Associate Professor of Pharmacy
University of Saskatchewan
- 2011- 2012, MBA, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
- 2003-2007, Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland. St. John’s, NL
- 2001-2003, Masters of Science in Pharmacy, Memorial University of Newfoundland. St. John’s, NL
- 1992-1997, Bachelor in Pharmacy, Tishreen University. Lattakia, Syria
Dr. El-Aneed is currently an Associate Professor at the College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, University of Saskatchewan. He obtained his B.Sc. in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry in 1997 from Tishreen University, Syria. He then completed a M.Sc. in 2003 in Pharmaceutics and Ph.D. in 2007 in Biochemistry from Memorial University of Newfoundland. He was awarded the Governor General Gold medal for his Ph.D. thesis. He worked as Pharmacy Research Specialist at the Newfoundland and Labrador Center for Health Information 2006-2007 and joined the University of Saskatchewan in January 2008. In 2012, he completed an MBA degree from the University of Saskatchewan. His main area of research is focused on the use of different mass spectrometry platforms for the qualitative and quantitative analysis of small organic compounds, with recent emphasis on lipid-based drug delivery systems, pharmaceuticals, and metabolites. His funding sources are NSERC (Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada), SHRF (Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation) and CFI (Canada Foundation for Innovation). He is currently the co-chair of the Saskatchewan Mass Spectrometry User Group.
- Analytical mass spectrometry including tandem mass spectrometry using various ionization methods
- Developing qualitative and quantitative mass spectrometric-based analytical methods with current focus on lipid-based drug carriers and urine metabolites
- Substance abuse
|Associated Professor, College of Pharmacy & Nutrition||July 2013-||University of Saskatchewan|
|Assistant Professor, College of Pharmacy & Nutrition.||January 2008-July 2013||University of Saskatchewan|
|Member, College of Graduate Studies and Research,||March 2008-|
|Member, Drug Design and Discovery Group||September 2008-|
|Pharmacy Research Specialist (Supervisor: Dr. Don MacDonald)||2006-2007||Newfoundland and Labrador Center for Health Information, St. John’s, NL|
|Planning Analyst||2005-2006||The Harris Center for Regional Policy and Development, St. John’s, NL,|
|Community Pharmacist||1997- 2000||Maroon Twayar Pharmacy, Lattakia, Syria|
Honors and Awards
- Khamis M, Adamko D, and El-Aneed A.* Mass Spectrometric Based Approaches in Urine Metabolomics and Biomarker Discovery. Mass Spectrometry Reviews. In Press. DOI: 10.1002/mas.21455. 2015
- Awad H, Das U, Dimmock J, El-Aneed A.* Establishment of Tandem Mass Spectrometric Fingerprint of Novel Antineoplastic Curcumin Analogues using Electrospray Ionization. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 29, 2015: 1307-1316.
- Michel D, Gaunt M, Arnason T, and El-Aneed A.* Development and validation of fast and simple flow injection analysis-tandem mass spectrometry (FIA-MS/MS) for the determination of metformin in dog serum. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 107, 2015: 229-235.
- Awad H, Khamis M and El-Aneed A*. Mass spectrometry, review of the basics: ionization. Applied Spectroscopy Reviews. 50 (2) 2015: 158-175.
- Buse J, Purves RW, Verrall RE, Badea I, Zhang H, Mulligan CC, Peru KM, Bailey J, Headley JV, El-Aneed A.* The Development and assessment of high-throughput mass spectrometry-based methods for the quantification of a nanoparticle drug delivery agent in cellular lysate. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 49 (11), 2014: 1171-1180.
- Awad H, Stoudemayer MJ, Usher L, Amster J, Cohen A, Das U, R. Whittal M, Dimmock J, and El-Aneed A*.The unexpected formation of [M-H]+ species during MALDI and Dopant free-APPI MS analysis of novel antineoplastic curcumin analogues. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 49 (11), 2014: 1139-1147.
- Donkuru M, Chitanda JM, Verrall RE and El-Aneed A*. Multi-stage tandem mass spectrometric analysis of novel β-cyclodextrin-substituted and novel bis-pyridinium gemini surfactants designed as nanomedical drug delivery agents. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 28 (7), 2014. 28: 757-772.
- Awad H and El-Aneed A*. Enantioselectivity of Mass Spectrometry: Challenges and Promises. Mass Spectrometry Reviews. 32 (6), 2013: 466–483.
- Lang K, Neil J, Wright J, Dell CA, Berenbaum S, and El-Aneed A.* Qualitative investigation of barriers to accessing care by people who inject drugs in Saskatoon, Canada: perspectives of service providers. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy. 2013. 8 :35 (1 October 2013)
- Buse J, Badea I, Verrall RE, and El-Aneed A.* A general liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method for the quantitative determination of diquaternary ammonium gemini surfactant drug delivery agents in mouse keratinocytes' cellular lysate. Journal of Chromatography A. 1294, 2013: 98–105.
- Lang K, El-Aneed A,* Berenbaum S, Dell CA, Wright J, Teed McKay Z. Qualitative Assessment of Crisis Services among Persons using Injection Drugs in the City of Saskatoon. Journal of Substance Use. 18, (1) 2013: 3-11.
- Mohammed-Saeid W, Michal D, El-Aneed A, Verrall R, Low N, and Badea A*. Development of lyophilized gemini surfactant-based lipoplexes: influence of lyophilization on the Structure, Activity and Stability of the Lipoplexes. Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences 15, 2012: 548-567.
- Michel, D, Chitanda, J, Balogh R, Singh J, Das U, El-Aneed A, Dimmock J, Verrall R, and Badea, I. Design and evaluation of cyclodextrin-based delivery systems to incorporate poorly soluble curcumin analogs for the treatment of melanoma. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 81, 2012: 548-556.
- Mohammed-Saeid W, Buse J, Badea I, Verrall RE, and El-Aneed A*. Mass spectrometric analysis of amino acid/di-peptide modified gemini surfactants used as gene delivery agents: Establishment of a universal mass spectrometric fingerprint. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 309, 2012: 182-191.
- Buse J, Badea I, Verrall RE, and El-Aneed A*. Tandem mass spectrometric analysis of novel diquaternary ammonium gemini surfactants and their bromide adducts in electrospray-positive ion mode ionization. Journal of Mass Spectrometry. 49 (10), 2011: 1060-70.
- Buse J, Badea I, Verrall RE, and El-Aneed A*. Tandem Mass Spectrometric Analysis of the Novel Gemini Surfactant Nanoparticle Families G12-s and G18:1-s. Spectroscopy Letters. 29, (6), 2010: 447-457.
- Buse J and El-Aneed A*. Properties, Engineering and Applications of Lipid-based Nanoparticle Drug Delivery Systems: Current Research and Advances. Nanomedicine. 5 (8), 2010: 1237-1260.
- Banoub J,* El-Aneed A, Cohen A, and Joly N. Structural Investigation of Bacterial Lipopolysaccharides by Mass Spectrometry and Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Mass Spectrometry Reviews. 29 (4), 2010: 606-650.
- El-Aneed A*, Cohen A, and Banoub J. mass spectrometry, review of the basics: electrospray, MALDI, and commonly used mass analyzers. Applied Spectroscopy Reviews. 44 (3),2009: 210–230.
- El-Aneed A*, Alaghehbandan R, Gladeny N, MacDonald D and Fischer B. Prescription Drug Abuse and Methods of Diversion: The Potential Role of a Pharmacy Network. Journal of Substance Use. 14(2), 2009: 75–83.
- El-Aneed A, Banoub J*, Boullanger P, Lafont D and Koen-Alonso M. Establishment of mass spectrometric fingerprints of novel synthetic cholesteryl neoglycolipids: the presence of a unique C-Glycoside species during electrospray ionization and during collision induced dissociation tandem mass spectrometry. J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 18(2), 2007: 294-310.
- El-Aneed A*, and Banoub J. Basics of Diagnostic DNA Microarray Technology. Case study: Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Cancer Genomics & Proteomics. 3 (5), 2006: 311-316.
- El-Aneed A*, and Banoub J. Proteomics in the Diagnosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma within High Risk Hepatitis B and C Patients. Anticancer Research. 26 (5A), 2006: 3293-3300.
- Joly N, El-Aneed A, Martin P, Cecchelli R, and Banoub J*. Structural determination of the novel fragmentation routes of morphine opiate receptor antagonists using electrospray ionization quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom.19(21), 2005: 3119-30.
- El-Aneed A, and Banoub J*. Elucidation of the molecular structure of Lipid A isolated from both a rough mutant and a wild strain of lipopolysaccharide Aeromonas salmonicida using electrospray ionization quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Comm. Mass Spectrom. 19(12), 2005:1683-95.
- Banoub J*, Boullanger P, Lafont D, Cohen A, El-Aneed A, and Rowlands E. In situ formation of C-glycosides during electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry of a series of synthetic amphiphilic cholesteryl polyethoxy neoglycolipids containing N-acetyl-D-glucosamine. J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 16(4), 2005: 565-70.
- Banoub J*, El-Aneed A, Cohen A, and Martin P. Characterization of the O-4 phosphorylated and O-5 substituted Kdo reducing end group and sequencing of the core oligosaccharide of Aeromonas salmonicida ssp salmonicida lipopolysaccharide using tandem mass spectrometry. European J. Mass spectrom. 10(5), 2004:715-30.
- Banoub J*, Cohen A, El-Aneed A, LeQuart V, and Martin P. Structural Reinvestigation of The Core Oligosaccharide of Mutant Form of Aeromanas Salmonicida Lipopolysaccharide Containing O-5 Phosphorlated O-4 Substituted Kdo Reducing End Group By Electrospray Q-TOF-MS/MS. Europ. J. of Mass spectrom. 10(4), 2004:541-54.
- El-Aneed A*. Current Strategies in Cancer Gene Therapy. Europ. J. Pharmaco. 498 (1 3), 2004:1-8.
- El-Aneed A*. An Overview of Current Delivery Systems in Cancer Gene Therapy. J. Control. Release. January 8, 94 (1), 2004: 1-14.
- El-Aneed A*. Targeted Cationic Liposomes, Technologies, and Developments. Pharmaceutical Technology. December 2, 27 (12), 2003: 58-63.