Associate Professor of Transplant Surgery
University of California San Diego
|Dates Attended||Name of Institution||Position|
|2001-2003||UCSF Transplant Surgery||Transplant Fellow|
|1995-1999||University of Pennsylvania||Molecular Biology/Gene Therapy Post Doctoral Fellow, Research Mentor: James Wilson M.D., Ph.D.|
|1999-2001||University of Minnesota||PGY – 4,5, General Surgery|
|1993-1995||University of Minnesota||PGY – 2,3, General Surgery|
|1992-1993||University of Minnesota||Internship, General Surgery|
|1988-1992||University of Michigan||M.D|
|1984-1988||Michigan State University||B.S., Biology|
Jeffery Halldorson, MD, is a board-certified transplant and hepatobiliary surgeon who specializing in all aspects of liver, kidney and pancreas transplantation, as well as liver and hepatobiliary surgery and general surgery as applied to the transplant patient.
Dr. Halldorson has authored numerous manuscripts in peer reviewed journals regarding his research in improving outcomes of donor organs and recipients by optimizing the matching process. Other research interests include optimizing outcomes for donation after cardiac death liver transplantation, liver allocation strategy and policy, as well as development of gene therapy strategies for inherited diseases. Dr. Halldorson is a member on the editorial board of several surgical journals.
Dr. Halldorson received his medical degree from University of Michigan Medical School. He completed a general surgery Residency at the University of Minnesota. During his residency, he spent four years of post-doctoral training at the University of Pennsylvania studying molecular biology and gene therapy. After finishing surgical residency in 2001, Dr. Halldorson completed a two-year fellowship in multi-organ transplantation at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Halldorson is board-certified in general surgery.
Prior to joining the transplant team at UC San Diego Health, Dr. Halldorson was Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington. He is a member of the American Society of Transplant Surgery, the American Society of Transplantation, the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, and the American Medical Association.
- Hepatobiliary Surgery
- Kidney and Pancreas Transplantation
- Liver Transplantation
|Dates||Name of Institution||Position|
|2012-Present||UCSD, Department of Surgery, Division of Transplant Surgery||Associate Professor of Transplant Surgery|
|2008-2012||UW, Department of Surgery, Division of Transplant Surgery||Assistant Professor of Transplant Surgery|
|2007-2008||UW, Department of Surgery, Division of Transplant Surgery||Clinical Assistant Professor of Transplant Surgery|
|2003-2007||UW, Department of Surgery, Division of Transplant Surgery||Acting Assistant Professor of Transplant Surgery|
|2001-2003||University of California, SF, Transplant Surgery||Instructor Transplant Surgery|
Memberships in Professional and Scientific Societies
- International Liver Transplantation Society
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- American Society of Transplantation
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- American Medical Association
|2015-present||Member ASTS Standards Committee|
|2014-present||Liver Transplant Outreach committee, UCSD|
|2014-present||Member UCSD Surgery QIR committee|
|2014-present||Member DCD working group Lifesharing, San Diego|
|2013-present||Co-Chair Liver Transplant Committee, UCSD|
|2013-present||Alternate Representative to UNOS Region 5 Liver Transplant Committee|
|2013-present||Member Medical Advisory Committee, Lifecenter, San Diego, Membership Advisory Committee|
|2013-present||Member Liver Cancer Group, UCSD|
|2013-present||UCSD Transplant Contracting Committee Member|
|2009-2012||Physician Champion for Billing and Compliance Division of Transplantation, University of Washington|
|2008-2012||Member Surgical Infectious Disease Committee University of Washington, University of Washington|
|2010-2012||Member Surgery Committee on Research, University of Washington, University of Washington|
- Jones JW, Halldorson J, Elick B, Granger DK, Matas AJ. Unrecognized health problems diagnosed during living donor evaluation: a potential benefit.Transplant Proc. 1993 Dec;25(6):3083-84.
- Zwacka RM, Zhang Y, Halldorson J, Schlossberg H, Dudus L, Engelhardt JF. CD4(+) T-lymphocytes mediate ischemia/reperfusion-induced inflammatory responses in mouse liver.J Clin Invest. 1997 Jul 15;100(2):279-89.
- Zwacka RM, Zhou W, Zhang Y, Darby CJ, Dudus L, Halldorson J, Oberley L, Engelhardt JF. Redox gene therapy for ischemia/reperfusion injury of the liver reduces AP1 and NF-κβ activation.Nat Med. 1998 June;4(6): 698-704.
- Zwacka RM, Zhang Y, Zhou W, Halldorson J, Engelhardt JF. Ischemia/reperfusion injury in the liver of BALB/c mice activates AP-1 and nuclear factor κβ independently of Iκβ degradation.Hepatology 1998 Oct;28(4):1022-30.
- Louboutin JP, Rouger K, Tinsley JM, Halldorson J, Wilson JM. iNOS expression In dystrophinopathies can be reduced by somatic gene transfer of dystrophin or utrophin.Mol Med. 2001;7(5):355-64.
- Limaye AP, Bakthavatsalam R, Kim HW, Kuhr CS, Halldorson JB, Healey PJ, Boeckh M. Late-onset cytomegalovirus disease in liver transplant recipients despite antiviral prophylaxis.Transplantation 2004 Nov 15;78(9):1390-96.
- Limaye AP, Bakthavatsalam R, Kim HW, Randolph SE, Halldorson JB, Healey PJ, Kuhr CS, Levy AE, Perkins JD, Reyes JD, Boeckh M. Impact of cytomegalovirus in organ transplant recipients in the era of antiviral prophylaxis.Transplantation 2006 Jun 27;81(12):1645-52.
- Chan EY, Olson LC, Kisthard JA, Perkins JD, Bakthavatsalam R, Halldorson JB, Reyes JD, Larson AM, Levy AE. Ischemic cholangiopathy following liver transplantation from donation after cardiac death donors. Liver Transpl.2008 May 14(5):604-10.
- Chan EY, Larson AM, Fix OK, Yeh MM, Levy AE, Bakthavatsalam R, Halldorson JB, Reyes JD, Perkins JD. Identifying risk for recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma after liver transplantation: implications for surveillance studies and new adjuvant therapies.Liver Transpl. 2008 Jul;14(7):956-65.
- Perkins JD, Halldorson JB, Bakthavatsalam R, Fix OK, Carithers RL Jr, Reyes JD. Should liver transplantation in patients with model for end-stage liver disease scores ≤ 14 be avoided? A decision analysis approach.Liver Transpl. 2009 Feb;15(2):242-54.
- Halldorson JB, Bakthavatsalam R, Fix O, Reyes JD, Perkins JD. D-MELD, a simple predictor of post liver transplant mortality for optimization of donor and recipient matching.Am J Transplant. 2009 Feb 9(2):318-26.
- Halldorson JB, Bakthavatsalam R, Reyes JD, Perkins JD. The impact of consecutive operations on survival after liver transplantation.Liver Transpl.2009 Aug;15(8):907-14.
- Gregorevich P, Schultz BR, Allen JM, Halldorson JB, Blankinship ML, Meznarich MA, Kuhr CS, Doremus C, Finn E, Liggett D, Chamberlain JS.Evaluation of vascular delivery methodologies to enhance rAAV6-mediated gene transfer to canine striated musculature.Mol Ther. 2009 Aug;17(8):1427-33. Epub 2009 May 26.
- Halldorson JB, Bakthavatsalam R, Salvalaggio PR, Pichler RH, Kendrick EA, Reyes JD, Davis CL, Leca N. Donor-recipient size matching influences early but not late graft function after pediatric en-bloc kidney transplantation.Transplantation 2010; 89(2): 208-14.
- Spitzer AL, Dick AA, Bakthavatsalam R, Halldorson JB, Salvalaggio PR, Reyes JD, Perkins JD. Intraoperative portal vein blood flow predicts allograft and patient survival following liver transplantation. HPB (Oxford) 2010;12:166-73.
- Spitzer AL, Lao OB, Dick AA, Bakthavatsalam R, Halldorson JB, Yeh MM, Upton MP, Reyes JD, Perkins JD. The biopsied donor liver: incorporating macrosteatosis into high-risk donor assessment.Liver Transpl. 2010;16:874-84.
- Park ES, Peccoud M, Wicks KA, Halldorson JB, Carithers RL Jr, Reyes JD, Perkins JD. Use of an automated clinical management system improves outpatient immunosuppressive care following liver transplantation.JAMIA 2010;17:396-402
- Rayhill S, Schwartz J, Ham J, Carithers R, Lei Y, Bhattacharya R, Liou I, Landis C, Limaye A, Rakita R, Dick A, Healey J, Halldorson J, Bakthavatsalam R, Perkins J, Reyes J. The use of hepatitis B core antibody-positive donor livers does not appear to have a deleterious effect on graft survival in liver transplantation for hepatitis C.Transplant Proc 42(10):4141-44, 2010.
- Cantafio A, Dick A, Halldorson J, Bakthavatsalam R, Reyes J, Perkins J., Risk stratification of kidneys from donation after cardiac death donors and the utility of machine perfusion.Clin Transplant. 2011 Sep-Oct;25(5):E530-40.
- Roberts JP, Paarsch HJ, Segre A, Halldorson JB.Competition and posttransplant outcomes in cadaveric liver transplantation under the MELD scoring system.Collegio Carlo Alberto, July 2011, No. 213.
- Halldorson J, Dodge J, Paarsch HJ, A Segre A, Roberts JP.Center competition and outcome following liver transplantation.Liver Transplantation2013 Jan;19(1):96-104.
- Bieber S, Halldorson J, Finn E, Ahmad S, Chamberlain J, Odom G.Extracorporeal delivery of rAAV with metabolic exchange and oxygenation.Scientific Reports 3: 1538, Mar 26, 2013.
- Avolio AW, Halldorson JB, Burra P, Dutkowski P, Agnes S, Clavien PA. Balancing utility and need by means of donor-to-recipient matching: achallenging problem.Am J Transplant. 2013 Feb;13(2):522-23.
- Avolio AW, Halldorson JB, Lirosi M, Lupo L, Nicoletti N, Agnes S. D-MELD, a strong and accurate tool to guide donor-2-recipient matching.Ann Transplant. 2013 Apr 8;18:161-62.
- JiaN, Liou I, HalldorsonJ, Carithers C, Perkins J, Reyes J, Yeh M, Stohr E, Rao S and Lin EH. Phase I adjuvant trial of sorafenib in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma after orthotopic liver transplantation.Anticancer Res. 2013 Jun;33(6):2797-800.
- Halldorson JB, JP Roberts.Decadal analysis of deceased organ donation in Spain and the United Stateslinking an increased donation rate and utilization of older donors. Liver Transpl. 2013 Sep;19(9):981-86. doi: 10.1002/lt.23684.
- LecaN, WarnerP, BakthavatsalamR, NelsonK, HalldorsonJB, Rayhill S, Kendrick E, Davis C, Reyes JD. Outcome of simultaneous liver and kidney transplantation in relation to a high level of preformed donor-specific antibodies.Transplantation. 2013 Nov 27; 96(10):914-18.
- Lang J, SmithA, Brandon A, Bradley K, Liu Y, Li Y, Crowe D, Jhala N, Cross R, Frenette L, Martay K, Vater Y, Vitin A, Dembo G, DuBay D, Bynon J, Szychowski J, Reyes J, Halldorson J, Rayhill S, Dick A, Bakthavatsalam R, Brandenberger J, Broeckel-Elrod J, Sissons-Ross L, Jordan T, Chen L, Siriussawakul A, Eckhoff D, Patel R. A randomized clinical trial testing the anti-inflammatory effects of pre-emptive inhaled nitric oxide in human liver transplantation. PLoS ONE 9(2): e86053. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0086053
- Montenovo M, Vaidya S, Bakthavatsalam RB, Halldorson JB. Pseudoaneurysm after combined kidney/pancreas transplantation presenting with sentinel bleeding. A case report and review. Ann Transplant. 2014;19:317-19.
- Halldorson JB, Carithers R, Bakthavatsalam R, Dick A, Bhattacharya R, Liou I, Reyes J, James D. Perkins.D-MELD risk capping improves post-transplant and overall mortality after listing under markov microsimulation. World J Transplant. 2014 September 24; 4(3): 206-15.
- Halldorson JB.The impact of market forces on liver transplant allocation. Surgery Curr Res 2014, 4: e.117. doi: 10.4172/2161-1076.1000e117.
- Halldorson JB, Bakthavatsalam R, Dick A, Rayhill S, Perkins JD, Reyes JD. Differential rates of ischemic cholangiopathy and graft survival associated with induction therapy in DCD liver transplantation.Am J Transplant 2015 15(1): 251-58.
- Halldorson JB, Bakthavatsalam R, Dick A, Rayhill S, Perkins JD, Reyes JD. Serum alkaline phosphatase and bilirubin are early surrogate markers for ischemic cholangiopathy and graft failure after DCD liver transplantation.Transplant Proc. 2015; 47(2): 465-68.
- Mekeel KL, Halldorson JB, Berumen JA, Hemming AW. Kidney clamp, perfuse, re-implant:a useful technique for graft salvage after vascular complications during kidney transplantation.Clin Transplant. 2015 Apr;29(4):373-78.
- Rayhill S, Halldorson J, Dick A, Nazarian S, Subulesky L, Montenovo M, Imran J, Pearson T, Healey P, Bakthavatsalam R, Perkins J, Reyes J. Induction therapy with either anti-thymocyte antibodies or Il2 receptor inhibitors appears to decrease the risk of graft loss in DCD liver transplants compared to no induction therapy. Am J Transplant 2015, Suppl. 1 15: 96.
- Anderson J, Steiner B, Mekeel K, Chang D, Hemming AW, Halldorson JB.ECD kidney transplantation outcomes are improved when matching donors to recipients using a novel creatinine clearance match ratio (CCMR). Clin Transplant. 2015 Sep;29(9):738-46. doi: 10.1111/ctr.12555. Epub 2015 Aug 6.
- Halldorson J, Kazi Z, Mekeel K, Kuo A, Hassanein, T, Loomba R, Austin S, Valasek, M, Kishnani P, Hemming AW.Successful combined liver/kidney transplantation from a cadaveric donor with Pompe disease. Mol Genet Metab. 2015 Aug;115(4):141-44. doi: 10.1016/j.ymgme.2015.05.007. Epub 2015 May 13.