Associate Professor of Surgery
Texas A&M University School of Medicine
- University of California, Los Angeles 6/1997
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, Bachelor of Arts in English
- Harvard Medical School, Medical Doctor 6/2002
- University of Washington, Resident in General Surgery 6/2002 - 6/2005
- University of Washington, Resident in Plastic Surgery 6/2005 - 6/2008
- M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Fellow in Microvascular Surgery 6/2008 - 6/2009
- University of Tennessee, Certificate in Clinical Research 6/2011 - 6/2012
- Wound Care
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Surgical Oncology
- Hand Surgery
- M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Clinical Specialist in Plastic Surgery 6/2008 - 6/2009
- Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee Department of Plastic Surgery 7/2009 – 7/2013
- Adjunct Clinical Faculty Member, St. Jude’s Children Research Hospital 7/2009 – 6/2015
- Research Faculty Member, Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center 7/2013 – 6/2015
- Chair, Department of Plastic Surgery, Baptist Memorial Hospital 2/2013 – 6/2015
- Program Director, Baptist Medical Group Plastic Surgery Fellowship 2/2013 – 6/2015
- Faculty, Department of Surgery, Baylor Scott and White Healthcare 6/2015 – present
- Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Texas A&M University School of Medicine 6/2015 – present
- Program Director, Microvascular Surgery Fellowship, Texas A&M SOM 6/2015 – present
- Associate Program Director, Plastic Surgery Residency, Texas A&M SOM 6/2015 – present
- Teaching Assistant, Chemistry 153A (Introductory Biochemistry), UCLA 9/1993 – 6/1995
- Teaching Assistant, English 234 (Herman Mellville), UCLA 9/1996 – 6/1997
- Teaching Assistant, Core Biochemistry, Harvard Medical School 9/2000 – 6/2001
- Teaching Assistant, Respiratory Pathophysiology, Harvard Medical School 9/2000 – 6/2001
- Instructor, Basic Suturing Skills, UW General Surgery Residency 9/2003 – 6/2005
- Instructor, Basic Flaps and Grafts, UW General Surgery Residency 9/2006 – 6/2007
- Course Director, Plastic Surgery Elective Rotation, UT School of Medicine 9/2009 – 6/2013
- Associate Program Director, UT Plastic Surgery Residency 9/2010 – 6/2013
- Program Director, UT Microvascular Surgery Fellowship 6/2011 – 6/2013
- Course Director, Basic Suturing Skills, Christian Brothers University Physician Asst 2/2013 – 6/2015
- Preceptor, Plastic Surgery Elective Rotation, CBU Physician Assistant Program 2/2013 – 6/2015
- Program Director, Baptist Cancer Center Plastic Surgery Fellowship 2/2013 – 6/2015
- Eid, Ver Halen JP. Comment on “Emerging Paradigms in Perioperative Management for Microsurgical Free Tissue Transfer: Review of the Literature and Evidence-Based Guidelines.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Apr 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jain U, Somerville J, Saha S, Hackett NJ, Ver Halen JP, Antony AK, Samant S. “Oropharyngeal Contamination Predisposes to Complications after Neck Dissection: An Analysis of 9462 Patients.” Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Apr 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wood J, Ver Halen J, Samant S, Florendo N. “Radiation-induced sarcoma masquerading as osteoradionecrosis: case report and literature review.” J Laryngol Otol. 2015 Mar;129(3):279-82.
- Ver Halen JP, Stoikes N, Webb D, Powell B, Voeller G. “Comprehensive analysis of donor-site morbidity in abdominally based free flap reconstruction.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Jan;135(1):226e-7e.
- Grant DW, Mlodinow A, Ver Halen JP, Kim JY. “Catastrophic outcomes in free tissue transfer: A six-year review of the NSQIP database.” Plast Surg Int. 2014;2014:704206.
- Mlodinow AS, Khavanin N, Ver Halen JP, Rambachan A, Gutowski KA, Kim JY. “Increased anaesthesia duration increases venous thromboembolism risk in plastic surgery: A 6-year analysis of over 19,000 cases using the NSQIP dataset.” J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2014 Nov 25:1-7.
- Smith A, Peterson D, Samant S, Ver Halen JP. “Pediatric mandibular reconstruction following resection of oral squamous cell carcinoma: A case report.” Am J Otolaryngol. 2014 Nov-Dec;35(6):826-8.
- Ver Halen JP, Chen A, Jeffers L, Basu CB, ASPS Young Plastic Surgeons’ Steering Committee. “Young Plastic Surgeons Forum member survey: Part II. Advocacy in plastic surgery: opinions toward the ASPS and PlastyPAC.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Aug;134(2):353-60.
- Chen A, Ver Halen JP, Basu CB, Khan S, Wang H, Jeffers L, Young Plastic Surgeons Steering Committee. “Young Plastic Surgeons Forum member Survey: Part I. Investing in the future: attitudes toward the Plastic Surgery Foundation.” Plast Recontr Surg. 2014 Aug;134(2):343-50.
- Kim BD, Lim S, Wood J, Samant S, Ver Halen JP, Kim JY. “Predictors of adverse events after parotidectomy: A review of 2919 cases.” Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2015 Jan;124(1):35-44.
- Qin C, Vaca E, Lovecchio F, Ver Halen JP, Hansen NM, Kim JY. “Differential impact of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus on breast reconstruction outcomes.” Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014 Jul;146(2):429-38.
- Khavanin N, Mlodinow A, Kim JY, Ver Halen JP, Antony AK, Samant S. “Assessing safety and outcomes in outpatient versus inpatient thyroidectomy using the NSQIP: A propensity score matched analysis of 16,370 patients.” Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Feb;22(2):429-36.
- Kim JYS, Khavanin N, Jordan SW, Ver Halen JP, Mlodinow AS, Bethke KP, Khan SA, Hansen NM, Losken A, Fine NA. “Individualized risk of surgical-site infection: An application of the Breast Reconstruction Risk Assessment Score.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Sep;134(3):351e-362e.
- Soto-Miranda MA, Ver Halen JP. “Description and implementation of an ex vivo simulator kit for developing microsurgery skills.” Annals of Plastic Surgery 2014 June; 72 Suppl 2:S208-12.
- Khavanin N, Mlodinow A, Kim JY, Ver Halen JP, Samant S. “Predictors of 30-day readmission after outpatient thyroidectomy: An analysis of the 2011 NSQIP data set.” Am J Otolaryngol. 2014 May-Jun;35(3):332-9.
- Kim BD, Ver Halen JP, Lim S, Kim JY. “Predictors of 61 unplanned readmission cases in microvascular free tissue transfer patients: Multi-institutional analysis of 774 patients.” Microsurgery. 2015 Jan;35(1):13-20.
- Ver Halen JP, Soto-Miranda MA, Hammond S, Konofaos P, Neel M, Rao B. “Lower extremity reconstruction after limb-sparing sarcoma resection of the proximal tibia in the pediatric population: Case series, with algorithm.” Journal of Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery 2014 Aug;48(4):238-43.
- Konofaos P, Kashyap A, Ver Halen J. “Biomedical approaches to improve bone healing in distraction osteogenesis: a current update and review.” Biomed Tech (Berlin) 2014 June 1; 59(3):177-83.
- Saha D, Davila AA, Ver Halen JP, Jain UK, Hansen N, Bethke K, Khan SA, Jeruss J, Fine N, Kim JY. “Post-mastectomy reconstruction: a risk-stratified comparative analysis of outcomes.” The Breast 2013 December; 22(6):1072-80.
- Kim BD, Ver Halen JP, Grant DW, Kim JY. “Anesthesia duration as an independent risk factor for postoperative complications in free flap surgery: a review of 1,305 surgical cases.” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 2014 May; 30(4):217-26.
- Kim BD, Ver Halen JP, Mlodinow AS, Kim JYS. “Intraoperative transfusion of packed red blood cells in microvascular free tissue transfer patients: Assessment of 30-day morbidity using the NSQIP dataset.” J Reconstr Microsurg. 2014 Feb;30(2):103-14.
- Mioton LM, Buck DW, Rambachan A, Ver Halen J, Dumanian GA, Kim JYS. “Predictors of readmission after outpatient plastic surgery.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Jan;133(1):173-80.
- Mlodinow AS, Ver Halen JP, Lim S, Nguyen KT, Gaido JA, Kim JY. “Predictors of readmission after breast reconstruction: A multi-institutional anaylsis of 5012 patients.” Ann Plast Surg. 2013 Oct;71(4):335-41.
- Konofaos P, Soto-Miranda MA, Ver Halen JP, Fleming JC. “Supratrochlear and supraorbital nerves: An anatomical study and applications in the head and neck area.” Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Sep-Oct;29(5):403-8.
- Soto-Miranda MA, Sandoval JA, Rao B, Neel M, Krasin M, Spunt S, Jenkins JJ, Davidoff JJ, Ver Halen JP. “Surgical treatment of pediatric desmoids tumors. A 12-year, single-center experience.” Ann Surg Oncol 2013 Oct;20(11):3384-90.
- Mlodinow A, Ver Halen JP, Rambachan A, Gaido J, Kim J. “Anemia is not a predictor of free flap failure: A review of NSQIP data.” Microsurgery. 2013 Sep;33(6):432-8.
- Konofaos P, Hammond S, Ver Halen J, Samant S. "Reconstructive techniques in transoral robotic surgery for head and neck cancer: A North American survey." Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Feb;131(2):188e-197e.
- Konofaos P, Ver Halen JP. "Nerve repair by Means of Tubulization: Past, Present, Future." J Reconstr Microsurg. 2013 Mar;29(3):149-64.
- Parks J, Kath M, Gabrick K, Ver Halen JP. “Nanotechnology applications in plastic and reconstructive surgery: A review.” Plast Surg Nurs. 2012 Oct-Dec;32(4):156-64.
- Konofaos P, Ver Halen J, Neel M. “A novel magnetically-activated, fully implantable device for bone transport in long bones. Description of device, and two cases.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Sep;130(3):418e-22e.
- Ver Halen J. “A Prospective Cohort Study of Fibula Free Flap Donor-Site Morbidity in 157 Consecutive Patients.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2012 June; 129(6):1007e-1008e.
- Samant M, Chang EI, Petrungaro J, Ver Halen JP, Yu P, Skoracki RJ, Chang DW. “Reconstruction of massive oncologic defects following extremity amputation: a 10-year experience.” Annals of Plastic Surgery, 2012 May; 68(5):467-71.
- Ver Halen J, Skoracki R, Yu P, Chang DW. “Reconstruction of massive oncologic defects with free fillet flaps.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2010 Mar; 125(3):913-22.
- Ver Halen J, Yu P. “Reconstruction of extensive groin defects with contralateral anterolateral thigh- vastus lateralis muscle flaps.” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2010 Mar; 125(3):130e-3e.
- Hopper R, VerHalen J, Tepper O, Mehrara B, Detch R, Chang E, Baharestani S, Simon B, Gurtner G. “Osteoblasts stimulated with pulsed electromagnetic fields increase HUVEC proliferation via a VEGF-independent mechanism.” Bioelectromagnetics April 2009 30:189-197.
- Jensen AR, Klein MB, Ver Halen JP, Wright AS, Horvath KD. “Skin Flaps and Grafts: A Primer for the National Technical Skills Curriculum Advanced Tissue Handling Module.” Journal of Surgical Education 2008 65:191-9.
- Wang H, VerHalen J, Madariaga ML, Xiang S, Wang S, Lan P, Oldenborg P, Sykes M, Yang YG. “Attenuation of Phagocytosis of Xenogeneic Cells by Manipulating CD47.” Blood 2007 109:836-42.
- Movassaghi K, VerHalen J, Ganchi P, Amin-Hanjani S, Mesa J, Yaremchuk MJ. “Cranioplasty with subcutaneously preserved autologous bone grafts.” Plast Reconstr Surg 2006 117:202-6.
- Yang YG, Chen AM, Garrett LJ, Sergio JJ, Theodore P, Awwad M, VerHalen J, Bodine DM, Sachs DH, Sykes M. "Development and analysis of transgenic mice expressing porcine hematopoietic cytokines: A model for achieving porcine hematopoietic chimerism across an extensive xenogeneic barrier." Xenotransplantation 2000 7:58-64.
- Lazareff JA, Peacock W, Holly L, Ver Halen J, Wong A, Olmstead C. “Multiple Shunt Failures: An Analysis of Relevant Factors.” Child’s Nervous System 1998 Jun; 14(6):271-5.
- Non-Refereed Papers
- Ver Halen J. “Entering the modern era of surgical training; or, Learn by doing… Just not on me!!!” PRSonally Speaking (official blog of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery), Oct 25 2012.
- Ver Halen J. “SPY: Sour Grapes, the Elephant in the Room, and Desire.” PRSonally Speaking (official blog of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery), June 27, 2012.
- Ver Halen J. Comment on “Beyond Working Hours, Part I and II.” PRSonally Speaking (official blog of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery), June 2012.
- Ver Halen JP. “Microvascular surgery gives patients reconstructive options.” Physicians Practice, November 2009.
- VerHalen J. “Achievement of porcine hematopoesis in mice without genetic manipulation.” Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology Thesis for MD Degree, 2002.