- :(919) 684-3787
Department of Medicine (Division of Gastroenterology)
|High School||Faujdarhat Cadet College, Bangladesh||1968 to 1972||SSC|
|College||Faujdarhat Cadet College, Bangladesh||1972 to 1974||HSC|
|Professional School||Dhaka Medical College, Bangladesh||1975 to 1982||MBBS|
|Royal Australasian College of Physicians||1996||FRACP|
|American Board of Internal Medicine||2010||IM Board Certification|
|2011||GI Board Certification|
Dr. Mahfuzul Haque is a gastroenterologist in Durham, North Carolina and is affiliated with multiple hospitals in the area, including Duke Regional Hospital and Duke University Hospital. He received his medical degree from Dhaka Medical College. Dr. Haque accepts several types of health insurance, listed below. He is one of 29 doctors at Duke Regional Hospital and one of 56 at Duke University Hospital who specialize in Gastroenterology.
- Interventional Endoscopy
- ESD etc,
Professional awards and special recognitions:
- 2001 Lange Prize (Ex Prime Minister of New Zealand) for best scientific presentation.
- 2010 Paul Killenberg MD Faculty Teaching Award.
Organizations and participation: (Offices held, committee assignments, etc.)
- Member since 1995: American Gastroenterological Association.
- Member since 1997: American Society for Gastro-Intestinal Endoscopy.
- Member since 2001: New Zealand Society of Gastroenterology.
- Member since 2005: Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America.
- Treasurer (2007-9): North Carolina Society of Gastroenterology.
Teaching responsibilities including continuing education:
- General GI teaching of GI fellows at DUMC and DVAMC.
- Endoscopy teaching & training of GI fellows at DUMC and DVAMC.
- ERCP teaching & training of advanced GI fellow.
- Team leader for Monthly GI case conference.
- Endoscopy retraining of Drs. John Cohn and Ayako Suzuki.
Additional Specialized Training:
- Completed advanced training in endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS); May to December 2012.
- Completed Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD) Master Class training, University of Colorado; August 2014 to October 2014.
Areas of research interests:
- Double guide wire vs. single guide wire technique for difficult biliary cannulation: A randomized trial.On-going study.
- Duke Endoscopic Competency Assessment Tool (DECAT): Validation study. Submitted for IRB approval.
- Effect of Magnetic Endoscopic Imaging (ScopeGuide) on Colonoscopy Training. Awaiting submission for IRB approval.
Quality Improvement (QI) in endoscopy:
- Developed QI process in Colonoscopy which is widely accepted as the standard in most teaching hospitals in New Zealand. 1999.
- Photo-documentation as method of establishing completeness of colonoscopy. Completed this study in 2007.
- QI in ERCP. Implemented prospective data collection at Pitt Memorial Hospital, Greenville, NC. 2005.
Clinical activity - type of practice and estimate of time commitment:
- Out-patient clinic: 1 session per week. Pancreato-biliary clinic.
- General endoscopy sessions: 4 sessions per week. Routine endoscopy as well as some referred by other gastroenterologists/surgeons for complex interventions (Radio-frequency ablation, stent placement, difficult polyp etc).
- Advanced Endoscopy (ERCP): 4 sessions per week (2 at DUMC and 2 at DVAMC).
- In-patient consultation service: Approximately 1 month per year.
Participation in academic and administrative activities of the University and Medical Center:
Director, GI Endoscopy Unit, Durham VA Medical Center.
- Four functional procedure room endoscopy unit (two additional rooms are available for full function in future), performing over 5,000 endoscopic procedures per year.
- Provide clinical leadership and administrative support.
- Staff education and training.
- Advise on schedule, equipment, quality improvement etc.
Physician representative GI-Bronchoscopy PERT/VAT Committee DUMC:
- Responsible for quality improvement and purchase recommendations for existing and new equipment & accessories.
- Development of a new dyspepsia impact scale: the Napean Dyspepsia Index. Talley NJ; Haque M; Wyeth JW; Stace NH; Tytgat GNJ; Stanghellini V; Holtman G; Verlinnden M and Jones M. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1999; 13: 225-235.
- Prediction of choledocholithiasis in patients undergoing ERCP for symptomatic gallstones. Broadhurst G; Haque M and Poole G. Aust NZ J Surg 1999; 69 (suppl): A51.
- Prevalence, severity and associated features of gastro-oesophageal reflux and dyspepsia: a population-based study. Haque M; Wyeth JW; Stace NH; Talley NJ; Green R. NZ Med L 2000; 113: 178-81.
- Outcomes of Colonoscopy Quality Improvement (QI) project. Haque M; Parry S and Gerred S. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2002; 55 (5): AB181.
- Factors predictive of a difficult colonoscopy: does experience make a difference? Czajkowski M; Gerred S; Haque M; Parry S. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2005; 61 (5): AB149.
- Non-Steroidal anti-inflammatory drug induced gastrointestinal strictures: two case reports. Ramasamy D; Khoury JE and Haque M. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2006; 101 (S2): S250.
- Medicaid patients with colorectal cancer are rarely diagnosed by screening colonoscopy. Weed MT; Rosenberg A; Burke L; Haque M; Vos P; Brinson M and Aravapalli A. Gastroenterology 2008; 134 (4 Suppl 1): A-182.
- Management of occluded metal stent in malignant biliary obstruction: similar outcomes with second metal stent compared to plastic stents. Shah T, Desai S, Haque M, Dakik H and Fisher D. Dig Dis Sci. 2012 Nov; 57(11): 2765-73.
- Rotational Assisted Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography in patients with surgically altered anatomy: 3 year single tertiary care center experience. Zouhairi M, Desai S, Swartz D, Castillo-Roth A, Haque M, Jowell P, Branch M, Burbridge R. World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2015 Mar 16;7(3):278-82.
- How to treat Dyspepsia. Haque M.New Zealand Doctor, October 10, 2001.
- How to treat Gastro-esophageal Reflux. Haque M. New Zealand Doctor, May 22, 2002.
- Nurse-assisted Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG) tube placement. Watkins J; Haque M. Abstract presented at NZSG annual scientific meeting 1999.
- Out-of-hours endoscopy at Middlemore hospital: is it appropriate? Brooks R; Parry S & Haque M. Abstract presented at the NZSG annual scientific meeting Nov 2002.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease at Middlemore hospital. Ogra R; Haque M & Parry S. Abstract presented at the NZSG annual scientific meeting Nov 2002.
- Prophylactic polypectomy for Peutz-Jegher syndrome. Gerred S; Haque M & Parry S. the NZSG annual scientific meeting Nov 2002.
- Outcomes of Colonoscopy Quality Improvement (QI) Project. Mahfuzul Haque, Susan Parry, Stephen Gerred. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2002; 55 (5): AB181.
- Factors Predictive of a Difficult Colonoscopy: Does Experience Make a Difference? Marek Czajkowski, Stephen Gerred, Mahfuzul Haque, Susan Parry. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2005; 61 (5): AB149.
- Endoscopic management of pancreatic pseudocysts. Ramasamy D; Haque M. Abstract presented at The Brody School of Medicine Annual Research Day 2005.
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy and its Complications. Ramasamy D; Haque M. Abstract presented at The Brody School of Medicine Annual Research Day 2005.
- An unusual case of Upper GI bleeding. Khoury J; Ramasamy D & Haque M. Abstract presented at The Brody School of Medicine Annual Research Day 2006.
- Reliability of cecal photo-documentation as evidence of complete colonoscopy. Abadie S & Haque M. Abstract presented at The Brody School of Medicine Annual Research Day 2008.
- Medicaid patients with colorectal cancer are rarely diagnosed by screening colonoscopy. Weed M; Rosenberg A; Burke L; Haque M & Vos P. Abstract presented at the Gastrointestinal Cancer symposium, Florida, January 2008.
- Documentation of Complete Colonoscopy: Can we do it better? Abadie S, Haque M. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2008; 67(5): AB247.
- Using Discrete Event Simulation to design an Endoscopy Suite Configuration. Taheri J; Gellad Z; Haque M. Abstract presented at the HSR&D 2011 National Meeting.
- Management of Occluded Self-Expandable Metallic Stents in Patients with Malignant Biliary Obstruction: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Tilak S, Desai S, Haque M, Dakik H, Fisher D. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2012; 75 (4S): AB487.
- Rotational Assisted Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography in patients with surgically altered anatomy: 3 year single tertiary care center experience. Zouhairi M, Desai S, Swartz D, Castillo-Roth A, Haque M, Jowell P, Branch M, Burbridge R. DDW May 2013.
- Prophylactic pancreatic stents: Factors affecting migration, and utility of aggressive follow- up. Swartz D, Desai S, Haque M, Jowell P, Branch M, Burbridge R. DDW May 2013.