Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Department of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago
|1989||B.S. in Biology||Wuhan University||Wuhan, China|
|1992||M.S. in Genetics||Wuhan University||China|
|1998||Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology||1998Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology||Beijing, China|
Dr. Jun Sun joined University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) in Sept. 2015. Before Joining UIC, she was a tenured Associate Professor at Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, U.S.A. (Dec. 2011- August 2015). Before joining Rush University in 2011, she was an Assistant Professor of Medicine, Microbiology, and Immunology at the University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, where she has been on the faculty since 2007. From 2002 to 2007, she served as a Research Associate (Assistant Professor) at the University of Chicago. Dr. Sun earned a B.S. and a M.S. in Genetics from Wuhan University, China and a Ph.D. in Biochemistry from Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Beijing, China. She did postdoctoral work at the National Cancer Institute, NIH for cancer research (Dr. William Stetler-Stevenson) in 2000 and Emory University for intestinal inflammation research (Dr. James Madara) in 2001. Her research interests are host-bacterial interactions in inflammation and cancer. Her key achievements include (1) characterization of gut microbiome and vitamin D receptor in intestinal homeostasis and inflammation, and (2) identification and characterization of the Salmonella effector protein AvrA that activates the beta-catenin pathway and inhibits intestinal epithelial inflammation in host-bacterial interactions. Her senior-authored publications on VDR and bacteria was highlighted in Nature Reviews in 2011 and recently published in Gut, the leading GI journal, in 2014. In the 2014 James W. Freston meeting: Therapeutic Innovations in Microbiome Research and Technology, AGA, her group was awarded two travel awards (out of total 8 awards). She was also invited to write reviews, editorials, and comments on microbiome and human diseases published for peer-reviewed journals. She will organize and chair a Featured Topic Symposium entitled “Mechanisms underlying host-microbiome interactions in pathophysiology of human diseases”, for the Experimental Biology and an APS internal symposium on microbiome in 2016.
Dr. Sun is a fellow of American Gastroenterological Associate (AGA). She has published over 110 scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals, including Cell Stem Cells, Nature Reviews, Gut, JBC, American Journal of Pathology, and American Journal of Physiology-GI. She is the senior author/corresponding author for over 40 research papers and 20 reviews. She is in the editorial board of more than 10 peer-reviewed international scientific journals. She services study sections for the NIH, American Cancer Society, and other research foundations. Her research is supported by the NIH NIDDK, NY State STEM IDEAL Award, the American Cancer Society Research Scholar Award and a few other research awards. She is also an inventor of four therapeutic patents for anti-inflammation and anti-cancer. Her lab has developed the first model using intestinal-stem derived organoids to study host-bacterial interactions (Physiological Reports, 2014). Her featured paper also reports a novel humanized mouse model to study the tumor progress in HIV infection (AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, 2014).
Dr. Sun's research interests are host-bacterial interactions in inflammation and cancer. Using cultured models, transgenic mouse models, germ-free piglets, and human samples, her lab is currently working on the following directions:
1. Novel roles of gut microbiome in colon cancer, IBD, infectious diseases, ALS, and other human diseases.
2. Bacterial regulation of vitamin D receptor in inflammation and cancer.
3. Bacterial regulation of intestinal stem cells.
Leadership and Committee in Professional Societies (terms)
- American Physiology Society Awards Committee (2011-2014)
- American Physiology Society International Committee (Jan. 1, 2015-Dec. 31 2017)
- Research Advisory Committee, Illinois Division/American Cancer Society (2012-2013)
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Women’s Committee (2012-2015)
- AGA Women’s Council (2014-)
- Nominating Committee for the Intestinal Disorders Section(AGA Institute Council) (2012-2014)
- Nominated for the AGA Nominate Committee (2014, 2015)
- AGA Institute's abstract review committee for DDW® 2015
- AGA China Task Force 2015-
- Society Membership
- 1996-1999 Senior Member of Chinese Pharmacology Society
- Member of the Chinese Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Society
- 2000- present Member of the American Society for Cell Biology (requiring election)
- 2001- present Member of American Gastroenterological Associate (requiring election)
- 2004- present Member of the American Physiological Society (requiring election)
- 2005- present Member of American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2007- 2010 International Membership for the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology (requiring election)
- 2007-present Member of New York Academy Science
- 2009- 2013 American Society For Microbiology
- 2010-present American Association for Cancer Research
- Reviewer for Funding Agencies
- NIH (2013-)
- NIDDK DDK-C Grant Review Subcommittee, 2015
- Botanical Dietary Supplement Research Centers (BDSRC) (P50) review meeting, NCCAM/NIH together with the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS/NIH), 2015
- Digestive, Kidney and Urological Systems IRG [DKUS], 2014
- Special Emphasis Panel/Scientific Review Group, HIV and Aging, ZRG1 AARR-K(58), 2013
- American Cancer Society(2011-)
- Microbial Pathogen and Cancer, Peer Review Committee permanent member
- Tri-granting-council program of the Government of Canada (2015)
- The College of Reviewers for the Canada Research Chairs Program
- Medical Research Council, UK, 2014
- Cancer Research UK, (2013)
- French National Research Agency (2012)Blue Sky (Blanc) program,
- Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia (2012-)
- Boston Area Diabetes Endocrinology Research Center (2012)
- National Council for Scientific Research,Romanian Government (2011-2012)
- National Science Foundation (2010)
- Chemistry of Life Processes, Program in the Division of Chemistry
- Reviewer for Professional Journals and publishers
- Specialty Editor in Chief onWebmedCentralplus Gastroenterology (2014-)
- Senior Editorial Board
- American Journal of Stem Cells (2013-)
- Editorial Board
- PLoS One(2011-)
- (Handling about 20 manuscripts per year; edited the first Formal Comment in PLoS One in May 2014)
- Advances in Microbiology (2012-)
- Physiological Reports(2013-)
- (Online-only journal for The American Physiological Society and The Physiological Society)
- International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pathology(2013-)
- World Journal of Gastrointestinal Pathophysiology(2013-)
- World Journal of Translational Medicine(2013-)
- World Journal of Stem Cells(2013-)
- Nuclear Receptor Research (2015-)
- Editorial Advisory Board Chinese Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology(2009-2011)
- Guest EditorAnti-Inflammatory & Anti-Allergy Agents in Medicinal Chemistry
(Theme Issue “Microbiota, Innate immune, and Anti-inflammation”, AIAA-MC-Vol.8 No.2, September 2009).
- Reviewer fora book proposal on microbiome from the Wiley Publisher(2014).
- Reviewers Panel Medical Science MonitorInternational(2007-)
- Reviewer for JCI, Gastroenterology, JBC,Journal of Cellular Biochemistry,FEBS Journal, American Journal of Gastroenterology, AJP- Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology,ACS Nano,Laboratory Investigation, Infection and Immunity, Cancer Letter, BMC Cancer, BMC Microbiology, BMC Research Notes, Cellular Microbiology, PLoS One, Pediatric Research, Inflammation Research, Neoplasia, Medical Oncology,Toxicology Letters, Toxins, Journal of Medical Virology, Liver International, Viral Immunology,Virology Journal,Indian Journal of Medical Research, Medical Science Monitor, Yonsei Medical Journal (Korea), African Journal of Microbiology Research, Frontier of Medicine, et al.
- Reviewer for study sections at Rush University
- Piccolo Funding, Rush Cancer Center, Nov., 2012
- Study Section member, Pilot Award Rush University and the Rush Translational Science Consortium (RTSC), July, 2013.
- Study Section member, Women’s Cancer Pilot Award, Rush University and the Rush Cancer Center, December, 2013
- Study Section member, Swim Across America Cancer Pilot Award, Rush University and the Rush Cancer Center, March, 2014; January, 2015, July 2015
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 1985–1989 Student in Academic Excellence Award with National Scholarship, Wuhan University, China
- 1990Guanghua (Aetna) Scholarship for Outstanding Graduate Student,Wuhan University, China
- 1997 Awarded Excellent Thesis Prize, The Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
- 1998 Ph.D. Student in Academic Excellence Award, Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Beijing, China Outstanding Research Paper, 1st International Conference on Bio. Therapy and Modern Cancer Treatment, Outstanding Research Paper, The Chinese Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Society
- 1999 Excellent Teacher, Nanfang Medical University
- National Prize of Advancement of Science and Technology, China Ministry of Education
- 2000-2001 John E. Fogarty international NIH Training Grant, NIH
- 2002 American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)– Presidential Oral Plenary Presentation,
- 2003-2005 Pilot and Feasibility Award, DDRCC, The University of Chicago (DK42086),
- 2004 American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)– Distinguish Poster Presentation,
- Special Researcher, Department of Pathology, The University of Chicago, 2004
- 2006 AGA Academic Skills Workshop Travel Award,
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) Travel Award for scientific workshop on “Microbial-Host Interactions in IBD”, 2006
- 2007 AGA– Presidential Oral Plenary Presentation
- 2008 NIH NIDDK Career Development Award,
- AGA Abstract of Distinction
- Nominated by Dr. David Guzick, Dean of the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, for the New York Academy of Sciences Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists (These awards have been created to celebrate the excellence of the most noteworthy and innovative scientists from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.),
- 2009 American Cancer Society Research Scholar Award,
- Nominated by Dr. David Guzick for the Burroughs Wellcome Fund Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease Award, for the Harry J. Lloyd grant for basic research
- Travel Award for the NIH NIDDK New Investigators’ Workshop, April, 2009
- Travel Award for Harry and Elsa Jiler—American Cancer Society Professors Meeting.
- 3D-Gene Competition Award for Microarray Analysis, Toray Industries, Inc. Japan.
- 2009-2011 AGA– Oral Presentation in Topic Forum at Digestive Disease Week (DDW)
- 2010 New York Developmental or Exploratory Activities Award for Stem Cell Research
- 2010 Special Award for Junior Faculty, Department of Medicine, University of Rochester
- 2011 Third Place Prize in the Probiotics Challenge 2011, AGA Institute and Institute Rosell-Lallemand
- 2011 Visiting Professorship, UNESCO-American Society for Microbiology visiting resource person program
- 2012 Highly rated paper, American Association for Cancer Research 2012 annual meeting, Chicago,
- 2012Swim Across America Cancer Research Award
- 2013-2015 Invited Table Leader for Women’s Career Discussion, AGA, DDW, 2013-2015
- 2014 AGA Women’s Leadership Conference (selected invitation), Jan. 30, 2014. Dallas, TX
- Invited mentor for the Mentor and Advisor Event, Digestive Disease Week 2014
- 2015-American Gastroenterological Association Fellow (AGAF)
- 2015John Forte GIL Section Distinguished Abstract Plenary Session, Experimental Biology, Three Oral Presentations in AGA Topic Forum,Digestive Disease Week 2015
- Invited mentor for the Mentor and Advisor Event, Digestive Disease Week 2015
- Invited mentor for the AGA/CSG symposium 2015
- NIH NIDDK R01 Award
- Brian Piccolo Cancer Award
- National ALS Association Award
- 2016 American Cancer Society Ambassador
Original scientific articles
- Jun Sun, Yingguo Zhu. The ultrastructure of cholorplast in the development of HPGMR. Journal of Wuhan University (Natural Science Edition). 3, 117-123, 1994.
- Jun Sun, Yingguo Zhu. The ultrastructure of pollen and anther wall in the development of Hubei photoperiod-sensitive genetic male-sterile rice. ActaAgronomicaSinica. 21(3), 364-367, 1995.
- Wang Yuxia, Jun Sun. Adrenergic system and the mechanism of soman poisoning. Bull. Acad. Mil. Med. Sci., 22(3), 227-229, 1998.
- Jun Sun. Efficient extra DNA from apoptotic cells. Bulletin of Biology. 33, 28, 1998.
- Jun Sun, Manji Sun. Using mRNA differential display PCR (DD-PCR) to detect the molecular mechanism of apoptosis induced by alkylating agents. International J. of Modern Cancer Therapy. 1, 83-84, 1998
- Jun Sun, Yuxia Wang, Manji Sun. Apoptosis and necrosis induced by sulfur mustard in HeLa cells. ActaPharmacologicaSinnica, 5, 445-448, 1999.
- Jun Sun, Manji Sun. Prophylatic effect of methylene blue against neurotoxicity of sodium nitroprusside. ActaPharmacologicaSinnica, 2,185-187, 1999.
- Jun Sun, ShenqiuLuo. Apoptosis induced by alkylating agents in human cervical carcinoma epidermal cells. Chin. Physical Med. J., 5,11-13, 1999.
- Jun Sun, Yuxia Wang, Manji Sun. Ultrastructure changes induced by sulfur mustard in Hela cells. Chinese Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 1,77-78, 1999.
- Yuxia Wang, Junhua Wu, Jun Sun, Manji Sun. Protective effect of clonidine against soman intoxication. Chinese Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 14(1), 12-15, 2000.
- Jun Sun, Yuxia Wang, Manji Sun. N-aetyl L-cysteine and Glutathione antagonize sulfur mustard in inducing cell apoptosis and necrosis. Chinese J. of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 14(1), 26-30, 2000.
- Didier Merlin, Shanthi V. Sitaraman, Xia Liu, Karen Eastburn, Jun Sun, TorstenKucharzik, Brain Lewis, James L. Madara. CD98-mediated links between amino acid transport and beta 1 integrin distribution in polarized columnar epithelia. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276(42), 39282-9, 2001.
- Lauren S. Collier, HuiZeng, Jun Sun, Amelia D. Tomlinson, Zhao Qin Bao, Huaqun Chen, James L. Madara, Kim Orth, Andrew S. Neish. Cutting edge: SalmonellaAvrA effector inhibits the key proinflammatory, anti-apoptotic NF-kappa B pathway. J Immunology. 169(6), 2846-50, 2002.
- Jun Sun#, Michael Hobert, Anjali Rao, Andrew S. Neish, James. L. Madara. Bacterial activation of beta-catenin signaling in human epithelia. American Journal of Physiology-GI and Liver, 287(1): G220-7, 2004(# Corresponding author).
- Jun Sun#, Michael Hobert, YinglinDuan, Anjali Rao, T.C. He, Eugene B Chang, James. L. Madara. Cross talk between NF-kappaB and Beta-catenin pathways in bacterial-colonized epithelial cells. American Journal of Physiology-GI and Liver, G129-137, 2005(# Corresponding author).
- Jun Sun, Juan Kong,YingliDuan, Anne P. Liao,Frances Szeto, James L. Madara and Yan Chun Li. Increased NF-kappaB Activity in Fibroblasts Lacking the Vitamin D Receptor. American Journal of Physiology- Endocrinology and Metabolism, 291(2): E315-E322, 2006.
- Jun Sun#, PamFegan, James. L. Madara. Michael Hobert. Salmonella Typhimurium flagelin-induced self-tolerance in intestinal epithelial cells. American Journal of Physiology-GI and Liver, 292(3): G767-78, 2007(# Corresponding author).
- YingliDuan, Anne Liao, Sumalatha Kuppiredd, Zhongde Ye, Mae J Ciancio, Jun Sun. Beta-catenin activity negatively regulates bacteria- induced inflammation. Laboratory Investigation (Nature Publishing Group). 87(6):613-24. 2007(cover story).
- Zhongde Ye, Elaine O. Petrof, David Boone, Erika C. Claud, Jun Sun. Salmonella effector AvrA regulation of colonic epithelial cell inflammation by deubiquitination. Am. J. of Pathology, 171(3):882-92, 2007.
- Frances Szeto, Jun Sun, James L. Madara and Yan Chun Li. Involvement of the vitamin D receptor in the regulation of NF-kappaB activity in fibroblasts. J Steroid BiochemMol Biol. 2007;103:563-6.
- Anne P. Liao, Elaine O. Petrof, SumalathaKuppireddi, Yun Zhao, Yinglin Xia Erika C. Claud, Jun Sun. Salmonella type III effector AvrA stabilizes cell tight junctions to inhibit inflammation in intestinal epithelial cells. PLos One.3(6):e2369, 2008
- Erika C. Claud, Xiaoqiong Zhang, Elaine O. Petrof, Jun Sun. Developmentally regulated tumor necrosis factor-α induced nuclear factor-κB activation in intestinal epithelium.American Journal of Physiology-GI and Liver, 292(5):G1411-9. 2007
- Juan Kong, Zhongyi Zhang, Mark Musch, Gang Ning, Jun Sun, John Hart, Marc Bissonnette, and Yan Li. The Vitamin D receptor protects the integrity of the intestinal mucosal barrier. American Journal of Physiology-GI and Liver, 294(1):G 208-16, 2008.
- Elaine O. Petrof, Mark W. Musch, Mae Ciancio, Jun Sun, Michael E. Hobert , Erika C. Claud, Andrew Gewirtz, and Eugene B. Chang. Flagellin is required for Salmonella-induced expression of heat shock protein Hsp25 in intestinal epithelium. Am. Journal of Physiology-GI and Liver,294(3):G808-18, 2008.
- Erika C. Claud, Jing Lu, Xue Qing Wang, Elaine O. Petrof, Jun Sun,Deborah J. Nelson , Jeremy Marks, TamasJilling. Platelet-activating Factor induced chloride channel activation is associated with intracellular acidosis and apoptosis of intestinal epithelial cells. American Journal of Physiology-GI and Liver, 294(5):G1191-200, 2008.
- Jun Sun#, Reba Mustafi, Sonia Cerda, AnusaraChumsangsri, Yinglin R Xia, Yan Chun Li, Marc Bissonnette.Lithocholic acid down-regulation of NF-kappaB activity through Vitamin D Receptor in colonic cancer cells. The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 111(1-2):37-40. 2008 (# Corresponding author).
- Shaoping Wu, Yinglin Xia, Xingyin Liu, and Jun Sun. Vitamin D receptor deletion leads to reduced level of IkappaBalpha protein through protein translation, protein-protein interaction, and post-translational modification. International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, doi:10.1016/j.biocel.2009.11.012, 2009.
- Elaine O. Petrof, Erika C. Claud, Jun Sun,Tatiana Abramova, YueeGuo, Tonya Waypa, Shu-Mei He, Yasushi Nakagawa and Eugene B. Chang. A bacteria-free solution derived from Lactobacillus plantarum inhibits multiple NF-kappaB pathways and inhibits proteasome function. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. 2009. 15(10): 1537-47.
- Yunwei Wang, Jeanette D. Hoenig, Kathryn M Malin, Elaine O Petrof, Jun Sun,Dionysios A Antonopoulos, Eugene B. Chang, Erika C. Claud. 16S rRNA gene-based analysis of fecal microbiota from preterm infants with and without necrotizing enterocolitis.The ISME J:Multidisciplinary Journal of Microbial Ecology (Nature Publishing Group). 2009. 3(8):944-54. PMCID: PMC2713796.
- Jun Sun# and William G Stetler-Stevenson. Overexpression of Tissue Inhibitors of Metalloproteinase 2 Up-regulates NF-kappaB Activity in Melanoma Cells. Journal of Molecular Signaling 2009, 4:4. doi:/10.1186/1750-2187-4-4 (# Corresponding author).
- Xingyin Liu, Rong Lu, Shaoping Wu, Jun Sun. Salmonella regulation of intestinal stem cells through the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway. FEBS Letter, 584: 911-916, 2010 March 5, 2010 (NIHMS171247, Publ.ID: FEBS33793)(Cover story).
- Shaoping Wu, Rong Lu, Yong-guo Zhang, and Jun Sun: Chronic Salmonella infected mouse model. Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE). http://www.jove.com/index/details.stp?id=1947, doi: 10.3791/1947. March. 2010.
- Shaoping Wu, Zhongde Ye, Xingyin Liu, Yun Zhao, Yinglin Xia, Andrew Steiner, Elaine O. Petrof, Erika C. Claud, Jun Sun. “Salmonella Typhimurium infection increases p53 acetylation in intestinal epithelial cells.” American Journal of Physiology -GI and Liver, 298: G784-G794, 2010. PMID:20224008
- Rong Lu, Shaoping Wu,Xingyin Liu, Xinglin Xia, Yong-guo Zhang, Jun Sun. Chronic effects of a Salmonella type III secretion effector protein AvrA in vivo. PLoS One, http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0010505. May 5 2010.PMC2864765.
- Shaoping Wu, Anne P Liao, Yinglin Xia, Yan Chun Li, Jian-Dong Li, Balfour Sartor, and Jun Sun. Vitamin D receptor negatively regulates intestinal epithelial NF-kappaB activity with bacterial stimulation. Am. J. of Pathology. 2010,177: 686-697. PMID: 20566739.
- Jun Ma, Yong-guo Zhang, Jun Sun. Inflammatory cytokine tumor necrosis factor stimulation modulates the expressions of Salmonella typhimurium effector proteins. Journal of Inflammation. 2010, 7:42doi:10.1186/1476-9255-7-42
- Xingyin Liu, Rong Lu, Yinglin Xia, Jun Sun. Global analysis of the eukaryotic signaling pathways regulated by Salmonellatyphimurium in intestinal infection in vivo. BMC Genomics. 2010,11:722 (Highly accessed article).
- Xingyin Liu, Rong Lu, Yinglin Xia, Shaoping Wu, Jun Sun. Eukaryotic signaling pathways targeted by Salmonella effector protein AvrA in intestinal infection in vivo. BMC Microbiology. 2010. 10:326(Highly accessed article).
- Sheng-RuShiou, Yueyue Yu, Sangzi Chen, Elaine O Petrof, Jun Sun, and Erika C. Claud. Erythropoietin protects against necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) and maintains intestinal epithelial barrier function through upregulation of tight junction protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry,286 (14) 12123–12132, 2011.
- Isaac K. Sundar, Jae-Woong Hwang, Shaoping Wu, Jun Sun,and Irfan Rahman (co-senior-authored).Deletion of vitamin D receptor leads to premature emphysema/COPD by increased matrix metalloproteinases and lymphoid aggregates formation. Biochemicaland Biophysical Research Communications. 406(1) 127-133, 2011.
- Xingyin Liu, Shaoping Wu, Yuxuan Xia, Xi Li, Yinglin Xia, Zhongren Zhou, and Jun Sun. Wingless homolog Wnt11 suppresses bacterial invasion and inflammation in intestinal epithelial cells. American Journal of Physiology-GI and Liver, G992-G1003 2011.PMID:21903761
- Xingyin Liu, Rong Lu, Shaoping Wu,Yinglin Xia, Yongguo Zhang, R. Balfour Sartor, Jun Sun. Wnt 2 inhibits bacterial-induced intestinal inflammation in epithelial cells. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases18(3):418-29 2012.doi: 10.1002/ibd.21788.]PMID: 21674728.
- Yong-guo Zhang, Shaoping Wu, Yinglin Xia, Di Chen, Elaine O. Petrof, Erika C. Claud, Wei Hsu, Jun Sun. Enteric bacteria exploit Axin1 in intestinal inflammation. PLoS One,7(4): e34942.2012.
- Rong Lu, Xingyin Liu, Shaoping Wu,Xinglin Xia, Yong-guo Zhang, Jun Sun. Consistent Activation of the beta-catenin pathway by the bacterial type III secretion effector protein AvrA in chronic infected mice. American Journal of Physiology-GI and LiverEpub ahead of print, September, 2012.PMID:22982337.
- Bonnie Choy, SanthoshiBandla, Yinglin Xia, Dongfeng Tan, ArjunPennathur, James D Luketich7, Tony E. Godfrey, Jeffrey H. Peters, Jun Sun, Zhongren Zhou. Clinicopathological characteristics of high expression of Bmi-1 in esophageal adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. BMC gastroenterology,2012 Oct 18;12(1):146.
- Yong-guo Zhang, Shaoping Wu, Yinglin Xia, Jun Sun. Salmonella infection upregulates the leaky protein claudin-2 in intestinal epithelial cells. PLoS One, 8(3): e58606. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0058606; 2013
- Kuancan Liu, Ming Jiang, Yun Lu, Hao Chen, Jun Sun,Shaoping Wu, Wei-Yao Ku, Hiroshi Nakagawa, Yoshiaki Kita, Shoji Natsugoe, Jeffrey H. Peters, Anil Rustgi, Mark W. Onaitis, Amy Kiernan, Xiaoxin Chen, Jianwen Que.Sox2 Cooperates with Inflammation-Mediated Stat3 Activation in the Malignant Transformation of Foregut Basal Progenitor Cells.Cell Stem Cells. 12(3): 304-315. 2013. (Featured publication)
- Sheng-RuShiou, Yueyue Yu, YueeGuo, Shu-Mei He, C. HaikaeliMziray-Andrew, Jeanette Hoenig, Jun Sun, Elaine O Petrof, and Erika C. Claud.Synergistic Protection of Combined Probiotic Conditioned Media against Neonatal Necrotizing Enterocolitis-like Intestinal Injury. PLoS One, 8(5): e65108. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0065108, 2013.
- Yueyue Yu, Sheng-RuShiou, YueeGuo, Lei Lu, Maria Westerhoff, Jun Sun, Elaine O. Petrof, Erika C. Claud. Erythropoietin Protects Epithelial Cells from Excessive Autophagy and Apoptosis in Experimental Neonatal Necrotizing Enterocolitis.PLoS One, 8(7): e69620, 2013 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0069620
- Shaoping Wu, Lijuan Yuan, Fangning Liu, Yongguo Zhang, Guohua Li, Ke Wen, Jun Sun. Probiotic LGG mono-association suppresses virus-induced autophagy in gnotobiotic pig intestine. Gut Pathogen, 2013 5:22.
- Fangning Liu, Guohua Li, Ke Wen, Shaoping Wu, Yongguo Zhang, Tammy Bui, Xingdong Yang, , Jacob Kocher, Jun Sun, Bernard Jortner, Lijuan Yuan. Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG on rotavirus induced injury of ileal epithelium in gnotobiotic pigs.Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 2013 Dec;57(6):750-8. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0b013e3182a356e1.
- Sheng-RuShiou, Yueyue Yu, YueeGuo, Shu-Mei He, C. HaikaeliMziray-Andrew, Jeanette Hoenig,Jun Sun, Elaine O Petrof, and Erika C. Claud. Oral administration of TGF-beta protects the immature gut from injury via Smad-dependent suppression of epithelial NF-kappaB signaling and pro-inflammatory cytokine production. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 10/2013; DOI:10.1074/jbc.M113.503946. 2013
- Erika C. Claud; Julie A. K. McDonald, Ph.D.; Shu-Mei He; Yueyue Yu; Lily Duong; Jun Sun; Elaine O Petrof. Differential Expression of Proteasome Subunits and Functional Activity during Neonatal Development. Biomolecules, 2014 Aug 29;4(3):812-26. doi: 10.3390/biom4030812.
- Zhongren Zhou, Yinglin Xia, SanthoshiBandla, VladislavZakharov, Shaoping Wu,Jeffery. Peters, Tony E Godfrey, Jun Sun. Significant difference of Vitamin D receptor expression in gender and between esophageal adenocarcinoma and precancerous lesions. Human Pathology. 45(8):1744-51. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2014.02.029. Epub 2014 May 15.
- Rong Lu, Shaoping Wu, Yongguo Zhang, Yinglin Xia, Erica J. Huelsmann, Andrew T. Lacek, ArmanNabatiyan, Maureen H. Richards, Srinivas D. Narasipura, Victoria Lutgen, Honglei Chen, Howard L. Kaufman, Di Chen, Lena Al-Harthi, Andrew Zloza, Jun Sun. HIV infection accelerates gastrointestinal tumor outgrowth in NSG-HuPBL mice.AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. 2014 Jul;30(7):677-84. doi: 10.1089/AID.2013.0289. Epub 2014 Apr 3. (Featured publication)
- Honglei Chen, Shaoping Wu, Rong Lu, Yong-guo Zhang, Yuanyuan Zheng, Jun Sun.Pulmonary Permeability Assessed by Fluorescent-Labeled Dextran Instilled Intranasally into Mice with LPS-Induced Acute Lung Injury. PLoS One 9(7): e101925. 2014.
- Rong Lu, Shaoping Wu, Yong-guo Zhang, Yinglin Xia, Xingyin Liu, Honglei Chen, Katherine Shaefer, Zhongren Zhou, Bruce Marc Bissonnette, Linheng Li, Jun Sun. Enteric bacterial protein AvrA promotes colonic tumorigenesis and activates intestinal beta-catenin signaling pathway. Oncogenesis, 2014 Jun 9;3:e105. doi: 10.1038/oncsis.2014.20.2014
- Shaoping Wu, Rong Lu, Yongguo Zhang, Yinglin Xia, Elaine O Petrof, Erika C Claud, Di Chen, Eugene Chang, Geert Carmeliet, Jun Sun. Intestinal vitamin D receptor deletion leads to defective autophagy. Gut, 2015 Jul;64(7):1082-94. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2014-307436.
- Yongguo Zhang, Shaoping Wu, Yinglin Xia, Jun Sun. Salmonella-infected crypt-derived intestinal organoid culture system for host-bacterial interactions.Physiological Reports, 2 (9), 2014, e12147.
- RuiXie, Xiao Dong, Chase Wong, Volker Vallon, Bo Tang, Jun Sun, Shiming Yang, and Hui Dong. Molecular mechanisms of calcium-sensing receptor-mediated calcium signaling in the modulation of epithelial ion transport and bicarbonate secretion. JBC. 2014 Dec 12;289(50):34642-53. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M114.592774. Epub 2014 Oct 20.
- Yong-guo Zhang, Shaoping Wu, Jun Ma, Yinglin Xia, Xun Ai, Jun Sun. Bacterial proteinAvrA stabilizes intestinal epithelial tight junctions via blockade of the C-Jun N-terminal kinase pathway.Tissue Barriers.2015 3;3(1-2):e972849. Epub 2015 Apr 3. DOI: 10.4161/21688362.2014.972849.
- Yajuan Xiao, Changling Ma, Shaoping Wu, Jianxun Yi,XiulongXiu, Pei-Hui Lin, Jun Sun and Jingsong Zhou.Suppressed autophagy flux in skeletal muscle of an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis mouse model upon disease progression. Physiological Reports. 2015 Jan 19;3(1). pii: e12271. DOI: 10.14814/phy2.12271. Print 2015 Jan 1.
- Shaoping Wu, Jianxun Yi, Yong-guo Zhang, Jingsong Zhouand Jun Sun.Leaky intestine and impaired microbiome in an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis mouse model. Physiological Reports.2015 Apr;3(4). pii: e12356. doi: 10.14814/phy2.12356.(Most read paper)
- Rong Fan, Kubra Naqvi, Krishna Patel, Jun Sun, Jiandi Wan. Evaporation-based Microfluidic Production of Oil-free Cell-Containing Hydrogel Particles.Biomicrofluidics. DOI: 10.1063/1.4916508. In press. March 2015.
- Yongguo Zhang, Shaoping Wu, Rong Lu, Maureen H. Richards, Erica J. Huelsmann, Andrew T. Lacek, ArmanNabatiyan, Srinivas D. Narasipura, Victoria Lutgen, Di Chen, Lena Al-Harthi, Andrew Zloza, Jun Sun. HIV infection leads to redistribution of leaky Claudin-2 in intestine of humanized SCID IL-2R-/- Hu-PBMC mice. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. 2015 Aug;31(8):774-5. doi: 10.1089/aid.2014.0341.
- Dapeng Jin, Shaoping Wu, Yong-guo Zhang, Rong Lu, Yinglin Xia, Hui Dong, Jun Sun.Lack of Vitamin D Receptor Causes Dysbiosis and Changes the Functions of the Murine Intestinal Microbiome. Clinical Therapeutics.2015, pp. 996-1009 DOI information: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2015.04.004
- Yong-guo Zhang, Shaoping Wu, Rong Lu, David Zhou, Jiandi Wan, Jingsong Zhou, Geert Carmeliet, Elaine Petrof, Erika C. Claud, Jun Sun.Tight junction CLDN2 gene is a direct target of the vitamin D receptor. Scientific Reports,Jul 27;5:10642. DOI: 10.1038/srep10642.
- Shaoping Wu, Sonia S. Yoon, Yong-Guo Zhang, Rong Lu, Yinglin Xia,Jiandi Wan,Elaine Petrof, Erika C. Claud, Jun Sun. Vitamin D receptor pathway is required for probiotic protection in colitis. AJP-GI.Published 9 July 2015 DOI:10.1152/ajpgi.00105.2015
- Aaron R Huber, Dongfeng Tan, Jun Sun, David Dean, Tongtong Wu and Zhongren Zhou. High expression of carbonic anhydrase IX is significantly associated with glandular lesions in gastroesophageal junction and with tumorigenesis markers BMI1, MCM4 and MCM7. BMC Gastroenterology. 2015, 15:80 DOI: 10.1186/s12876-015-0310-6
- Sarah-Lynn Martz, Julie McDonald, Jun Sun, Yong-guo Zhang, Gregory Gloor, Curtis Noordhof, Shu-Mei He, TekluGerbaba, Michael Blennerhassett, David Hurlbut, Emma Allen-Vercoe, Erika C. Claud, and Elaine Petrof. Administration of defined microbiota is protective in a murine Salmonella infection model. Scientific Reports. Sept. 28, 2015. Article number: 16094. DOI:10.1038/srep16094
Manuscripts under revision and in preparation
- Rong Lu, Shaoping Wu, Yong-guo Zhang, Yinglin Xia, Zhongren Zhou, Ikuko Kato, Hui Dong, Bruce Marc Bissonnette, Jun Sun. SalmonellaAvrA promotes colonic tumorigenesis by activating intestinal STAT3 signaling pathway. Neoplasia, Under review. 2016.
- Dapeng Jin, Shaoping Wu, Yongguo Zhang, Zhijie Lin, Rong Lu, YuanyuanZheng, Honglei Chen, Xinan Jiao, XiulongXu. Jun Sun. Vitamin D receptor is a novel transcriptional regulator for Axin1 in vitro and in vivo. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. In preparation. 2016. (Awarded Distinguish Abstract at DDW 2014)
- Zhijie Lin, Yong-Guo Zhang, XiulongXu, Xinan Jiao, Jun Sun.SalmonellaEnteritidis effector AvrA stabilizes tight junctions via the JNK pathway in intestinal epithelial cells.JBC. In preparation. 2016.
- Sarah-Lynn Martz, Shu-Mei He, Curtis Noordhof; David J Hurlbut, Gregory B Gloor, Christian Carlucci; Scott J Weese, Emma Allen-Vercoe, Jun Sun, Erika C Claud, Elaine Petrof. A human gut ecosystem protects against C. difficile disease by targeting TcdA.Journal of Gastroenterology. Submitted on Dec 22, 2015.
- Yong-Guo Zhang, MeghaSinghal, Zhijie Lin, Christopher Manzella,Waddah A Alrefai, SeemaSaksena, Pradeep K Dudeja, Jun Sun and Ravinder K Gill. Salmonella Infection Modulates TGF-beta1 Related Cellular Pathways in Intestine. AJP-GI. Submitted. 2016 (co senior-authored)
- Ikuko Kato, Adrian Vasquez, Gregory Moyerbrailean, Susan Land, Jun Sun, Ho-Sheng Lin and Jeffrey L. Ram. Oral microbiome and history of smoking and colorectal cancer. Biomarkers and Genomic Medicine. Submitted 2016
- Ikuko Kato, Adrian Vasquez, Gregory Moyerbrailean, Susan Land, ZoraDjuric, Jun Sun, Ho-Sheng Lin and Jeffrey L. Ram. Nutritional correlates of human oral microbiome. European Journal of Oral Sciences. Submitted 2016
- Chunhong Pang, Amy Lalonde, Tony E Godfrey, SayakGhatak, JianwenQue, Jiping Da, Jun Sun, Tongtong Wu and Zhognren Zhou. Bile acid receptor TGR5 highly expressed in esophageal adenocarcinoma and precancerous lesions significantly associated with worse overall survival and gender difference. World Journal of Gastroenterology. Under review. 2015
- XiulongXu, Jing Sun, Michelle E. Doscas, Ashley J. Williamson, Jingsong Zhou, Jun Sun, Xinan Jiao, Xiufan Liu, Yi Li. A77 1726, metabolite of the immunosuppressive drug leflunomide, induces autophagy by inhibiting p70 S6 kinase, leading to activation of AMPK and JNK. Autophagy, under revision. 2016
- Yong-guo Zhang, Xiaorong Zhu, Shaoping Wu, Rong Lu, Jeannette Messer, Eugene Chang, Jun Sun.Intestinal HMGB1 protects mice from bacterial-colitis through the STAT3 signaling pathway.Gut. In preparation. 2016 (Oral presentation at DDW 2015)
- Rong Lu, Yongguo Zhang, Christopher Forsyth, Ali Keshavarzian, Robin M. Voigt, Jun Sun. Alcohol injury reduces intestinal stem cells in small intestine through dysregulating the Wnt/β-catenin signaling pathway. Alcohol ClinExp Res.In preparation.
- Shaoping Wu, Yong-Guo Zhang, Rong Lu, Yinglin Xia, ZhongrenZhong, Jun Sun. Intestinal vitamin D receptor pathway is required for protection from dysbiosis and colon cancer. Cancer Research. In preparation. 2016. (Abstract orally presented at EB 2015).
- Kendy Li, Shaoping Wu, Martin Playford, Jun Sun. Deletion of Sorting Nexin 27 Inhibits Epithelial-Mesenchymal-Transition in Highly Aggressive Breast Cancer Cells. In preparation. 2016(Abstract presented at EB 2015)
- Kendy Li, Shaoping Wu, Yongguo Zhang, Martin Playford, Jun Sun. Depletion of endosome-associated protein SNX27 inhibits autophagy in human colonic cancer cells. In preparation. 2016(Abstract presented at DDW 2015)
- Marine Piou, Rong Fan, Evan Darling, Denis Cormier, Jun Sun, Jiandi Wan. Bioprinting Cell-laden Matrigel/Agarose Constructs. Biomaterial Research Journal. In preparation. 2016.
- Yueyue Yu, Lei Lu, Elaine Pertrof, Jun Sun, and Erika C. Claud. Preterm infant gut microbiota affects intestinal epithelial development in a humanized gnotobiotic mouse model. Nature Communications. In preparation. 2016.
- Shaoping Wu, Yongguo Zhang, Jianxun Yi, Yinglin Xia, Dapeng Jin, Jingsong Zhou2, Jun Sun. Target intestinal microbiota to alleviate disease progression in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Nature Communications. In preparation. 2016.
Books and invited book chapters
- Jun Sun, Wang Yuxia, Sun Manji. Molecular mechanism of apoptosis induced by sulfur mustard. Development of the Chinese Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Academy of Military Medical SciencesPress, Beijing. 1998, p13 (book chapter).
- Jun Sun. The anti-apoptosis drugs. ‘Essence of Modern Medicine’, Ningbo University, Medical School, China, October 1999, p145-148 (book chapter).
- Jun Sun, Min Li, Wenyan Wu, ZhiminJa and Chen Baoluan. Techniques for Animal Cell Culture. Huanan Science & Technology University Press, edited by Jun Sun. Guangzhou, China. March 2000. 248 pages (Book)
- Jun Sun. Biochemical Characterization of Salmonella Effector AvrA as a protease in Infection. In: Salmonella Infections: New Research ISBN 978-1-60456-735-9 Editors: Lorenzo S. Giordano and Marco A. Moretti © 2008 Nova Science Publishers, Inc.) (book chapter 4), page 71-91, 2008.
- Jun Sun. Vitamin D: Anti-inflammatory actions to prevent and treat disease. In: Vitamin D: Oxidation, Immunity & Aging. Oxidative Stress and Disease series, edited by Lester Packer and Enrique Cadenas. Taylor & Francis Group, CRC Press. (Book chapter 14), 2012.
- Jun Sun, Yong-guo Zhang, Rong Lu, YuanyuanZheng, and Shaoping Wu. The novel roles of beta-catenin in intestinal inflammation and infection.Beta-catenin: Structure, function, and clinical significance. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. (Book chapter 6), page 136-160, August, 2013.
- Jun Sun. The effects of bacteria in inflammatory bowel diseases. Book chapter:Inflammatory bowel diseases (text book for Chinese medical schools), 2014.
- Jun Sun Barbara Jung. Merging roles of gut microbiome in gastrointestinal cancer. Book “Gastrointestinal Cancers: Prevention, Detection and Treatment”. Editors: Drs. Sahdeo Prasad and Amit Kumar Tyagi. Nova Publishers. 2016 in press.
- Yongguo Zhang Jun Sun. Study host-bacterial interactions using organoids. Organoids: STEM CELLS, STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION. Methods in Molecular Biology series, Dr. John Walker. Springer.Fall 2016in press.
- Jun Sun. Microbiota, Innate immune, and Anti-inflammation.Anti-Inflammatory & Anti-Allergy Agents in Medicinal Chemistry (HOT TOPIC). Vol.8 No.3, September, 1-2, 2009 (Editorial)
- Jun Sun. Artificial sweeteners are not sweet to the gut microbome. Genes and Diseases, Available online 18 October 2014DOI: 10.1016/j.gendis.2014.09.008(Commentary)
- Jun Sun, Jingsong Zhou. Does the gut drive ALS progression?Future Medicine. 5(5), 375–378 2015(Editorial)
- Jun Sun. Vitamin D receptor regulates autophagic activity through ATG16L1. Autophagy. 2015 Jul 28:0. [Epub ahead of print](Commentary)PMID: 26218741
- Jun Sun. Developing biological methods to deal with urban water pollution. Urban Environment. 4, 27-29, 1991.
- Jun Sun, Yingguo Zhu. Molecular base of male sterility in plants. Hereditas. 15(2), 38-41,1993 (Collected in Russia Chemistry Abstract, 11-12, 353, 1993, Chemical Abstract, 120, 518, 1994.
- Jun Sun, Yingguo Zhu. The ultrastructure of chloroplast in the development of Hubei photoperiod-sensitive genetic male-sterile rice. Journal of Wuhan University (Natural Science Edition). 3, 117-123, 1994.
- Jun Sun, Yingguo Zhu. The ultrastructure of pollen and anther wall in the development of Hubei photoperiod-sensitive genetic male-sterile rice. ActaAgronomicaSinica. 21(3), 364-367, 1995.
- Jun Sun. Cellular toxicological mechanism of sulfur mustard. Communication of Military Toxicology. 2, 1, 22-24, 1996.
- Jun Sun. The anti-apoptosis drugs. Foreign Medical Sciences Section on Pharmacy, 2, 91-94, 1999.
- Jun Sun. New method of novel gene clone-mRNA differential display PCR. Bulletin of Biology. 7, 36-37, 1999.
- Jun Sun. Biochemical and physiological characters of receptors. Foreign Medical Sciences section onPharmacy, 6, 345-349, 1998.
- Jun Sun. DNA damage induced by alkylating agents and its relationship with cell cycle and apoptosis. Chin. Pharm. J. 32 (7), 393-397, 1997.
- Jun Sun. Cellular and molecular mechanism of sulfur mustard-induced lesions. Bull. Acad. Mil. Med. Sci. 21 (1), 71-75, 1997.
- Jun Sun. Modulation of intestinal inflammation by AvrA of Salmonella. International Journal of Medical and Biological Frontiers. Vol. 15, March 2009. (Invited review).
- Jun Sun. “Pathogenic bacterial proteins and their anti-inflammatory effects in the eukaryotic host”,AIAA-MC-Vol.8 No.2, September 214-227, 2009.
- Jun Sun. MMP and TIMP are essential for the inflammatory response in cancer cells, Journal of Signal Transduction. Volume 2010, Article ID 985132, doi:10.1155/2010/985132. 2010.
- Jun Sun. Vitamin D and Mucosal Immune Function. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology. 26 (6) 591–595, 2010 (Invited review).
- Jun Sun.Enteric bacteria and cancer stem cells. Cancers. 3(1)285-297, 2011. doi:10.3390/cancers3010285 (Invited review).
- Sonia Yoon, Jun Sun. Probiotics, nuclear receptor signaling, and anti-inflammatory pathways. Gastroenterology Research and Practice. 2011:971938. Epub 2011 Jul 26. (Invited review).
- Shaoping Wu and Jun Sun. Vitamin D, vitamin D receptor, and autophagy in inflammation and infection. Discovery Medicine. 11(59) 325-35, 2011 (Invited review).
- Rong Lu, Shaoping Wu, Yinglin Xia, Jun Sun. The Vitamin D Receptor, Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, and Colon Cancer. Current Colorectal Cancer Reports. 8(1), 2011 (Invited review).
- Jun Sun. Vitamin D and inflammation. Functional Food Reviews. 4 (1), 34-43, 2012 (Invited review).
- Yong-guo Zhang, Shaoping Wu and Jun Sun. Vitamin D, vitamin D receptor, and Tissue Barriers. Tissue Barriers,1:1 1-6,2013 (Invited review).
- ShirinMoossavi, Hongyu Zhang, Jun Sun, NimaRezaei. Host–microbiota interaction and intestinal stem cells in chronic inflammation and colorectal cancer. Exp Rev ClinImmunol, 2013 May;9(5):409-22. doi: 10.1586/eci.13.27.
- Dapeng Jin, Hongyu Zhang, Jun Sun. Manipulation of Microbiome, a Promising Therapy for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases.Journal of Clinical & Cellular Immunology. Special Issue on "Inflammatory Bowel Disease", 5:4. 2014 DOI: 10.4172/2155-9899.1000234(Invited review).
- Jun Sun, Eugene B. Chang. Exploring gut microbes in Human health and disease: pushing the envelope. Genes and Diseases. DOI: 10.1016/j.gendis.2014.08.001 2014 (Invited review).
- Jun Sun. Microbiome and Intestinal Inflammation. Journal of Zunyi Medical University. 2014, 37(5): 1- 7. (Invited review)
- William H. Goodson III, Leroy Lowe, et al.,Jun Sun (The 69th author out of 174 authors) et al. Assessing the carcinogenic potential of low-dose exposures to chemical mixtures in the environment: the challenge ahead. Getting to know cancer. Halifax Project,Carcinogenesis, 2015: Vol. 36, Supplement 1, S254–S296 doi:10.1093/carcin/bgv039
- Patricia A. Thompson, Mahin Khatami, Carole Baglole, Jun Sun, et al. (total 18 authors). Environmental Immune Disruptors, Inflammation, and Cancer Risk. Halifax Project,Carcinogenesis, 2015, Vol. 36, Supplement 1, S232–S253. doi:10.1093/carcin/bgv038.
- Co-authorsbased on the alphabetical listing,Jun Sun,et al. Guidelines for the Use and Interpretation of Assays for Monitoring Autophagy (Revision of Autophagy 2012; 8:445-544). New Version.Autophagy. In press. Feb.2016
- Ikuko Kato and Jun Sun. Gut microbiome and colon cancer. Genes and Diseases. June 2016.(Invited review)