Professor of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery
Medical University of South Carolina
|1979||University of Illinois||B.S.||Biology|
|1982||Southern Illinois University School of Medicine||M.D.||Medicine|
|1990 - 1991||St Luke's Episcopal Hospital/ Children's Hosp - Baylor COM, Texas||Fellow, Hand Surgery|
|1988 - 1990||Tulane University SOM||Resident, Plastic Surgery|
|1982 - 1988||Allgeheny General Hospital||Resident, General Surgery|
Dr. Armstrong graduated from Southern Illinois University School of Medicine in Springfield, Illinois. He completed his General Surgery training at Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA. Residency in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery followed at Tulane University in New Orleans. He subsequently completed a Fellowship in Hand Surgery at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital/Baylor College of Medicine program in Houston, Texas. Dr. Armstrong’s first academic position was at The Ohio State University College of Medicine, where he established a curriculum for educating Plastic Surgery residents in hand surgery and developed a very busy practice in Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery. While at Ohio State, he served in the Dean’s office for four years as Dean of Student Affairs and subsequently Dean of Minority Student Affairs. He was then recruited to the faculty at the University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine in 1999. He was Chief of Plastic Surgery at the Miami Veteran’s Affairs Hospital. During his tenure in Miami, a Section of Hand and Microsurgery was developed. Dr. Armstrong is the editor of the textbook “Lower Extremity Trauma”. He has written numerous book chapters and has over 25 peer-reviewed articles. He has served as an examiner for the Oral Examination for the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and the editorial board for Annals of Plastic Surgery. He is board certified in Plastic Surgery and earned a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Hand Surgery.
“My personal future goals as the new Chief are to provide strong leadership, guidance and innovative vision to the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Medical University of South Carolina. I will work to improve basic and clinical science research, enhance our clinical workload and academic productivity. Finally, a strong Hand Surgery rotation will be developed, in a collaborative manner, to benefit our resident trainees.”
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Reconstructive Surgery
- Microscopic Hand Surgery
|2009 - Present||Medical University of South Carolina, Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery||Professor|
|2001 - 2009||University of Miami SOM, Orthopedics||Associate Professor|
|1999 - 2009||University of Miami SOM, Surgery, Division of Plastic||Associate Professor|
|1998 - 1999||The Ohio State University Medical Center||Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery|
|1998 - 1999||Ohio State University Medical Center, Surgery||Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery|
|1997 - 1999||Ohio State University College of Medicine, Administration, Division of Minority Affairs||Associate Dean for Minority Affairs|
|1996 - 1999||Ohio State University College of Medicine, Administration, Division of Student Affairs||Associate Dean for Student Affairs|
|1994 - 1998||Ohio State University College of Medicine, Surgery, Division of Plastic||Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery|
|1991 - 1994||Ohio State University Medical Center, Surgery, Division of Plastic||Assistant Professor|
Professional Societies/Associations - International
|1995 - Present||Society of Black Academic Surgeons||Member|
Professional Societies/Associations – National
|2014||American Board of Plastic Surgery||2014 Written Examination Item Writer|
|2013||American Board of Plastic Surgery||2013 Written Examination Item Writer|
|2012||American Board of Plastic Surgery||2012 Written Examination Item Writer|
|2001||Plastic Surgery Section of The National Medical Association||Vice-Chairman|
|1997 - Present||American Society for Surgery of the Hand||Member|
|1997 - Present||American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery||Member|
|1997||American Association for Hand Surgery Program Committee||Committee Member|
|1996 - 1997||National Medical Association Plastic Surg Section||Chairman|
|1995 - Present||American College of Surgeons||Fellow|
|1995 - Present||National Board of Medical Examiners Hand & Extremities Subcom, PSEF||Member|
|1995 - Present||American Association for Hand Surgery||Member|
|1993 - Present||American Society of Plastic Surgeons||Member|
|1993 - Present||American Board of Plastic Surgery||Member|
|1993 - 2007||National Medical Association||Member|
|1992 - 2001||American Medical Association||Member|
|1991 - Present||American Cleft Lip and Palate Association||Member|
|1976 - Present||Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc||Member|
- Zubin J. Panthaki, MDCM, FRCSC, W. Scott McDonald, MD, Milton Armstrong,MD, FACS, and Seth Thaller, MD, DMD, FACS. How We TrainResidents to Perform Abdominal Contouring Surgery: The University of Miami Experience.
- Surgical Technique of Pedicled Rotational Medial and Lateral Gastrocnemius FlapsZeke Walton, MD, Milton B. Armstrong, MD, FACS, Lee Leddy, MD Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, PMID: JAAOS-D-15-00722
- Ethnic and Gender Diversity in Hand Surgery TraineesGordon H. Bae, BA, Austin W. Lee, David J. Park, MS, Keiichiro Maniwa, MD, David Zurakowski, PhD, ASSH Diversity Committee, Charles S. Day, MD, MBA
- John R. Barbour, Milton B. Armstrong, "Lower Extremity Reconstruction" in Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery: The Essentials. Edited by Deniz Dayicioglu, John C. Oeltjen, Kenneth L. Fann & Seth Thaller. Chapter 22, pgs. 527-548
- Hutson, James J. Jr MD, Dayicioglu, Deniz MD, Oeltjen, John C. MD, PhD, FACS, Panthaki, Zubin J. MD, FACS; Armstrong, Milton B. MD, FACS, "The Treatment of Gustilo IIB Tibial Fractures with Application of Antibiotic Spacer, Flap and Sequential Distraction Osteogenesis Annals of Plastic Surgery. 64 (5):541-552, May 2010
- Rueda S, Mohan R, Miller S, Iyer R, Armstrong M, Spector S. "Abdominal Wall Reconstruction with Alloderm in a Patient with a Massive Endometrioma," University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida. Am Surgery, November 2010; 76(11): 206-7
- Erick Martell, MD, B. Yosuf Kakar, MD, David M. Muschett, MD, Milton Armstrong, MD, FACS, "Reconstruction using (Alloderm) Acellular Dermal Matrix Graft," Wounds, Vol. 21(5): 124-126, May 2009
- Nirmal Nathan, BS, Sean simon, MD, Jeff Hammoudeh, MD, Christopher Low, MD, FACS, "Replantation in the Pediatric Hand," Journal of the Craniofacial Surgery, Vol. 20, No. 4, July 2009, pp 996-998
- Zubin J. Panthaki, MD, CM, FRCSC, FACS, Milton Byron Armstrong, MD,FACS, Kwazneski, Rajiv Iyer, M.D. Douglas R. (Medical Student),“Controversies in Pediatric Branchial Plexus Injuries and Reconstruction”, Journal of the Craniofacial Surgery, Vol 20, No. 4, July 2009, pp 1033-1035
- Zubin J. Panthaki, MD., CM, FRCSC, FACS, Milton Byron Armstrong, MD, FACS, Raja Mohan (Medical Student), “Replantation in the Pediatric Hand” Journal of the Craniofacial Surgery, Vol. 20, No. 4, July 2009, pp 996-998
- Dayicioglu, Deniz, Martel, Erick, Michael Olgivie, M.D.1, Aydin Gozu, M.D.2, Zubin J. Panthaki, M.D.1, FACS, Milton B. Armstrong, M.D., FACS,Vascular Anomalies of the Upper Extremity in Children”, Journal of Craniofacial Surgery Vol. 20, No. 4, July 2009, pp 1025-1029
- David J Pincus, Milton B. Armstrong, MD, Seth R. Thaller. "Osteomyelitis of the Craniofacial Skeleton." Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, Semin Plast Surg, 2009 May;23(2):73-9. doi: 10.1055/s-0029-1214159, Source: Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida.
- Sean Simon, MD, Jeff Hammoudeh, MD, Christopher Low, MD, Nirmal Nathan, MD, Milton Armstrong, MD, FACS, Seth Thaller, MD, DMD. "Complex Wound Managment with and Artificial Dermal Regeneration Template," Wounds Vol. 20, Number 11, November 2008
- Milton B. Armstrong, MD, FACS, Adeohun, Oyinkansola (Medical Student), “Tendon Injuries in the Pediatric Hand,” Journal of the Craniofacial Surgery, Vol. 20, No. 4, July 2009, pp 1005-1010.
- Zubin Jal Panthaki MD, CM, FRCSC, FACS, Milton Byron Armstrong, MD, FACS, and Michael Bentz, MD,FAAP,FACS. “Hand Anomalies Associated with Craniofacial Syndromes”, for the Plastic Surgery Hyperguide. Accepted, 2008.
- Choi, Mark W. (Medical Student), Zubin J. Panthaki, MD. CM, FRCSC, FACS, Ramiro Perez , MD, Milton R. Armstrong, MD, FACS, “Burns of the Pediatric Hand: Electrical, Thermal, Chemical”, Journal of the Craniofacial Surgery, Vol. 20, No. 4, July 2009, pp 1045-1048
- Kerry Latham, MD, Sarah Fernandez, MD, Larry Iteld, MD, Zubin Panthaki, MD, Milton Armstrong, MD, Seth Thaller, MD, “Pediatric Breast Deformity” The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, May 2006, Volume 17, Number 3.
- Santibanez-Gallerani, Alberto MD, Armstrong, Milton B. MD, Thaller, Seth R. MD, DMD, “Improved Esthetic Results With Fine-Tip Dermabond Application Technique”, Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, September 2004,15(5):890-892.
- Granzow, Joachim, M.D., Armstrong, Milton, M.D., Panthaki, Zubin, M.D., “A Simple Method for the Control of Medicinal Leeches”, Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, August, 2004, Volume 20, Number 6.
- Zubin J. Panthaki, MD, CM, FRCSC, Milton Armstrong, MD, FACS. Hand Abnormalities Associated with Craniofacial Syndromes. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery - September 2003, Volume 14, Number 4.
- Diaz, Jose, McDonald W. Scott, Armstrong Milton, Eismont Frank, Hellinger Michael, Thaller Seth, Reconstruction After Extirpation of Sacral Malignancies, Annals of Plastic Surgery, August 2003 , 51(2): 126-129.
- Armstrong, Milton, M.D., The Unfavorable Result in Plastic Surgery: Avoidance and Treatment. Pending in Journal of Craniofacial Surgery.March/April, 2002. 13(2) 314.
- Operative Techniques in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2002 Vol 8, No 2: pp 101-105.
- Armstrong Milton, M.D., Masri N, Venugopal R. Reconstructive Microsurgery: Reviewing the Past, Anticipating the Future. Clinics in Plastic Surgery, October 2001, Volume 28, No.4.
- Bridge PM, Lerhaupt K, Armstrong Milton, M.D. Radial Artery Aneurysm in a 5 Month Old Patient. J Natl.Medical Association 2000; 92: 309-311.
- Armstrong Milton, M.D., Villalobos RE, Leppink DM. Free Tissue Transfer for Lower Extremity Reconstruction in the Immunosuppressed Diabetic Transplant Recipient. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, January 1997, Vol. 13, No. 1.
- Armstrong Milton, M.D., and Villalobos RE. Surgical Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America, August 1997, Volume 8, No. 3.
- Armstrong Milton, M.D., Surgery of the Hand and Upper Extremity. Book Review. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. June 1997. Vol. 99, No. 1, 2096- 2097.
- Armstrong Milton, M.D., Olsen PR, Townsend RN: Gallbladder Carcinoma and Retroperitoneal Fibrosis: A Rare Combination. Journal of National Medical Association, 1989 81 (9):1001- 1011.
- Milton B. Armstrong, MD, Holland G. Kawarizadeh N. Efficacy of Excision and Grafting in the Burn Intensive Care Unit. Submitted to American Burn Association, 1994
- Armstrong, Milton, MD, Curry J. Case No. 123 Susan Green, Problem-Based Learning Pathway, The Ohio State University, College of Medicine, February 1994.