Post Doctorate Research Fellow of Critical Care Medicine
- : +1-4124171591
National Institutes of Health
Doctor of Philosophy in Infectious Diseases and Microbiology (PhD)
Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Master of Animal Biotechnology (MVSc)/(MS)
National Biotechnology Centre, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, UP, India
Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (BVSc & AH)/ Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
Nagpur Veterinary College, Nagpur, MS, India
Purushottam Narute is postdoctoral research fellow at Critical Care Medicine Department, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, Bethesda, MD, USA. Purushottam Narute received his BVSc & AH (equivalent of DVM) in 2003 from MAFSU, India. He then completed MVSc in Veterinary Biotechnology at Indian Veterinary Research Institute and worked on antivirals for BoHV-1 as well as vaccine development for Rabies. He then received PhD in 2012 from University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, PA, USA and worked on HIV-1Nef and its interaction with Src family of kinases and discovered compounds that specifically inhibits HIV-1 replication in cell culture.
- Molecular Biology
- HIV-1 Nef
- Src kinases
- Cell signaling
- Chimeric HIV-1
- Antiviral drug discovery and development
- Acute lung injury
- Pulmonary inflammation
- Biomarker discovery
- Developed circulatory miRNA profiling of human biofluids
- Biomarker development for ALI by infectious and non-infectious etiology
- Developed miRNA profile for immune cells
- Standardized protocols for an air-liquid culture system for bronchial epithelial cells
- Demonstrated for first time that Src family kinase activation is a highly conserved property of HIV-1 Nef isolates
- Successfully completed more than 200 gene cloning
- Purified more than 30 recombinant proteins using affinity, ion-exchange and size exclusion chromatography on ÄKTAexplorer and BioLogic DuoFlow
- Assisted in development of X-ray crystallographic structure of Nef-SFK interactions
- Developed Lentivirus expression system for efficient transduction of suspension and embryonic stem cells
- Successfully generated Tet-On regulated cell lines
- Standardized protocols for gene-expression profiling using Real-time qPCR
- Adapted protocols for HIV-1 replication / inhibition assays
- Generated chimeric HIV-1 expressing primary Nef isolates for drug screening
- Experience in handling cell culture, bacteria, virus and yeast
- Adapted protocols for in vitro FRET-based kinase screening assay for Nef-mediated Hck activation
- Standardized yeast-based kinase assay to evaluate the effect of HIV-1 Nef and HIV-1 Vif on Src family kinases
- Awarded Prestigious NIH's Fogarty Fellowship 2012- present
- The Best Poster Presentation Award, University of Pittsburgh 2011
- The Best Poster Presentation Award, University of Pittsburgh 2010
- The Best Poster Presentation Award, University of Pittsburgh 2009
- The Best Poster Presentation Award, University of Pittsburgh 2008
- The Best Poster Presentation Award, University of Pittsburgh2007
- Graduate Research Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA, USA 2006-11
- Research Biologist, TCG Lifesciences, Chembiotek, Kolkata, India2005-06
- Awarded Prestigious Indian Council of Agricultural Research’s (ICAR) 2003-05
- Junior Research Fellowship
- Teaching assistant, National Biotechnology Center, IVRI, India 2004-05
- 1st position in Division of Veterinary Biotechnology, IVRI, India 2003-05
- All India 3rd rank in Entrance Examination for MVSc conducted by ICAR 2003
- Veterinary Medicine Intern at animal hospitals, farms, MS, India 2003
- Ronald P Trible, Purushottam S Narute, Lori A Emert-Sedlak, John Jeff Alvarado, Katelyn Atkins, Laurel Thomas, Toshiaki Kodama, Naveena Yanamala, Vasiliy Korotchenko, Billy W Day, Gary Thomas and Thomas E Smithgall. Discovery of a diaminoquinoxaline benzenesulfonamide antagonist of HIV-1 Nef function using a yeast-based phenotypic screen. Retrovirology 2013; 10(1): 135.
- Lori A Emert-Sedlak, Purushottam S Narute, Sherry T Shu, Haibin Shi, Jerrod A Poe, Haibin Shi, Naveena Yanamala, John Jeff Alvarado, John S Lazo, Joanne I Yeh, Paul A Johnston and Thomas E Smithgall. Effector kinase coupling enables High-Throughput Screens for direct HIV-1 nef antagonists with anti-retroviral activity. Chemistry & Biology 2013; 20 (1): 82-91.
- Purushottam S Narute and Thomas E Smithgall. Nef alleles from all major HIV-1 clades activate src-family kinases and enhance HIV-1 replication in an inhibitor-sensitive manner. PLoS ONE 2012; 7(2): e32561.
- Teodora Pene-Dumitrescu, Sherry T Shu, Thomas E Wales, John J Alvarado, Haibin Shi, Purushottam S Narute, Jamie A Moroco, Joanne I Yeh, John R Engen, and Thomas E Smithgall. HIV-1 Nef Interaction Influences the ATP-binding site of the Src-Family Kinase Hck. BMC Chemical Biology 2012; 12: 1.
- Sean R Marcsisin, Purushottam S Narute, Lori A Emert-Sedlak, Marek Kloczewiak, Thomas E Smithgall and John R Engen. On the solution conformation and dynamics of the HIV-1 Virion Infectivity Factor. J. Mol. Biol. 2011; 410: 1008–1022.
- Narute PS, Raut AA, Saini M, Rai A and Gupta PK. Inhibition of Bovine herpesvirus multiplication in MDBK cells by small interfering RNAs. Acta Virol. 2009; 53(3): 203-6.
- Raut AA, Narute PS and Gupta PK. Small interfering RNA (siRNA) as antiviral therapeutics.Indian Journal of Virol. 2006; 17 (1): 1-6.
- Thomas Wales, Purushottam S Narute, Thomas E Smithgall and John R. Engen. Dynamics of Nef conformation (In preparation). Purushottam S Narute and Thomas E Smithgall. Towards the molecular mechanism of actions of inhibitors of HIV-1 Nef (In preparation).
- Purushottam Narute, Nitin Seam, Margaret Tropea, Carolea Logun, Rongman Cai, Junfeng Sun, James H Shelhamer, G. Umberto Meduri and Anthony F. Suffredini (2014) “microRNA Expression in Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells from Patients with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Treated with Corticosteroids” Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2014; 189: A5017.
- Purushottam Narute, Roberto F. Machado, Rongman Cai, Junfeng Sun, Carolea Logun, James H Shelhamer, Anthony F. Suffredini (2014) “Effects of Inhaled Nitric Oxide or Carbon Monoxide on MicroRNAs in Bronchoalveolar Lavage of Healthy Humans after Segmental Challenge With Saline or Endotoxin” Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2014; 189: A5768.
- Purushottam Narute, Carolea Logun, Rongman Cai, Junfeng Sun, James H Shelhamer, Anthony F. Suffredini (2014) “The Secretion of miRNA from Normal Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells: Effects of Endotoxin, Nitric Oxide or Carbon Monoxide” Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2014; 189: A4220.
- Lori A. Emert-Sedlak, Purushottam Narute, Sherry Shu, Haibin Shi, Naveena Yanamala, John J. Alvarado, John S. Lazo, Joanne I. Yeh, Paul Johnston and Thomas E. Smithgall (2013) “Coupling HIV-1 Nef to a Host Cell Kinase Enables High-throughput Screening for Direct Antagonists of Nef function” Paper ID: 545, 20th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. March 3-6, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Lori A. Emert-Sedlak, Sherry Shu, Purushottam Narute, Naveena Yanamala, John S. Lazo, Paul Johnston and Thomas E. Smithgall (2011) “Identification of Small Molecule Inhibitors of HIV-1 Nef Function via Src-Family Kinase Coupling in vitro Identifies a Novel Inhibitor of HIV-1 and SIV Replication” 12th Annual Symposium on Antiviral Drug Resistance. November 6-9, Hershey, PA, USA.
- Thomas E. Smithgall, Ronald P. Trible, Lori Emert-Sedlak, Purushottam Narute, Naveena Yanamala, Toshiaki Kodama, Caleb Foster, and John S. Lazo (2011) “Nef-dependent HIV-1 replication blockers identified by targeting Nef-induced Src-family kinase activation in yeast” Keystone Symposium on Protection from HIV: Targeted Intervention Strategies. March 20-25, Whistler, British Columbia, Canada.
- John J. Alvarado, Thomas E. Wales, Purushottam Narute, Lori Emert-Sedlak, Haibin Shi, John R. Engen, Thomas E. Smithgall, and Joanne I. Yeh (2011) “Structural and Dynamics Studies of HIV-1 Nef Interactions with Src-family Kinases” Poster ID: M3, 25th Annual Meeting of the Groups Studying the Structures of AIDS-Related Systems and Their Application to Targeted Drug Design. March 28-23, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- Purushottam Narute and Thomas Smithgall (2010) “Inhibitors of Nef-induced Src-family kinase activation, are active against HIV-1 replication supported by Nef alleles from all major HIV-1 clades” Poster ID: 22, 11th Annual Symposium on Antiviral Drug Resistance. November 7-10, Hershey, PA, USA.
- Purushottam Narute and Thomas Smithgall (2010) “Inhibitors of Nef-induced Src-family kinase activation are active against HIV-1 replication supported by Nef alleles from all major HIV-1 clades” IDM Annual Meeting. September 16-17, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Vasiliy N. Korotchenko, Weixiang Dai, Purushottam Narute, Lori Emert-Sedlak, Thomas E. Smithgall and Billy W. Day (2009) “2,3-Diaminoquinoxaline benzenesulfonamides as potential inhibitors of the HIV-1 Nef/Hck kinase interaction” Poster ID: MEDI 135, The 238th ACS National Meeting. August 16-20, Washington, DC, USA.
- Chris Morgan, Purushottam Narute, Brian V Miglionico, Thomas Smithgall and John Engen (2009) “Interaction of myristoylated HIV-1 Nef with N-myristoyltransferase-1 as determined by hydrogen exchange mass spectrometry” Poster ID: 438, The American Society For Mass Spectrometry, Annual Conference. May 31-June 4, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- Purushottam Narute and Thomas Smithgall (2009) “Generation of chimeric viruses expressing Nef alleles from all major HIV-1 subtypes to evaluate the efficacy of Nef-directed anti-retroviral compounds” IDM Annual Meeting. September 17-18, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Purushottam Narute and Thomas Smithgall (2008) “Selective activation of the Src-family kinases Hck and Lyn is a general property of Nef proteins from major HIV-1 subtypes” IDM Annual Meeting. September 17-18, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Purushottam Narute and Thomas Smithgall (2007) “Allelic variation in HIV-1 Nef influences activation of the Src family kinase Hck” IDM Annual Meeting. September 13-14, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.