Professor of Neurosurgery
University of California, Los Angeles
- Morehead State University, Morehead, Kentucky; B.S. Biology and Chemistry (Dual Major), Summa Cum Laude, May 1978
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio; M.D. May 1982
Dr. Mathern graduated from the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in 1982. He completed his Rotating Internship at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in 1983 and his Residencies in Surgery (1985) and Neurosurgery (1986-1991) at UCLA Harbor Medical Center and UCLA School of Medicine, respectively. Dr. Mathern received his Board Certification in Neurological Surgery in 1996. He currently practices medicine at the David Geffen UCLA School of Medicine and specializes in Neurological Surgery and Pediatric Neurological Surgery. Dr. Mathern is affiliated with both Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center and Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.
Dr. Mathern’s academic career is devoted clinically to the neurosurgical treatment of children with medically refractory epilepsy, and from a research perspective in understanding seizure mechanisms from the tissue removed from brain surgery. Over the past decade, Dr. Mathern and his team has developed new surgical procedures such as cerebral hemispherectomy for small children that are safer than traditional operations. Dr. Mathern and team have characterized the clinical presentation and phenotype of those with hemimegalencephaly, tuberous sclerosis complex, cortical dysplasia, Rasmussen encephalitis and other rare brain diseases of children linked with epilepsy. Dr. Mathern’s research laboratory and collaborators have also characterized the cellular electrophysiology and neuroanatomy of pediatric epilepsy surgery syndromes. Furthermore, Dr. Mathern has been studying the outcomes after cerebral hemispherectomy and ways to intervene and to improve developmental neuroplasticity in these children. Dr. Mathern’s basic science research goal is to use newer research tools as a method in developing translational therapies and improve the care of these children.
Professional Training and Academic Positions
- Rotational Internship; Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio. July 1982 to June 1983
- Emergency Room Physician; Lutheran Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio (National Health Service Corps assignment). July 1983 to June 1985
- Resident in General Surgery; Department of Surgery; Harbor/UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA. July 1985 to December 1985
- Resident and Chief Resident in Neurosurgery; Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery; UCLA Center for Health Sciences, Los Angeles, CA. January 1986 to June 1991.
- Clinical Instructor in Neurophysiology, Neurosurgery and Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Epilepsy; Department of Neurology and Division of Neurosurgery; UCLA Center for the Health Sciences, Los Angeles, CA. July 1991 to June 1993.
- Clinical Instructor in Neurosurgery and Clinical Neurophysiology; UCLA Medical Center and Olive View/UCLA Medical Center. July 1993 to June 1996.
- Assistant Professor In-Residence; Division of Neurosurgery, UCLA Medical Center (July 1996 to June 2002), Olive View/UCLA Medical Center (July 1996 to June 1997), and West Los Angeles VA Medical Center (July 1997 to June 2002).
- Associate Professor In-Residence; Division of Neurosurgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA; University of California, Los Angeles (July 2002 to June 2006), and West Los Angeles VA Medical Center (July 2002 to October 2005).
- Professor In-Residence; Departments of Neurosurgery (July 2006 to present) and Psychiatry & BioBehavioral Sciences (July 2009 to present), Mattel Children’s Hospital and David Geffen School of Medicine; University of California, Los Angeles.
Reviews per Year:
Number of Reviews
Number of Journals
|2013 (not Epilepsia)||
Co-Editor in Chief, Epilepsia July, 2013
- Epilepsia: 2004 to 2007.
- Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology: 2005 to 2011.
- Epileptic Disorders: 2006 to 2012.
- Epilepsy Research: 2007 to present.
- Epilepsy & Seizures-Journal of Japan Epilepsy Society: 2008 to present.
- Surgical Neurology: 2007to 2009. Changed to Surgical Neurology International in 2010.
- Neurology: 2008 to present.
- Deputy Editor; Epileptic Disorders, 2013.
Honors and Awards
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Mathern GW, Batzdorf U. Grisel's syndrome: cervical spine clinical, pathologic and neurologic manifestations. Clinical Orthopeadics and Related Research, 1989, 244:131-146.
- Schell RE, Mathern GW. Complication in nasogastric tube placement after gunshot wound to the face. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, 1990, 70:525-526.
- Babb TL, Pretorius JK, Kupfer WR, Mathern GW, Crandall PH, Levesque MF. Aberrant synaptic reorganization in human epileptic hippocampus: Evidence for feedforward excitation. Dendron, 1992, 1:7-25.
- Mathern GW, Kupfer WR, Pretorius JK, Babb TL, Levesque MF. Onset and patterns of hippocampal spouting in the rat kainate seizure model: Evidence for progressive cell loss and neoinnervation in regio inferior and superior. Dendron, 1992, 1:69-84.
- Babb TL, Pretorius JK, Mello LE, Mathern GW, Levesque MF. Synaptic reorganizations in epileptic human and rat kainate hippocampus may contribute to feedback and feedforward excitation. In: Molecular Neurobiology of Epilepsy (Epilepsy Research Supplement 9), J. Engel, Jr., C. Wasterlain, E.A. Cavalheiro, U. Heinemann, and G. Avanzini (Eds.), Amsterdam, Elsevier, 1992, pp. 193-203.
- Mathern GW, Cifuentes F, Leite JP, Pretorius JK, and Babb TL. Hippocampal EEG excitability and chronic spontaneous seizures are associated with aberrant synaptic reorganization in the rat intrahippocampal kainate model. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, 1993, 87: 326-339.
- Mathern GW, Leite JP, Pretorius JK, Quinn B, Peacock WJ, and Babb TL. Children with severe epilepsy: Evidence of hippocampal neuron losses and aberrant mossy fiber sprouting during postnatal granule cell migration and differentiation. Developmental Brain Research, 1994, 78: 70-80.
- Mathern GW, Babb TL, Vickrey BG, Melendez M, and Pretorius JK. Traumatic compared to non-traumatic clinical-pathologic associations in temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Research, 1994, 19: 129-139.
- Mathern GW, Pretorius JK, and Babb TL. Quantified patterns of mossy fiber sprouting and neuron densities in hippocampal and lesional seizures. Journal of Neurosurgery, 1995, 82: 211-219.
- Mathern GW, Pretorius JK, and Babb TL. Influence of the type of initial precipitating injury and at what age it occurs on course and outcome in patients with temporal lobe seizures. Journal of Neurosurgery, 1995, 82: 220-227.
- Mathern GW, Pretorius JK, Quinn B, and Babb TL. Unilateral hippocampal mossy fiber sprouting and bilateral asymmetric neuron loss with episodic postictal psychosis. Journal of Neurosurgery, 1995, 82: 228-233.
- Mathern GW, Babb TL, Vickrey BG, Melendez M, and Pretorius JK. The clinical-pathogenic mechanisms of hippocampal neuron loss and surgical outcomes in temporal lobe epilepsy. Brain, 1995, 118: 105-118.
- Mathern GW, Babb TL, Pretorius JK, and Leite JP. Reactive synaptogenesis and neuron densities for neuropeptide Y, somatostatin, and glutamate decarboxylase-immunoreactivity in the epileptogenic human fascia dentata. Journal of Neuroscience, 1995, 15: 3990-1404.
- Mathern GW, Babb TL, Pretorius JK, Melendez M, and Lévesque MF. The pathophysiologic relationships between lesion pathology, intracranial ictal EEG onsets, and hippocampal neuron losses in temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Research, 1995, 21:133-147.
- Babb TL, Leite JP, Mathern GW, Pretorius JK. Kainic acid induced hippocampal seizures in rats: Comparisons of acute and chronic seizures using intrahippocampal versus systemic injections. Ital. J. Neurol. Sci., 1995, 16:39-44.
- Mathern GW, Leite JP, Babb TL, Pretorius JK, Kuhlman PA, Mendoza D, Fried I, Sakamoto AC, Assirati JA, Adelson PD, and Peacock WJ. Aberrant hippocampal mossy fiber sprouting correlates with greater NMDAR2 receptor staining. NeuroReport, 1996, 7:1029-1035.
- Mathern GW, Babb TL, Mischel PS, Vinters HV, Pretorius JK, Leite JP, and Peacock WJ. Childhood generalized and mesial temporal epilepsies demonstrate different amounts and patterns of hippocampal neuron loss and mossy fibre synaptic reorganization. Brain, 1996, 119:965-987.
- Mathern GW, Babb TL, Leite JP, Pretorius JK, Yeoman KM, and Kuhlman PA. The pathogenic and progressive features of chronic human hippocampal epilepsy. Epilepsy Research, 1996, 26:151-161.
- Babb TL, Mathern GW, Leite JP, Pretorius JK, Yeoman KM, Kuhlman PA. Glutamate AMPA receptors in the fascia dentata of human and kainate rat hippocampal epilepsy. Epilepsy Research, 1996, 26:193-205.
- Leite JP, Babb TL, Pretorius JK, Kuhlman PA, Yeoman KM, Mathern GW. Neuron loss, mossy fiber sprouting, and interictal spikes after intrahippocampal kainic acid in developing rats. Epilepsy Research, 1996, 26:219-231.
- Mathern GW, Leite JP, Pretorius JK, Quinn B, Peacock WJ, Babb TL. Seizures in young children are associated with hippocampal neuron losses and aberrant mossy fiber sprouting during fascia dentata postnatal development. In: Progressive Nature of Epileptogenesis. U. Heinemann, J. Engel, G. Avanzini, et al. (Eds), Epilepsy Research Suppl. 12, 1996, 33-43.
- Babb TL, Mathern GW, Pretorius JK, Cifuentes F. Astrocytes may contribute to the latent period in progressive neuron loss, axon sprouting, and chronic seizures in rat kainate hippocampal epilepsy. In: Progressive Nature of Epileptogenesis. U. Heinemann. J. Engel, G. Avanzini, et al. (Eds), Epilepsy Research Suppl. 12, 1996, 343-354.
- Mathern GW, Babb TL, Micevych PE, Blanco CE, and Pretorius JK. Granule cell mRNA levels for BDNF, NGF, and NT-3 correlate with neuron losses or supragranular mossy fiber sprouting in the chronically damaged and epileptic human hippocampus. Molecular and Chemical Neuropathology, 1997, 30:53-76.
- Mathern GW, Kuhlman PA, Mendoza D, and Pretorius JK. Human fascia dentata anatomy and hippocampal neuron densities differ depending on the epileptic syndrome and age at first seizures. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, 1997, 56:199-212.
- Mathern GW, Bertram EH, Babb TL, Pretorius JK, Kuhlman PA, Spradlin S, and Mendoza D. In contrast to kindled seizures, the frequency of spontaneous epilepsy in the limbic status model correlates with greater aberrant fascia dentata excitatory and inhibitory axon sprouting, and increased staining for NMDA, AMPA, and GABA-A receptors. Neuroscience, 1997, 77:1003-1019.
- Mathern GW, Pretorius JK, Kornblum HI, Mendoza D, Lozada A, Leite JP, Chimelli LMC, Fried I, Sakamoto AC, Assirati JA, Levesque MF, Adelson PD, and Peacock WJ. Human hippocampal AMPA and NMDA mRNA levels in temporal lobe epilepsy patients. Brain, 1997, 120:1937-1959.
- Mathern GW, Price G, Rosales C, Pretorius JK, Lozada A, and Mendoza D. Anoxia during kainate status epilepticus shortens behavioral convulsions but generates hippocampal neuron loss and supragranular mossy fiber sprouting. Epilepsy Research, 1998, 30:133-151.
- Mathern GW, Pretorius JK, Mendoza D, Lozada A, Leite JP, Chimelli L, Fried I, Sakamoto AC, Assirati JA, and Adelson, PD. Increased hippocampal AMPA and NMDA receptor immunoreactivity in temporal lobe epilepsy patients. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, 1998, 57: 615-634.
- Mathern GW, Pretorius JK, Leite JP, Kornblum HI, Mendoza D, Lozada A, and Bertram EH. Hippocampal AMPA and NMDA mRNA levels and subunit immunoreactivity in human temporal lobe epilepsy patients and a rodent model of chronic mesial limbic epilepsy. Epilepsy Research, 1998, 32: 154-171.
- Mathern GW, Pretorius JK, Kornblum HI, Mendoza D, Lozada A, Leite JP, Chimelli L, Born DE, Fried I, Sakamoto AC, Assirati JA, Peacock WJ, Ojemann GA, and Adelson, PD. Altered hippocampal kainate-receptor mRNA levels in temporal lobe epilepsy patients. Neurobiology of Disease 1998, 5: 151-176.
- Mathern, GW, Pretorius JK, Mendoza D, Lozada A, and Kornblum HI. Hippocampal AMPA and NMDA mRNA levels correlate with aberrant fascia dentata mossy fiber sprouting in the pilocarpine model of spontaneous limbic epilepsy. Journal of Neuroscience Research, 1998, 54: 734-753.
- Mathern GW, Mendoza D, Lozada A, Pretorius JK, Dehnes Y, Danbolt NC, Nelson N, Leite JP, Chimelli L, Born DE, Sakamoto AC, Assirati JA, Fried I, Peacock WJ, Ojemann GA, and Adelson, PD. Hippocampal GABA and glutamate transporter immunoreactivity in temporal lobe epilepsy patients. Neurology, 1999, 52: 453-472.
- Bragin A, Engel Jr. J, Wilson CL, Fried I, and Mathern GW. Hippocampal and entorhinal cortex high-frequency oscillations (100-500 Hz) in human epileptic brain and in Kainic acid-treated rats with chronic seizures. Epilepsia, 1999, 40: 127-137.
- Bragin A, Engel Jr. J, Wilson CL, Vizentin E, and Mathern GW. Electrophysiological analysis of a chronic seizure model after unilateral hippocampal KA injection. Epilepsia, 1999, 40: 1210-1221.
- Mathern, GW, Pretorius JK, Mendoza D, Leite JP, Chimelli L, Born DE, Fried I, Assirati JA, Ojemann GA, Adelson PD, Cahan LD, and Kornblum HI. Hippocampal NMDA receptor subunit mRNA levels in temporal lobe epilepsy patients. Annals of Neurology, 1999, 46: 343-358.
- Isokawa M, Mathern GW. Developmental changes in NMDA-induced intrinsic optical signals in the hippocampal dentate gyrus of children with medically-intractable seizures. Developmental Neuroscience, 1999, 21(3-5):215-222.
- Cepeda C, Li Z, Cromwell HC, Altemus KL, Crawford CA, Nansen EA, Ariano MA, Sibley DR, Peacock WJ, Mathern GW, Levine MS. Electrophysiological and morphological analysis of cortical neurons obtained from children with catastrophic epilepsy: Dopamine receptor modulation of glutamatergic responses. Developmental Neuroscience, 1999, 21(3-5): 223-235.
- Kerfoot C, Vinters HV, Mathern GW. Cerebral cortical dysplasia: Giant neurons show potential for increased excitation and axonal plasticity. Developmental Neuroscience, 1999, 21(3-5):260-270.
- Mathern GW, Giza CC, Yudovin S, Vinters HV, Peacock WJ, Shewmon DA, and Shields WD. Post-operative seizure control and anti-epileptic drug usage in pediatric epilepsy surgery patients: The UCLA experience, 1986-1997. Epilepsia, 1999, 40: 1740-1749.
- Mathern GW, Cepeda C, Hurst RS, Flores-Hernandez J, Mendoza D, and Levine MS. Neurons recorded from pediatric epilepsy surgery patients with cortical dysplasia. Epilepsia, 2000, 41(Suppl.6):S162-167.
- Katzir H, Mendoza D, and Mathern GW. The effect of theophylline and trimethobenzamide when given during kainate-induced status epilepticus: An improved histopathologic rat model of human hippocampal sclerosis. Epilepsia, 2000, 41:1390-1399.
- Leiphart JW, Peacock WJ, and Mathern GW. Lobar and multilobar resections for medically intractable pediatric epilepsy. Pediatric Neurosurg, 2001, 34:311-318.
- Curtiss S, de Bode S, and Mathern GW. Spoken language outcomes after hemispherectomy: factoring in etiology. Brain Lang, 2001, 79:179-396.
- Mathern GW, Adelson PD, Cahan LD, and Leite JP. Hippocampal neuron damage in human epilepsy: Meyer’s hypothesis revisited. Progress in Brain Research, 2002, 135:237-251.
- Shusta EV, Boado RJ, Mathern GW, Pardridge WM. Vascular genomics of the human brain. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism, 2002, 22:245-252.
- Mathern GW, Leiphart JL, De Vera A, Adelson PD, Seki T, Neder L, and Leite JP. Seizures decrease postnatal neurogenesis and granule cell development in the human fascia dentata. Epilepsia, 2002, 43(Suppl. 5):68-73.
- Cepeda C, Hurst RS, Flores-Hernandez J, Henandez-Echeagaray E, Klapstein GJ, Boylan MK, Calvert CR, Jocoy E, Nguyen OK, André V, Vinters HV, Ariano MA Levine MS, and Mathern GW. Morphological and electrophysiological characterization of abnormal cell types in pediatric cortical dysplasia. J Neurosci. Res., 2003, 72:472-486.
- Bender RA, Soleymani SV, Brewster AL, Nguyen ST, Beck H, Mathern GW, and Baram TZ. Enhanced expression of a specific hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel (HCN) in surviving dentate gyrus granule cells of human and experimental epileptic hippocampus. J Neurosci, 2003, 23:6826-6836.
- Handforth A, Ondo WG, Tatter S, Mathern GW, Simpson RK, Walker F, Sutton JP, Hubble JP, and Jankovic J. Vagus nerve stimulation for essential tremor: A pilot efficacy and safety trial. Neurology, 2003, 61:1401-1405.
- Stables JP, Bertram E, Dudek FE, Holmes G, Mathern G, Pitkanen A, and White HS. Therapy discovery for pharmacoresistant epilepsy and for disease-modifying therapeutics: Summary of the NIH/NINDS/AES Models II workshop. Epilepsia, 2003, 44(12):1472-1478.
- Cook SW, Nguyen ST, Hu B, Yudovin S, Shields WD, Vinters HV, Van de Wiele BM, Harrison RE, and Mathern GW. Cerebral hemispherectomy for pediatric epilepsy patients: A comparison of three techniques by pathologic substrate in 115 patients. J Neurosurgery: (Pediatrics 2), 2004, 100:125-141.
- Wieser HG, Albayram, S, Andermann E, Andermann F, Avanzini G, Bartolomei F, Blumcke I, Boon PAJM, Bottini G, Chauvel P, Cendes, F, Colombo N, de Lanorelle N, Engel J, Eskazan E, Halasz P, Hauser WA, Helmstaedter C, Heinemann U, Henry TR, Jackson GD, Knowlton RC, Luders HO, Mai R, Mathern GW, Mody I, Moshe SL, Onat FY, Ozkara C, Taylor DC, Spreafico R, Spencer DD, Spencer SS. Sperling MR, Stefan H, Paesschen WV, Vinters HV, Wilson C. Mesial temporal lobe epilepsy with hippocampal sclerosis: ILAE commission report. Epilepsia, 2004, 45(6):695-714.
- Koh S, Nguyen S, Asarnow RF, LoPresti C, Yudovin S, Shields WD, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Five or greater acute postoperative seizures predict hospital course and long-term seizure control after hemispherectomy. Epilepsia, 2004, 45:527-533.
- André V, Flores-Hernandez J, Cepeda C, Starling AJ, Nguyen S, Lobo MK, Vinters HV, Levine MS, and Mathern GW. NMDA receptor alterations in neurons from pediatric cortical dysplasia tissue. Cerebral Cortex, 2004, 14:634-646. Epub March 28, 2004.
- Jonas R, Nguyen S, Hu B, Asarnow RF, LoPresti C, Curtiss S, de Bode S, Yudovin S, Shields WD, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Cerebral hemispherectomy: Hospital course, seizure, developmental, language, and motor outcomes. Neurology, 2004, 62:1712-1721.
- Andres M, André VA, Nguyen S, Salamon N, Cepeda C, Levine MS, Leite JP, Neder L, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Human cortical dysplasia & epilepsy: an ontogenetic hypothesis based on volumetric MRI and NeuN neuronal density & size measurements. Cerebral Cortex, 2005, 15:194-210. Epub August5, 2004.
- Jonas R, Asarnow RF, LoPresti C, Yudovin S, Koh S, Wu JY, Sankar R, Shields WD, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Surgery for infant-onset epileptic encephalopathy with and without infantile spasms. Neurology, 2005, 64:746-750.
- de Bode S, Firestine A, Mathern GW, and Dobkin B. Residual motor control and cortical representations of function following hemispherectomy: the effects of etiology. J Child Neurol., 2005, 20:64-75.
- Cepeda C, André VM, Flores-Hernandez J, Nguyen OK, Wu N, Klapstein GJ, Nguyen S, Koh S, Vinters HV, Levine MS, and Mathern GW. Pediatric Cortical Dysplasia: Correlations between neuroimaging, electrophysiology and location of cytomegalic neurons and balloon cells, and glutamate/GABA synaptic circuits. Developmental Neuroscience, 2005, 27:59-76.
- Cepeda C, André VM, Vinters HV, Levine MS, and Mathern GW. Are cytomegalic neurons and balloon cells generators of epileptic activity in pediatric cortical dysplasia? Epilepsia, 2005, 46(Suppl. 5):1-7.
- Koh S, Mathern GW, Glasser G, Wu JY, Shields WD, Jonas R, Yudovin S, Cepeda C, Salamon N, Vinters HV, and Sankar R. Status epilepticus and frequent seizures: Incidence and clinical characteristics in pediatric epilepsy surgery patients. Epilepsia, 2005, 46:1950-1954.
- Leppik IE, Kelly K, de Toledo-Morrell L, Patrylo PR, DeLorenzo RJ, Mathern GW, and White HS. Review: Basic research in epilepsy and aging. Epilepsy Research, 2006, 68(Suppl 1):27-37. Epub December 27, 2005.
- Salamon N, Andres M, Chute DJ, Nguyen ST, Chang JW, Huynh MN, Chandra PS, Andre VM, Cepeda C, Levine MS, Leite JP, Neder L, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Contralateral hemimicrencephaly and clinical-pathologic correlations in children with hemimegalencephaly. Brain, 2006, 129(Pt 2):352-365. Epub November 15, 2005.
- Wu JY, Sutherling WW, Koh S, Salamon N, Jonas R, Yudovin S, Sankar R, Shields WD, and Mathern GW. Magnetic source imaging localizes epileptogenic zone in children with tuberous sclerosis complex. Neurology, 2006, 66:1270-1272.
- Cross JH, Jayakar P, Nordli D, Delalande O, Duchowny M, Wieser HG, Guerrini R, and Mathern GW. Proposed criteria for referral and evaluation of children for epilepsy surgery: Recommendations of the sub-commission paediatric epilepsy surgery. Epilepsia, 2006, 47:952-959.
- Akhtari M, Salamon N, Duncan R, Fried I, and Mathern GW. Electrical conductivities of the freshly excised cerebral cortex in epilepsy surgery patients: correlation with pathology, seizure duration, and diffusion tensor imaging. Journal of Brain Topography, 2006, 18:281-90. Epub July 21, 2006.
- Cepeda C, Andre VM, Levine MS, Salamon N, Miyata H, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Epileptogenesis in pediatric cortical dysplasia: The dysmature cerebral developmental hypothesis. Epilepsy & Behavior, 2006, 9:219-235. Epub July 26, 2006.Recognized and Awarded in July 2011 by Elsevier as one of the Top-5 most cited articles in Epilepsy & Behavior from 2006 to 2010.
- Chandra PS, Salamon N, Huang J, Wu JY, Koh S, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. FDG-PET/MRI co-registration and diffusion-tensor imaging distinguish epileptogenic tubers and cortex in patients with tuberous sclerosis complex: A preliminary report. Epilepsia, 2006, 47:1543-9. Epub August 29, 2006.
- Huang SY, Wolahan S, Mathern GW, Chute DJ, Akhtari M, Nguyen ST, Huynh MN, Salamon N, and Lin Y-Y. Improving MRI differentiation of gray and white matter in epileptogenic lesions based on nonlinear feedback. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2006, 56:776-786. Epub August 29, 2006.
- Chandra PS, Salamon N, Nguyen ST, Chang JW, Huynh MN, Cepeda C, Leite JP, Neder L, Koh S, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Infantile spasms-associated microencephaly in tuberous sclerosis complex and cortical dysplasia. Neurology, 2007, 68:438-445.
- de Bode S, Sininger Y, Healy EW, Mathern GW, and Zaidel E. Dichotic listening after cerebral hemispherectomy: Methodological and theoretical observations. Neuropsychologia, 2007 45:2461-2466. Epub 8 April 2007.
- Andre VM, Wu N, Yamazaki I, Nguyen ST, Fisher RS, Vinters HV, Mathern GW, Levine MS, and Cepeda C. Cytomegalic interneurons: a new abnormal cell type in severe pediatric cortical dysplasia. Journal Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, 2007, 66:491-504.
- Mathern GW, Andres M, Salamon N, Chandra PS, Andre VM, Cepeda C, Levine M, Leite JP, Neder L, and Vinters HV. A hypothesis regarding the pathogenesis and epileptogenesis of pediatric cortical dysplasia and hemimegalencephaly based on MRI cerebral volumes and NeuN cortical cell densities. Epilepsia, 2007, 48(Suppl. 5):74-78.
- Cepeda, C, Andre VM, Wu N, Yamazaki I, Uzgil B, Vinters HV, Levine MS, and Mathern GW. Immature neurons and networks may contribute to epileptogenesis in pediatric cortical dysplasia. Epilepsia, 2007,48(Suppl. 5):79-85.
- de Bode S, Mathern GW, Bookheimer S, and Dobkin B. Locomotor Training Remodels fMRI Sensorimotor Cortical Activations in Children after Cerebral Hemispherectomy. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, 2007, 21: 497-508. Epub March 16, 2007.
- Staba RJ, Frighetto L, Behnke EJ, Mathern GW, Fields T, Bragin A, Ogren J, Fried I, Wilson CL, and Engel J Jr. Increased fast ripple to ripple ratios correlate with reduced hippocampal volumes and neuron loss in temporal lobe epilepsy patients. Epilepsia, 2007, 48:2130-2138. Epub: July 28, 2007.
- Harvey AS, Cross JH, Shinnar S, Mathern GW, and the Paediatric Epilepsy Surgery Survey Taskforce. Defining the spectrum of international practice in pediatric epilepsy surgery patients. Epilepsia, 2008, 49:146-155. Epub: November 27, 2007.
- Andre VM, Cepeda C, Vinters HV, Huyhn M, Mathern GW, and Levine MS. Pyramidal cell responses togamma-aminobutyric acid differ in Type I and Type II cortical dysplasia. Journal of Neuroscience Research, 2008, 86: 3151-3162. Epub: 8 July 2008
- Wu JY, Koh S, Sankar R, and Mathern GW. Paroxysmal fast activity: an interictal scalp EEG marker of epileptogenesis in children. Epilepsy Research, 2008, 82: 101-108. Epub: 18 September 2008.
- Salamon N, Kung J, Shaw SJ, Koo J, Koh S, Wu JY, Learner JT, Sankar R, Shields WD, Engel Jr J, Fried I, Miyata H, Yong WH, Vinters HV and Mathern GW. FDG-PET/MRI Co-registration improves detection of cortical dysplasia in epilepsy patients. Neurology, 2008, 71(20):1594-1601.
- Lerner JT, Salamon N, Hauptman JS, Velasco TR, Hemp M, Wu JY, Sankar R, Shields WD, Engel Jr J, Fried I, Cepeda C, Andre VM, Levine MS, Miyata H, Yong WH, Vinters HV and Mathern GW. Assessment and surgical outcomes for mild Type I and severe Type II cortical dysplasia: A critical review and the UCLA experience. Epilepsia, 2009, 50:1310-1335. Epub: 21 January 2009.
- De Bode S, Fritz S, Weir-Haynes K, and Mathern GW. Constraint-induced movement therapy for individuals after cerebral hemispherectomy-functional and imaging results: a case series. Physical Therapy (PTJ), 2009, 89:361-9. Epub: 26 February 2009.
- Wirenfeldt M, Clare R, Tung S, Bottini A, Mathern GW, and Vinters HV. Increased activation of Iba1+ microglia in pediatric epilepsy patients with Rasmussen’s encephalitis compared with cortical dysplasia and tuberous sclerosis complex. Neurobiology of Disease, 2009, 34:432-40. Epub: 10 March 2009.
- Khanlou N, Mathern GW, Mitchell WG, Pope W, Yong WH, and Vinters HV. Cortical dysplasia with prominent Rosenthal fiber formation in a case of intractable pediatric epilepsy. Human Pathology, 2009, 40:1200-4. Epub: 7 May 2009.
- Mathern GW. Challenges in the surgical treatment of epilepsy patients with cortical dysplasia. Epilepsia, 2009, 50(Suppl. 9):45-50.
- Berg AT, Mathern GW, Bronen RA, Fulbright RK, DiMario F, Testa FM, and Levy SR. Frequency, prognosis, and surgical treatment of MRI structural abnormalities in childhood epilepsy. Brain, 2009, 132:2785-97. Epub: 28 July 2009.
- Mehta RI, Cutler AR, Yong WH, Lerner JT, Hirota BK, Lasky J, Salamon N, Mathern GW, and Vinters HV. “Primary” leptomeningeal medulloblastoma: a case report and review of the literature. Human Pathology, 2009, 40:1661-5. Epub: 19 August 2009.
- Kwan P, Arzimanoglou A, Berg AT, Brodie MJ, Hauser WA, Mathern GW, Moshe SL, Perucca E, Wiebe S, and French J. Definition of drug resistant epilepsy: consensus proposal by the ad hoc task force of the ILAE commission on therapeutic strategies. Epilepsia, 2010, 51:1069-1077. Epub: 3 November 2009. PMID: 19889013. Republished in German in Aktuelle Neurologie, 37(8):372-381, 2010.
- Wu JY, Salamon N, Kirsch HE, Mantle MM, Nagarajan SS, Kurelowech L, Aung MH, Sankar R, Shields, WD, and Mathern GW. Non-invasive testing and early epilepsy surgery linked with seizure freedom in tuberous sclerosis complex. Neurology, 2010, 74:392-298. PMID: 20124204
- Berg AT, Berkovic SF, Brodie M, Buchhalter J, Cross JH, van Emde Boas W, Engel Jr J, French J, Glauser TA, Mathern GW, Moshe SL, Nordli Jr D, Plouin P, and Scheffer IE. Revised terminology and concepts for organization of seizures and epilepsies: Report of the Commission on Classification and Terminology, 2005-2009. Epilepsia, 2010, 51:676-685. Epub 26 Feb 2010. PMID: 20196795 Republished in German in Aktuelle Neurologie, 37(3):120-130, 2010.
- Hemb M, Velasco TR, Parnes MS, Wu JY, Lerner JT, Matsumoto JH, Sudovin S, Shields WD, Sankar R, Salamon N, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Improved outcomes in pediatric epilepsy surgery: the UCLA experience 1986 to 2008. Neurology, 2010, 74:1768-75. Epub: 28 April 2010. PMID: 20427752
- Cepeda C, Andre VM, Yamazaki I, Hauptman JS, Chen JY, Vinters HV, Mathern GW, and Levine MS. Comparative study of cellular and synaptic abnormalities in brain tissue samples from pediatric tuberous sclerosis complex and cortical dysplasia type II. Epilepsia, 2010, 51(Suppl. 3):160-165. PMID: 20618424
- Andre VM, Cepeda C, Vinters HV, Huynh M, Mathern GW, and Levine MS. Interneurons, GABA currents, and subunit composition of the GABA-A receptor in Type I and Type II cortical dysplasia. Epilepsia, 2010, 51(Suppl. 3):166-170.PMID: 20618425
- Akhtari M, Mandelkern M, Bui D, Salamon N, Vinters HV and Mathern GW. Variable anisotropic brain conductivities in epileptogenic foci. Brain Topography, 2010, 23:292-300. Epub: 4 May 2010. PMID: 20440549
- Thom M, Mathern GW, Cross JH, and Bertram EH. Mesial temporal lobe epilepsy: How do we improve surgical outcome? Annals of Neurology, 2010, 68:424-434. PMID: 20976764
- Qin W, Chan JA, Vinters HV, Mathern GW, Franz DA, Taillon BE, Bouffard P, and Kwiatkowski DJ. Analysis of TSC cortical tubers by deep sequencing of TSC1, TSC2, KRAS demonstrates that small second hit mutations in these genes are rare events. Brain Pathology, 2010, 20:1096-105. Epub: 13 July 2010. PMID: 20633017
- Wu JY, Sankar R, Lerner JT, Matsumoto JH, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Removing interictal fast ripples on electrocorticography linked with seizure freedom in children. Neurology, 2010, 75:1686-94. Epub: 6 October 2010. PMID: 20926787
- Blumcke I, Thom M, Aronica E, Armstrong D, Vinters HV, Palmini A, Jacques TS, Avanzini G, Barkovich AJ, Battaglia G, Becker A, Cepeda C, Cendes F, Colombo N, Crino P, Cross JH, Delalande O, Dubeau F, Duncan J, Guerrini R, Kahane P, Mathern G, Najim I, Ozkara C, Raybaud C, Represa A, Roper S, Salamon N, Schulze-Bonhage A, Tassi L, Vezzani A, and Spreafico R. The clinico-pathological spectrum of Focal Cortical Dysplasias: A consensus classification system proposed by an ad hoc task force of the ILAE Diagnostic Commission. Epilepsia, 2011, 52:158-174. Epub: 10 November 2010. PMID: 21219302
- Velasco TR, Wichert-Ana L, Mathern GW, Walz AR, Bianchin MM, Dalmagro C, Leite JP, Santos AC, Assirati JA, Carlotti Jr CG, and Sakamoto AC. Utility of ictal SPECT in MTLE with hippocampal sclerosis: a randomized trial. Neurosurgery, 2011, 68:431-436. Epub: 25 November, 2010. PMID: 21135733
- Fritz SL, Rivers ED, Merlo AM, Reed A, Mathern GW, and DeBode S. Intensive mobility training post cerebral hemispherectomy: Early surgery shows best improvements. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2011 Dec;47(4):569-77. Epub: 20 April 2011. PMID: 21508919
- Cepeda C, Andre VM, Hauptman JS, Yamazaki I, Huynh MN, Chang JW, Chen JY, Fisher RS, Vinters HV, Levine MS, and Mathern GW. Enhanced GABAergic network and receptor function in pediatric cortical dysplasia Type IIB compared with Tuberous Sclerosis Complex. Neurobiology of Disease, 2012 Jan;45(1):310-21. Epub: 23 August 2011. PMID: 21889982
- Engel J, McDermott MP, Wiebe S, Langfitt JT, Stern JM, Dewar S, Sperling MR, Gardiner I, Erba G, Fried I, Jacobs M, Vinters HV, Mintzer S, Kieburtz K for the Early Randomized Surgical Epilepsy Trial (ERSET) Study Group. Early surgical therapy for drug-resistant temporal lobe epilepsy. JAMA, 2012, 307:922-931. PMID: 22396514
- DeBode S, Fritz S, and Mathern GW. Cerebral hemispherectomy: Sensory scores before and after Intensive Mobility Training. Brain & Development, 2012, 34:625-631. Epub: 1 December 2011. PMID: 22137579. PMID: 22137579
- Wagner AS, Yin N, Tung S, Mathern GW, and Vinters HV. Intimal thickening of meningeal arteries after serial corticectomies for Rasmussen’s encephalitis. Human Pathology, 2012 Aug;43(8):1308-13. Epub 2012 Mar 7. PMID: 22401768
- Lee JH, Huynh M, Silhavy JL, Kim S, Dixon-Salazar T, Heiberg A, Scott E, Bafna V, Hill KH, Collazo A, Funari V, Russ C, Gabriel SB, Mathern GW, and Gleeson JG. De novo somatic mutations of the P13K-AKT3-mTOR pathway in hemimegalencephaly. Nature-Genetics, 2012, Jun 24;44(8):941-5. Epub: 25 June 2012. PMID: 22729223
- Hauptman JS, Salamon N, and Mathern GW. Neuroimaging in the definition and organization of the epilepsies: We’re not there yet. Epilepsia, 2012, 53(Suppl. 2):22-27. PMID: 22765501
- Hauptman JS, and Mathern GW. Surgical treatment of epilepsy from cortical dysplasia: 2012 update. Epilepsia, 2012, 53(Suppl.4):98-104.
- Chang JW, Arnold MM, Rozenbaum A, Caputo A, Schweizer FE, Huynh M, Mathern GW, Sarafian T, and Watson JB. Synaptoneurosome micromethod for fractionation of mouse and human brain, and primary neuronal cultures. J Neuroscience Methods, 2012, 211:289-295.
- Hauptman JS, Pedram K, Sison CA, Sankar R, Salamon N, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Pediatric epilepsy surgery: Five-year seizure remission and medications usage. Neurosurgery, 2012, 71:985-93. EPub: 14 August 2012. PMID: 22895408
- Hauptman JS and Mathern GW. Vagal nerve stimulation for pharmacoresistant epilepsy in children. Surg Neurol Int, 2012, 3:S269-74. EPub: October 31, 2012. PMID: 22946727
- Austin JK, Hesdorffer DC, Liverman CT, Schultz AM, and the Testimony Group. Testimonies submitted for the Institute of Medicine report. Epilepsy & Behavior, 2012, 25:634-661. EPub: 14 November 2012. PMID: 23158808.
- Hauptman JS, Dadour A, Oh T, Baca CB, Vickrey BG, Vassar S, Sankar R, Salamon N, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Sociodemographic changes over 25 years in pediatric epilepsy surgery at UCLA. J Neurosurg-Pediatrics, 2013, 11(3):250-255. EPub: 16 January 2013. PMID: 23331214.
- Lew SM, Matthews AE, Hartman AL, Haranhalli N, on behalf of the Post-Hemispherectomy Hydrocephalus Workgroup. Posthemispherectomy hydrocephalus: Results of a comprehensive, multiinstitutional review. Epilepsia, 2013, 54:383-9. Epub: 25 Oct 2012. PMID: 23106378.
- Baek ST, Gibbs EM, Gleeson JG, and Mathern GW. Hemimegalencephaly, a paradigm for somatic postzygotic neurodevelopmental disorders. Current Opinion in Neurology, 2013, 26:122-127.PMID: 23449172
- Baca C, Vickrey BG, Vassar SD, Hauptman JS, Dadour A, Oh T, Salamon N, Vinters HV, Sankar R, and Mathern GW. Time to pediatric epilepsy surgery is related to disease severity and non-clinical factors. Neurology, 2013, 80:1231-1239. PMID: 23468549
- Akhtari M, Pope W, Mathern GW, Moats R, Frew A, and Mandelkern M. Functionalized magnetonamoparticles in visualization of intracranial tumors on MRI. Molecular Imaging & Biology, 2013, 15(3):299-306. Epub: 27 Nov 2012. PMID: 23184607
- Phung J, Mathern GW, Krogstad P. Timing and predictors of fever and infection after craniotomy for epilepsy in children. Ped Inf. Dis J. 2013; 32:450-459. EPub January 23, 2013: PMID: 23348815.
- Hauptman JS, Dadour A, Oh T, Baca CB, Vickrey BG, Vassar S, Sankar R, Salamon N, Vinters HV, and Mathern GW. Time to pediatric epilepsy surgery is longer and developmental outcomes lower for government compared with private insurance. Neurosurgery, 2013, 73:152-7. Epub 14 May 2013. PMID: 23615092.
- Sarafian TA, Ryan CM, Souda P, Masliah E, Kar UK, Vinters, HV, Mathern GW, Faull KF, Whitelegge JP, and Watson J. Impairment of mitochondria in adult mouse brain overexpressing predominantly full-length, N-terminally acetylated human alpha-synuclein. PLOS One, 2013 May 7;8(5):e63557. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0063557. PMID: 23667637
- Blümcke I, Thom M, Aronica E, Armstrong DD, Bartolomei F, Bernasconi A, Bernasconi N, G. Bien CG, Cendes F, Coras R, Cross JH, Jacques TS, Kahane P, Mathern GW, Miyata H, Moshé SL, Oz B, Özkara C, Perucca E, Sanjay Sisodiya S, Wiebe S, and Spreafico R. International consensus classification of hippocampal sclerosis in temporal lobe epilepsy: A task force report from the ILAE commission on diagnostic methods. Epilepsia, 2013, 54:1315-29. Epub 2013 May 20.PMID: 23692496
- Owens GC, Huynh M, Chang JW, McArthur D, Hickey MJ, Vinters HV, Mathern GW, and Kruse CA. Differential expression of interferon-γ and chemokine genes distinguishes Rasmussen encephalitis from cortical dysplasia and indicates an early Th1 response. Journal of Neuroinflammation, 2013, May 2;10:56. doi: 10.1186/1742-2094-10-56.PMID: 23639073.
- Phung J, Krogstad P, and Mathern GW. Etiology associated with developing posthemispherectomy hydrocephalus after resection-disconnection procedures. Journal of Neurosurgery, Pediatrics, 2013, 12:469-75. Epub: Sep 6. PMID: 24011367
- Phung J, Krogstad P, and Mathern GW. Fevers and abnormal blood and CSF studies after pediatric hemispherectomy: Impact of etiology and age at surgery. Journal of Neurosurgery, Pediatrics, 2013, 12:595-603. Epub: 11 October 2013. PMID: 24116983
- Rosenow F, Alonso-Vanegas MA, Baumgartner C, Blumcke I, Carreno M, Gizewski ER, Hamer HM, Knake S, Kahane P, Luders HO, Mathern GW, Menzler K, Miller J, Otsuki T, Ozkara C, Pitkanen A, Roper SN, Sakamoto AC, Sure U, Walker M, Steinhoff RJ for the Surgical Task Force, Commission on Therapeutic Strategies of the ILAE. Cavernoma-related epilepsy: Review and recommendations for management-Report of the Surgical Task Force of the ILAE Commission on Therapeutic Strategies. Epilepsia, 2013, 54:2025-35. Epub: 16 October 2013. PMID: 24134485. Response Letter published Epilepsia 2014 Mar;55:466-7
- Cepeda C, Chen JY, Wu JY, Fisher RS, Vinters HV, Mathern GW, and Levine MS. Pacemaker GABA Synaptic Activity May Contribute to Network Synchronization in Pediatric Cortical Dysplasia. Neurobiology of Disease, 2014, 62:208-17. Epub: 10 October 2013. PMID: 24121115
- Varadkar S, Bien CG, Kruse CA, Jensen F, Bauer J, Pardo CA, Vincent A, Mathern GW, and Cross HJ. Rasmussen’s encephalitis: present understanding and treatment advances. The Lancet-Neurology, 2014 13:195-205. PMID: 24457189
- Lewis DV, Shinnar S, Hesdorffer DC, Bagiella E, Bello JA, Chan S, Xu Y, MacFall J, Gomes WA, Moshe SL, Mathern GW, Pellock JM, Nordli DR, Frank LM, Provenzale J, Shinnar RC, Epstein LG, Masur D, Litherland C, Sun S, and FEBSTAT study team. Hippocampal sclerosis after childhood febrile status epilepticus: The FEBSTAT study. Annals of Neurology, 2014, 75:178-85. EPub: Dec 7,2013. PMID:24318290
- Jayakar P, Gaillard WD, Tripathi M, Libenson M, Mathern GW, Cross JH, on behalf of the Task Force for Paediatric Epilepsy Surgery. Diagnostic Test Utilization in Evaluation for Resective Epilepsy Surgery in Children. Epilepsia, 2014, 55:507-18. EPub: Feb 11, 2014. PMID: 24512473
- Fisher RS, Acevedo C, Arzimanoglou A, Fressola AB, Cross H, Elger, CE, Engel J, Forsgren L, French J, Glynn M, Hesdorffer D, Lee BI, Mathern GW, Moshe SL, Perucca E, Scheffer IE, Tomson T, Watanabe M, Wiebe S. An Operational Clinical Definition of Epilepsy. Epilepsia, 2014, 55:475-82. EPub: 14 April, 2014. PMID:24730690
- Abdijadid S, Mathern GW, Levine MS, Cepeda C. Basic mechanisms of epileptogenesis in pediatric cortical dysplasia. CNS Neuroscience and Therapeutics, 2014, in press.
- D’Gama AM, Geng Y, Couto JA, LaCoursiere CM, Hossain A, Hatem N, Barry BJ, Kwiatkowski DJ, Vinters HV, Shendure J, Mathern GW, Walsh CA, Poduri A. Mutations in DEPDC5 cause hemimegalencephaly and focal cortical dysplasia. Submitted.
- Cepeda C, Chang JW, Owens GC, Huynh MN, Chen JY, Tran C, Vinters HV, Levine MS, and Mathern GW. In Rasmussen encephalitis, hemichannels associated with microglial activation are linked to cortical pyramidal neuron coupling: A possible mechanism for cellular hyperexcitability. CNS Neuroscience and Therapeutics, 2014, in press.
- DeBode S, Dubinsky S, Chanturidze M, Smets L, and Mathern GW. Reading and phonological processing by the isolated right hemisphere. Submitted.
- Hauptman J, Cepeda C, Antonios J, Mathern GW, and Levine M. Rapamycin rescues electrophysiological alterations produced by conditional Pten deletion in mouse Cortex. Submitted.
- Stevens C, Mathern GW, Pass T, et al: Isolation of Histoplasma capsulatum from soils in the State of Kentucky. Washington, D.C., National Science Foundation Student Originated Project, 1977.
- Mathern GW, Martin NA, Becker DP: Cerebral Ischemia: Clinical Pathophysiology. In: Critical Care State of the Art. Volume 8. Cora FB, Shoemaker WC (Eds). Fullerton, CA Society of Critical Care Medicine, 1987, pp. 13-41.
- Mathern GW, Peacock WJ: Diastematomyelia. In: Spinal Dysraphism. Park TS (Ed.). New York, Blackwell Scientific, 1992, pp. 91-103.
- Mathern GW, Babb TL, Armstrong DL. Hippocampal sclerosis. In: Epilepsy: A Comprehensive Textbook. Engel J, and Pedley TA (Eds.), New York, Lippincott-Raven, 1997, pp. 133-155.
- Mathern GW. Hippocampal pathology in children with severe epilepsy. In: Paediatric Epilepsy Syndromes and Their Surgical Treatment. Tuxhorn I, Holthausen H, and Boenigk HE (Eds.), London, John Libbey & Company Ltd, 1997, pp. 234-241.
- Mathern GW. Hippocampal pathophysiology in experimental models. In: The Epilepsies: Etiologies and Prevention. Kotagal P, and Lüders HO (Eds.), New York, Academic Press, 1998, pp. 149-166.
- Mathern GW, Pretorius JK, Leite JP, Adelson PD. Hippocampal neuropathology in children with severe epilepsy. In: Childhood Epilepsies and Brain Development. Nehlig A, Motte J, Moshe SL, Plouin P, (Eds.), London, John Libbey & Co., Ltd., 1999, pp. 171-185.
- Katzir H, Mathern GW. The effects of theophylline and trimethobenzamide on status duration and hippocampal pathology in rats. The UCLA Undergraduate Science Journal, 1999, 12:47-53.
- Mathern GW; Guest Editor. Pediatric Epilepsy and Epilepsy Surgery. Developmental Neuroscience, 1999; 21(3-5):163-406.
- Moshe SL, Engel J Jr, Mathern GW, Nehlig A, Pitkanen A, Vezzani A (Editors). Brain Plasticity and Epilepsy: Papers presented at the Fifth Workshop on the Neurobiology of Epilepsy (WONOEP V). Epilepsia, 2000; 41(Suppl. 6):S1-S205.
- Crandall PH, Mathern GW. Surgery for lesional temporal lobe epilepsy. In: Epilepsy Surgery, Second Edition. Lüders HO and Comair Y (Eds.), Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2001, pp. 653-665.
- Caplan R, Siddarth P, Mathern GW, Vinters HV, Curtiss S, Levitt J, Asarnow R, Shields WD. Developmental outcome with and without successful intervention. In: Epilepsy, Infantile Spasms, and Developmental Encephalopathy. Schwartzkroin P and Rho J (Eds.), International Review of Neurobiology, V.49, San Diego, Academic Press, 2002, pp. 269-284.
- De Vera A, Mathern GW. Age-dependent mossy fiber sprouting and adult-like hippocampal pathologies found in pediatric generalized and temporal epilepsy cases. The UCLA Undergraduate Science Journal, 2002, 15:45-50.
- Nguyen S, Huynh M, Mathern GW. Effects of theophylline on the cerebral blood flow during kainate-induced status epilepticus. The UCLA Undergraduate Science Journal, 2002, 15:77-80
- Mathern GW. Book Review: Epilepsy Surgery: Case Studies & Commentaries by Kost Elisevich & Brien J. Smith. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2002. Acta Neurol Scand, 2003, 107(4):307-308.
- Najm I, Ying Z, Babb T, Crino PB, MacDonald R, Mathern GW, and Spreafico R. Mechanisms of epileptogenicity in cortical dysplasia. Neurology, 2004, 62(6 Suppl 3):S9-S13.
- Patwardhan R, Mathern GW. Surgical treatment of therapy-resistant epilepsy. Continuum: Lifelong Learning in Neurology: Epilepsy 2004; 10(4):100-118.
- Mathern GW. Animal model development based on the human epilepsies: Which causes and syndromes should be modeled? In: Models of Seizures and Epilepsy. Pitkanen A, Schwartzkroin, PA, Moshe SL (Eds.), San Diego, Elsevier Inc., 2005, pp. 653-658.
- Hauptman J, Chandra SP and Mathern GW. Pediatric epilepsy neurosurgery. In: Gilman S, editor. MedLink Neurology. San Diego: MedLink Corporation. Available at www.medlink.com. Accessed February 26, 2006. 1st update February 2007. 2nd update August 2008. 3rd Update October 2009. 4th Update March 2011.
- Mathern GW. Book Review: Magnetic Resonance in Epilepsy by Ruben I Kuzniecky & Graeme D Jackson. San Diego: Academic Press. Surg Neurol, 2006, 65:525.
- Mathern GW. Hippocampal reactive synaptogenesis from status epilepticus. In: Status epilepticus: Mechanisms and Management, Wasterlain, CL, Treiman DM (Eds.), Cambridge, MIT Press, 2006, pp. 441-460.
- Stafstrom CE, Moshe, SL, Swann JW, Nehlig A, Jacobs MP, Schwartzkroin PA, Baraban SC, Baram TZ, Blumberg MS, Brooks-Kayal A, Holmes GL, Jensen FE, Johnston M, Kolb B, Mathern GW, Noebels JL, Patel MN, Ross M, Sanchez RM, Sankar R, Silverstein F, Snead OC, Spreafico R, Velisek L, Wasterlain CG, and Wilcox KS. ILAE Workshop report: Models of pediatric epilepsies: Strategies and Opportunities. Epilepsia, 2006, 47:1407-1414.
- Mathern GW, Trevathan E. Editorial: Childhood onset temporal lobe epilepsy: Neuroimaging predicts seizure control. Neurology, 2006, 67(112):2117-8.
- Mathern GW. Book Review: Evidence-Based Neurosurgery; An Introduction by Stephen J. Haines & Beverly C. Walters, eds. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers. Surg Neurol, 2007, 67:107.
- Holmes, GL, Stafstrom CE, Baraban SC, Bertram EH, Bolton P, Brooks-Kayal, A, Chugani HT, Coulter D, Crino P, deLanerolle NC, Devinsky O, Jacobs M, Jensen FE, Kapur J, Khazipov R, Kirchstein T, Lonsdale J, Mathern G, Riviello J, Sahin M, Sands T, Sankar R, Schauwecker P, Staley K, Talos D, Thiele E, Taylor N, Dunigan C, Whittemore VH. Tuberous sclerosis complex and epilepsy: recent developments and future challenges. Epilepsia, 2007, 48:617-630
- Mathern GW. Book Review: Epilepsy Surgery Principles and Controversies by John W. Miller and Daniel L. Silbergeld. New York: Taylor & Francis Group. Neurology, 2007, 68 (May 29), 1960.
- Mathern GW, Wilson C, Beck H. Hippocampal sclerosis. In: Epilepsy: A Comprehensive Textbook; 2nd Edition. Engel J, and Pedley TA (Eds.), Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008, pp. 121-136.
- Vinters HV, Miyata H, Khanlou N, Salamon N, Mathern GW. Neuropathology of developmental disorders associated with epilepsy. In: Epilepsy: A Comprehensive Textbook; 2nd Edition. Engel J, and Pedley TA (Eds.), Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008, pp. 137-160.
- Mathern GW, Sperling MJ. Presurgical evaluation: General Principles and methods. In: Epilepsy: A Comprehensive Textbook; 2nd Edition. Engel J, and Pedley TA (Eds.), Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008, pp. 1771-1778.
- Duchowny M, Cross JH, Mathern GW. Special considerations for epilepsy surgery in children. In: Epilepsy: A Comprehensive Textbook; 2nd Edition. Engel J, and Pedley TA (Eds.), Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008, pp. 1949-1956.
- Mathern GW, Delalande O. Surgical treatment of therapy-resistant epilepsy in children. In: Pediatric Epilepsy: Diagnosis and Therapy, 3rd edition. Pellock JM, Bourgeois BFD, Dodson WE, Nordli DR, and Sankar R (Eds), New York, Demos Medical Publishing, 2008, 791-800.
- Mathern GW. Commentary: Byrne RW, Jobe KW, Smith MC, Kanner A, Bergen DC, Palac SM, Balabanov AJ, Ajiboye NA, Takagi I and Whisler WW. Epidural cylinder electrodes for presurgical evaluation of intractable epilepsy: technical note. Surgical Neurology, 2008, 70:160-164.
- Mathern GW. Editorial: Epilepsy surgery patients with cortical dysplasia: present and future therapeutic challenges. Neurology, 2009, 72:206-207. .
- Mathern GW. Commentary: Heller AC, Padilla RV and Mamelak AN. Complications of epilepsy surgery in the first 8 years after neurosurgical training. Surgical Neurology, 2009: 71: 637. Epub: 2 June 2008.
- Cepeda C, Andre VM, Yamazaki I, Kleiman-Weiner M, Fisher RS, Vinters HV, Levine MS, Mathern GW. Aberrant cells and synaptic circuits in pediatric epilepsy surgery patients. In: From Development to Degeneration and Regeneration of the Nervous System. Ribak CE, de la Hoz CA, Jones EG, Sahd JAL, Swanson LW, (Eds). New York, Oxford University Press, 2009, pp. 203-221.
- Cepeda C, Andre VM, Vinters HV, Mathern GW, Levine MS. Morphological and electrophysiological properties of abnormal cells in pediatric cortical dysplasia tissue. In: Encyclopedia of Basic Epilepsy Research. Schwartzkroin PA (Ed), Oxford, Academic Press, 2009, vol. 1, pp. 205-209.
- Lerner JT, Mathern GW. Animal models of infant-onset epileptic encephalopathy. In: Encyclopedia of Basic Epilepsy Research. Schwartzkroin PA (Ed), Oxford, Academic Press, 2009, vol.2, pp. 1038-1045.
- Hauptman JS, Mathern GW. Epilepsy surgery in children. In: The Treatment of Epilepsy, 3rd Edition. Shorvon S, Perucca E, Engel J Jr (Eds). Oxford, Blackwell Publishing, 2009, pp. 967-974.
- Mathern GW. Commentary: Guangming Z, Huancong Z, Wenjing Z, Guoqiang C, Ziaosong W. Should epidural drain be recommended after supratentorial craniotomy for epileptic patients? Surgical Neurology, 2009, 72:141.
- Mathern GW. Commentary: Guangming Z, Wenjing Z, Guoqiang C, Yan Z, Fuquan Z, Huancong Z. Psychiatric symptom changes after corticoamygdalohippocampectomy in patients with medial temporal lobe epilepsy through Symptom Checklist 90 Revised. Surgical Neurology, 2009, 72:591. Epub: 14 July 2009.
- Lam S, Mathern GW. Functional hemispherectomy at UCLA. In: Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery: Preoperative Assessment and Surgical Treatment. Cataltepe O, Jallo G (Eds), New York, Thieme, 2010, pp. 230-240.
- Cepeda C, Mathern GW. What have we learned from resective surgery in pediatric patients with cortical dysplasia? In: Epilepsy: Mechanisms, Models and Translational Perspectives.Rho J, Sankar R, Stafstrom CE (Eds), CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Publishing Group, 2010, pp. 297-314.
- Mathern GW. Editorial: Cerebral hemispherectomy: When half-a-brain is good enough. Neurology, 2010, 75:1578-80. PMID: 21041781
- Cepeda C, Andre VM, Vinters HV, Fisher RS, Levine MS, Mathern GW. Epileptogenesis and cortical dysplasia. In: Atlas of Epilepsies. Panayiotopoulos CP (Ed), London, Springer-Verlag, 2010, pp. 353-357.
- Velasco TR, Mathern GW. Surgical treatment of refractory temporal lobe epilepsy. In: Wyllie’s The Treatment of Epilepsy: Principles & Practice, 5th Edition. Wyllie E, Cascino G, Gidal B, Goodkin H (Eds), Philadelphia, Lippincott William & Wilkins, 2011, pp. 922-936.
- Moshe SL, Perucca E, Wiebe S, Mathern GW. The International League Against Epilepsy at the threshold of its second century: year 1. Epilepsia 2011, 52:185-87. PMID: 21219305
- Moshe SL, Perucca E, Wiebe S, Mathern GW. The International League Against Epilepsy at the threshold of its second century: year 2. Epilepsia, 2012, 53:215-219. PMID: 22221160
- Langfitt JT, Mathern GW. Editorial: The future is here: Web-based eight question tool to determine epilepsy surgery evaluation. Neurology, 2012, 79:1074-1075. EPub: 15 August 2012. PMID: 22895595
- Hauptman JS, Mathern GW. Epilepsy neurosurgery in children. In: Epilepsies: Part 2: Treatment; Handbook of Clinical Neurology, 3rd Edition. Aminoff MJ, Boller F, Swaab DF, Stefan H, Theodore W (Eds), Oxford, Elsevier, 2012, 12:881-895. PMID: 22939072
- Mathern GW. Book Review: Extratemporal Lobe Epilepsy Surgery by Mohamad Z. Koubeissi and Robert J. Maciunas. Montrouge, France: John Lippey Eurotext. Epilepsy & Behavior, 2012, 25:17.
- Engel Jr J, Mathern GW. In Memoriam: Paul H. Crandall, M.D. Neurology, 2012, 79:121-122.
- Mathern GW, Miller JW. Editorial: Outcomes for temporal lobe epilepsy operations may not be equal: A call for a RCT of ATL vs. SAH. Neurology, 2013;80:1630-1. EPub: April 3, 2013. PMID: 23553476
- Cepeda C, Andre VM, Vinters HV, Fisher RS, Levine MS, Mathern GW. Epileptogenesis and cortical dysplasia. In: The Atlas of Epilepsies. Panayiotopoulos CP (Ed), London, Springer-Verlag, 2013.
- Mathern GW, Nehlig A. Introduction of new Editors-in-Chief, Epilepsia. Epilepsia 2013, 54:1141-2. PMID: 23815570
- Nehlig A, Mathern GW. My epilepsy story: An interview with Gay Mitchell. Epilepsia. 2013,54:1711-2. PMID: 24090505
- Mathern GW, Nehlig A. Epilepsia editorial: Publications by country. Epilepsia. 2013, 54:1849-50. Epub: 3 October 2013. PMID: 24117379
- Mathern GW, Nehlig A. Editorial: Reducing stigma by changing the name of epilepsy. Epilepsia, 2014, 55:383. PMID:24628652
- Mathern GW, Nehlig A. From the Editors: Introducing Epilepsia's Controversy in Epilepsy series. Epilepsia, 2014, 55:627-8. Epub 2014 May 9. PMID:24815723
- Mathern GW, Nehlig A. Interview with Cristina Roseti, 2013 Morris-Coole/Epilepsia prize winner. Epilepsia, 2014, 55: 638-9. Epub 2014 May 16. PMID:24836351
- Mathern G, Nehlig A, Sperling M. Cannabidiol and medical marijuana for the treatment of epilepsy. Epilepsia, 2014, 55: 781-2. Epub 2014 May 22. PMID:24854631
- Mathern G, Nehlig A. From the editors: The discrepancy between accumulative incidence and lifetime prevalence of epilepsy. Epilepsia, 2014, 55:956-7 Epub 2014 Jun 25. doi: 10.1111/epi.12683. PMID:24964823
- Mathern G, Nehlig A. From the Editors: Using consciousness to describe seizures and classify the epilepsies. Epilepsia. 2014, 55:1139.Epub: 2014 Jun 30. doi: 10.1111/epi.12698. PMID:24981875
- Mathern GW, Beninsig L, Nehlig A. From the Editors: Our paper (first) anniversary and launching Epilepsia's new look. Epilepsia, 2014, 55:949-55. doi: 10.1111/epi.12684. PMID:25040631.
- Hauptman JS, Mathern GW. Cerebral Hemispherectomy for Seizures. In: Functional Neurosurgery. Cukiert A. Editor. Sao Paulo, Alaude, 2014; pp. 478-495.
- Jehi L, Mathern GW. Editorial: Who’s responsible to refer for epilepsy surgery? We all are! Neurology, 2014, in press.