Professor of Surgery & Interventional Science
University College London
Gower St, London, UK
Phone: 020 7830 2901
|2003||PhD Doctor of Philosophy||Royal Free University College Medical School|
|1985||MSc Master of Science||University of London|
|1982||BSc Bachelor of Science||King's College London|
Alexander Marcus Seifalian (AMS)whois Professor of Nanotechnology and Regenerative Medicine and Head of Department with a multidisciplinary background from nuclear physics to physiology, nanotechnology, biomaterials, interaction of cells with nanocomposite materials as well as working on stem cells. He is based in Division of Surgery and Interventional Science.
He is Fellow of the Institute of Nanotechnology (FIoN) and Society of Biology (FSB), and has published over 460 peer-reviewed articles, 41 book chapters and 10 international patents. His current projects have led to the development of cardiovascular implants using nanomaterials and stem cell technology, development of organs using tissue engineering and nanoparticles for the detection and treatment of cancer. He was awarded the top prize in the field of nanomaterials for cardiovascular implants in 2007 by Medical Future Innovation, and in 2009 received a Business Innovation Award from UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) in the Life Sciences and Healthcare Category. He received the most innovative new product award in 2012 for the ‘synthetic trachea’ by European Life Science, Hamburg, Germany, andin 2013 was acknowledged by the international community for his outstanding achievements in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology with the prestigious Nanosmat prize award in Granada, Spain. AMS has a significant track record with regard to generating impact through the translation of technology from the laboratory directly to the clinic, and has demonstrated that nanocomposite polymers are core to the next generation of surgical implants with highly successful outcomes in a number of pioneering projects. This led to the development of the world’s firstsynthetic trachea, nasal and ear reconstruction, lacrimal duct conduit, and small diameter bypass grafts for coronary artery and vascular replacement, which has enter clinical trials, all of which have been used as first-in-man. His experience in translational research has led to a number of cutting edge projects at various stages of development. For example, we have developed abdominal aortic aneurysm(AAA) stent-grafts, cardiac patches and transcatheter heart valves at the pre-clinical stage.
- Development of Nanomaterial.
- Development of cardiovascular implant.
- Development of nanofluorescence particle including quantum dots for localisation and treatment of cancer.
- Stem cells for development of organ using tissue engineering.
- Development of organ using biodegradation nanomaterials and stem cells, including liver, intestine.
- Hepatic microcirculation and oxygenation using optical technique.
- Ischemia reperfusion injury and preconditioning.
- Director and Founder of MSc in Nanotechnology & Regenerative Medicine
- BSc, tissue engineering
- Medical student
Year 2 Cardiovascular, Tissue enginnering
Year 2 nanotechnology
Clinical year, cardiovascular
|01-OCT-2004||Professor of Nanotechnology & Regenerative Medicine||UCL Division of Surgery & Interventional Science||University College London, United Kingdom|
- Teoh, G. Z., Klanrit, P., Kasimatis, M., & Seifalian, A. M. (2015). Role of nanotechnology in development of artificial organs. Minerva Med, 106 (1), 17-33.
- Markeson, D., Pleat, J. M., Sharpe, J. R., Harris, A. L., Seifalian, A. M., & Watt, S. M. (2015). Scarring, stem cells, scaffolds and skin repair. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, 9 (6), 649-668.
- Lakhani, H. A., de Mel, A., & Seifalian, A. M. (2015). The effect of TGF-β1 and BMP-4 on bone marrow-derived stem cell morphology on a novel bioabsorbable nanocomposite material. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol, 43 (4), 230-234.
- Crowley, C., Birchall, M., & Seifalian, A. M. (2015). Trachea transplantation: from laboratory to patient. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, 9 (4), 357-367.
- Tan, A., Farhatnia, Y., Lim, J., Rajadas, J., Alavijeh, M., & Seifalian, A. (2014). A nano-inspired multifunctional polymer platform for surgical applications. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SURGERY, 101, 29.
- Chawla, R., Tan, A., Ahmed, M., Crowley, C., Moiemen, N. S., Cui, Z., . . . Seifalian, A. M. (2014). A polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane-based bilayered dermal scaffold seeded with adipose tissue-derived stem cells: in vitro assessment of biomechanical properties. J Surg Res, 188 (2), 361-372.
- Naderi, N., Wilde, C., Haque, T., Francis, W., Seifalian, A. M., Thornton, C. A., . . . Whitaker, I. S. (2014). Adipogenic differentiation of adipose-derived stem cells in 3-dimensional spheroid cultures (microtissue): implications for the reconstructive surgeon. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg, 67 (12), 1726-1734.
- Gundogan, B., Tan, A., Farhatnia, Y., Alavijeh, M. S., Cui, Z., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Bioabsorbable stent quo vadis: a case for nano-theranostics. Theranostics, 4 (5), 514-533.
- Hopley, E., Salmasi, S., Kalaskar, D. M., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Carbon Nanotubes leading the way forward in new generation 3D Tissue Engineering. Biotechnology Advances.
- Guasti, L., Vagaska, B., Bulstrode, N. W., Seifalian, A. M., & Ferretti, P. (2014). Chondrogenic differentiation of adipose tissue-derived stem cells within nanocaged POSS-PCU scaffolds: a new tool for nanomedicine. Nanomedicine, 10 (2), 279-289.
- de Mel, A., Ramesh, B., Scurr, D. J., Alexander, M. R., Hamilton, G., Birchall, M., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Cover picture: macromol. Biosci. 3/2014. Macromol Biosci, 14 (3), 299-?.
- Nayyer, L., Birchall, M., Seifalian, A. M., & Jell, G. (2014). Design and development of nanocomposite scaffolds for auricular reconstruction. Nanomedicine, 10 (1), 235-246.
- Mousavi, L., Seifalian, A. M., & Keshtgar, M. (2014). Effect of radiotherapy on new generation of breast implants using silsesquioxane nanocomposites shell. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SURGERY, 101, 24.
- Verdi, J., Tan, A., Shoae-Hassani, A., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Endometrial stem cells in regenerative medicine. J Biol Eng, 8, 20-?.
- Markeson, D., Seifalian, A. S., & Watt, S. M. (2014). Endothelial colony forming cells (ECFC) and their role in tissue engineering and wound healing - migration, 3D tubule formation and expansion. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SURGERY, 101, 5.
- Nezakati, T., Tan, A., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Enhancing the electrical conductivity of a hybrid POSS-PCL/graphene nanocomposite polymer. J Colloid Interface Sci, 435, 145-155. doi:10.1016/j.jcis.2014.08.020
- Natasha G, Gundogan, B., Tan, A., Farhatnia, Y., Wu, W., Rajadas, J., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Exosomes as immunotheranostic nanoparticles. Clin Ther, 36 (6), 820-829.
- Yaghini, E., Giuntini, F., Eggleston, I. M., Suhling, K., Seifalian, A. M., & MacRobert, A. J. (2014). Fluorescence lifetime imaging and FRET-induced intracellular redistribution of Tat-conjugated quantum dot nanoparticles through interaction with a phthalocyanine photosensitiser. Small, 10 (4), 782-792.
- de Mel, A., Ramesh, B., Scurr, D. J., Alexander, M. R., Hamilton, G., Birchall, M., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Fumed silica nanoparticle mediated biomimicry for optimal cell-material interactions for artificial organ development. Macromol Biosci, 14 (3), 307-313.
- Salmasi, S., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Intracranial aneurysms; in need of early diagnostic and treatment using bio- and nanotechnology. Curr Med Chem, 21 (37), 4300-4310.
- Junjie, Z., Kalaskar, D. M., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Intracranial Stents Past, Present and the Future Trend: Stents Made with Nano-particle or Nanocomposite Biomaterials”. Current Medicinal Chemistry: Neuronanomedicine Special Issue.
- Sedaghati, T., Jell, G., & Seifalian, A. (2014). Investigation of Schwann cell behaviour on RGD-functionalised bioabsorbable nanocomposite for peripheral nerve regeneration. N Biotechnol, 31 (3), 203-213.
- Chong, D. S., Lindsey, B., Dalby, M. J., Gadegaard, N., Seifalian, A. M., & Hamilton, G. (2014). Luminal surface engineering, 'micro and nanopatterning': potential for self endothelialising vascular grafts?. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg, 47 (5), 566-576.
- Rizvi, S. B., Rouhi, S., Taniguchi, S., Yang, S. Y., Green, M., Keshtgar, M., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Near-infrared quantum dots for HER2 localization and imaging of cancer cells. Int J Nanomedicine, 9, 1323-1337.
- Pabari, A., Lloyd-Hughes, H., Seifalian, A. M., & Mosahebi, A. (2014). Nerve conduits for peripheral nerve surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg, 133 (6), 1420-1430.
- de Mel, A., Naghavi, N., Cousins, B. G., Clatworthy, I., Hamilton, G., Darbyshire, A., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Nitric oxide-eluting nanocomposite for cardiovascular implants. J Mater Sci Mater Med, 25 (3), 917-929.
- Chong, D. S., Dalby, M., Gadegaard, N., Lindsey, B., Seifalian, A., & Hamilton, G. (2014). Plasma and Patterning: The New Focus for the Development of Nanocomposite Vascular Grafts. JOURNAL OF VASCULAR SURGERY, 59 (6), 85S.
- Yaghini, E., Pirker, K. F., Kay, C. W., Seifalian, A. M., & MacRobert, A. J. (2014). Quantification of reactive oxygen species generation by photoexcitation of PEGylated quantum dots. Small, 10 (24), 5106-5115.
- Shakib, K., Tan, A., Soskic, V., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Regenerative nanotechnology in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 52 (10), 884-893.
- Bull, E., Madani, S. Y., Sheth, R., Seifalian, A., Green, M., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Stem cell tracking using iron oxide nanoparticles. Int J Nanomedicine, 9, 1641-1653.
- Ahmed, M., Hamilton, G., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). The performance of a small-calibre graft for vascular reconstructions in a senescent sheep model. Biomaterials, 35 (33), 9033-9040.
- Griffin, M., Kalaskar, D., & seifalian, A. (2014). The use of adipose stem cells in cranial facial surgery. J. Stem Cell Reviews and Reports.
- Yildirimer, L., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Three-dimensional biomaterial degradation - Material choice, design and extrinsic factor considerations. Biotechnol Adv, 32 (5), 984-999.
- Birchall, M. A., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Tissue engineering's green shoots of disruptive innovation. Lancet, 384 (9940), 288-290.
- Kanapathy, M., Patel, N. M., Kalaskar, D., Mosahebi, A., Mehrara, B. J., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Tissue-engineered lymphatic graft for the treatment of lymphedema [Whole issue]. Journal of Surgical Research, In Press.
- Nezakati, T., Cousins, B. G., & Seifalian, A. M. (2014). Toxicology of chemically modified graphene-based materials for medical application. Arch Toxicol, 88 (11), 1987-2012.
- Asadi, M., Alamdari, D. H., Rahimi, H. R., Aliakbarian, M., Jangjoo, A., Abdollahi, A., . . . Seifalian, A. (2014). Treatment of life-threatening wounds with a combination of allogenic platelet-rich plasma, fibrin glue and collagen matrix, and a literature review. Exp Ther Med, 8 (2), 423-429.
- Tan, A., Farhatnia, Y., Goh, D., G, N., de Mel, A., Lim, J., . . . Seifalian, A. M. (2013). Surface modification of a polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane poly(carbonate-urea) urethane (POSS-PCU) nanocomposite polymer as a stent coating for enhanced capture of endothelial progenitor cells. Biointerphases, 8 (1), 23.
- Madani, S. Y., Mandel, A., & Seifalian, A. M. (2013). A concise review of carbon nanotube's toxicology. Nano Rev, 4.
- Shirvan, M. K., Alamdari, D. H., Darabi, M., Ghanadi, A., Rahimi, H., & Seifalian, A. (2013). A novel cell therapy for stress urinary incontinence, short-term outcome. BJU INTERNATIONAL, 111, 17-18.