Associate Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics
Baylor College of Medicine
|Bachelor of Science: City College of New York|| New York, NY,
|Doctor of Medicine: New York University School of Medicine|| New York, NY,
Dr. Allen Milewicz is the Chief Surgical Officer at Texas Children's Hospital West Campus. His academic appointments include Associate Professor Department of Surgery Baylor College of Medicine. He has been an attending pediatric surgeon at Texas Children's Hospital, the nation’s largest children’s hospital, for 24 years. Dr. Milewicz is a member of the Quality and Outcomes Committee and the Workforce Committee of the American Pediatric Surgical Association. He serves on numerous Texas Children's and Baylor Department of Surgery committees and is involved in the general surgery and pediatric surgery residency training programs. He is an officer of the Houston Pediatric Society.
Dr. Milewicz received a bachelor’s degree from City College of New York in 1979. He received his medical degree from New York University School of Medicine in 1981 and was part of the honors program. His post graduate surgery residency education was at Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas Veteran’s Administration Hospital,and Children’s Medical Center. He was also a Clinical Associate in Cardiac Surgery at The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. He completed a fellowship at the Liver Transplant Program, University of California, Los Angles. Dr. Milewicz was a Chief Resident in Pediatric Surgery at the Children’s Hospital of Oklahoma. Dr. Milewicz recently obtained his MBA from Rice University.
Dr. Milewicz has research experience in cardiac surgery, liver transplantation and hepatobiliary disorders. He has advanced training and extensive experience in skeletal malformations of the chest and in extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Dr. Milewicz has contributed to several articles and lectures related to liver transplantation.
|Faculty Senate: Pediatric Surgery|| Baylor College of Medicine
|Assistant Professor: Department of Surgery|| Baylor College of Medicine
|Assistant Professor: Department of Pediatrics, Secondary Appointment|| Baylor College of Medicine
Previous faculty position(s) at other institutions:
|Clinical Assistant Professor: Department of Surgery|| University of Texas Health Science Center
Other non-academic positions:
|Chief of Community Surgery: Texas Children’s Hospital|| Department of Surgery
2014 to present
|Private Practice Surgeon: Houston Pediatric Surgeons|| Houston, TX
- Takach TJ, Glassman LR, Milewicz AL, Clark RE.Continuous measurement of intramyocardial pH: relative importance of hypothermia and cardioplegic perfusion pressure and temperature. Ann Thorac Surg. 1986 Oct;42(4):365-71.PMID: 3490231
- Olthoff KM, Millis JM, Imagawa DK, Nuesse BJ, Derus LJ, Rosenthal JT, Milewicz AL, Busuttil RW.Comparison of UW solution and Euro-Collins solutions for cold preservation of human liver grafts.Transplantation. 1990 Feb;49(2):284-90.PMID: 2305457
- Nimer SD, Milewicz AL, Champlin RE, Busuttil RW. Successful treatment of hepatic venoocclusive disease in a bone marrow transplant patient with orthotopic liver transplantation.Transplantation. 1990 Apr;49(4):819-21.. PMID: 2326879
- McDiarmid SV, Hall TR, Grant EG, Milewicz AL, Lois J, Vargas J, Ament ME, Busuttil RW. Failure of duplex sonography to diagnose hepatic artery thrombosis in a high-risk group of pediatric liver transplant recipients. Transplant Proc. 1990 Aug;22(4):1529-30. No abstract available. PMID: 2202121
- Felton RJ, Tuggle DW, Milewicz AL, Shock CK, Taylor DV, Perkins TA, Tunell WP.
- High mortality with an intraperitoneal antiadhesive in the rat. Curr Surg. 1990 Nov-Dec;47(6):444-6. PMID: 2279405
- Busuttil RW, Seu P, Millis JM, Olthoff KM, Hiatt JR, Milewicz AL, Nuesse BJ, El-Khoury G, Raybould D, Nyerges A, Vargas J, McDairmid S, Berquist W, Harrison R, Ament M: Liver transplantation in children. Ann Surg 213(1), 1991.
- McDiarmid SV, Hall TR, Grant EG, Milewicz AL, Olthoff K, Lois J, Vargas J, Ament ME, Busuttil RW.Failure of duplex sonography to diagnose hepatic artery thrombosis in a high-risk group of pediatric liver transplant recipients.J Pediatr Surg. 1991 Jun;26(6):710-3. PMID: 1941463
- Noyola DE, Klish WJ, Milewicz AL, Kaplan SL. Salmonella bacteremia after intestinal injury.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1998 May;17(5):438-9. NPMID: 9613667
- Cass DL, Hawkins E, Brandt ML, Chintagumpala M, Bloss RS, Milewicz AL, Minifee PK, Wesson DE, Nuchtern JG Surgery for ovarian masses in infants, children, and adolescents: 102 consecutive patients treated in a 15-year period. .J Pediatr Surg. 2001 May;36(5):693-9.PMID: 11329568
- Reid AJ, Bhattacharjee MB, Regalado ES, Milewicz AL, El-Hakam LM, Dauser RC, Milewicz DM. Diffuse and uncontrolled vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation in rapidly progressing pediatric moyamoya disease..J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2010 Sep;6(3):244-9 PMID: 20809708
- Tapia NM, Milewicz A, Whitney SE, Liang MK, Braxton CC. Identifying and Eliminating Deficiencies in the General Surgery Resident Core Competency Curriculum. JAMA Surg. 2014 Apr 2. PMID: 24696157