Professor of Laser spectroscopy and ultrafast lasers
National Institute of Laser Enhanced Sciences, NILES
Cairo University, Egypt
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt||Bachelor||1/9/1987- 15/5/1992|
|Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt.||Master||1/9/1993 – 15/5/1996|
|Cairo University, Egypt (the experiment part and data collection done at TU, Munich, Germany)||PhD||1/9/1996 – 15/07/2000|
My research plans are devoted to ultrafast optics and photonics: nonlinear interactions of short laser light and matter using time-resolved spectroscopy for laser-pulse durations from nanosecond to few-cycle. The ultrafast pulses are characterized using autocorrelator, SPIDER, and FROG measurements. The studies include the application of laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) used in the field of analytical spectroscopy and plasma characterization, in addition to ultrafast nonlinear phenomena due to propagation of ultrafast pulses in nonlinear medium and how the interactions can be exploited for improved material characterization. The prospective plans aim to reach attosecond streaking to study transient absorption spectroscopy of ultrafast electron motion.
|Oct 2017- Now||Visiting professor at Georgia Institute of Technology, Howey School of Physics, MC 0430, 837 State Street, Office N014
Atlanta, Georgia 30332 USA.
|Ultrafast research + teaching physics optics, related laser physics subjects for undergraduate students.|
|May 2017-now (on sabbatical)||Full Professor– at the department of Laser Applications in Metrology, Photochemistry and Agriculture (LAMPA), NILES, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt.||Teaching atomic physics, laser physics, plasma physics, laser spectroscopy, ultrafast phenomena and femto-physics for graduate students + supervision of PhD and master students on laser spectroscopy applications studies.|
|2011 –Sep 2016||Associate Professor, Department of Physics of Physics and Astronomy King Saud University (KSU) , Saudi Arabia.||Teaching physics related subjects for undergraduates and graduate students + supervision of master students + PI of ultrafast laser project.|
|2010 -2011||Research associate (Associate Prof.) Department of Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology POSTECH, Pohang, south Korea.||Preform research on self-channeling of gas jets using 10 Hz 30 femto second laser pulses.|
|2008 –2016||Associate professor –sabbatical leave - at the department of Laser Applications in Metrology, Photochemistry and Agriculture (LAMPA), NILES, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt.(on sabbatical leave)||Teaching laser physics and laser spectroscopy for graduate students + Supervision of PhD and master students on LIBS applications studies.|
|2003- 2009||Assistant Prof. - academic staff member at the department of Physics, Faculty of Education for girls, Qurayate, Algouf university, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.||Teaching physics related subjects for under graduates students.|
|2000 -2003||Lecturer- at the department of Environmental, Photo Chemical and Agriculture Laser applications, NILES, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt.||Teaching laser physics and laser spectroscopy for graduate students + perform research studies on LIBS applications.|
|1999 -2000||Assistant Lecturer- at the department of Environmental Photo Chemical and Agriculture Laser applications, NILES, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt.||Teaching experimental laser physics for graduate students.|
|1996 -1999||Physics Specialist- at the department of Environmental Photo Chemical and Agriculture Laser applications, NILES, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt.||Maintenance laser equipment + teaching experimental laser physics for graduate students.|
|(2015) June-August||visiting professor at professor Rick Trebino group for ultrafast lasers, School of physics, Georgia Institute of Technology, University, Atlanta, Georgia USA.||Study nonlinear propagation of ultrafast pulses in nonlinear media and stablish simulations of FROG for 4 fs laser pulses during summer.|
|(2014) July-August||Visiting Scientist at Takayoshi Kobayashi Lab.(University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan).||Study photo chromic molecule using developed ultrafast NOPA system.|
|(2014) April||short visiting scientist at prof. Noureddine Melikechi (Delaware State University, Dover, DE 19901, USA).||initiation of collaboration in femto second -LIBS biomedical applications.|
|(2012) June – July||visiting scientist at prof. Ferenc Krausz Group at Max-Planck-Institut fuer Quantenoptik (Garching, Germany).||Setup and preparation of an atto second beamline at max-planck to be transferred to KSU.|
- Senior member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE), USA. ID#: 939832
- Senior member, The Optical Society of America (OSA), USA.# 92638495
- Member, The American Physical Society (APS), USA.# 61218544
- Member, Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers SPIE (Photonics Society) USA. # 3581083
- Member, European Society of Photobiology, Italy.
- Member, Saudi Physical Society, SPA, KSA.
- Member, The Egyptian Materials Research Society, Egypt.
I - BOOKS
- Walid Tawfik Mohamed and Jungkwuen An, and Dong Eon Kim, 2012,” Generation of Few Cycle Femtosecond Pulses via Supercontinuum in a Gas-Filled Hollow-Core Fiber” published as a chapter in book “"Optical Fibers/ Book 4 InTech , Croatia, ISBN979-953-307-653-8.
- Walid Tawfik Y. Mohamed and Mahmoud Abdel-Aty (Editor), 2007, " Recent advances in laser induced breakdown spectroscopy as elemental analytical technique for environmental applications and space exploration" book titled " Aspects of Optical Sciences and Quantum Information", Research Signpost 37/661 (2), Fort P.O., Trivandrum-695 023, Kerala, India, ISBN: 81-308-0147-7.
II - PAPERS
- Tawfik W (2016) Reaching white-light radiation source of ultrafast laser pulses with tunable peak power using nonlinear self-phase modulation in neon gas. Radiation Physics and Chemistry 125: 165-170.
- Tawfik W (2015) Precise measurement of ultrafast laser pulses using spectral phase interferometry for direct electric-field reconstruction. Journal of Nonlinear Optical Physics & Materials 24: 1550040.
- Tawfik W (2015) High-power table-top white-light few-cycle laser generator. Ukr J Phys Opt 16.3: 111.
- Tawfik W (2015) A method for controlling the bandwidth of high-energy, few-optical-cycle laser pulses tunable from the visible to the near-infrared. Ukr J Phys Opt 16: 147.
- Tawfik W (2016) Creation of Transform-Limited 120 GW Optical Pulses using Broadband Supercontinuum Generation in Optical Fiber. Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials 18: 201-206.
- Tawfik W (2016) Optimizing the optical throughput of a neon-filled hollow-core fiber for ultra-broadband sub-5 fs pulses. Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials 18: 213-219.
- Walid Tawfik (2015) Tuning the pulse duration of high intensity ultrafast laser pulses. Indian Journal of Natural Sciences 5: 30.
- Farooq WA , Tawfik W, Qasimc SB, Aldwayyana AS, Atif M (2015) Application of Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy in early detection of red palm weevil: (Rhynchophorus ferrugineus) infestation in date palm. Plasma Sci Technol 17: 850-863.
- Jarota A, Tawfik W, Takayoshi K. Investigation of the Ultrafast Dynamics of a Diarylethene -Based Photochromic Switch.
- Tawfik W, Farooq WA, Al-Mutairi FN, Alahmed ZA (2015) Monitoring of Inorganic Elements in Desert Soil Using Laser-induced Breakdown Spectroscopy. Lasers in Engineering (Old City Publishing) 32: 129-140.
- Tawfik W, Bousiakou L, Qindeel R, Farooq WA, Alonizan NH, Fatani AJ (2015) Trace analysis of heavy metals in groundwater samples using laser induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS). optoelectronics and adv materials - R comm 9: 185 - 192.
- Farooq WA, Tawfik W, Qasimc SB, Aldwayyana AS, Atif M, Ahmad K, AI-Salhi MS. Qualitative analysis of dental nano-composite restorative material using Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy and EDS analysis.
- Farooq WA, Atif M, Tawfik W, Alsalhi1 M S, Alahmed Z A, Sarfraz M, Singh J P (2014) Study of Bacterial Samples Using Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy. Plasma Science and Technology 16: 12.
- Ahmad K, Tawfik W, Farooq WA, Singh JP (2014) Analysis of alumina-based titanium carbide composites by laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Appl Phys A 116: 1-8.
- Tawfik W, Sawaf S (2014) Approaching the ppb detection limits for copper in water using laser induced breakdown spectroscopy.
- Farooq WA, Fatehmulla A, Yakuphanoglu F, Yahia IS, Ali SM, Atif M, Aslam M, Tawfik W (2014) Photovoltaic Characteristics of Solar Cells Based on Nanostructured Titanium Dioxide Sensitized with Fluorescein Sodium Salt. Theoretical and Experimental Chemistry 50: 121-126.
- Farooq WA, Tawfik W, Alahmed ZA, Ahmad K, Singh JP (2014) Role of purging gases in the analysis of polycarbonate with laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Journal of Russian Laser Research 35: 252-262.
- Qindeel R, Tawfik W (2014) Measurement of plasma characteristics of the optically generated copper plasma by laser spectroscopy technique. optoelectronics and adv materials – R. comm. 8: 741-746.
- Sawaf S, Tawfik W (2014) Analysis of heavy elements in water with high sensitivity using laser induced breakdown spectroscopy. optoelectronics and adv materials – R. comm8: 414 - 417.
- Tawfik W, Farooq WA, Alahmed ZA (2014) Damage Profile of HDPE Polymer using Laser-Induced Plasma. J Opt Soc Korea 18: 50-54.
- Farooq WA, Ali SM, Tawfik W, Fatehmullaa A, Aslama M, Al Dwayyan AS, AlSalhi MS (2014) Influence of Laser Irradiation on the Optical Properties of Nanosized Powder of Metal Oxide. Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A 88: 2446-2450.
- Farooq WA, Rasool KG, Tawfik W, Aldawood AS, Aldwayyan AS , (2014). Application of Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy in early detection of red palm weevil: (Rhynchophorus ferrugineus) infestation in date palm.
- Al-Inad T.M. , Tawfik W , Farooq WA, Aldwayyan AS (2013) LIP characteristics of nanostructured ZnO thin films.
- Farooq WA, Tawfik W, AL-Mutairi FN, Alahmed ZA (2013) Qualitative Analysis and Plasma Characteristics of Soil from a Desert Area using LIBS Technique. J Opt Soc Korea 17: 548-558.
- Farooq WA, Tawfik W, Fatehmulla A, Ali SM, Aslam M (2013) Laser irradiation effect on ZnO Nanoparticles.
- Tawfik W, Farooq WA, Alahmed ZA, M Sarfraz, Yakuphanoglu F (2013) Characterization and Analysis of Nanostructured CdO Thin Film using LIBS Technique.
- Chen G, Geng X, Tawfik W, Xu H, Mi Y, Kim J, Kim DE (2012) Ar plasma waveguide produced by a low-intensity femtosecond laser. Optics Comm 285: 2627-2631.
- Tawfik W, Chen G, Kim J, Tao GX, Ahn J, Kim DE (2011) Controlling the length of plasma waveguide up to 5 mm, produced by femtosecond laser pulses in atomic clustered gas. Optics Express 19: 15919-15928.
- Tawfik W (2008) Improved LIBS limit of detection of Be, Mg, Si, Mn, Fe and Cu in aluminum alloy samples using a portable Echelle spectrometer with ICCD camera. Journal of Optics & Laser Technology 40: 30-38.
- Tawfik W (2007) Calibration Free LIBS Identification Of seawater Salinity. Optica Applicata 37: 5-19.
- Tawfik W (2007) Fast LIBS Identification of Aluminum Alloys. Progress in Physics 2: 87-92.
- Tawfik W, Askar A (2007) study of the matrix effect on the plasma characterization of heavy elements in soil sediments using LIBS with a portable Echelle spectrometer. Progress in Physics 1: 47-53.
- Tawfik W (2007) Study of the Matrix Effect on the Plasma Characterization of Six Elements in Aluminum Alloys using LIBS with a Portable Echelle Spectrometer. Progress in Physics 2: 42-49.
- Tawfik W, Saafan A (2006) Quantitative analysis of mercury in silver dental amalgam alloy using laser induced breakdown spectroscopy with a portable Echelle spectrometer. International Journal of Pure and Applied Physics 2:195-203.
- Tawfik W (2006) Quantitative elemental analysis of seawater by laser induced breakdown spectroscopy. International Journal of Pure and Applied Physics 2: 11-21.
- Tawfik W, Omar MM, Gamal YE, Nadi LE (2005) Ultrafast moving bubbles of focused laser pulsed in water. American Institute of Physics AIP conference proceedings 748: 280-288.
- Ismail MA, Imam H, Elhassan A, Youniss WT and Harith MA (2004) LIBS limit of detection and plasma parameters of some elements in twodifferent metallic matrices. J Anal At Spectrom 19: 1-7.
- Sabsabi M, Detalle V, Harith M, Tawfik W,Imam H (2003) Comparative study of two new commercial echelle spectrometers equipped with intensified CCD for analysis of laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Applied Optics 42: 6094-6098.
- Soliman M, Tawfik W, Harith MA (2003) Quantitative elemental analysis of agricultural drainage water using laser induced breakdown spectroscopy, First Cairo conference on plasma physics & applications. 34: 240-243.
- Tawfik W, Omara MM, Gamal YE, Nadi E (1995) Bulk and surface effects in liquids due to interaction of high power pulsed laser beams. Proceeding of Femtochemistry: The Lausanna Conference Sept. 4 –8 Lausanne Switzerland, page 483-490. World scientific.