Research Associate Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry
University of Florida
|1978||1983 M.D. 2||d State Medical Institute named after N. I. Pirogov, Moscow, Russia|
|1987-1991||Ph.D|| Molecular Pathology-Institute of Pediatrics and Children's Surgery,
Department of Nephrology, Laboratory of Molecular Pathology, Moscow, Russia
|1992-1996||Postdoctoral Research fellow||Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio|
Dr. Stan Svetlovobtained MD in the 2-d Medical Insitute named after Pirogov, and PhD in the Institute for Pediatrics & Children’s Surgery,Moscow, Russia. Hecompleted postdoctoral research in the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonioand Yale University working on lipid mediators of inflammation, such as platelet-activating factor (PAF) and lysophosphatidic acid (LPA).
Dr. Svetlov received several professional awards for discoveries of molecular mechanisms of liver injuries induced by chemical, bacterial and mechanical trauma, includingProfessional Opportunity Award for Meritorious Research from the American Physiological Society, and Charles Tree, MD Liver Scholar Award from American Liver Foundation. He continued research efforts at University of Florida, Department of Pathology working on molecular mechanisms of polytrauma with emphasis on Brain injury and adult stem cells.Dr. Svetlov published several important papers on this topic including American Journal of Physiology, Journal of Hematotherapy and Stem Cell Research, and was awarded by Vanderbilt University/SERLC for studies of bioactive lipids in neural stem/progenitor cells.
Laboratory of Molecular & Cellular Mechanisms of Injury was established by Dr. Svetlov when he joined the Center for Traumatic Brain Injury at University of Florida. The focus of his research has been mechanisms ofmultiorgan injury, including brain and liver trauma, with an emphasis on biomarkers of injury. These studies have been funded by the Department of Defense. In 2007, Dr. Svetlov joined Banyan Biomarkers, Inc. as Associate Director of Banyan Laboratories and is currently back to full time Associate Professor position at UF. Novel biomarkers of neurological conditions have been discovered and are under clinical validation.
Biomarkers & therapeutics of brain injury, PTSD & military polytrauma and sepsis.
Previous positions and research experience:
|2006-2007||Research Associate Professor||Department of Physiological Sciences||University of Florida, Gainesville FL|
|2003-2006||Research Assistant Professor||Center for Proteomics & Biomarker Research||University of Florida|
|2000-2003||Assistant Professor||Department of Pathology||Gainesville, Florida|
|1997-1999||Research Fellow/Associate Research Scientist||Department of Pathology||Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT|
|1993-1996||Postdoctoral Associate||Laboratory of Dr. Hanahan and Dr. Olson, Department of Biochemistry||University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX|
|1991-1992||Research Associate||Laboratory of Molecular Pathology||Institute of Pediatrics and Children's Surgery, Moscow, Russia|
|1992||Visiting Scientist||Laboratory of Eicosanoid Research||Free University of Berlin, Germany|
|1990||MD/PhD Exchange Scholarship||Laboratory of Vascular Pathology||Institute Henri Beaufour/IPSEN Pharmaceuticals, Paris, France|
|1985-1986||Clinical Research Associate||Laboratory of Toxicology|| Central Naval
Hospital #32, Moscow, Russia
|1984-1985||Jr. Research Fellow||Laboratory of Toxicology||Institute for Biological Screening of Chemical Compounds, Moscow, Russia|
Professional Societies and Foundations:
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (1999-current),
- American Society for Neurochemistry (2004-current),
- American Physiological Society (AJP) (1996 – current),
- American Association for Advancement of Sciences (2001-current).
- International Liver Cancer Association (ILCA) (2010-present)
Ed hoc Reviewer for Scientific Journals:
Molecular Pharmacology, Biochemica Biophysica Acta, Hepatology, Laboratory Investigation, Journal of Hepatology, Journal of Receptors, Ligands and Ion Channels; Journal of Neurotrauma
Board membership/Expert panels
- 2002 Organizer and Co-Chair : Mini-Simposium “Lysophospholipids and regulation of apoptosis’ at IV International Congress on Pathophysiology,
- 2006 National Science Foundation: Expert panel ‘Disease Diagnostics and Prognostics’
- 2007-present Editorial Board member ‘Journal of Receptors, Ligands and Ion Channels’
- 2008 Invited member of Advisory Panel of Department of Defense “Blast Induced Brain Injury”, St. Louis
- 2009 NIH Study Section Review ZAA1 DD (03)
- 2010-2014-DoD expert review panel on Blast-induced neurotrauma;
Honors and Awards
- Adams S, Condrey JA, Hsiu-Wen Tsai H-W, Svetlov SI and Davenport PW.Respiratory response following acute blast-Induced traumatic brain injury, Respir Physiol Neurobiol., 2014 (in press)
- McGill MR, Cao M, Sharpe MR, Williams CD, Curry SC, Jaeschke H, and Svetlov SIArgininosuccinate synthetase as a plasma biomarker of liver injury after acetaminophen overdose in rodents and humans. Biomarkers. 2014 May;19(3):222-30. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24597531
- Kobeissy F, Mondello S, Tümer N., Toklu HZ, Whidden MA, Kirichenko N, Zhang Z, Prima V, Yassin W, Anagli J, Chandra N, Svetlov SI, Wang KKW Assessing neuro-systemic & behavioral components in thepathophysiology of blast-related brain injury. Review. Frontiers in Neurology, Nov 2013 doi: 10.3389/fneur.2013.00186http://www.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fneur.2013.00186/full
- Prima V, Serebruany V, Svetlov A, Hayes RL, Svetlov S. Impact of moderate blast exposures on thrombin biomarkers assessed by Calibrated Automated Thrombography (CAT) in rats. J Neurotrauma. 2013 Nov 15;30(22):1881-1887. http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/neu.2012.2758
- Prima V, Cao M, and Svetlov SI. ASS and SULT2A1 are Novel and Sensitive Biomarkers of Acute Hepatic Injury-A Comparative Study in Animal Models. J of Liver (omics) 2013,Jan 10; 2 (1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665291/
- Cao M, Prima V, and Svetlov SI.Argininosuccinate synthase as a novel biomarker for inflammatory conditions.Biomarkers. 2013 May 2013, Vol. 18, No. 3, 242-249 More: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/1354750X.2013.773080
- Cao M, Prima V, Nelson D, and Svetlov SI.Composite fatty acid ether amides suppress growth of liver cancer cells in vitro and in an in vivo allograft mouse model. Cell Oncol. 2013 Jun;36(3):247-257http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23619943
- Svetlov, S.I., Prima, V., Glushakova O, Svetlov A., Kirk, D.R., Gutierrez, H., Serebruany VL., Curley, K.C., Wang, K.K.W. and Hayes, R.L. Neuro-glial and systemic mechanisms of pathological responses in rat models of primary blast overpressure compared to ‘composite’ blast. Frontiers in Neurotrauma, 2012, 2012; 3: 15. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3275793/
- Prima V, Wang A. K, Molina G, Wang K.K.W, Svetlov, S. I. Inhibition of LPS toxicity by hepatic argininosuccinate synthase (ASS): novel roles for ASS in innate immune responses to bacterial infection. Int. Immunopharmacology, 2011, 11(9):1180-8
- Tümer, Svetlov SI, Whiddenh M, Kirichenko N, Prima V, Erdos B, Sherman A, Kobeissy F, Yezierski R, Scarpace PJ, Vierck C and Wang K.W. Overpressure blast-wave induced brain injury elevates oxidative stress in the hypothalamus and catecholamine biosynthesis in the rat adrenal medulla. Neuroscience Lett. 2013Jun 7;544:62-7
- Cao M, Svetlov A, Prima V, Nelson DR and Svetlov SI. Recombinant ASS alleviates inflammatory responses and increases survival in mice following polymicrobial sepsis. J. Clin. Invest. 2013 (submitted)
- Serebruany V, Sani Y, Lynch D, Schevchuck A, Svetlov SI, Fong A, Thevathasan L, Hanley D. Effects of dabigatran in vitro on thrombin biomarkers by Calibrated Automated Thrombography in patients after ischemic stroke. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2012 Jan;33(1):22-7.
- Svetlov, S.I., Prima, V., Kirk, D.R., Gutierrez, H., Curley, K.C., Hayes, R.L., and Wang, K.K.W. Morphologic and biochemical characterization of brain injury in a model of controlled blast overpressure exposure. Journal of Trauma 2010, 69(4) 795-804.
- Martinez JA, Zhang Z, Svetlov SI, Hayes RL, Wang KK, Larner SF. Calpain and caspase processing of caspase-12 contribute to the ER stress-induced cell death pathway in differentiated PC12 cells. Apoptosis. 2010 Jul 17. 15(12):1480-93.
- Svetlov, S.I., Larner, S.F., Kirk, D.R., Atkinson, J., Hayes, R.L., and Wang, K.K.. Biomarkers of blast-induced neurotrauma: profiling molecular and cellular mechanisms of blast brain injury. J Neurotrauma 2009, 26:913-921.
- Svetlov, SI, Kobeissy,F, Gold, M. Performance enhancing non-prescription use of Ritalin: a comparison with amphetamines and cocaine. Journal of Addictive Diseases, 2007, 26(4) 1-6
- Svetlov SI, Huang G, Xiang YW,. Foley DF,. Hayes RL, Ottens A, Wang KKW.Identification and characterization of novel biomarkers of hepatic ischemia& reperfusion injury using dual platform proteomic/degradomic approaches. Biomarkers 2006,11: 355-369
- Xiang YW, Johnson EA, Zhang C, Huang GL, Hayes RL, Wang KKWand SI SvetlovGeneration ofaberrant forms of DFF40 concurrent with caspase-3activation duringacute and chronic liver injury in rats.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 2006, 350(2):457-62.
- Warren MW, Kobeissy FH, Liu MC, Svetlov SI, Hayes RL, Gold MS, Wang KK. Ecstasy toxicity: a comparison to methamphetamine and traumatic brain injury. J Addict Dis. 2006;25(4):115-23.
- Johnson EA, Svetlov SI, Wang KKW, Hayes RL, Pineda JA. Cell-specific DNA fragmentation is attenuated via survivin-dependent mechanism following traumatic brain injury in rats. Exp. Brain Res. 2005, 167(1):17-26.
- Svetlov SI, Ignatova TN, Wang KKW, Hayes RL, Kukekov VG. Lysophosphatidic Acid Induces Clonal Generation of Mouse Neurospheres via Proliferation of Sca-1 and AC133 - Positive Neural Progenitors. Stem Cells & Development , 2004,13 (6) : 685-693
- Sautin Y.Y., Jorgensen M, Petersen B.E., Crawford J.M. and Svetlov S.I.Hepatic oval (stem) cell expression of EDG receptors for lysophosphatidic acid in mouse chronic liver injury. J. Hematotherapy & Stem Cell Res. 2002 , 11 (4) 643-650
- Sautin, Y.Y., Crawford, J.M. and Svetlov S.I. Enhancement of Murine Hepatocyte Survival by Lysophosphatidic Acid is Mediated via Erk1/Erk2 and PI-3 kinase/Akt Pathways. Am. J. Physiol., 2001; 281: C2010-C2019.
- Sturm E, Zimmerman TL, Crawford A, Svetlov SI, Sundaram P, Ferrara JLM, Karpen SJ, Crawford JM Endotoxin-stimulated macrophages decrease bile acid uptake in WIF-B cells,a rat hepatoma hybrid cell line. Hepatology, 2000; 31(1): 124-130.
- Svetlov, S.I., Sturm, E., Olson,M. S., Crawford, J.M. Hepatic regulation of PAF-acetylhydrolase biliary secretion and LCAT plasma output in rats exposed to bacterial LPS.Hepatology 1999, 30(1): 128-136
- Svetlov SI, Moskaleva ES, Pinelis VG, Daikhin Y, Serebruany VL. Decreased intraplatelet Ca2+ release and ATP secretion in pediatric nephrotic syndrome.Pediatr Nephrol. 1999 Apr;13(3):205-8.
- Siafaka-Kapadai A, Svetlov S, Hanahan DJ, Javors MA. Effects of suramin on human platelet aggregation and Ca2+ mobilization induced by thrombin and other agonists.Life Sci. 1998;63(20):1769-77.
- Serebruany VL, Gurbel PA, Murugesan SR, Lowry DR, Sturm E, and Svetlov SI.Depressed plasma platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase in patients presenting with acute myocardial infarction.Cardiology. 1998 Oct;90(2):127-30.
- Svetlov SI, Howard KM, Debuysere MS, Olson MS. Secretory PAF-acetylhydrolase of the rat hepatobiliary system: characterization and partial purification.Am J Physiol. 1998 May;274(5 Pt 1):G891-900.
- Svetlov SI, Liu H, Chao W, Olson MS. Regulation of platelet-activating factor (PAF) biosynthesis via coenzyme A-independent transacylase in the macrophage cell line IC-21 stimulated with lipopolysaccharide.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997 Jun 2;1346(2):120-30.
- Svetlov SI, Hanahan DJ. Dual effect of propranolol on the human platelet activation by thrombin: potentiation of free intracellular Ca2+ mobilization and inhibition of phospholipase D activity.Adv Exp Med Biol. 1997;400A:199-205. No abstract available.
- Svetlov SI, Siafaka-Kapadai A, Hanahan DJ, Olson MS. Signaling responses to alkyllysophosphatidic acid: the activation of phospholipases A2 and C and protein tyrosine phosphorylation in human platelets.Arch Biochem Biophys. 1996 Dec 1;336(1):59-68.
- Svetlov SI, Howard KM, Miwa M, Flickinger BD, Olson MS. Interaction of platelet-activating factor with rat hepatocytes: uptake, translocation, metabolism, and effects on PAF-acetylhydrolase secretion and protein tyrosine phosphorylation.Arch Biochem Biophys. 1996 Mar 1;327(1):113-22.