Associate Professor of Optometry
University of Pikeville
Pikeville, KY, USA
|Degree||Year||Field of Study||Institution and Location|
|O.D||1993||Optometry||Ohio State University, College of Optometry, Columbus OH|
|B.S||1989||Michigan State University ,Honors College, East Lansing MI|
Dr. Rogala earned his Doctorate in Optometry from the Ohio State University after graduating from Michigan State University with highest honors in the biological sciences. Before joining the faculty at the Kentucky College of Optometry, Dr. Rogala was an associate professor at Western University of the Health Sciences where he was the course leader for Diagnosis and Treatment of the Posterior Segment, Diagnosis and Treatment of the Anterior Segment and Special Procedures in Optometry as well as a major lecturer for Neurological Disease Diagnosis and Treatment.
From 2007 until joining the faculty at Western University in 2011, Dr. Rogala taught ocular pathology at the University of Auckland in New Zealand, where he was course coordinator for Diseases of the Eye and Visual System: Diagnosis and Management. During his time down under, he was also an examiner for the Optometric Council of Australia and New Zealand. Prior to that, he served as clinical faculty for the Michigan College of Optometry at Ferris State University while a member of the medical staff at a large multidisciplinary health care center.
Dr. Rogala recently spent a semester at the University of New South Wales in Australia conducting research on macular degeneration that was presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) and published in Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science.
- Macular degeneration
- Ophthalmic imaging (OCT in particular)
- Associations between systemic and ophthalmic disease
Positions and Honors
|2015 -||Associate Professor, Kentucky College of Optometry, Pikeville KY|
|2014||Visiting Academic Fellow, Centre for Eye Health, University of New South Wales School of Optometry and Vision Science, Sydney, Australia|
|2011-14||Associate Professor, Western University of Health Sciences College of Optometry, Pomona CA|
|2007-11||Professional Teaching Fellow, University of Auckland Department of Optometry and Vision Science, Auckland, New Zealand|
|2004-06||Chief Optometrist, LASIK Vision Institute, Troy MI|
|1997-03||Optometrist, Farmington Laser Eye Center, Farmington Hills MI|
|1993-96||Optometrist-Clinical Instructor, Gateway Medical Center, Michigan College of Optometry at Ferris State University (externship site), Detroit MI|
- Rogala J, Zangerl B, Assaad N, et al. In vivo quantification of retinal changes associated with drusen in age-related macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015; 56:1689–1700.
- Rogala J, Pereira A. Central serous chorioretinopathy. New Zealand Optics 2009;11:21.
- “Insights on AMD Management from the Quantitative Analysis of Retinal Structure” and “Retinal Case Conundrums” University of Waterloo School of Optometry and Vision Science, Waterloo, Canada 2015
- “Retinal Layer Thickness in Drusen and Drusen-Free Retinal Areas in Age-Related Macular Degeneration” ARVO annual meeting, Denver CO 2015
- “Clinical Diagnosis and Management of Acquired Macular Fluid” University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry, Birmingham AL 2014
- “Research Update on Age-Related Macular Degeneration” University of New South Wales, Centre for Eye Health, Sydney, Australia 2014
- “Differential Diagnosis & Management of Exudative Retinal Detachments” University of Houston College of Optometry, Houston TX 2014
- “Recent Advancements in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Exudative Retinal Disorders” Northeastern State University Oklahoma College of Optometry, Tahlequah OK 2014
- “Career Opportunities in Optometry” University of California at Los Angeles Career Center, Westwood CA 2012
- “Differential Diagnosis & Management of Bullous Retinal Lesions” Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona CA (COPE approval 29753-SD) 2010