Professor of Clinical NeuropsychologyDepartment of Neuroscience
University of Sheffield
Phone: +44 (0) 114 271 3430
1979-1985: Medical School at the University of Modena, Italy.
1985-1990: Psychology School (Clinical Psychology) at the University of Padua, Italy.
1990-1991: Post-graduate Course in Clinical Neuropsychology and Psychophysiology at the University of Padua, Italy.
1994-1999: PhD (PT), University of Aberdeen, UK.
Annalena Venneri is Professor of Clinical Neuropsychology at the University of Sheffield and Honorary Consultant at Sheffield Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. From 2014 she is also the Scientific Director of the IRCCS Fondazione Ospedale San Camillo, a neurorehabilitation research hospital in Venice, Italy. Her research interests are in early and differential diagnosis of dementia, in the evaluation of both pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment of Alzheimer´s disease with neuroimaging techniques, and in clarifying the premorbid biological, personality and cognitive mechanisms underlying psychotic symptoms in neurodegenerative diseases. She is also interested in prevention of cognitive decline and how modifiable lifestyle factors may influence the risk of developing cognitive decline later in life. Professor Venneri has been extensively involved in the study of functional connectivity and how alterations of connectivity may be predictive of cognitive decline, using machine learning algorithms. She is a member of the editorial board of several neuroscience journals. She has published extensively in high impact neuropsychology, neurology and neuroscience journals.
Early and differential diagnosis of dementia; evaluation of both pharmacological and non pharmacological treatment of Alzheimer´s disease with neuroimaging techniques; clarifying the premorbid biological, personality and cognitive mechanisms underlying psychotic symptoms in neurodegenerative diseases, lifestyle factors and risk of cognitive decline, structural and functional connectivity patterns in neurodegeneration and utility for differential diagnosis.
- September 2003-March 2011: Full Professor, Clinical Neuroscience Centre, University of Hull (UK)
- May 2004-March 2011: Honorary Consultant, Humber Mental Health NHS Trust and Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- January 2004-December 2007: Research professor fellowship funded by the ‘RientroCervelliProgramme’), Department of Neuroscience, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
- October 1999-August 2003 - Senior lecturer, Psychology Department, University of Aberdeen (UK)
- 1996-August 2003 - Honorary Consultant, Grampian Primary Care NHS Trust and Grampian University Hospital NHS Trust, UK
- 2000-2003 - Chair of the Cognitive Neuroimaging Unit, Functional Imaging Centre, University of Aberdeen, UK
- August 1995-September 1999 - Lecturer, Department of Psychology, University of Aberdeen
- March 1994-July 1995 - Research Fellow, Department of Psychology, University of Aberdeen
- March 1990-February 1994 - Research Assistant (part-time), Department of Neurology, University of Modena, Italy,
- September 1990-June 1993 - Lecturer in Psychology, School of Nursing, Modena, Italy,
- January 1991-December 1993 – Clinical Assistant (part-time), Dementia out-patient clinic, Department of Neurology, University of Parma, Italy
- Venneri A, Mitolo M, De Marco M. The network substrate of confabulatory tendencies in Alzheimer's disease. Cortex. 2016 Sep 13.
- Kiper P, Szczudlik A, Venneri A, Stozek J, Luque-Moreno C, Opara J, Baba A, Agostini M, Turolla A. Computational models and motor learning paradigms: Could they provide insights for neuroplasticity after stroke? An overview. J Neurol Sci. 2016 Oct 15;369:141-8.
- Alzahrani H, Antonini A, Venneri A. Apathy in Mild Parkinson's Disease: Neuropsychological and Neuroimaging Evidence. J Parkinsons Dis. 2016 Aug 20.
- Gardini S, Venneri A, McGeown WJ, Toraci C, Nocetti L, Porro CA, Caffarra P. Brain Activation Patterns Characterizing Different Phases of Motor Action: Execution, Choice and Ideation. Brain Topogr. 2016 Sep;29(5):679-92.
- De Marco M, Meneghello F, Duzzi D, Rigon J, Pilosio C, Venneri A. Cognitive stimulation of the default-mode network modulates functional connectivity in healthy aging. Brain Res Bull. 2016 Mar;121:26-41.
- Venneri A, Mitolo M, De Marco M. Paradigm shift: semantic memory decline as a biomarker of preclinical Alzheimer's disease. Biomark Med. 2016;10(1):5-8.
- Bellucci A, Mercuri NB, Venneri A, Faustini G, Longhena F, Pizzi M, Missale C, Spano P. Parkinson's disease: from synaptic loss to connectome dysfunction. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2016 Feb;42(1):77-94.
- Di Marco LY, Venneri A, Farkas E, Evans PC, Marzo A, Frangi AF. Vascular dysfunction in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease--A review of endothelium-mediated mechanisms and ensuing vicious circles. Neurobiol Dis. 2015 Oct;82:593-606.
- Beltrachini L, De Marco M, Taylor ZA, Lotjonen J, Frangi AF, Venneri A. Integration of Cognitive Tests and Resting State fMRI for the Individual Identification of Mild Cognitive Impairment. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2015;12(6):592-603.
- Benavides-Varela S, Burgio F, Meneghello F, De Marco M, Arcara G, Rigon J, Pilosio C, Butterworth B, Venneri A, Semenza C. Anatomical substrates and neurocognitive predictors of daily numerical abilities in mild cognitive impairment. Cortex. 2015 Oct;71:58-67.
- Alzahrani H, Venneri A. Cognitive and neuroanatomical correlates of neuropsychiatric symptoms in Parkinson's disease: A systematic review. J Neurol Sci. 2015 Sep 15;356(1-2):32-44.
- De Marco M, Merico A, Berta G, Segato N, Citton V, Baglione A, Venneri A. Morphometric correlates of dysarthric deficit in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2015;16(7-8):464-72.
- Elsey C, Drew P, Jones D, Blackburn D, Wakefield S, Harkness K, Venneri A, Reuber M.
- Towards diagnostic conversational profiles of patients presenting with dementia or functional memory disorders to memory clinics. Patient Educ Couns. 2015 Sep;98(9):1071-7.
- De Marco M, Venneri A. 'O' blood type is associated with larger grey-matter volumes in the cerebellum. Brain Res Bull. 2015 Jul;116:1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.brainresbull.2015.05.005.
- Mitolo M, Venneri A, Wilkinson ID, Sharrack B. Cognitive rehabilitation in multiple sclerosis: A systematic review. J Neurol Sci. 2015 Jul 15;354(1-2):1-9.
- Mitolo M, Gardini S, Caffarra P, Ronconi L, Venneri A, Pazzaglia F. Relationship between spatial ability, visuospatial working memory and self-assessed spatial orientation ability: a study in older adults. Cogn Process. 2015 May;16(2):165-76.
- Di Marco LY, Farkas E, Martin C, Venneri A, Frangi AF. Is Vasomotion in Cerebral Arteries Impaired in Alzheimer's Disease? J Alzheimers Dis. 2015;46(1):35-53.
- Agostini M, Moja L, Banzi R, Pistotti V, Tonin P, Venneri A, Turolla A. Telerehabilitation and recovery of motor function: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Telemed Telecare. 2015 Jun;21(4):202-13.
- McGeown WJ, Mazzoni G, Vannucci M, Venneri A. Structural and functional correlates of hypnotic depth and suggestibility. Psychiatry Res. 2015 Feb 28;231(2):151-9.
- Gardini S, Venneri A, Sambataro F, Cuetos F, Fasano F, Marchi M, Crisi G, Caffarra P. Increased functional connectivity in the default mode network in mild cognitive impairment: a maladaptive compensatory mechanism associated with poor semantic memory performance. J Alzheimers Dis. 2015;45(2):457-70.