|2013||Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine, London, United Kingdom|
|2007-2017||Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine, Critical Care Medicine Subspecialty|
|2007-2017||Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Diseases Subspecialty|
|2005||Fellow of The American College of Geriatrics Specialists|
|2005||Diplomate of The American Board of Geriatrics|
|1998||Fellow of the American College of Critical Care Medicine|
|1997||Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine, Critical Care Medicine Subspecialty|
|1997||Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians|
|1996||Fellow of the American College of Physicians|
|1996-2006||Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Diseases Subspecialty|
|1992||Fellow of the American College of Angiology|
|1991||Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine|
Dr. Joseph Varon is the Chief of Critical Care at United Memorial Medical Center in Houston. In addition, he is the Former Chief of Critical Care Services and Past Chief of Staff at University General Hospital. He is a Professor of Acute and Continuing Care at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, Texas and Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. He is also Professor of Medicine, Surgery, and Professor of Emergency Medicine at several universities in Mexico, the Middle East, and Europe. After completing medical training at the UNAM Medical School in Mexico City, Mexico, Dr. Varon served an internship in internal medicine at Providence Hospital/George Washington University, Washington, DC. A subsequent residency in internal medicine was completed at Stanford University School of Medicine in Stanford, California. Dr. Varon also served fellowships in critical care medicine and pulmonary diseases at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. An avid researcher, Dr, Varon has contributed more than 725 peer-reviewed journal articles, 10 full textbooks, and 12 dozen book chapters to the medical literature. He is also a reviewer for multiple journals and currently serves as Editor-in-Chief for Critical Care and Shock and Current Respiratory Medicine Reviews. Dr. Varon has won many prestigious awards and is considered among one of the top physicians in the United States. Dr. Varon is also known for his groundbreaking contributions to Critical Care Medicine in the fields of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and therapeutic hypothermia. He has developed and studied technology for selective brain cooling. He is also a well-known expert in the area of hypertensive crises management. With Dr. Carlos Ayus, he co-described the hyponatremia associated with extreme exercise syndrome also known as the “Varon-Ayus syndrome”. Dr. Varon has lectured in over 56 different countries around the globe. Along with Professor Luc Montagnier (Nobel Prize Winner for Medicine in 2008), Dr. Varon created the Medical Prevention and Research Institute in Houston, Texas, where they conduct work on basic sciences projects. Dr. Varon has appeared on National and International television and radio show with his techniques and care of patients. He is well known for his academic and clinical work in the management of acute hypertension and has published extensively on this subject. In addition, he has worked on studies related to ethical issues in acute care medicine and has several peer-reviewed publications on this controversial subject.
- General Pulmonary Medicine.
- Critical Care Medicine.
- Sleep Medicine.
|2017-Present||Professor Emeritus (Medicine), Anahuac University, Cancun Campus, Mexico|
|2016-Present||Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas, USA|
|2013-Present||Professor of Medicine and Surgery, Benemerita Autonomous University of Puebla, Puebla, Mexico|
|2013-Present||Professor of Medicine and Surgery, Autonomous University of Queretaro, Queretaro, Mexico|
|2011-Present||Adjunct Professor of Medicine, Oceania University of Medicine, Apia, Samoa|
|2008-Present||Professor of Medicine, University Anahuac del Norte, Mexico DF, Mexico|
|2008-Present||Professor of Medicine, Autonomous University of Chihuahua, Mexico|
|2006-Present||Professor of Medicine, Northeastern University, Tampico, Mexico|
|2006-2011||Clinical Professor of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Texas, USA|
|2005-Present||Clinical Professor of Medicine, The University of Texas, Texas, USA|
|2005-Present||Professor of Medicine, Popular University Aútonoma of the State of Puebla. Puebla, Mexico|
|2003-Present||Professor, Acute and Continuing Care, The University of Texas Health Science Center School of Nursing, Texas, USA|
|2003-Present||Professor of Medicine, Autonomous University of Baja California, Tijuana, Mexico|
|1999-Present||Professor of Medicine and Surgery, University of Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico.|
|1999-Present||Professor of Medicine, Autonomous University of Tamaulipas School of Medicine, Tamaulipas, Mexico|
|1999-2003||Clinical Associate Professor ofAcute and Continuing Care, The University of Texas School of Nursing, Texas, USA|
|1999-2003||Associate Professor of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas, USA|
|1997-1999||Assistant Professor of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas, USA|
|1996-1998||Clinical Assistant Professor of General Instruction, The University of Texas, School of Nursing, Texas, USA|
|1994-1997||Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas, USA|
|1994-1997||Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, Critical Care and Medicine, The University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Texas, USA|
|1985||Honorary professor at the chair of Introduction to Clinical Sciences, General Hospital of México, UNAM, Mexico|
|1983-1984||Honorary professor, at the chair of human anatomy, under Dr. Nava. National University of México (UNAM), Mexico|
Membership For Professional Organizations
|2005-Present||Member of European Resuscitation Council|
|2004-Present||Member of American Academy of Sleep Medicine|
|1998-Present||Fellow in Society of Critical Care Medicine|
|1997-Present||Member of Latin American Association of Thorax|
|1997-Present||Member of Hispano American Biomedical Association|
|1997-Present||Fellow of American College of Chest Physicians|
|1996-Present||Fellow of American College of Chest Physicians|
|1995-Present||Active member in Texas Medical Association|
|1994-Present||Active member in Mexican Society of Pneumology and Thoracic Surgery|
|1994-Present||Member of Harris County Medical Society|
|1994-1995||Member of Houston Medico-Legal Society|
|1993-Present||Member of Greater Houston Society of Critical Care|
|1992-Present||Fellow in American College of Angiology|
|1992-Present||Member of Society of Critical Care Medicine|
|1992-Present||Active member of American College of Physicians|
|1992-2002||Active member of Houston Society of Emergency Physicians|
|1991-1999||Active member of Texas Society of Internal Medicine|
|1991-1994||Affiliate member of American College of Chest Physicians|
|1990-1999||Active member of American Medical Association|
|1990-1991||Active member in Society of General Internal Medicine|
|1989-1992||Affiliate member of American College of Physicians|
|1989-1992||Active member of California Society of Internal Medicine|
|1989-1994||Active member of American Society of Internal Medicine|
|1984-1986||Active member of New York Academy of Sciences|
|1983-1989||Active member of Mexican Anatomy Society|
Honors & Awards
|2017||Patients’ Choice Award: Texas Favorite Physicians|
|2017||America’s Best Physicians in critical care|
|2016||America’s Best Physicians in Pulmonary Medicine|
|2014||Patients’ Choice Award|
|2014||Most Compassionate Doctor Award|
|2013||Patients’ Choice Award|
|2013||Sleep Medicine Physicians|
|2013||Award for Excellent and Unconditional Teaching of Health Care Providers|
|2013||Most Compassionate Doctor Award|
|2013||Elected as Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine|
|2012||Patients’ Choice Award: Texas Favorite Physicians|
|2012||Most Compassionate Doctor Award|
|2011||Most Compassionate Doctor Award|
|2011||Outstanding Achievement Award for Extraordinary Service and Dedication to the Medical Profession|
|2011||Patients’ Choice Award|
|2010||America’s Top Physicians|
|2009||America’s Top Physicians|
|2008||Outstanding Achievement Award to the Medical Profession|
|2005||Elected Fellow of The American College of Geriatrics Specialists|
|2004||Physician of the Year Award|
|2003||Award for teaching performance|
|2002||Humberto Filizola Award|
|2002||Atenógenes Saldivar Award for outstanding service in education and research|
|2001||National Leadership Award|
|2001||Joseph Varon Award for Clinical Research|
|1999||Fellow of the American College of Critical Care Medicine|
|1997||Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians|
|1996||Elected Fellow of the American College of Physicians|
|1991||Jr. Awardfor excellence in research|
|1990||Jr. Awardfor excellence in research|
- Surani Z, Hirani R, Elias A, Quisenberry L, Varon J, Surani S: Healthcare workers and social media: Where do we stand? Submitted for publication to PlosONE.
- Garcia I, Ocegueda-Pacheco C, Surani S, Varon J: The diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension. Submitted for publication to Hosp Phys.
- Urquieta E, Varon J: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation during air medical transport of trauma patients. Submitted for publication to J Trauma.
- Polderman K, Varon J: Confusion around therapeutic temperature management - Hypothermia following in-hospital cardiac arrest?. Submitted for publication to Circulation.
- Einav S, Kaufman N, Varon J: Barriers to effective in-hospital resuscitation: Lessons learned during implementation of a hospital-wide code system. Submitted for publication to J Hosp Med.
- Polderman K, Bajus D, Varon J: Clevidipine is safe and effective for rapid blood pressure control in patients with acute neurological injuries. Submitted for publication. (Abstract) Intensive Care Med.
- Szczech LA, Granger CB, Dasta JF, Alpesh A, Peacock WF, McCullough PA, Devlin JW, Weir MR, Katz JN, Naderson FA, Wyman A, Varon J, for the STAT Investigators: Acute kidney injury and cardiovascular outcomes in acute severe hypertension. Submitted for publication to Circulation.
- Herrero S, Varon J, Cajavilca C, Braña A, Suárez Fernandez S: Delirium in critically ill patients: Prediction of the methodology for the evaluation of the confusional state in an intensive care unit (CAM-ICU) in Spain. Submitted for publication to Am J Psych.
- "Peacock FW, Varon J, Ebrahimi R, Dunbar L, Pollack CV: Clevidipine for severe hypertension in patients with renal dysfunction: A VELOCITY trial analysis. Submitted for publication to J Clin Hyper.
- Peacock F, Alpesh A, Granger C, Wyman A, Gore J, Pollack C, Kleinschmidt K, Varon J: Hypertension emergencies presenting as acute heart failure. The Studying the Treatment of Acute hyperTension Registry. Submitted for publication to Acad Emerg Med.
- Aronson S, Avery EG, Dyke C, Varon J, Levy JH: Blood pressure lability during cardiac surgery is associated with adverse outcomes. Submitted for publication to Anesthesiology.
- Pollack C, Varon J, Ebrahimi R, Peacock WF on behalf of the VELOCITY investigators: Clevidipine for acute hypertension in African Americans. Submitted for publication to J Am Coll Cardiol.
- Pollack C, Varon J, Garrison N, Ebrahimi E, Dunbar L, Peacock W: Clevidipine, a novel intravenous third generation calcium channel antagonist for the treatment of acute severe hypertension. Submitted for publication to Eur Heart J.
- Doheny C, Gonzalez L, Duchman SM, Varon J, Bechara CF, Cheung M, Lin PH: Echocardiographic assessment with right ventricular function improvement following ultrasound-directed thrombolytic therapy in submassive pulmonary embolism. Vascular. 2017.
- "Riley RM, Varon J: Neurological outcome after cardiac arrest managed with targeted temperature management: Are hemodynamic variables useful?Resuscitation. 2017.
- Chavez LO, Einav S, Varon J: When terminal illness is worse than death: A multi-center study of healthcare providers’ resuscitation desires. Submitted for publication to Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2017.
- Avalos M, Surani S, Varon J: Pleural metastatic melanoma: A case report and literature review. Curr Respir Med Rev. 2017
- Surani S, Varon J: Health care waste prevention: Are guidelines the solution or the problem? Am J Emerg Med. 2017
- Urquieta E, Poi MJ, Varon J, Lin PH: Reversal of spinal cord ischemia following endovascular thoracic aneurysm repair with hyperbaric oxygen and therapeutic hypothermia. Vasc Endovasc Surg 2017
- Arnaud D, Surani Z, Varon J, Surani S: Acute fibrinous and organizing pneumonia: A case report and literature review. Am J Case Rep. 2017
- Varon J: Hypertensive emergencies. First Consult.2017
- Avila A, Romero C, Varon J: Comparison of forgotten surgical techniques for pulmonary tuberculosis. Curr Respir Med Rev 2017; 13(2): 1
- Leon M, Chavez LO, Einav S, Varon J: Hospital workers confidence and reciprocity for end-of-life decisions in their family: A multi-center study. Ind J Pall Supp Care. 2017; 23(4): 363-367.
- Espina I, Varon J, Lin P: Thrombolytic therapy of acute massive pulmonary embolism using Swan-Ganz pulmonary artery catheter. Ann Vasc Surg 2017; 315: e9-12.
- Varon J: Nutritional requirements for patients undergoing therapeutic hypothermia. Proceedings of the 24th Asia Pacific Symposium on Critical Care and Emergency Medicine 2017. Indonesia Critical Care Society. Jakarta; 2017: 261- 262.
- "Varon J: Ethical issues in critical care and withdrawing and witholding therapy in the United States of America. Proceedings of the 24th Asia Pacific Symposium on Critical Care and Emergency Medicine 2017. Indonesia Critical Care Society. Jakarta; 2017: 58-60.
- Varon J: The management of the morbidly obese critically ill patient. Proceedings of the 12th Symposium of Nutri Indonesia in Conjunction with 4th International Nutrition Symposium. Jakarta. 2017: 18-20.
- Varon J: How to write a manuscript: Printed or electronic journal? Proceedings of the 12th Symposium of Nutri Indonesia in Conjunction with 4th International Nutrition Symposium. Jakarta. 2017: 15-16.
- Riley RM, Varon J: Premenstrual syndrome and dyspnea: Where is the data? Curr Respir Med Rev 2017; 13(1): 1.
- Riley RM, Varon J: When and how to freeze: It is all about SPAME! Resuscitation. 2017; 116: A1-A2.
- Arnaud D, Almaguer A, Mendez Y, Garcia I, Einav S, Varon J, ETHICS Study Investigators:.Does religion affect the care given by providers of sexual offender patients? Respiration 2017; 94 (1): 54 (P202).
- Mendez Y, Garcia I, Einav S, Surani S, Varon J, ETHICS Study Investigators: Race as a factor of providing care. Respiration 2017; 94 (1): 54 (P201).
- Urquieta EF, Varon J: Air medical transportation of the trauma patient in cardiac arrest. Aerosp Med Hum Perf 2017; 88(3): 309.
- Arnaud D, Varon J, Surani S: An unusual presentation of congenital lobar emphysema. Case Rep Pulm. 2017; 2017: 6719617.
- Varon J: Postoperative nausea and vomiting: A practical guide. Crit Care Med. 2017; 45(5): e539-e540.
- Silva-Perez LJ, Benitez-Lopez MA, Varon J, Surani S: Management of critically ill patients with diabetes. World J Diabetes. 2017; 8(3): 89-96.
- Mendez Y, Surani S, Varon J: Diabetic ketoacidosis: treatment in the intensive care unit or general medical/surgical ward?”. World J Diabetes. 2017; 8(2): 40-44.
- Urquieta E, Anjum H, Zanoria S, Varon J, Surani S: mediastinal lipoma with vascular compression. Crit Care Shock 2017; 20: 3.
- Bustamante-Mata S, Khan AA, Varon J, Surani S: Ureteral stents, sepsis and acute kidney injury: Iatrogenic imperfecta!. Crit Care Shock 2017; 20: 1-2.