Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Wayne State University
Detroit, Michigan, USA
|DEGREE||Year||Field of Study||Institution and Location|
|MS||2012||Biostatistics||University of Iowa|
|PhD||2010||Speech and Hearing Science||University of Iowa|
|MS||2003||Audiology & Otolaryngology||Sichuan University
Audio China Project with Dalhousie University in Canada
Dr. Ou's research interests are in amplification and spatial hearing. The focus of her current research is on the investigation of factors that impact hearing device use success. The other is on self-reported spatial hearing ability for adults using hearing aids and/or cochlear implants.
Positions and Honors
|2016||Poster Award for Excellence in Implantable Hearing Devices at
American Academy of Audiology Annual Convention
|2015||ASHA’s Academic-Research Careers (AARC) Award|
|2013||ASHA Editors’ Award for the American Journal of Audiology|
|2008||Dissertation Summer Fellowship of the University of Iowa|
|2007||Minority Student Leadership Award of American Speech and Hearing Association|
|2006||2006 Mentored Student Award of the American Auditory Society conference|
|2004||Student Award of the International Hearing Aid Research Conference|
|2001-2003||Guang Hua Scholarship of Sichuan University for Outstanding Graduate Student|
|1998||Outstanding Graduate Fellow of West China University of Medical Sciences|
|1997||Excellent Undergraduate Student Scholarship of West China University of Medical Sciences|
|1996||International Health Exchange Center Ministry of Health P.R. China Scholarship for Outstanding Undergraduate Student|
- Ou, H., Perreau, A., & Tyler, R. (Submitted). Development of a Shortened Version of the Spatial Hearing Questionnaire (SHQ-S) for Screening Spatial Hearing Ability. American Journal of Audiology.
- Ou, H., & Kim, E. (In revision). Comparisons across Short Versions of the Speech, Spatial, and Qualities of Hearing Questionnaire: SSQ5 or SSQ12? American Journal of Audiology.
- Skaggs, M., & Ou, H. (2017). Audiology Services for PSAP Users. The Hearing Journal.70:26-28
- Sawyer, J., Matteson, C., Ou, H., & Nagase, T. (2017). The effects of parent-focused slow relaxed speech intervention on speech rate, response time latency, and fluency in preschool children who stutter. Journal of Speech, Hearing, and Language Research. [advance online publication]:1-16
- Ou, H., Wen, B., Perreau, A., Kim, E., & Tyler, R. (2016). Validation of the Chinese Translation of the Spatial Hearing Questionnaire and Its Short Form. American Journal of Audiology. 25:25-33
- Ou, H., Bentler, R.A., & Goodman, S.S. (2015). The Effect on Localization of Frequency-Specific Gain Reduction Schemes When Matched and Mismatched Across Ears. International Journal of Audiology.4:1-9
- Perreau, A., Ou, H., Tyler, R., & Dunn, C. (2014). Perceived Benefit across Different Cochlear Implant Profiles as Measured With the Spatial Hearing Questionnaire. American Journal of Audiology. 23:374-84
- Perreau, A., Spejcher, B., Ou, H., & Tyler, R. (2014). The Spatial Hearing Questionnaire: Data from normal hearing individuals. American Journal of Audiology. 23:173-81
- Walker, E., Spratford, M., Moeller, M.P., Oleson, J., Ou, H., Roush, P., & Jacobs, S. (2013). Predictors of hearing aid use in children with hearing loss. Language, Speech, Hua Ou, Illinois State University Page 3 and Hearing Services in Schools. 44:73-88
- Holte, L., Walker, E., Oleson, J., Spratford, M., Moeller, M.P., Roush, P., Ou, H. & Tomblin, J.B. (2012). Factors influencing follow-up to Newborn Hearing Screening for infants who are hard-of-hearing. American Journal of Audiology. 21:163-74
- Ou, H., Dunn, C. C., Bentler, R. A., & Zhang, X. Y. (2008). Measuring Cochlear Implant Satisfaction in Postlingually Deafened Adults with the SADL inventory. The Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 19:721-34
- Ou, H. & Dunn, C.C. (2008). New Methodologies for Determining if Two Cochlear Implants are Necessary. http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/article_detail.asp?article_id=2113
- Ou, H., Liang, C. Y., & Jiang, T. (2001).The evaluation and practice of AABR on universal newborn hearing screening (Review). Journal of Audiology and Speech Pathology, 9, Suppl, 59-61
- Ou. H. & Zhou, X. N (2000). Expression of Glycoconjugate in Human Eustachian Tubes with Otitis Media (Translation from Laryngoscope Vol.10, 1999). Foreign Medical Sciences- Otolaryngology, 24(3), 171-172
- Ou, H., Perreau, A., & Tyler, R. Development of a Shortened Version of the Spatial Hearing Questionnaire (SHQ-S) for Screening Spatial Hearing Ability. The American Academy of Audiology annual meeting, Indianapolis, IN, April 2017.
- Perreau, A., Ou, H., & Tyler, R. Subjective Assessment of Spatial Hearing Ability. The 23rd ILAA Annual Convention, Chicago, IL, January 2016.
- Ou, H. Evidence-Based Practice in Amplification. Iowa Speech and Hearing Association Annual meeting, Des Moines, IA, October 2015. (Invited)
- Sawyer, J., Matteson, C., & Ou, H. Effects of Parent-Focused Intervention on Articulation Rate, Response-Time Latency, & Stuttering in Preschool Children. American Speech and Hearing Association Annual meeting, Denver, CO, November 2015.
- Ou, H., Jones, M., & Tyler, R.S. Bilateral or Unilateral Cochlear Implants: Propensity Score-Matched Analysis. The American Auditory Society annual meeting, Scottsdale, AZ, March 2014.
- Perreau, A., Ou, H., Tyler, R.S., & Dunn, C. Perceived Benefit across Different Cochlear Implant Profiles. The American Auditory Society annual meeting, Scottsdale, AZ, March 2014.