Professor and Director
Department of Psychiatry
Adler Graduate Professional School
|1995||FRCP(C) Fellowship Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Canada|
|1987– 1991||M.D., University of Toronto|
|1982 -1987||B.Sc. (Hon.) (Psychology/Neuroscience), University of Toronto|
Dr. Katzman is the Clinic Director and Staff Psychiatrist at the S.T.A.R.T. Clinic (Stress, Trauma, Anxiety, Rehabilitation and Treatment) for Mood and Anxiety Disorders. He is also a faculty member at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (Laurentian University and Lakehead University) as well as in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Toronto. He is also appointed in the Department of Psychology at Lakehead University and is a member of the Faculty of Psychology at Adler School of Professional Studies. Dr. Katzman was trained at the University of Toronto, first undertaking his B.Sc. in
Psychology and Neuroscience, and subsequently his medical training and residency.
Dr. Katzman’s clinical work deals chiefly with the diagnosis and treatment of adults suffering with mood and anxiety disorders, as well as those suffering with chronic Attention Deficit Disorders, Executive Dysfunction as well as chronic pain, providing expert diagnostic assessment, and pharmacological treatment as well as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in both group and individual formats, psychodynamic treatment and Mindfulness Based treatments.
As an educator, Dr. Katzman has developed numerous training programs for both students and clinicians including medical students and residents, primary care physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists, nurses, a variety of support workers as well as naturopaths, and other complementary and alternative medicine clinicians. His research primarily involves examining the psychological manifestations associated with executive dysfunction in the mood, anxiety and traumatic disorders. Most recently, his specific recent interest has involved examining the role of “Intolerance of Uncertainty” as a driver of psychopathology and the role of hedonic tone in predicting the presence of comorbid conditions and differential response to treatment. In the past he has used such varied tools as positron emission tomography, the respiratory physiological challenge, and Doppler imaging, in association with a variety of anxiogenic challenges.
Dr. Katzman is also a founding member of the Board of Directors as well as the founding and current Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Anxiety Disorders Association of Canada/Association Canadienne des Troubles Anxieux (ADAC/ACTA).
He is the chair of a variety of scientific advisory boards, on the editorial board for a number of journals, and has published numerous papers in the areas of Anxiety, Mood, Pain and Attention Disorders.
- Executive Dysfunction
- Intolerance of Uncertainty
- Low Hedonic Tone
|2012 - Present||Chair, Anxiety Guideline Committee, Anxiety Disorders Association of Canada|
|2011-2013||Committee for the Development of a Residency in Pain Medicine: Founder Status: Royal College of Physicians|
|2011 – 2012||Member: Nucleus group on the Working Group in Pain Medicine, representative from Psychiatry|
|2010 – Present||Chair, Scientific Advisory Board at Anxiety Disorders Association of Canada (ADAC)|
|2010 -2012||Founding Chair: PTSD.Org|
|2010 – Present||Chair, Education and Professional Development (CEPD) Mental HealthProgram Planning Committee (PPC): sub-committee of the CEPD Advisory Committee|
- Fallu A, Dabouz F, Furtado M,Anand L, Katzman MA. A randomized, double-blind, cross-over, phase IV trial of Oros-Methylphenidate (Concerta®) and generic Novo-Methylphenidate ER-C (NOVO-generic). Accepted to Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology.
- Montoya A, Bruins R, Katzman MA, Blier P. The noradrenergic paradox: implications in the management of depression and anxiety. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 2016:12 541–557
- Furtado M, Katzman MA. Highlighting inflammatory markers in anxiety disorders.
- Katzman MA, Bilkey T, Chokka P, Fallu A, Klassen LJ. Letter to the Editor: Re:Paris J, et al. Perspective: Is Adult Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Being Overdiagnosed? Can J Psychiatry 2015;60(7):324-328.
- Ristevska I, Armata RS, D’Ambrosio C, Furtado M, Anand L, Katzman MA. Xerostomia: Understanding the diagnosis and treatment of dry mouth. Journal of Family Medicine and Disease Prevention. 2015;1:2.
- Furtado M, Katzman MA. Examining the Role of Neuroinflammation in Major Depression. Psychiatry Research. 2015, 229:27-36.
- Furtado M, Katzman MA. Neuroinflammatory pathways in anxiety, posttraumatic stress, and obsessive compulsive disorders. Psychiatry Research. 2015, 229:37-48.
- Logan AC, Katzman MA, Balanzá-Martínez V. Natural environments, ancestral diets and microbial ecology: is there a modern "paleo- deficit disorder"? Part I. Journal of Physiological Anthropology. 2015, 34(1):1.
- Logan AC, Katzman MA, Balanzá-Martínez V. Natural environments, ancestral diets and microbial ecology: is there a modern "paleo- deficit disorder"? Part II. Journal of Physiological Anthropology. 2015, 34(1): 9.
- Katzman MA, Furtado M, Copeland A, Tsirgielis D, D’Ambrosio C, Epstein I. A Review of the Current Clinical Use of Quetiapine and Extended Release Quetiapine in the Management of the Anxiety and Related Disorders. Current Psychopharmacology 2014, 3 (2):113-125.
- Katzman MA. Managing major depressive disorder through the use of adjunct therapies. Psychiatry Research, 2014, 220 (Suppl 1), S1-2.
- Katzman MA, Anand L, Furtado M, Chokka P. Food for thought: Improving management algorithms for major depressive disorder. Psychiatry Research, 2014, 220 (Suppl 1), S3-14.
- Epstein I, Szpindel I, Katzman MA. Pharmacological Approaches to Manage Persistent Symptoms of Major Depressive Disorder: Rationale and Therapeutic Strategies. Psychiatry Research, 2014, 220 (Suppl 1), S15-33.
- Katzman MA, Bleau P, Blier P, Chokka P, Kjernisted K, Van Ameringen M for the Canadian Anxiety Guidelines Initiative Group. Canadian clinical practice guidelines for the management of anxiety, post-traumatic stress, and obsessive-compulsive disorders. BMC Psychiatry. 2014, 14(Suppl 1):S1.
- Katzman MA, Furtado M, Anand L. Acne as a possible adverse effect of duloxetine. Bulletin of Clinical Psychopharmacology 2014, 24(4): 408-410.
- Katzman MA, Sternat T. A review of Concerta (OROS MPH) CNS Drugs. 2014 Nov;28(11):1005-33. doi: 10.1007/s40263-014-0175-1.DOI 10.1007/s40263-014-0175-1
- Katzman MA, Pawluk EJ, Tsirgielis D, Anand L, Furtado M, Iorio C. Beyond chronic pain: how best to treat psychological comorbidities. Journal of Family Practice. 2014, 63(5), 260-264.
- Sternat T, Lodzinski A, Katzman MA. Hedonic tone: A bridge between the psychobiology of depression and its comorbidities. J Depress Anxiety 2014: 3 (1): 1-8.
- Carter J, Gerbarg PL, Brown RP, Ware RS, D’Ambrosio C, Anand L, Dirlea M, Vermani M, Katzman MA. Multi-component Yoga Breath Program for Vietnam veteran Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: randomized controlled trial. J Trauma Stress Disor Treat 2013: 2(3): 1-10.
- Khamba B, Aucoin M, Lytle M, Vermani M, Maldonado A, Iorio C, Cameron C, Tsirgielis D, D’Ambrosio C, Anand L, Katzman M. Efficacy of acupuncture treatment of sexual dysfunction secondary to antidepressants. J Altern Complement Med. 2013 Jun 21.
- Katzman MA, D'Ambrosio C, Carwana R. Worsening tics as a possible side effect of memantine. Family Med Medical Sci Res 2013: 2(1): 1000105.
- Klassen LJ, Bilkey TS, Katzman M, Chokka P. Comorbid attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and substance use disorder: Treatment considerations. Curr Drug Abuse Rev 2012 May 8Curr Drug Abuse Rev. 2012 Sep;5(3):190-8
- Katzman MA, Vermani M, Gerbarg PL, Brown RP, Iorio C, Davis M, Cameron C, Tsirgielis D. A multicomponent yoga-based, breath intervention program as an adjunctive treatment in patients suffering from generalized anxiety disorder with or without comorbidities. Int J Yoga 2012;5(1):57-65.
- Khamba BK, Katzman MA, Aucoin M, Tsirgielis D, Copeland A, Vermani M, Cameron C, Szpindel I, Laidlaw B, Epstein I. Effectiveness of Vitamin D in the treatment of mood disorders: A literature review. JOM 2011:26;125-133.
- Katzman MA, Tsirgielis D. Treatment Approaches to Generalized Anxiety Disorder. CML – Psychiatry 2011;22:37-56.
- Marcus M, Westra HA, Katzman MA, Vermani M. Patient Predictors of Detection of Depression and Anxiety Disorders in Primary Care. Journal of Participatory Medicine, 2011; 3(15).
- Szpindel I, McIntyre I, Copeland A, Tsirgielis D, Epstein I, Vermani M, Cameron C, Khamba B, Gorsky K Katzman MA. Usage Trends of ADHD medication by bipolar patients with attentional deficits 3Rd International Congress of ADHD. ADHD Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders Journal. June 2011; 3 (2), p. 156.
- Katzman MA, Brawman-Mintzer O, Reyes EB, Olausson B, Liu S, Eriksson H. Extended release quetiapine fumarate (quetiapine XR) monotherapy as maintenance treatment for generalized anxiety disorder: a long-term, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2011 Jan;26(1):11-24.
- Katzman MA, Copeland A, Mintzer O, Klassen L, Chokka P. Pharmacotherapy for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Psychiatr Ann. 2011 February; 41(2):95-103
- Katzman MA, Tsirgielis D. Review of “Reboxetine for acute treatment of major depression: Systematic review and meta-analysis of published and unpublished placebo and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor controlled trials”. Evid Based Mental Health, 2011.
- Kennedy CE, Moore PJ, Peterson RA, Katzman MA, Vermani M, Charmak WD. Whatmakespeopleanxiousaboutpain?Howpersonality and perceptioncombine to determinepainanxietyresponses in clinical and non-clinicalpopulations. Anxiety, Stress & Coping, 2011; 24(2) 179 – 200.
- Katzman MA. Aripiprazole: A clinical review of its use for the treatment of anxiety disorders and anxiety as a comorbidity in mental illness. Journal of Affective Disorders, 2011; 128S1, S11-S20.
- Vermani M, Marcus M, Katzman MA. Rates of Detection of the Mood and Anxiety Disorders in Primary Care. Primary Care Companion for CNS Disorders 2011;13:e1-e10.
- Katzman MA,Tsirgielis D. Review of Generalized Anxiety Disorder Across the Lifespan: An Integrative Approach by Michael E. Portman Book Review. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2010, 55(7), 473-474.
- Stein D, Kalali A, Bandelow B, Katzman MA, Oluasson B, Eriksson H. Efficacy of extended release quetiapine fumarate monotherapy in patients with generalised anxiety disorder: Results from 5 placebo-controlled trials. The International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology 2010, 13:118-119.
- Klassen LJ,Katzman MA, Chokka P. Adult ADHD and its comorbidities, with a focus on bipolar disorder. J Affect Disord. 2010 Jul;124(1-2):1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2009.06.036.
- Katzman MA. Current considerations in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. CNS Drugs 2009; 23: 103-120.
- Moore PJ, Chung E, Peterson RA, Katzman MA, Vermani M. Information integration and emotion: How do anxiety sensitivity and expectancy combine to determine social anxiety? Emotion and Cognition, 2009; 23: 42-68.
- Katzman MA, Vermani M, Jacobs L, Marcus M, Kong B, Lessard S, Galarraga W, Struzik L, & Gendron A. Quetiapine as an adjunctive pharmacotherapy for the treatment of non-remitting generalized anxiety disorder: A flexible-dose, open-label pilot trial. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 2008; 22: 1480-1486.
- Rao A, Bested AC, Beaulne TM, Katzman M, Iorio C & Logan AC. A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study of a Probiotic in Emotional Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Gut Pathogens, 2009; 1(1):6.
- Ross B, Katzman MA. Stability of methylnicotinate in aqueous solution as utilized in the 'niacin patch test.' BMC Research Notes 2008, 1:89
- Vermani M, Westermeyer J, Stone M, Katzman MA, Marcus M. The PCMAD (Primary Care Mood & Anxiety Diagnoser): Noteworthy Briefs From the Field. PCMAD: A Self-Report Scale for Improved Detection of Mood and Anxiety Disorders. 2008;15 (5): 26-27.
- Katzman MA, Vermani M, Jacobs L, Marcus M, Kong B, Lessard S, Galaraga W, Struzik L. Quetiapine as an adjunctive pharmacotherapy for the treatment of non-remitting generalized anxiety disorder: a flexible-dose, open-label pilot trial. J Anxiety Disord 2008;22:1480-6
- Rosenthal J, Kong BY, Jacobs L, Katzman MA. Did a switch to a generic antidepressant cause relapse? Journal of Family Practice, 2008;57(2):109-14.
- Katzman MA, Tricco AC, McIntosh D, Filteau MJ, Bleau P, Chokka P, Kjernisted K, Mok H, Pham B. Paroxetine versus placebo and other agents for depressive disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2007;68(12):1845-1859
- Katzman M, Logan AC. Acne vulgaris: nutritional factors may be influencing psychological sequelae. Med Hypotheses. 2007;69(5):1080-4. Epub 2007 Apr 19.
- Katzman MA, Jacobs L, Marcus M, Vermani M, Logan AC. Weight gain and psychiatric treatment: Is there as role for green tea and conjugated linoleic acid? Lipids in Health and Disease 2007;6:14.
- Katzman MA, Vermani M, Jacobs L, Marcus M, Kong B, Lessard S, Galaraga W, Struzik L, Gendron A. A flexible dose, open-label trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of quetiapine (Seroquel (R) as adjunctive pharmacotherapy for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder.Depression and Anxiety. Conference Abstract.
- Katzman MA, Jacobs L. Venlafaxine in Panic Disorder. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 2007; (3)1 59-67.
- Rosenthal, J., Jacobs, L., Marcus, M., &Katzman MA.Beyond shy: When to suspect social anxiety disorder. Journal of Family Practice 2007; 55:5:369-374.
- Canadian Anxiety Disorder Treatment Guidelines Initiative Steering Committee, Swinson RP, Antony MM, Bleau P Chokka M, Fallu A, Katzman MA, Kjeristed K, Lanius R, Manassis K, McIntosh D, Plamondon J, Rabheru K, Van Amerigen M, Walker J R. Canadian Guidelines for the Management of Anxiety Disorders. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. Vol 51 ; Number 8 Supplement 2. July 2006
- Jacobs L, Marcus M, Rosenthal J, Katzman MA.Practical Tips: On Nocturnal Panic. Canadian Psychiatry Aujourd’hui.Aug 2005 Volume 1, No. 4
- Chung E, Moore PJ, Peterson RA, Katzman MA, Vermani M. Psychosocial determinants of pain anxiety in laboratory and field settings: The integration of disposition and expectancy. Journal of Basic and Applied Social Psychology. 2005. 27, 317-327.
- Katzman MA, Struzik L, Vivian LL, Vermani M, McBride J. Pharmacotherapy of post-traumatic stress disorder: a family pactitioner’s guide to management of the disease. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 5 (1): 129-139, 2005.
- Vermani M, Milosevic I, Smith F, Katzman MA. Herbs for mental illness: effectiveness and interaction with conventional medicines. J Fam Pract. 2005 Sep;54(9):789-800.
- Logan AC, Katzman MA. Major Depressive Disorder: Probiotics May Be an Adjuvant Therapy. Medical Hypotheses 2005; 64 533-538.
- Struzik L, Vermani M, Duffin J and Katzman MA.Anxiety sensitivity as predictor of panic attacks.Psychiatry Research 129 (3): 273-278, December 2004
- Katzman MA, Koszycki D, Bradwejn J. Effects of CCK-Tetrapeptide in patients with social phobia and obsessive compulsive disorder. Anxiety and Depression. 20: 51-58, 2004.
- Katzman MA.Venlafaxine in the Treatment of anxiety disorders.Expert Rev. Neurotherapeutics. 4(3): 371-381, 2004.
- Struzik L, Vermani M, Coonerty-Femiano A, Katzman MA. A Review of Treatments for Generialized Anxiety Disorder. Expert Rev. Neurotherapeutics. 4 (2): 285-294, 2004.
- Svihra M and Katzman MA. Behavioral Inhibition: understanding the origins of anxiety and a potential gateway to their prevention. Pediatrics and Child Health2004. 9 (8): 547-550.
- Spence DW, Kayumov L, Chen A, Lowe A, Jain U, Katzman MA, Shen J, Perelman B, and Shapiro C.Acupuncture increases nocturnal melatonin secretion and reduces insomnia and anxiety. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2004 Winter;16(1):19-28.
- McIntyre R, Katzman MA.The Role of Atypical Antipsychotics in Bipolar Depression and Anxiety disorders. (2003) Bipolar Disorder: 5 (suppl 2): 1-16.
- Katzman M. Cornacchi S. Coonerty-Femiano A. Hughes B. Vermani M. Struzik L. Ross BM. Methyl nicotinate-induced vasodilation in generalized social phobia. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2003;28(10): 1846-51.
- Katzman MA, Struzik LM, Vijay N, Coonerty-Femiano A, Mahamed S, Duffin J. Central and peripheral chemoreflexes in panic disorder patients and healthy volunteers. Psychiatric Research Volume 2002; Vol 113, 1-2. pp 181-192.
- Struzik L, Duffin J, Vermani M, Hegadoren K, Katzman MA. Effects of Tryptophan Depletion on Central and Peripheral Chemoreflexes in Man. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology. vol 133/3 pp 183-195, Nov 19, 2002.
- Katzman MA, Duffin J, Shlik J, Bradwejn J. The ventilatory response to cholecystokinin tetrapeptide in healthy volunteers. (2002). Neuropsychopharmacology 2002: 26 (6) 824-831.
- Javanmard M, Rossi M, Katzman M, Personality and Psychological Correlates of Dysfunctional Behavior in Medical Students. Canadian Association of Medical Education. The Newsletter of the Canadian Association for Medical Education. 2000: 11(3).
- Levitan R, Jain U, Katzman MA. “Seasonal depression in adults with residual attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): A preliminary report.”Comprehensive Psychiatry. 1999: 40(4), 1-8.
- Depot M, Caille G, Mukherjee J, Katzman MA, Cadieux A, Bradwejn J. “Acute and chronic role of 5-HT3 neuronal system on behavioural and neuroendocrine changes induced by intravenous cholecystokinin tetrapeptide in humans.” Neuropsychopharmacology. 1999: 20(2), 177-87.
- Fu C, Katzman MA, Goldbloom DS. “Valproate/nortriptyline interaction.” Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 1994; 14:205.
- Katzman MA, Meade W, Iglar K, Rachlis A, Berger P, Chan CK. “High incidence ofbronchospasm with regular administration of aerosolized pentamidine.” Chest. 1992:101, 9-81.
- Iglar KT, Katzman MA, et al. An investigation into the acute pulmonary toxicity of aerosolized pentamidine in HIV - seropositive patients. Chest. 1990:98, 907-910.
- Katzman MA, Beaton GH. The effect of varying C.V. of bioavailability on requirement for iron intake of and risk. The Co-ordinating Committee of Food Consumption Surveys of the Sub-Committee for Dietary Evaluation, U.S. National Science Committee. 1994.