Professor of Marine Science
Techno India University
Email id: email@example.com
|Degree||Institution and Location|
|PhD||University of Calcutta, India|
|MSc||University of Calcutta, India|
Dr. Abhijit Mitra, Associate Professor and former Head, Dept. of Marine Science, University of Calcutta (INDIA) has been active in the sphere of Oceanography since 1985. He obtained his PhD as NET qualified scholar in 1994. Since then he joined Calcutta Port Trust and WWF (World Wide Fund), in various capacities to carry out research programmes on environmental science, biodiversity conservation, climate change and carbon sequestration. Presently he is serving as the advisor of Oceanography Division of Techno India University, Kolkata. He has to his credit about 430 scientific publications in various National and International journals, and 35 books of postgraduate standards. He is presently the member of several committees like PACON International, IUCN, SIOS etc. and has successfully completed about 16 projects on biodiversity loss in fishery sector, coastal pollution, alternative livelihood, climate change and carbon sequestration. He also visited as faculty member and invited speakers in several foreign Universities of Singapore, Kenya, Oman and USA. In 2008, He was invited as visiting fellow at University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, USA to deliver a series of lecture on Climate Change. He also successfully guided 32 PhD students. Presently his domain of expertise includes environmental science, mangrove ecology, sustainable aquaculture, alternative livelihood, climate change and carbon sequestration.
- Climate Change
- Coastal Ecology
- Mangrove Biodiversity
- Carbon Sequestration
|Teaching experience at post graduate level as permanent Faculty in Marine Science, University of Calcutta||1998 – till date|
|Guest Faculty in Environmental Science, University of Calcutta||2005 – 2009|
|Counselor (during 2009-10) in Environmental Science program under Directorate of Open & Distance Learning, University of Kalyani, West Bengal||2009-2010|
|Visiting Faculty in the Department of Biodiversity and Conservation of Natural Resources at Central University of Orissa, Koraput||2012.|
- Mitra, Abhijit; Banerjee, Kakoli; and Subhosmitha Sinha. Shrimp tissue quality in the lower Gangetic delta at the apex ofBay of Bengal. Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry, 2011, Vol. 93 (3), pp. 565 – 574.
- Mitra, Abhijit; Sengupta, Kasturi and Kakoli Banerjee. Standing biomass and carbon storage of above-ground structures in dominant mangrove trees in the Sundarbans. Forest Ecology and Management, 2011, Vol. 261(7), pp. 1325 -1335.
- Mitra, Abhijit; Halder, Piu and Kakoli Banerjee. Changes of selected hydrological parameters inHooghlyestuary in response to a severe tropical cyclone (Aila). Indian Journal of Geo Marine Sciences, 2011, Vol. 40(1), pp. 32- 36.
- Mitra, Abhijit; Banerjee, Kakoli and Kasturi Sengupta. Impact of AILA, a tropical cyclone on salinity, pH and dissolved oxygen of an aquatic sub-system of Indian Sundarbans.National Academyof ScienceLetters,India, 2011, Vol. 81 (Part II), pp. 198 - 205.
- Barua, Prabal; Mitra, Abhijit; Banerjee, Kakoli and M. Shah Nawaz Chowdhury. Seasonal variation of heavy metals accumulation in water and oyster (Saccostrea cucullata) inhabiting central and western sector of Indian Sundarbans. Environmental Research Journal, 2011, Vol. 5 (3), pp. 121-130.
- Mitra, Abhijit; and Kakoli Banerjee. Trace elements in edible shellfish species from the lower Gangetic delta. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2011, Vol. 74, pp. 1512-1517.
- Mitra, Abhijit; Mondol, Kunal and Kakoli Banerjee. Spatial and tidal variations of physico-chemical parameters in the lower Gangetic delta region, WestBengal,India. Journal of Spatial Hydrology, 2011, Vol. 11 (1), pp. 62 -69.
- Mitra, Abhijit; Choudhury, Ranju and Kakoli Banerjee. Concentrations of some heavy metals in commercially important finfish and shellfish of the RiverGanga. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 2012, Vol. 184, pp. 2219 - 2230.
- Raha Atanu Kumar; Banerjee, Kakoli; Das, Susmita and Abhijit Mitra. Influence of suspended solid on in situ and ex situ chlorophyll a: a case study of Indian Sundarbans. Indian Journal of Geo Marine Sciences, 2012, (accepted).
- Raha, Atanu; Das, Susmita; Banerjee, Kakoli and Abhijit Mitra. Climate change impacts on Indian Sunderbans: a time series analysis (1924 – 2008). Biodiversity and Conservation, 2012.
- Mitra, Abhijit; Barua, Prabal, Zaman, Sufia and Kakoli Banerjee. Analysis of trace metals in commercially important crustaceans collected from UNESCO protected World Heritage Site of Indian Sundarbans. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 2012, Vol. 12, pp. 53 - 66.
- Mitra, A; Sengupta, Kasturi and K Banerjee. Spatial and temporal trends in biomass and carbon sequestration potential of Sonneratia apetala Buch-Ham in Indian Sundarbans. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India, Section B: Biological Sciences, 2012, Vol. 82(2), pp. 317 - 323.
- Mitra, A; Banerjee, Kakoli and Saurav Sett. Spatial variation in organic carbon density of mangrove soil in Indian Sundarbans. NationalAcademyofScience Letters, 2012, Vol. 35, pp.147 - 154 (SPRINGER DOI 10.1007/s40009-012-0046-6).
- Mitra, Abhijit; Zaman, Sufia; Kanti Ray, Saumya; Sinha, Subhasmita and Kakoli Banerjee. Inter-relationship between phytoplankton cell volume and aquatic salinity in Indian Sundarbans. NationalAcademyofScience Letters, 2012.
- Mitra, Abhijit; Trivedi, Subrata; Zaman, Sufia; Pramanick, Prosenjit; Chakraborty, Shankhadeep; Pal, Nabonita; Fazli, Pardis and Kakoli Banerjee. Decadal Variation of Nutrient Level in Two Major Estuaries in the Indian Sundarbans. Jordan Journal of Biological Sciences, 2015, Vol. 8 (3), 231-236.
- Mitra, Abhijit and Roberto Cazzolla Gati. Carbon census in the mangrove ecosystem of lower Gangetic delta. Economology Journal, 2015, Vol V, 11-27.