University of Florida
Combined Orthopedic/Neurosurgical Spine Fellowship
Cleveland Clinic Foundation; Cleveland, OH – Aug. 1st 2012 - present
Masters in Public Health
Johns Hopkins University; Baltimore, MD - 2009-2012
Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (2012)
University of Calgary; Calgary, AB, - 2006 - 2012
Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (2007)
Doctor of Medicine
University of Alberta; Edmonton, AB, - 2002-2006
Bachelor of Science/ Biological Sciences
University of Calgary; Calgary, AB - 1998-2002
Dr. Dhaliwal received his undergraduate degree at the University of Calgary in Canada then his medical degree at the University of Alberta in the city of Edmonton. He completed a six-year residency in neurosurgery at the University of Calgary in 2012.
Along the way, he found time to earn a Master’s degree in Public Health at the esteemed Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. Finally, he undertook a combined orthopedic/neurosurgical spine fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation over the past year.
He was named a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada in 2012.
Among Dr. Dhaliwal’s research credentials are participation in a study group on Child Health Education at Johns Hopkins and working on a Randomized Controlled Trial on Use of Intrathecal (under the spinal cord’s outer membrane) Morphine in Spinal Surgery.
His list of publications and contributions to medical journalists is even more impressive. Among a sampling of Dr. Dhaliwal’s titles: a chapter on Isthmic Spondylolisthesis in a new textbook on spine surgery and articles on Management of Postoperative Pain with Intrathecal Morphine After Lumbar Spinal Fusion, Intraoperative Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Neuronavigation for Transoral Approaches to Upper Cervical Pathology, and Rapid Magnetic Resonance Imagingguided Reduction of Craniovertebral Junction Deformities.
Dr. Dhaliwal is an expert in minimally invasive spine surgery, complex spine surgery, and general adult neurosurgery.
Child Health Education Research Group
Johns Hopkins Univeristy; 2011- present
Supervisor: Dr. Hope Johnson, Center for Global Health at Bloomberg School of Public Health
Co-Investigator of Randomized Controlled Trial on Use of Intrathecal Morphine in Spinal Surgery
University of Calgary; 2010 – present
Research Student – Electrophysiological experiments analyzing properties of prokaryotic sodium
University of Calgary; 1999-2002
Supervisor: Dr. R. French, Department of Biophysics
Honors and Awards
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation Neurological Institute Research Pilot Funding Award
- 2012 Dr. S. Terence Myles Teaching Award
- 2010 Alberta Neurosurgical Society Resident Research Award
- 2010 AANS/CNS Joint Section on Spine and Peripheral Nerve Clinical Trial Proposal Award
- Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research Summer Studentship (1999-2002)
- University of Calgary Viscount Bennet Scholarship
- University of Calgary Undergraduate Merit Award
- University of Calgary Matriculation Merit Award
- Deans List (1998-2002)
- Alexander Rutherford Scholarship (1998-2001)
- Dhaliwal P., Mercier P., Hawboldt G., Du Plessis S., Casha S., Management of Postoperative Pain with Intrathecal Morphine after Lumbar Spinal Fusion: A Systematic Review. Submitted to World Neumsurgery.
- Dhaliwal P., Whitaker T., Fans P., Hawboldt G., Du Plessis S., The Use of Intrathecal Morphine in the Management of Acute Pain Following Decompressive Lumbar Spinal Surgery: Study Design and Methodology. Submitted to BMC Surgery.
- Dhaliwal P., Hurlbert R.J., Sutherland G., lntraoperative Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Neuronavigation for Transoral Approaches to Upper Cervical Pathology. World Neurosurg. E-publlcation November 72011.
- Dhaliwal P., Eesa M., Cenic A., An Unusual Case of Myelopathy: Surfer's Myelopathy. Can J Neurol Sci. 2011 Mar;38(2):354-6.
- Darsaut TE, Sartawi M, Dhaliwal, P., Fox, R.J. (2009) Rapid magnetic resonance imaging-guided reduction of craniovertebral junction deformities. J Neurosurg Spine. 10(1): 27-32
- Pavlov E, Bladen C, Winkfein R, Dhaliwal P, French R. (2005) The pore, not cytoplasmic domains, underlies inactivation in a prokaryotic sodium channel. Biophys J. 89: 232-242.
- Dhaliwal P., Orr D., Isthmic Spondylolisthesis. Spine Surgery: Current Concepts and Evidence. McGraw-Hill Professional. New York, New York, 2013
- Dhaliwal P., Krishnaney A., Lumbar Disc Herniation. Spine Surgery: Current Concepts and Evidence. McGraw-Hill Professional. New York, New York. 2013.
- Dhaliwal P., Benzel E., Spinal Fusion for Chronic Back Pain. Encyclopedia of Pain, 2nd Edition. Springer Publishing. New Delhi, India. 2012.
- Dhaliwal P., Archer L., Casha S., Spinal Cord Injury: Assessment and Neurological Classification. In: The Cervical Spine, 5th Edition. Lipincott Williams and Wilkins. Phialdelphia, PA. 2012.
- Dhaliwal P., Hurlbert R.J., Cervical Kyphosis. In: The Comprehensive Treatment of the Aging Spine:Minimally Invasive and Advanced Techniques. Elsevier. Philadelphia, PA. 2008.
Abstracts / Presentations
- Dhaliwal P., Awad B.I., Lubelski D., Moore T., Vallier H., Steinmetz P., Open Versus Percutaneous Fixationfor Thoracolumbar Flexion Distraction INjuries in Polytrauma Patients: Perioperative Outcomes. AO Spine Meeting (Banff, AB). March, 2013.
- Dhaliwal P., Mercier P., Casha S., Du Plessis S., Intrathecal Morphine in the Management of Postoperative Pain in Adult Lumbar Spinal Surgery: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. AANS/CNS Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerve (Orlando, FL). February2010.
- Dhaliwal P.P.S, Pillay N, Weibe S, Hader W., Seizure outcome following selective amygdalohippocampectomy for temporal lobe epilepsy in 85 patients. Canadian Federation of Neurological Sciences Annual Meeting. (Victoria, B.C.). June 2009.
- Dhaliwal P., Sutherland G., Hurlbert R.J., Neuronavigation in Surgery of the Craniovertebral Junction.AANS/CNS Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerve (Orlando, FL). February 2010.
- Dhaliwal P., Pillay N., Hamiwka L., Weibe S., Hader W., Intraoperative MRI verification of extent of resection in corpus callosotomy. Canadian Federation of Neurological Sciences Annual Meeting. (Edmonton, AB). June 2008.
- Pavlov, E., Bladen, C., Ma, Q., Winkfien, R., Dhaliwal, P.P.S., French, R.J. (2004) Inactivation in a bacterial voltage-gated sodium channel – a C-type mechanism? Biophys. J. 86: 66a
- Pavlov, E., Bladen, C., Dhaliwal, P.P.S., French, R.J.. (2003) Block of a prokaryotic voltage-gated sodium channel (NaChBac) by phenytoin and lidocaine. Biophys. J. 84:66a
Letters / Comments / Editorials
Dhaliwal P, Benzel E. Invited Perspective on manuscript “Identification of Knowledge Gaps in Neurosurgery Using a Validated Self-Assessment Examination: Differences Between General and Spinal Neurosurgeons”. World Neurosurgery, 2012.