Associate Professor of Surgery
University of Ottawa Ontario
|1978-1982||BSc (Biology), Dean's List, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia|
|1982-1986||Medical Doctor, Graduated with Honours, University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine, Toronto, Ontario|
|1987||Licensure, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario|
|1991||Certification, Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy|
|1991-1994||MSc (Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics) McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario|
|1996||DABU, American Board of Urology, Bingham Farms, Michigan|
|2005||Recertified American Board of Urology, Bingham Farms, Michigan|
Dr. John Mahoney is a practicing urologist at The Ottawa Hospital and is associate professor at the University of Ottawa. He is also Director of the Renal Surgical Transplantation Program at The Ottawa Hospital.
Dr. Mahoney obtained his B.Sc. at St. Francis Xavier University, completed his medical and surgical training at the University of Toronto and completed his Master’s degree in Clinical Epidemiology at McMaster University. He obtained additional training at the Ohio State University in transplantation.
He has an active surgical practice in urology with a special focus in renal transplantation, having developed many new techniques in both living related donation and transplantation in Ottawa. Dr. Mahoney's research interests have included epidemiologic studies which involve renal transplantation, prostate disease and urinary lithiasis.
Dr. Mahoney has served on the Urology Executive of the Ontario Medical Association for over ten years. He is actively involved with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario as a peer assessor in Urology. He has served on many hospitals, as well as, provincial, national and international committees in health care. Dr. Mahoney provides urological services for outlying areas including Hawkesbury and to the Baffin Island Medical Program. He currently holds the position of President, Medical Staff Association of The Ottawa Hospital.
Ex-officio governors are appointed for as long as they hold the position in The Ottawa Hospital or other organization that entitles them to a seat on the Board according to the Administrative By-law.
|1993-1996||Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Wellesley Hospital, University of Toronto|
|1993-1996||Director, Clinical Trials Unit, Division of Urology, University of Toronto|
|1993-1996||Director, Lithotripsy Research Group, Wellesley Hospital, University of Toronto|
|1994-1996||Director, Principles of Surgery Course, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto|
|1996-2009||Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Ottawa General Hospital, University of Ottawa|
|2009-present||Associate Professor , Universty of Ottawa|
|2004-present||Peer Assessor, Section of Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario|
|2010-2012||President, Medical Staff, (elected), The Ottawa Hospital.|
|2012-present||President Medical staff (Re-elected)|
|2008-present||Member of the Board of Governors, The Ottawa Hospital.|
|2009-present||Surgical Director , Renal Transplantation, Department of Surgery,University of Ottawa.|
Membership In Medical/Scientific Organizations
- American College of Surgeons
- American Urologic Association
- Canadian Academy of Urological Surgeons
- Canadian Medical Protective Association
- Canadian Urologic Association
- Canadian Urologic Oncology Group
- Ontario Medical Association
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Goldberg S, Gray R, St. Louis E, Mahoney J, Jewett MAS, Keresteci A. Non-operative management of complications of percutaneous nephrolithotomy. Canadian Journal of Surgery 1989; 32(3): 192-195
- Herschorn S, Mahoney J, Radomski S, Hirshberg E. Evaluation and treatment of blunt renal trauma. Journal of Urology 1991; 146(2): 274-277.
- Krahn M, Mahoney J and Detsky AS. PSA screening for prostate cancer: A decision analytic perspective. JAMA 1994; 272(10): 773-780.
- Mahoney J. A randomized controlled trial to evaluate the efficacy of transurethral thermotherapy compared with transurethral resection of the prostate in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Archives of McMaster University 1994.
- Mahoney J. Plant extracts in the medical management of benign prostatic hyperplasia: Fact or fiction. Canadian Journal of Urology 1995; 2(2):125-129.
- Mahoney J, Wright J, Lossing A and McLeod, R. Prognosis in surgery: Why they are made, strategies for making them and study design. Surgery 1996;120(3):563-566.
- Wright J, McLeod RS, Mahoney J, Lossing A and Hu X. Practice Guidelines in Surgery. Surgery 1996; 119:706-709.
- Mahoney J, Barkin J, Orovan W and Charendoff, G. Measuring the minimum clinically important difference in BPH outcome measures. Canadian Journal of Urology 1997; 4(2): 377-380.
- Jewett MAS, Bombardier C, Logan AG, Psihramis KE, Wesley-James T, Mahoney JE, Luymes JJ, Ibanez D, Ryan MR & DA. Honey RJ. A randomized controlled trial to assess the incidence of new onset hypertension in patients after ESWL therapy for asymptomatic renal calculi. Journal of Urology, Vol 160, 1998, 1241-1243.
- Nickel JC, Nigro M, Valiquette L, Anderson P, Patrick A, Mahoney J, Buckley R, Corcos J, Hosking D. The diagnosis and treatment of prostatitis in Canada. Urology, 52 (5) 1998, 797-802.
- Watterson JD, Mahoney J & Futter NG. Iatrogenic ureteric injuries: An approach to etiology and management. Canadian Journal of Surgery 1998; 41(5): 379-82.
- Jewett AS, Bombardier C, Logan AG, Konstantinos E, Psihramis, Wesley-James T, Mahoney J, Luymes JJ, Ibanez D, Ryan M and Honey RJ. A Randomized Controlled Trial to Assess the Incidence of New Onset Hypertension in Patients After Shock Wave Lithotripsy for Asymptomatic Renal Calculi. The Journal of Urology 1998; 160: 1241-1243.
- Saltel E, Angel JB, Futter NG, Walsh WG, O’Rourke K, Mahoney J. Increased Prevalence and an Analysis of Risk Factors for Indinavir Nephrolithiasis. The Journal of Urology 2000: 164: 1895-1897. Created study design, supervised student writing, data collection and analysis.
- Lacroix J, Knoll G, Mahoney J, Renal Transplantation using Non-Heart-Beating Donors” A Potential Solution to the Organ Donor Shortage in Canada. Canadian Journal of Surgery; Vol. 47 (1):10-14. February 2004. (created study design, supervised student with respect to data collection and writing of manuscript)
- Ar’Rajab A, Mahoney J, Pelletier Rp, Henry ML, Elkhammas EA, Bumgardner GL, Davies EA, Ferguson RM. Hand-assisted Laparoscopic Live Donor Nephrectomy: the Ohio State University Experience. The Ohio State University Medical Center, Division of Surgery/Transplantation, 1654, Upham Dr., Columbus, OH 43210 (2001). Canadian Journal of Surgery, Vol 48, No.2, April 2005. Performed statistical analysis of learning curve.
- Papa L., Stiell IG, Wells GA., Mahoney J, Predicting Intervention in Renal Colic Patients After Emergency Department Evaluation. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine, 7(2): 78-86, March 2005. (participated in the adjudication of all research events, supervised thesis and study design in terms of urologic expertise).
- Lacroix j., Knoll G. Mahoney, J. Renal Transplantation Using Non-Heart beating Donors- A Potential Solution for The Organ Donor Shortage in Canada. Canadian Journal of Surgery; Vol 47 (1):10-14.Responsible for idea, design, analysis and supervision of manuscript.
- National recommendations for donation after cardiocirculatory death in CanadaCMAJ Oct.10,2006,Vol.175;No.8 (suppl):S1-S24 –cited as an invited contributer p.20
- Rasuli P., Friedlich, M.S. Mahoney, J.E Percutaneous Retrieval of Retained Appendicolith. Cardiovasc Radiol Intervent 2007;30(2):342-344.Responsible for idea and successfully carrying out procedure.
- Effect of Selenium and Vitamin E on Risk of Prostate Cancer and Other Cancers The Selenium and Vitammin E Cnacer Prevention Trial (Select)Vol. 301 No.1, January 7, 2009
Invited Editorial in Peer-Reviewed Journal
- Commentary on Flutamide Did Not Prolong Survival and Increased Toxic Effects After Orchiectomy in Metastatic Prostate Cancer: evidence-based medicine. Vol. 4, no.3, p.83 May/June 1999.
- Mahoney, J. Editorial on the current status of lithotripsy in Canada. CMAJ 2001: June 26, 2001. 164(13).This work asssisted The Eastern Ontario region to get access to Lithotripsy therapy
- Mahoney J., Knoll G., Non Heart Beating Organ Donation in Canada-Time to Proceed? Canadian Medical Association Journal, August 19, 2003. Vol. 169 (4).Responsible for idea and analysis; shortly after a Canadian concensus confernce was arranged.(see above)
Non-Peer Reviewed Published
- Mahoney J and Krahn M. Decision analysis for prostate cancer screening. Canadian Journal of Continuing Medical Education 1994; 6(2): 45-60.
- Mahoney J and Bora B. The pros and cons of PSA testing. The Canadian Journal of Diagnosis 1996; 13(11): 111-115.
- Watterson, JD and Mahoney JE. Urinary Stones: an Ounce of Prevention. The Canadian Journal of Diagnosis 1997; November:115-120.