Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology
Loma Linda University, Anderson St
Loma Linda, USA
Phone: (760) 340-2394
|Degree||Year||Field of Study||Institution and Location|
|M.D||1977 – 1980||Medical School||Loma Linda University School of Medicine Loma Linda,|
Dr. Chan was born in Hong Kong and at the age of 12 immigrated to San Francisco. After graduating from Pacific Union College (full scholarship and Magna Cum Laude), he received his medical degree from Loma Linda University (LLU), School of Medicine (full scholarship and Alpha Omega Alpha) in 1980. Following an internship at the White Memorial Medical Center in Los Angeles, he completed his ophthalmology residency at LLU. A vitreoretinal fellowship at Washington University with the Retina Consultants, Ltd. at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis was followed by a post-fellowship elective with Dr. Steve Charles in Memphis (1984-1986).
He returned as the director of vitreoretinal service for the eye department at LLU (1986-1989). In 1989 he started private practice as the founder of Southern California Desert Retina Consultants in Palm Springs, California. In 1994, he rose to the rank of associate clinical professor, and in 2016, he was promoted to full-professorship at LLU. Besides teaching eye residents, he has served as a visiting professor in skill transfer for eye providers in China via ORBIS International. in Urumqi, Chengdu, and Fuzhou, China.
He served as the vice chair of the Institutional Review Board (1993-1995) and chief of Ophthalmology (1995-2004) at Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs. He was honored with the achievement award (2004) and the senior achievement award (2007) by the ASRS, and the achievement award (2006) by the AAO. He is an active member of the Retina Society (2004), the Macula Society and Club Jules Gonin (2012). He was inducted into the American Ophthalmological Society (AOS) after the acceptance of his thesis by the AOS, entitled “Optical coherence tomographic and visual results at six months after transitioning to aflibercept for patients on prior ranibizumab or bevacizumab treatment for age-related macular degeneration”.
His original descriptions of delayed absorption of loculated subretinal fluid after pneumatic retinopexy (1989) and the controversial topic of pneumatic vitreolysis for resolving focal vitreoretinal adhesion and selected macular holes (1995) were published in Ophthalmology. Dr. Chan’s contribution with the greatest impact in ophthalmology has been his publication on the original technique of temporary haptic externalization for managing dislocated PCIOL in Ophthalmology in 1992. Variations of this technique remain popular among many ophthalmic surgeons for repositioning dislocated PCIOL. He also originated the technique of pneumatic vitreolysis in 1993. This promising outpatient low-cost surgical technique continues be a current “hot topic” and ongoing intense discussion among retina specialists because its potentially high success rate with few adverse events for treatment of focal vitreomacular traction.
His early research interest involved pneumatic retinopexy for retinal detachments and pneumatic detachment of the vitreous for early macular holes. The topic of his enduring interest has been managing dislocated PCIOLs. Current research interest involves collaboration with multiple investigators on retinal pigment epithelial tears and treatment of vascularized pigment epithelial detachments. He also remains engaged in clinical research associated with pneumatic vitreolysis, a topic of current frequent discussion among retinal specialists because of its therapeutic potential and the economics of medical costs.
His extracurricular interests include travel, reading about WWII battles, and foreign films.
- Pneumatic retinopexy for retinal detachments and pneumatic detachment of the vitreous for early macular holes.
- Medical and surgical management of diseases of the retina, macula, and vitreous
Positions and Honors
|2014||Active Membership by American Ophthalmological Society (AOS)|
|2013||Acceptance for nomination for American Ophthalmological Society (AOS) for submission of a thesis|
|2013||Bryce Young Lecture (Loma Linda University Department of Ophthalmology, Resident Research Day|
|2012||Marquis Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare|
|2012||Member of editorial board of The Scientific World JOURNAL|
|2011||Faculty (paper presentation), AAO-2011 Retina Subspecialty Day-The Magical World of Retina, Orlando,|
|2010-2011||Guest editor, Journal of Ophthalmology, Special issue: The Unsteady Capsular Bag, Hindawi Publishing Corporation,|
|2011.||Elected as Active Member of the Macula Society,|
|2010.||Faculty (paper presentation), AAO-2010 Retina Subspecialty Day-Panretinal Perspective, Chicago,|
|2010||Allergan Advisory Board, Atlanta, GA. Sept 12 and 13,|
|2012.||Elected as a candidate for Club Jules Gonin, Aug, 2009; active membership|
|2010.||Genentech Advisory Board, New York, NY.|
|2008.||Member of organizing committee and abstract grader for 26th annual meeting of American Society of Retina Specialists, Maui, HI|
|2007.||Member of organizing committee and abstract grader for 25th (silver anniversary) annual meeting of American Society of Retina Specialists, Indian Wells, CA|
|2007.||American Society of Retina Specialists Senior Honor (Achievement) Award, Indian Wells, CA, Dec|
|2006||Consultant for Eyetech, OSI, Consultant meeting, Cannes, France|
|2006||American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Honor (Achievement) Award, Las Vegas, NV,|
|2005||Consultant for Novartis training session, Henderson|
|2005||Consultant for Novartis Registry|
|2005||Consultant for Eyetech|
|2004||Active membership of The Retina Society|
|2003||American Society of Retina Specialists Honor (Achievement) Award, New York City|
|1995||Medical consultant for NIDEK [Double-frequency YAG (532NM) laser|
|1995 –2004.||Chairman, Ophthalmology Section, Department of Surgery, Desert Regional Medical Center, Palm Springs, CA.|
|1995||Fellow of American College of Surgeons (F.A.C.S.)|
|California State Fellowship (full scholarship for medical school).|
|1974.||Chemical Rubber Co. Freshmen Chemistry Award|
|California State Scholarship|
|1973||James Weaver Nicoson Scholarship Award to University of California at Berkeley|
- Chan CK, McNeill J. Corneal transplantation: current concepts and considerations. Loma Linda University Surgeons 1982; 01: 11-19.
- Chan CK, Huffaker G. Herpes zoster ophthalmicus and contralateral hemiparesis. J Clinical Neur Ophthalmol 1983; 03: 111-119. (J Lawton Smith, M.D, Editor-in-Chief.)
- Chan CK, Okun E. The question of ocular tolerance to intravitreal liquid silicone, a long term analysis. Ophthalmol 1986; 93: 651-660.
- Chan CK, Olk RJ, Arribas NP, Escoffery RF, Grand MG, Schoch LH. Supplemental photocoagulation on the buckle for prevention of surgical revision after scleral buckling procedures. Arch Ophthalmol 1987; 105: 490-496.
- Chan CK, Wessels IF. Delayed subretinal fluid absorption after pneumatic retinopexy. Ophthalmol 1989; 96: 1691-1700.
- Inclusion of illustration from article: Supplemental photocoagulation on the buckle for prevention of surgical revision after scleral buckling procedures. In: Ophthalmic Surgery Loose Leaf Workbook and Update Service, Lindquist TD, Lindstrom RL, editors, Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, 1990.
- Chan CK, Wessels IF. Delayed absorption of subretinal fluid after pneumatic retinopexy [letter]. Ophthalmol 1990; 97: 695-696.
- Chan CK, Wessels IF. Delayed absorption of subretinal fluid [letter]. Ophthalmol 1990; 97: 961-962.
- Chan CK, Wessels IF. Delayed fluid absorption after pneumatic retinopexy. Year Book of Ophthalmol, pp 238-239, Benson W, editor, Wills Eye Hospital, CV Mosby, St. Louis, 1991.
- Chan CK, Wessels IF. Chronic macular detachment following pneumatic retinopexy [Letter]. Retina 1991; 11: 360.
- Chan CK. An improved technique for management of dislocated posterior chamber implants. Ophthalmol 1992; 99: 51-57.
- Chan CK, Reports by the Silicone Study Group. Arch Ophthalmol 1993; 111: 428-91.
- Chan CK, Kempin SJ, Noble SK, Palmer GA. The treatment of choroidal neovascular membranes by alpha interferon: An efficacy and toxicity study. Ophthalmol 1994; 101: 289-300.
- Chan CK, Wessels IF, Friedrichsen EJ. Treatment of idiopathic macular holes by induced posterior vitreous detachment. Ophthalmol 1995;102: 757-767.
- Schatz H, McDonald HR, Johnson RN, Chan CK, Alexander RI, Berger AR, Folk JC, Robertson DM. Subretinal fibrosis in central serous chorioretinopathy. Ophthalmol 1995; 102: 1077-1085.
- Chan CK, Lin SG. Management of dislocated lens and lens fragments by the vitreoretinal approach. In Agarwal et al, eds. Phacoemulsification, Laser Cataract Surgery and Foldable IOL’s, pp 417-423, 2nd edition, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd; New Delhi, 2000 (distributed by Slack Inc. and Highlights of Ophthalmol).
- Chan, CK, Lawrence FC. Macular hole after laser in situ keratomileusis and photorefractive keratotomy. Am J Ophthalmol 2001; 131: 666-667.
- Chan CK, Gass JDM, Lin SG. Acute exudative polymorphous vitelliform maculopathy syndrome. Retina 2003; 23: 453-462.
- Chan CK, Lin SG. Retinal lesions and LASIK., Ocular Surgery News, 2003; November 15, Vol 21, No. 22, 3,138-139
- Chan CK, Agarwal Am, Agarwal At, Agarwal S. Surgical management of the malpositioned intraocular implant. Comp Ophthalmol Update 2004; 5: 103-15.
- Chan CK, Retinal complications after LASIK, Review of Ophthalmol May 2004, 96-98.
- Chan CK, Arévalo JF, Akbatur HH, Sengün A, Yoon YH, Lee GJ, Tarasewicz DG, Lin SG. Characteristics of sixty myopic eyes with pre-laser in situ keratomileusis retinal examination and post-laser in situ keratomileusis retinal lesions. Retina 2004; 24:706-713.
- Chan CK, Tarasewicz DG, Lin SG. Subconjunctival migration of silicone oil through a Baerveldt pars plana glaucoma implant. Br J Ophthalmol 2005; 89: 240-241.
- Agarwal Am, Chan CK, Sachdev MS. Complications of bimanual phaco. In: Bimanual Phaco, Mastering the Phakonit/MICS Technique., Chapter 19, pp 179-195, 1st edition, Agarwal Am, editor, Slacks Incorporated, Thorofare, New Jersey, 2005.
- Chan CK. Managing dislocated lens fragments. In: Bimanual Phaco, Mastering the Phakonit/MICS Technique., Chapter 20, pp 197-211, 1st edition, Agarwal Am, editor, Slacks Incorporated, Thorofare, New Jersey, 2005.
- Chan CK, Tarasewicz DG, Lin SG. Relation of pre-LASIK and post-LASIK retinal lesions and retinal examination for LASIK eyes. Br J Ophthalmol 2005; 89: 299-301.
- Tarasewicz DG, Chan CK. Peripheral retinal degenerative lesions. In: Handbook of Ophthalmology, Agarwal A et al., editors, Chapter 14, pp 475-486. Slack Incorporated, 2005.
- Chan CK, Tarasewicz DG. Retinal detachment. In: Handbook of Ophthalmology, Agarwal A et al., editors, Chapter 15, pp 487-494. Slack Incorporated, 2005.
- Arévalo JF, Mendoza AJ, Velez-Vazquez W, Rodriguez FJ, Rodriguez A, Rosales-Meneses JL, Yepez JB, Ramirez E, Dessouki A, Chan CK, Mittra RA, Ramsay RC, Garcia RA, Ruiz-Moreno JM. Full-thickness macular hole after LASIK for the correction of myopia. Ophthalmol 2005; 112: 1207-12.
- Arévalo JF, Rodriguez FJ, Rosales-Meneses JL, Dessouki A, Chan CK, Mittra RA, Ruiz-Moreno JM. Vitreoretinal surgery for macular hole after laser assisted in situ keratomileusis for the correction of myopia. Br J Ophthalmol 2005; 89:1423-1426.
- (Member of writing committee) Pooled efficacy results from two multinational randomized controlled clinical trials of a single Intravitreous injection of highly purified ovine hyaluronidase (Vitrase®) for the management of vitreous hemorrhage. Am J Ophthalmol 2005; 140: 573-584.
- Chan CK. Temporary haptic externalization helps control IOL repositioning procedure. Ocular Surgery News, Europe/Asia-Pacific Edition. Volume 17, No. 6, June 2006, 39.
- Chan CK, Limstrom SA, Tarasewicz DG, Lin SG. Ocular features of West Nile virus infection in North America. A study of 14 eyes. Ophthalmol 2006; 113: 1539-1546.
- Chan CK. Unilateral retinal granulomatous lesion. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Challenges. Retina 2007; 27: 101-105.
- Chan CK. Ocular manifestation of West Nile virus: a vanishing disease in North America? Can J Ophthalmol 2007; 42:195-198.
- Writing Committee member of the Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network (Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network, Scott IU, Edwards AR, Beck RW, Bressler NM, Chan CK, Elman MJ, Friedman SM, Greven CM, Maturi RK, Pieramici DJ, Shami M, Singerman LJ, Stockdale CR.). A Phase 2 randomized clinical trial of intravitreal bevacizumab for diabetic macular edema. Ophthalmol 2007; 114:1860–1867.
- Chan CK, Hawkins H, Lin SG. Modified haptic externalizing technique for repositioning dislocated 1-piece acrylic posterior chamber implants. Can J Ophthalmol 2007; 42: 573-579.
- Chan CK, Meyer CH, Gross JG, et al. Retinal pigment epithelial tears after intravitreal bevacizumab injection for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Retina 2007; 27:541-51.
- Chan CK, Lin SG. Retinal pigment epithelial tear after ranibizumab therapy for subfoveal fibrovascular pigment epithelial detachment. Eur J Ophthalmol 2007; 17: 674-676.
- Writing Committee member of the Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network (Scott IU, Bressler NM, Bressler SB, Browning DJ, Chan CK, Danis RP, Davis MD, Kollman C, Qin H; Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network Study Group). Agreement between clinician and reading center gradings of diabetic retinopathy severity level at baseline in a phase 2 study of intravitreal bevacizumab for diabetic macular edema. Retina 2008; 28:36-40.
- Chan CK, Lin SG. Subfoveal choroidal neovascularization associated with cytomegalovirus retinitis and acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Can J Ophthalmol 2008; 43:486-8.
- Chan CK, Lin SG. Nuthi ASD, Salib DM. Pneumatic retinopexy for the repair of retinal detachments: a comprehensive review (1986 to 2007). Surv Ophthalmol 2008; 53: 443-78.
- Meyer CH, Chan CK, Clemens C, Holz FG. Estimation on the incidence and OCT risk factors for RPE tears after intravitreal anti-VEGF injections. Retina Physicians 2009; Nov. 1-3.
- Scott IU, Blodi BA, Ip MS, Van Veldhuisen PC, Oden NL, Chan CK, Gonzalez V, and the SCORE Study Investigator Group. SCORE Study Report 2: Interobserver agreement between investigator and reading center classification of retinal vein occlusion type. Ophthalmol 2009; 116:756-761.
- Ip MS, Scott IU, Van Veldhuisen PC, Oden NL, Blodi BA, Fisher M, Singerman LJ, Tolentino MS, Chan CK, Gonzalez VH and the SCORE Study Research Group. A randomized trial comparing the efficacy and safety of intravitreal triamcinolone with observation to treat vision loss associated with macular edema secondary to central retinal vein occlusion. The Standard Care versus COrticosteroid for REtinal Vein Occlusion (SCORE) Study Report 5. Arch Ophthalmol 2009;127:1101-1114.
- Scott IU, Ip MS, Van Veldhuisen PC, Oden NL, Blodi BA, Fisher M, Chan CK, Gonzalez V, Singerman LJ, Tolentino MS and the SCORE Study Research Group. A randomized trial comparing the efficacy and safety of intravitreal triamcinolone with Standard Care to treat vision loss associated with macular edema secondary to branch retinal vein occlusion. The Standard Care versus COrticosteroid for REtinal Vein Occlusion (SCORE) Study Report 6. Arch Ophthalmol 2009;127:1115-1128.
- Chan CK, Abraham P, Meyer CH, Kokame GT, Kaiser PK, Rauser ME, Gross JG, Nuthi ASD, Lin SG., Daher NS. Optical coherence tomography-measured pigment epithelial detachment height as a predictor for retinal pigment epithelial tears with intravitreal bevacizumab injections. Retina 2010;30:203-211.
- Sarraf D, Vyas N, Jain A, Bui A, Kertes P, Freund KB, Chan CK. Triamcinolone associated crystalline maculopathy. Arch Ophthalmol 2010; 128: 685-690.
- Chan CK, Ip MS, Van Veldhuisen PC, Oden NL, Scott IU, Blodi BA, Tolentino MS and the SCORE Study Research Group. SCORE Study Report #11: Incidences of Neovascular Events in Eyes with Retinal Vein. Ophthalmol 2011; 118: 1364-1372.
- Chan CK, P. Abraham, D Sarraf, High-dose ranibizumab therapy for vascularized pigment epithelial detachment. Eye. Fast Track Paper and Advance Online Publication 11 May 2012; DOI: 10.1038/eye.2012.90; Epub 2012 May 11; Eye 2012; 26:882-885.
- Chan CK, Sarraf D. Response to the letter by Talks et al (June 27, 2012) on High-dose Ranibizumab Therapy for Vascularized Pigment Epithelial Detachment. EYE: Advance Online Publication 19 October 2012; DOI:10.1038/eye.2012.209; Epub 2012 Oct 19, 2012 (Letter).
- Sarraf D, Chan CK, Rahimy E, Abraham P. Prospective evaluation of the incidence and risk factors for the development of RPE tears after high-and low-dose ranibizumab therapy. Retina 2013; 33:1551-15.
- Bressler SB, Qin H, Melia M, Bressler NM, Beck RW, Chan CK, Grover S, Miller DG, Stone T, for the Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network. Exploratory Analysis of Effect of Intravitreal Ranibizumab or Triamcinolone on Worsening of Diabetic Retinopathy in a Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Ophthalmol 2013;131:1033-1040.
- Chan CK, Abraham P, Sarraf D, Nuthi ASD, Lin SG, McCannel CA. Earlier therapeutic effects associated with high-dose (2.0 mg) ranibizumab for treatment of vascularized pigment epithelial detachment in age-related macular degeneration. Eye 2014; (official journal of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, NPG Nature Publishing Group). 3 October 2014; doi:10.1038/eye.2014.233; 2015;29:80-87.
- Chan CK, Jain A, Sadda S and Varshney N. Optical coherence tomographic and visual results at six months after transitioning to aflibercept for patients on prior ranibizumab or bevacizumab treatment for exudative age-related macular degeneration treatment for exudative age-related macular degeneration (An American Ophthalmological Society Thesis). Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 2014;112:160-198.
- Chen X, Al-Sheikh M, Chan CK, Hariri AH, Abraham P, Lalezary M, Lin SG, Sadda S, Sarraf D. Type 1 versus type 3 neovascularization in PEDs associated with AMD after anti-VEGF therapy: a prospective study. Retina 2016 Dec;36 Suppl 1:S50-S64. doi: 10.1097/IAE.0000000000001271.
- Chan CK, Crosson JN, Mein CE. Pneumatic vitreolysis for relief of vitreomacular traction. Retina 2017 Jan 17. doi: 10.1097/IAE.0000000000001448. [Epub ahead of print]