Associate Professor of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences
- : (612) 626-6304
University of Minnesota
|BS in Microbiology||University of Wisconsin-La Crosse||1989-1993|
|Ph.D. in Microbiology||1993-1998 The University of Iowa||1993-1998|
- Virus infection
- Theiler’s murine encephalomyelitis virus
- Autoimmune disease
- Immune response
|1998-2002||Postdoctoral Fellow /Research Associate||The Feinberg School of Medicine||Northwestern University|
|2003-2005||Assistant Professor||The Feinberg School of Medicine||Northwestern University|
|2005-2013||Assistant Professor||Department of Neurological Surgery||University of Wisconsin|
|2013-Present||Associate Professor||College of Veterinary Medicine||University of Minnesota|
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) for Postdoctoral Fellowship in Neurological Diseases NS10893, 1999-2002
- Paralyzed Veterans of America Spinal Cord Research Foundation
- Grant SCRF 2046, 1999-2001
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Grant, 1998-1999
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society RG3629, 2002- 2007
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society RG3625, 2005- 2010
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society PP1673, 2009- 2013
- Center for AIDS Research, 2014-2016
- Outstanding Neuroscience Research Fellow, Northwestern University 2002
- American Association of Immunologists Junior Scientist Award at the
- International Congress on Immunology, Stockholm, Sweden 2002
- Junior Faculty Award for Research Excellence, Northwestern University 2004
- American Association of Immunologists Junior Faculty Award 2006
- American Association of Immunologists Junior Faculty Award 2009
- American Association of Immunologists Junior Faculty Award 2010
- American Association of Immunologists Junior Faculty Award 2011
- American Association of Immunologists Early Career Faculty Award 2013
- University of Wisconsin Faculty Senator (District 101), 2006-2013
- Admission committee for the Cell and Molecular Biology Graduate Program at University of Wisconsin- Madison, 2009-2013
- Research Committee for Comparative Medicine, University of Minnesota, 2014-
- Strategic Planning Committee College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, 2015-
- Penm, S., Young, T., and J.K. Olson. 2016. Exosomes secreted during virus infection activate bystander cells via the innate immune response. J. Immunol. Submitted.
- Hall, S.D., E.A. Thompson, and J.K. Olson. 2016. CD11b+Ly6C+ cells expanded during Theiler’s virus infection of susceptible mice suppress T cell responses. J. Immunol. Submitted.
- Boontanrart, M., S.D. Hall, J.C. Spanier, C.E. Hayes, and J.K. Olson. 2016. Vitamin D3 alters microglia activation in an IL-10 dependent manner. J. Neuroimmunol. In Press.
- Fields, D.P., J.J.D. White, D.K. Resnick, and J.K. Olson. 2016. Ghrelin limits central nervous system immunopathology through an IL-10 dependent suppression of microglia activity. Glia. Submitted.
- J.K. Olson. 2014. Effect of the innate immune response on development of Theiler’s murine encephalomyelitis virus- induced demyelinating disease. J. Neurovirol. 20(5):427-36.
- Bowen, J.L. and J.K. Olson. 2013. IFN-gamma influences type I interferon response and susceptibility to Theiler’s virus-induced demyelinating disease. Virol Immunol. 26(4):223-38. PMID:23829778.
- Schomberg, D., M. Ahmed, G. Miranpuri, J.K. Olson, and D. Resnick. 2012. Neuropathic pain: role of inflammation, immune response, and ion channel activity in central injury mechanisms. Ann. Neurosci. 19(3):125-132.
- Y-P Liu, L. Zeng, A. Tian, A. Bomkamp, D. Rivera, D. Gutman, G.N. Barber, J.K. Olson, J. A. Smith. 2012. Endoplasmic reticulum stress regulates the innate immunity critical transcription factor interferon regulatory factor 3. J. Immunol.189:4630-4369. PMID:23028052.
- Spanier, J.A.,F.E. Nashold, J.K. Olson, and C.E. Hayes. 2012. IFN gene is essential for VDR gene expression and vitamin D3 mediated reduction of the pathogenic T cell burden in the central nervous system in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis, a multiple sclerosis model. J. Immunol. 189(6):3188-97.
- Schomberg. D. and J.K. Olson. 2011. Immune responses of microglia in the spinal cord: Contribution to pain states. Exp. Neurology.234:262-270.
- Liu, Y., D.B. Kintner, V. Chanana, X. Chen, J. Algharabli, P. Ferrazzano, J.K. Olson, D. Sun. 2010. Activation of microglia depends on Na+/H+ exchange-mediated H+ homeostasis. J. Neurosci. 30:15210-15220.
- Olson, J.K. 2010. Immune response by microglia in the spinal cord. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1198:271-278.
- Bowen, J.L. and J.K. Olson. 2009. Innate immune CD11b+Gr-1+ cells, suppressor cells, affect the immune response during Theiler’s virus- induced demyelinating disease. J. Immunol. 183:6971-6980.
- Olson, J.K. and S.D. Miller. 2009. The innate immune response affects the development of the autoimmune response in Theiler’s virus- induced demyelinating disease. J. Immunol.182:5712-5722.
- Olson, J.K. and S.D. Miller. 2006. The role of T cells and the innate immune system in Theiler’s virus model of MS. Experimental Models of Multiple Sclerosis. ed. E. Lavi and C.S. Constantinescu. Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York.
- Olson, J.K., J.L. Croxford, H.A. Anger, and S.D. Miller. 2005. Initiation and exacerbation of autoimmune demyelination of the central nervous system via virus-induced molecular mimicry: implications for the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis. J. Virol. 79: 8581-90.
- Olson, J.K., Ercolini A., and S.D. Miller. 2005. A virus-induced molecular mimicry model of multiple sclerosis. Curr Top Microbiol and Immunol. 296:39-53.
- Carpentier, P.A., J.K. Olson, A. Elhofy, W.J. Karpus, and S.D. Miller. 2005. Differential activation of astrocytes by innate and adaptive immune stimuli. Glia. 49: 360-74.
- Olson, J.K. and S.D. Miller. 2004. Activation through toll-like receptors leads to antigen presentation by microglia. J. Immunol. 15 :3916-24.
- Olson, J.K., J.L. Croxford, and S.D. Miller. 2004. Innate and adaptive immune requirements for induction of autoimmune demyelinating disease by molecular mimicry. Mol. Immunol. 40: 1103-1108.
- Fuller, K.G., J.K. Olson, L.M. Howard, J.L. Croxford, and S.D. Miller. 2004. Methods for induction and analysis of mouse models of multiple sclerosis: experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis and Theiler’s virus-induced demyelinating disease. Autoimmunity: Methods in Molecular Medicine. 102: 339-61.
- Olson, J.K., L.J. Croxford, and S.D. Miller. 2003. Virus induced molecular mimicry in multiple sclerosis model. ASM News. 69: 432-37.
- Olson, J.K., S.S. Zamvil, and S.D. Miller. 2003. Efficient technique for immortalization of murine microglial cells relevant for studies in murine models of multiple sclerosis. J. Neurosci. Meth. 128: 33-43.
- Olson, J.K., T.N. Eagar, and S.D. Miller. 2002. Functional activation of myelin-specific T cells by virus-induced molecular mimicry. J. Immunol. 169:2719-2726.
- Olson, J.K., L.J. Croxford, and S.D. Miller. 2002. Epitope spreading and molecular mimicry as triggers of autoimmunity in the Theiler's virus-induced demyelinating disease model of multiple sclerosis. Autoimmun Rev. 1(5):251-60.
- Olson, J. K., L. J. Croxford, and S. D. Miller. 2001. Virus-induced autoimmunity: Potential role of viruses in initiation, perpetuation and progression of T cell-mediated autoimmune disease. Viral Immunol.14(3)227-250.
- Olson, J. K., M. A. Calenoff, M. C. Dal Canto, and S. D. Miller. 2001. A virus-induced molecular mimicry model of multiple sclerosis. J. Clin. Invest. 108(2):311-318.
- Rasley, A., J.K. Olson, K.L. Bost, S.D. Miller, and I. Marriott. 2001. Expression of functional NK-1 receptor in murine microglia. Glia 37(3):258-267
- Olson, J. K., A. M. Girvin, and S. D. Miller. 2001. Direct activation of innate and antigen presenting functions of microglia following infection with Theiler’s virus. J. Virol. 75(20):9780-978
- Begolka, W. S., L. M. Haynes, J. K. Olson, J. Padilla, K. L. Neville, M. C. Dal Canto, J. P. Palma, B. S. Kim, and S. D. Miller. 2001. CD8-deficient SJL mice display enhanced susceptibility to Theiler’s virus infection and increased demyelinating pathology. J. Neurovirol. 7(5):409-420.
- Olson, J.K. and S.D. Miller. 2001. Myelin protein-specific CD4+ T cell response in virus-induced molecular mimicry model for multiple sclerosis. Scand. J. Immunol. 54 (Sup1): 63.
- Miller, S. D., J. K. Olson, and L. J. Croxford. 2001. Multiple pathways to induction of virus-induced autoimmune demyelination: Lessons from Theiler’s virus infection. J. Autoimmunity. 16:219-227.
- Katz-Levy, Y., K. L. Neville, J. Padilla, S. M. Rahbe, W. S. Begolka, A. M. Girvin, J.K. Olson, C. L. Vanderlugt, and S. D. Miller. 2000. Temporal development of autoreactive Th1 responses and endogenous presentation of self myelin epitopes by CNS-resident APCs in Theiler’s virus-infected mice. J. Immunol. 165:5304-5314.
- Olson, J.K. and C. Grose. 1998. Varicella-zoster virus glycoprotein gE: endocytosis and trafficking of the Fc receptor. J. Infect. Dis. 178(Suppl 1):S2-6
- Olson, J.K. and C. Grose. 1998. Complex formation facilitates endocytosis of the varicella-zoster virus gE:gI Fc receptor. J. Virol. 72:1542-1551.
- Olson, J.K. and C. Grose. 1997. Endocytosis and recycling of varicella-zoster virus Fc receptor glycoprotein gE: internalization mediated by a YXXL motif in the cytoplasmic tail. J.Virol. 71: 4042-4054.
- Olson, J.K., G.A. Bishop, and C. Grose. 1997. Varicella-zoster virus Fc receptor gE glycoprotein: serine/threonine and tyrosine phosphorylation of monomeric and dimeric forms. J. Virol. 71: 110-119.