- :(802) 656-8168 :(802) 656-0407
Department of Nutrition & Food Sciences
351 Marsh Life Science Building
University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405
Animal Science, Northeast Agricultural University (NEAU), Harbin, China
Dairy Technology, Thesis: Studies on Physico-chemical Composition and
Food Chemistry, Thesis: Heat-induced Modifications of Milk Proteins,
MingruoGuo, a food chemist and a full professor in the Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences at the University of Vermont (UVM), USA, received his B.S. and M.S. from the Northeast Agricultural University (NEAU), Harbin, China. He was awarded his Ph.D. degree in Food Chemistry from the National University of Ireland in 1990. He retuned to China in the same year and became a faculty member at NEAU and later promoted to the ranks of associate and full professor. In 1993, Dr. Guo and his family moved to Vermont and joined the Department of Animal and Food Sciences at the University of Vermont (UVM). He was recruited as associate professor in the Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences at UVM in 1999 and promoted to full professor in 2007. He teaches Functional Foods: Principles and Technology at UVM. Dr. Guo`s scholarly interests include human milk biochemistry and infant formula manufacturing technology, milk-, fruit-, soy-, and oats-based functional foods, the utilization of whey protein in creating functional foods and environmentally safe products; functional foods development, pre- and probiotics; component interactions in infant formula and nutritional products; biochemistry and technology of fermented dairy products; Ultrasound treatment of milk and apple cider; functional properties of milk proteins; goat’s milk chemistry and processing technology; buffalo milk chemistry and processing. He published the first textbook on functional foods in the US in 2007. A new book titled: Human milk biochemistry and infant formula manufacturing technology was published in 2014. He has published more than 150 research articles, book chapters and conference proceedings. As a food chemist he also collaborates with companies on numerous projects including food functional property analyses. His inventions in food science and environmentally safe products awarded him seven patents.His patented technology on infant formula formulation and processing resulted in three infant formula products currently manufactured and available on the market in China and another patent for making whey protein based environmentally safe wood finish products has been commercialized in USA since 2005.
- Whey protein based natural nano materials
- Functional foods design and development
- Whey protein based microcapsulation of probiotics
- Whey utilization and environmentally safe products
- Pre- and probiotics
- Milk-, soy, and oats-based functional foods
- Component interactions in infant formula & nutritional products
- Chemistry and technology of cheese and fermented dairy products
- Alternative treatments of milk and apple cider
- Functional and nutritional properties of milk proteins
- Goat's milk chemistry and processing technology
- Egg chemistry and processing
- Buffalo and yak milk chemistry and processing
Honors and Awards
- 1991 Excellent Paper Award of China Animal Products Processing Association
- 1992 Fok Ying Tung Young Teacher Award (Fok Y.T. Education Foundation, HK)
- 1993 Achievement Award in Higher Education Granted by the State Council of China
- 1996 The US Permanent Residency Awarded Under the Category of Outstanding
- Professor or Researcher
- Technical Advisor for the Mayor of Harbin City (91-94)
- Technical Advisor for VV Food and Beverage Co. Ltd. (2000-2003)
- Technical Advisor Beiya Dairy Co., Ltd. (2003-)
- Member of International Who is Who (2001)
- Member of United Who’s Who in Sci. and Engineering (2003, 2004)
- Member of Scientific Advisory Panel, DMI/National Milk Producers Federation. (2003)
- Chief Scientist of Beiya Dairy Inc., Daqing, China (2003-)
- Scientific Advisor to the City of Qiqihar, Heilongjiang Province, China
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering (05, 06, 07)
- Foreign Expert member of Spring Project of China Ministry of Education
- Adjunct Chief Scientist, Key Laboratory of Dairy Biochemistry at Inner Mongolia
- Agricultural University, Ministry of Education, China (2006-2011)
Member of Committees
-CALS Hatch Committee (2007-2010)
-CALS Honors Committee (2003-2005)
-CALS International Committee (2001-2005)
-University International Advisory Committee
-International Committee of American Dairy Science Association
-Vermont Dairy Industry Advisory
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- American Dairy Science Association (ADSA)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Society for Nutritional Sciences (ASNS)
- Guo, M. R., et al. 2015. Polymerized whey protein based microencapsulation of ginsenosides and the method for the same. Patent No. 201410109127.7
- Guo, M. R., et al. 2013. Whey protein polymerization and its application in yogurt making as a thickening agent. ZL. 201210196810.X.
- Guo, M. R. et al. 2013. Oat based symbiotic foods and the method of manufacturing the same. ZL 201110346090.6
- Guo, M.R. et al. 2011. Wood finishes and methods for their production. Canadian Patent CA2493192A1
- Guo M. R., et al. 2009. Environmentally safe wood finish coating systems using proteins and water-based resins as binding materials: US Patent No. 7556862.
- Guo, M. R. et al. 2012. Whey protein-based environmentally safe wood adhesives and methods of producing and using the same. Publication No. 2012-0183794-A1.
- Lou, C.Y., Bao, Z.X., Guo, M.R. 1996. Infant formula manufacturing technology. China Patent No. CN1129524
- Huang, M. and Guo, M.R. 1994. Instant Milk Powder Manufacture by using Multi-disk Centrifugal Atomizer Spray Drying. China Patent No. CN2163519
- Guo, M.R. Symboitic beverage/drink w/o carbonation and popsicles: Pending US 2006/0141097 A1 Environmentally safe wood adhesives containing whey proteins: Pending
- Human Milk Biochemistry and Infant Formula Manufacturing Technology. Guo, M. R. 2014. Elsevier Academic Press/Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Oxford, UK.
- Functional Foods: principles and technology. Guo, M.R. 2009. Woodhead Publishing, Ltd., Oxford, UK
- Functional Foods-Principles and Technology. Guo, M.R. 2007. CTI Publications Inc., MD, USA
- Functional Food Technology. Guo, M. R. 2011. China Light Industry Publishing House, Beijing, China
- Handbook of Dairy Science and Technology. Zhang, H. P. and Zhang, L.B. (eds), M.R.
- Guo (Chief Reviewer). 2005. China Light Industry Publishing House, Beijing, China.
- Goat's Milk and Goat's Milk Product Technology. Guo, M.R. and Luo, C. X. 1992. Heilongjiang Science & Technology Publishing House, Harbin, P. R. China.
- Milk and Dairy Product Technology. Luo, C. X. and Guo, M.R. 1992. China Agricultural Science Publishing House, Beijing, P. R. China.
- Milk and Dairy Product Technology Laboratory Manual. Guo, M.R., Sun , Z.H. and Cheng, T. 1992. Northeast Agricultural University Press, Harbin, P.R. China.
- Guo, M.R. 2015. Modified milks. In: Food Sciences. Online Database. Elsevier, Oxford, UK
- Guo, M.R. 2011. Modified milks. In: Encyclopedia of Dairy Sciences. H. Roginski, P.F. Fox, and J. Fuguay, eds. Academic Press, London (In press).
- Guo, M.R. and G. H. Hendricks. 2010. Improving buffalo milk. In: Improving the Safety and Quality of Milk. Mansl Griffiths, ed. pp 402-416.Woodhead Publishing Limited, London.
- Hendricks, G.H. and M.R. Guo. 2006. Significance of milk fat in infant formulae. In: Advances in Dairy Chemistry-2: Lipids, P.F. Fox and P.L. McSweeney, eds. pp467-479. Elsevier Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Silk, T.M., M. R. Guo, Y. Park and G. Haenlein. 2006. Yak Milk. In: Y. Park and G. Haenlein (eds), Handbook of milk of non-bovine mammals. pp345-353. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa.
- Park, Y. and M. R. Guo. 2006. Goat’s milk products. In: Y. Park and G. Haenlein (eds), Handbook of milk of non-bovine mammals. pp59-106. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa.
- Guo, M.R. 2003. Goat milk. In: Encyclopedia of Food Sciences and Nutrition. pp2944-2949.
- B. Caballero, L. Trugo, and P. Finglas, eds. Academic Press, London.
- Guo, M.R. and Smith, C.R. 2002. Modified milks. In: Encyclopedia of Dairy Sciences. H. Roginski, P.F. Fox, and J. Fuguay, eds. pp.1646-1650. Academic Press, London.
- Guo, M. R. and Kindstedt, P.S. 2001. Carnitine and its Applications in the Formulations of Infant Formula and Functional Foods. In: Advances in the Healthy Foods of China. Yu, S.Y. (ed), pp. 464-473, People’s Medical Publishing House, Beijing, China.
- Zhang, L.W., Guo, M.R. and Kindstedt, P.S. 2001. Functional Aspects of Fermented Dairy Products by Lactobacillus and Bafidobacteria. In: Advances in the Healthy Foods of China. Yu, S.Y. (ed), pp. 696-705, People’s Medical Publishing House, Beijing, China.
- Zhang, L.W., Guo, M.R. and Kindstedt, P.S. 2001. Chemistry and Utilization of Bovine Colostrum. In: Advances in the Healthy Foods of China. Yu, S.Y. (ed), pp. 552-564, People’s Medical Publishing House, Beijing, China.
- Guo, M. R. and Kindstedt, Paul S. 1996. New Nutritive Additives: Taurine and Carnitine. In: The Handbook of Chinese Nutraceutical Foods. Yu, S.Y. (ed), pp54-58, Heilongjiang Science & Technology Publishing House, Harbin, P.R. China.
- Guo, M. R., Kindstedt, Paul S. and Hseish, A. 1996. FDA Regulations of Health Claims for Food Labeling. In: The Handbook of Chinese Nutraceutical Foods. Yu, S.Y. (ed), pp173-181, Heilongjiang Science & Technology Publishing House, Harbin, P.R. China.
- Guo, M. R. 1986. Microbiology of Milk and Milk Products. In: Animal Products Processing Technology. Heilongjiang Sci. & Tech. Publishing House, Luo, C.X. (ed), pp18-29.
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Liu, D., Zhang , T., Jiang, N., Xi, C., Sun, C., Zheng, J., M. R. Guo. 2015. Effects of encapsulated fish oil by polymerized whey protein on the textural and sensory characteristics of low-fat yogurt. Polish J. of Food and Nutrition (in press).
- Yang, R., F. Gao, T. Zhang, and M.R. Guo. 2015. Effects of feeding hyperlipidemia rats with symbiotic oat based frozen yogurt on serum cholesterol and triglycerides. American J. of Clinical Nutrition (submitted).
- Wang, M., Gao, F., T. Zhang, and M.R. Guo. 2015. Microencapsulation of ginsenosides using polymerized whey protein as wall material and its application in probiotic fermented milk. Plos One. (submitted).
- Wang, G. and M.R. Guo. 2015. Whey protein polymerization and its applications in environmentally safe adhesives. International Journal of Dairy Technology (in press).
- Zhang, T., J. McCarthy, G. Wang, Y. Liu, M. R. Guo.. 2015. Physiochemical properties, microstructure and probiotic survivability of non-fat goats’ milk yogurt using heat-treated whey protein concentrate as fat replacer. J. Food Sci. 80:M788-794.
- Wang C. N., Gao, F., M. R. Guo. 2015. Physiochemical, textural, sensory properties and probiotic survivability of Chinese Laosuan Nai (protein fortified set yoghurt) using polymerized whey protein as a co-thickening agent. Intern. J. Dairy Tech. 67:doi:10.1111/1471-0307.12186.
- Guo, M.R. 2014. Dairy Industry of China-what we can learn from other countries. China Dairy Industry, 42(4):50-53.
- Walsh, H., J.J. Cheng, M.R. Guo. 2014 Effects of carbonation on probiotic survivability, physicochemical and sensory Properties of milk-based symbiotic beverages. J. Food Sci. M604-613.
- Ahmad, S., T.H. Zhang, Liu, Y.Y., X.D. Li, M.R. Guo. 2013. Seasonal variations in chemical composition of buffalo milk. Buffalo Bulletin, 32, SI2, 1324-1329.
- Guo, M.R. 2013. Dairy industry of China: Challenges, opportunities and suggestions.China Dairy, 2013(3):72-75.
- Wang, G. and M.R. Guo. 2013. Adhesive property and storage stability of whey protein-sucrose Based safe paper glue. J. Applied Polymer Science, DOI:10.1002/APP.3971.
- Wang, G., T. Zhang, J. Cheng, S. Ahmad and M. Guo. 2012. Physicochemical and adhesion properties, microstructure and storage stability of whey protein-based paper glue”. Intern. J. Adhesion & Adhesives. 41:198-205.
- Wang, G.R. J. J. Cheng, L. Zhang, and M.R. Guo. 2012. Physiochemical and functional properties, microstructure and storage stability of whey protein/polyvinylpyrrolindone based Glue sticks. BioResources, 7:5422-5434.
- Han X., L.W. Zhang, and M.R. Guo. 2012. Survivability of probiotics in symbiotic law fat buffalo milk yogurt. African J. of Biotechnology, 11:12331-12338.
- Li, S., S. Gokavi, M.R. Guo. 2012. Interactions between Lactobacillus acidophilus strains and starter cultures LB350/ST350 during fermentation of goat’s milk. African J. of Biotechnology, 11:11271-11279.
- Wang, W., Z. Zhao, Z. Gao, and M. R. Guo. 2012. Water-resistant whey protein based wood Adhesive modified by post-treated phenol-formaldehyde oilgomers (PFO). Bioresources, 7(2):1972-1983.
- Zhang, T. H., Zhang, Z.D., H.Y., Yan, D. Li, Z.N. Yang and M.R. Guo. 2012. Effects of stabilizers and exopolysaccharides on physiochemical properties of fermented skim milk by Streptococcus thermophilus ST1. African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(12):6123-6130..
- Wang, W, Y. Bao, G. Hendricks, M. R. Guo. 2012. Improving functionality of probiotic goat’s milk yogurt using polymerized whey protein as a co-thickening agent. Intern. Dairy J.24:113-119.
- Zhao, Z. Gao, Z., W. Wang and M. R. Guo 2011. Formulation and characterization of whey protein based aqueous polymer–isocyanate (API) adhesives for structural woods I. Formulation and processing technology. Pigments & Resin Technology. 40(6):410-417.
- Wenbo Wang, Zongyan Zhao, Zhenhua Gao, and M.R. Guo. 2011. Whey protein-based water resistant and environmentally safe adhesives for plywood. BioResources.
- Gao, Z. Yu, G., Bao, Y. and M.R. Guo. 2011. Whey protein based environmentally friendly wood adhesives. Pigment and Resin Technology, 40(1):42-48.
- Gao, Z., Wang, W., Z. Zhao, and M. Guo, 2010. Novel whey-protein based Aqueous Polymer–Isocyanate (API) adhesive for Glulam. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 120:220-225.
- Cheng, J.J., Li, X., M.R. Guo, 2011. Optimization of bacteriocin production by lactobacillus plantarum B28 . China Dairy Industry, 39(4):16-22.
- Cheng,J.J., X. Li, M.R. Guo. 2011. Antibacterial mechanism of plantaricin by Lactobacillus plantarum B-28, China Dairy Industry, 39(5):31-33.
- Wang, W., Z. Zhao, Z. Gao, M. R. Guo. 2010. Environmentally safe aqueous adhesive prepared using whey proteins for water-resistant plywood. China Adhesion 31(9):50-54
- Christiansen, S., M. R. Guo and Derek Kjelden. 2010. Chemical composition and nutrient profile of low molecular weight fraction of bovine colostrum. International Dairy J. 20:630-636.
- Walsh, H., J. Ross, and M.R. Guo. 2010. Physiochemical characteristics, probiotic viability and microstructure of an oat-based yogurt like product. J. Food Science. 75(5):M327-337.
- Wu, R., L. Wang, H. Li, Bi, Menghe, J. Wu, M. R. Guo, H. Zhang, 2009. Isolation and preliminary probiotic selection of lactobacilli from koumiss in Inner Mongolia. J. Basic Microbiology. 4:318-326.
- Zhang, H., S Gokavi, Y.W. Young, M.R. Guo. 2009. Chemical composition of home made goat’s milk cake (fresh cheese). Australian J. of Dairy Technology 64:170-174.
- Zhang, H. Wand, J. Menghebilige, Chen, Y, Yun, Y. Sun, T. Li, H. Guo, M.R. 2009. Nutritive composition of Tarag, the traditional naturally-fermented goat milk in China. Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 48:112-122.