Professor of Vision Science, Physics, ECE and System Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Phone: +1 519-888-4567 ext.38167
Mobile: +1 202-460-3995
|Degree||Year||Field of Study||Institution and Location|
|PhD||1979-1985||Optics and Vision Science||University of California, Berkeley|
|1978-1979||Chemical Physics||University of Oregon, Eugene|
|M.Sc.||1976-1978||Theoretical Physics||University of Madras, India|
|B.Sc||1973-1976||Physics, Math and Chemistry||University of Madras, India|
V. Lakshminarayanan (Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley) is currently a professor of vision science, physics, Electrical and Computer Engineering and Systems Design Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He has held visiting and faculty appointments at the universities of California at Berkeley, at Irvine, University of Missouri, the University of Michigan, Glasgow Caledonian University, Ryerson University and the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. More recently he was a GIAN professor of physics at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras in 2016 and an International Visiting Professor of Biophotonics at Università degli Studi di Brescia, Italy (2017). . He has had numerous honors, including Fellow of OSA, SPIE, AAAS, APS, IoP, etc. And the recipient of a number of awards including the Esther Hoffman Beller medal of OSA (2013), and the Optics Educator award of SPIE (2011). He was a KITP Scholar at the Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics at the University of California at Santa Barbara. He was an AAAS science and technology policy fellow finalist and serves on the optics advisory board of the Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics in Trieste, Italy (since 2003). He is a founding member of the UNESCO ALOP program. He also served as member at large of the US IUPAP committee of the NAS, the Chair of the US International Commission on Optics committee, Chair of the APS Committee on International Scientific Affairs, a member of the international advisory committee of the International Year of Light 2015, a member of the education committee of the National Photonics Initiative, a member of the Public Policy committee of the American Physical Society and has served as a director of OSA (2002-2004). He is a consultant to the ophthalmic and medical devices section of the FDA (from 2013). He is technical editor or section editor of a number of journals including Journal of Modern Optics (from 2003) and Optics Letters (from 2010-2016). More recently he finished a term as Chair of the education committee of SPIE (2015-2017), and serves on a number of NIH panels. He has authored or edited about 14 books, and over 300 publications in topics ranging from optical physics and engineering, neuroscience, bioengineering, applied math and ophthalmology/optometry.
- Classical and visual optics
- Optical system design, science and engineering
- Psychophysics/human factors
- Visual perception, visual optics math modelling
- Biomedical image processing
Professional and Academic appointments
|2016-Present||Professor of Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo|
|2015-Present||Adjunct Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto|
|2013-2016||Visiting Scholar, Dept. of Physics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor|
|2013-2014||Visiting Professor, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Univ. Michigan|
|2013-Present||Member, Academic Council, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.|
|2011-Present||Center for Bioengineering and Biotechnology, Univ. Waterloo|
|2010-2013||Associate, Michigan Center for Theoretical Physics, Ann Arbor, MI.|
|2007||Visiting professor, physics dept., Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi|
|2006-Present||Professor of vision science, physics and electrical and computer engineering, University of Waterloo|
|2005||Royal Society of Edninburgh Visiting Professor, Glasgow Caledonian University|
|2001-2005||“KITP Scholar”,Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, UC-Santa Barbara|
|1993-2006||Assistant and Associate Professor of Physics and Optometry, University of Missouri|
|1993-1994||Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Cognitive Sciences, University of California, Irvine.|
|1991-1993||Principal Clinical Research Scientist: Allergan Therapeutics, Irvine, CA|
|1986-1991||Assistant Research Scientist: School of Optometry, University of California, Berkeley|
|2017||International Visiting Professor of Biophotonics, Università degli Studi di Brescia, Italy.|
|2016||GIAN Professor, Dept. of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras|
|2016||Invited Speaker, International Year of Light closing ceremony, Merida, Mexico|
|2015||Best Paper Award, Optronix 2015, Vacouver, BC. IEEE Photonics meeting.|
|2015||Invited Speaker, Jerome Wiesner Symposium on the role of the University in Science Policy,University of Michigan|
|2015||Invited Speaker, Heritage of Ibn al Haytham and the Golden Age of Islamic Science, UNESCO.|
|2014-2013||Saturday Morning Physics Speaker, University of Michigan
Keynote speaker, ETOP, Porto, Portugal
|2013||AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship Finalist|
|2013||Visiting Lecturer, Ecole Superiore des Communication, Tunis, Tunisa|
|2013||Visiting Lecturer, Universidad de Valle, Cali, Colombia|
|2013||Esther Hoffman Beller medal, Optical Society of America|
|2012||Senior Member, IEEE|
|2011||Optics Educator Award, SPIE|
|2010||Fellow of the American Physical Society (only 1/2% of physicists are elected fellows)|
|2007||Fellow of AAAS|
|2006||Optics Medal, OSI award for distinguished contributions to Optics, Optical Society of India, biennial award.|
|2006||Optical Society of India|
|2005||Fellow of SPIE- International Society for Optical Engineering|
|1988-2014||Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry|
|1999||Fellow of the Institute of Physics, UK|
|1998||Fellow of the Optical Society of America|
- J.R Ehrlich, L.Ojeda, D.Wicker,A.Howson, V. Lakshminarayanan, S. Moroi, Head-Mounted Display Technology for Low Vision Rehabilitation and Vision Enhancement, American Journal of Ophthalmology, invited, april 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajo.2016.12.021
- H.Leopold, J.Orchard, J.Zelek, V.Lakshminarayanan, Segmentation and Feature Extraction of Retinal Vascular Morphology, Proc. SPIE 10133, Medical Imaging 2017: Image Processing, 101330V; doi:10.1117/12.2253744;
- M.J.Purcell, M.Kumar,S.Rand, V. Lakshminarayanan, Holographic imaging through a scattering medium by diffuser-aided statistical averaging, J.Opt.Soc. Am. A., 33:1291-1297 , https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.33.001291, 2016
- A.Bakroon, V. Lakshminarayanan, Visual Function in Autism Spectrum Disorders, Exp. Clin. Optometry, DOI:10.1111/cxo.12383, 2016.
- V.Lakshminarayanan & M.K. Parthasarathy, Biomimetic optics: visual systems, J. Modern Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2016.1224939, 2016.
- A.Almazroa , S.Alodhayb , E.Osman , E.Ramadan , M.Hummadi , M.Dlaim , M.Alkatee, K.Raahemifar, V. Lakshminarayanan,Agreement between ophthalmologists in marking the optic disc and optic cup in fundus images,Int. Ophthalmol., DOI 10.1007/s10792-016-0329-x 2016
- V. Lakshminarayanan, H.Ghalila, L.S.Varadharajan, A.Ammar, The role of simulations in optics education, Optics Education and Outreach IV, edited by G. Groot Gregory, Proc. of SPIE Vol. 9946, 99460N, DOI: 10.1117/12.2236159, 2016
- M. Jamshedi,H.Rabbani,Z.Amini,R.Kafieh,A.Ommani and V.Lakshminarayanan Automatic Detection of the Optic Disk of the Retina: A New Method, J. Med. Signals and Sensors, 6:57-63, 2016.
- A. Almazroa, S. Alodhayb, R. Burman, W. Sun, K. Raahemifar, V. Lakshminarayanan, Optic Cup Segmentation Based on Extracting Blood Vessel Kinks and Cup Thresholding Using type-II Fuzzy Approach, Proc. 2nd international Conference on Opto-Electronics, Vancouver, BC., IEEE Explore, DOI: 10.1109/OPTRONIX.2015.7345519 2016; Best paper award.
- A Gopalakrishnan, A.Almazroa, K.Raahemifar, V.Lakshminarayanan, Optic Disc Segmentation using Circular Hough Transform and Curve Fitting, Proc. 2nd international Conference on Opto-Electronics, Vancouver, BC., IEEE Explore, DOI: 10.1109/OPTRONIX.2015.7345530 2016.
- C. Thatiparthi, A. Ommani, R. Burman, D. Thapa, N.Hutchings and V. Lakshminarayanan, Comparison of Performance of Some Common Hartmann-Shack Centroid Estimation Methods, BIOS, Proc. SPIE. 9693, Ophthalmic Technologies XXVI, 969321. doi: 10.1117/12.2219857, 2016.
- V. Lakshminarayanan and A.C.McBride, The use of high technology in STEM education, Proc. SPIE, vol. 3793, eds. E.Cormier and L. Sargent,DOI: 10.1117/12.223062, 2015. Invited paper
- D.Thapa, R.Raahemifar, V. Lakshminaryanan, Reduction of speckle noise from Optical Coherence Tomography images using multi-frame weighted nuclear norm minimization method J. Mod. Optics, special issue on OCT. J. Modern Optics,. DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1068392, 2015.
- S. Nandy and V. Lakshminarayanan, Dark and bright soliton in nonlinear optical fiber using the decomposition method, J. Optics, DOI: 10.1007/s12596-015-0270-9, 2015.
- D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, W.Bobier, V. Lakshminarayanan, A comparative survey of super-resolution algorithms, Comp. Elec. Engineering, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2015.09.011, 2015
- S.Mohanty, V.Lakshminarayanan, Optical Techniques in Optogenetics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1010620 , Invited, Journal of Modern Optics, 2015.
- N.Sharma, V. Lakshmianrayanan, Retinal Response to Departure from Perfect Power Coupling: Implications for the Stiles Crawford Effect, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1014439, 2015.
- D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, V. Lakshminarayanan, Less is More; Compressive Sensing, invited paper, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2014.966793, 2014
- A.Ommani, D.Thapa, N.Hutchings, V. Lakshminarayanan, The impact of pupil scaling on the estimation of aberrations with natural pupils, Optom. Vision Sci., 91: 117511182, 2014
- G.Ropars, A.LeFloch, V. Lakshminarayanan, The Sunstone and polarized skylight: ancient Viking navigational tools?, Contemp. Physics, DOI: 10.1080/00107514.2014.929797,2014.
- V. Jayakumar, N.Hutchings,L. Jones, V. Lakshminarayanan, Are fluctuations in dynamic anterior surface aberrations of the human eye chaotic? Optics Letters, 38:5208-5211, 2013
- M. Viana, V. Lakshminarayanan, Symmetry studies of refraction data, J. Mod. Optics, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2013.871587, 2014.
- D.Thapa, K.Raahemifar, W.Bobier, V. Lakshminarayanan, A comparison of super-resolution algorithms applied to retinal images, J. Biomedical Optics, 19 (5), 056002 doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.19.5.056002, 2014
- V. Rajaram and V. Lakshminarayanan, Visual Attention deficits in reading disability, Opt. & Visual Performance, 1:141-148, 2013.
- V.Rajaram, V. Lakshminarayanan, A note on Image degradation, disability glare and binocular vision, J. Modern Optics, special issue on radiometry and Photometry, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2013.826390, 2013.
- A. Yildrim , A. Gokdogan, M. Merdan and V. Lakshminarayanan, Numerical Approximations to Solution of Ray tracing through the crystalline lens, Ch. Physics Letters, 29: 074202, 2012
- M.Ramamurthy, J. Hovis and V. Lakshminarayanan, Acceptability ratings for simulated image distortions of static images corresponding to different viewing angles for a flat panel display, Proceedings of CGIV, Pages 31-35, Society for Imaging Science and Technology, 2012.
- V, Lakshminarayanan, The global problem of blindness and visual dysfunction, Photonic Innovations and Solutions for Complex Environments and Systems; invited paper. Proc. SPIE 8482, 10.1117/12.928050, 2012.
- G. Ropars, A.LeFloch, J.M.Enoch, V. Lakshminarayanan, Direct naked eye detection of chiral and Faraday effects in white light, Europhysics Letters, 97: 64002 2012.
- V. Lakshminarayanan, A.Fleck, Zernike Polynomials: a guide, J. Mod. Optics, invited review, 58:545-561,2011.
Books (past 10 years)
- M. Viana and V. Lakshminarayanan, Dihedral Fourier Analysis, Springer, Heidelberg, 2013
- V. Lakshminarayanan, M.L.Calvo, T.Aliyeva, Mathematical Optics; Classical, Quantum and Computational Methods, CRC/Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, FL., 2012
- V.Sahni, V. Lakshminarayanan, D.P.Srivastava, Quantum Information Systems, McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2011
- M.Bass, C.DeCusatis, J.M.Enoch, V.Lakshminarayanan, G.Li, C.Macdonald, V.Mahajan. E.Van Stryland, Handbook of Optics, 3rd Edition, 5 volumes, McGraw Hill, NY, 2010
- M.L.Calvo and V. Lakshminarayanan, Optical Waveguides: From Theory to Applied Technologies, CRC Press, Bocal Raton, FL, 2007.
- V. Lakshminarayanan and I. Bhattacharya, Advances in Optical Sciences and Engineering, Springer, 2015.
- V. Lakshminarayanan and L.S.Varadharajan, Special Functions in Optical Science and Engineering, SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA, 2016.
- M.Viana and V. Lakshminarayanan, Symmetry in Optics and Vision Science and Vision: Diheddral Aspects, Taylor and Francis/CRC Press, 2017 (in press).
- R.Rashed, A.Boudrioua, V. Lakshminarayanan, Light Based Science: Technology and Sustainable Development, Taylor and Francis/CRC Press, May 2017.
- K. Srinivasa Rao and V. Lakshminarayanan, The Gauss Hypergeometric Equation Group Theoretical Aspects, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol, UK, In preparation, 2017.
Book Chapters (selected from the last 10 years)
- Lakshminarayanan V., Lenses and Optics of the Eye, Module 2, Active Learning in Optics and Photonics, Ed., D. Sokoloff, United Nations Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization, Paris, Pages 81-106, 2006. (translated into French, Arabic and Spanish).
- V. Lakshminarayanan, Light detection and sensitivity, Chapter 2.1.2, Handbook of Video Technology, ed. J.Chen et al, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 2012.
- V.Lakshminarayanan, D.Thapa, H.Rabbani, K.Raahemifar, Compressive Sensing, Encyclopedia of Optics, ed. T. Brown, et al., Wiley, DOI: 10.1002/9783527600441.oe1020, 2015
- V. Lakshminarayanan and M.Ramamurthy, Human Vision and Perception, Handbook of Advanced Lighting Technology, Springer, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-00295-8_46-1, 2015
- J.Bertranpetit, J.Biegert and V. Lakshminarayanan, Fast, The Wonders of Light, ed. M. Garcia-Matos and L.Torner, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, Chapter 7, 2015.
- H. Leopold, J.Zelek, V. Lakshminarayanan, Deep Learning Methods Applied to Retinal Image Analysis in Biomedical signal processing in big data, ed. E.Sejdic and T.Falk, CRC Press, in press, summer, 2017.