Assistant Professor of Cellular and Molecular Biology
- The University of Texas Health Science Center
Tyler, Texas, USA
- Ph.D. (2010): Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.Research work done at Department of Molecular and Structural Biology, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow (CDRI), India. Mentor: Dr. C.M. Gupta.
- M.Sc. (2004): Biochemistry, University of Lucknow, India.
- B.Sc. (2002): Biology, Lucknow Christian College, University of Lucknow, India.
Dr. PrabodhKapoor was born, raised, and educated in Lucknow, India. He pursued his graduation in the Molecular & Structural Biology department at Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow, India. He submitted his PhD thesis with dissertation entitled “Functional and structural characterization of actin from Leishmaniadonovani” under the supervision of Dr. C.M. Gupta and obtained Doctorate degree in 2010 from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. Hethen joined the lab of Dr. Xuetong “Snow” Shen at The UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, USA as an Odyssey Fellow for his postdoctoral research training. After six years of postdoctoral training, he is now a Principal Investigatorat The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Texas, USA.
- Molecular biology
- Chromatin biology
- Actin biology
- Cancer biology
- Current Position: Assistant Professor (10/4/16-present),Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler,11937 US-271, Tyler, TX 75708, USA.
- Postdoctoral positions: Instructor(9/1/2015-10/3/16), Department of Epigenetics and Molecular Carcinogenesis, The UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, Texas 78957, USA.Mentor: Dr. XuetongShen, Associate Professor.
- Postdoctoral Fellow (9/7/2010–8/31/2015), Department of Epigenetics and Molecular Carcinogenesis, The UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, Texas 78957, USA.Mentor: Dr. XuetongShen, Associate Professor.
Editorial board membership
- Editor, Cell & Molecular Biology, Henry Publishing Group, Manukau Rd., Royal Oak, Aukland, New Zealand.
- Editor, Austin Oncology, Austin Publishing Group 2500 Plaza 5, Harborside Financial Center, Jersey City, New Jersey, 07311, USA.
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Cell Science & Molecular Biology, Juniper Publishers, 1890 W Hillcrest Drive, Newbury Park, CA 91320, USA.
Honors And Awards
- Received Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)First Time Tenure-Track Faculty Award, 2016. Award amount: USD 2,000,000.
- Received The UT Rising STARs Award for the recruitment of outstanding tenure-track faculty member, 2016. Award amount: USD 250,000.
- Recommended forThe Wellcome Trust-DBT India Alliance Fellowship Award 2016, Award amount: INR 35,000,000 (Not availed, and decided to join as a faculty at The UT Health Science Center at Tyler with CPRIT first time tenure track faculty award and UT Rising STARs award).
- Recipient of the Odyssey fellowship and Theodore Newton Law Endowment for Scientific Achievement award (2010-2013) at The UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Texas, USA, for postdoctoral training. Award amount: Salary 20% above NIH postdoctoral fellow and USD 5000/year additional for lab support.
- Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Received Dr. M.M. Dhar memorial award for the best Ph.D. thesis in Biological Sciences at CDRI in 2010. Selected among 59 Ph.D. theses submitted at CDRI in the year 2009.
- Received Incentive paper award 2010, for excellent research at CDRI.
- Received Incentive paper award 2008, for excellent research at CDRI.
- Recipient of CSIR-JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) and CSIR-SRF (Senior Research Fellowship) from 2005-2010 as a financial support for Ph.D. training.
- Qualified GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) 2004 in Life Sciences.
- Qualified CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test for Lectureship 2003 in Life Sciences.
- Received Prof. E.L. Joreden prize with two successive Gold Medals and a Silver Medal during the academic session 1999-2002 (B.Sc.) for securing 1st position for consecutive two years and second position in the third year of graduation in the University examinations in the college.
- Kapoor, P.*, Shen, X*. (2016) Stringing Nucleosome Necklaces in the Yeast Genome. Leading edge preview. Cell 2016 Oct 20;167(3):600-601.*=corresponding author.
- Kapoor, P., Shen, X., (2015) SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex regulates a non-chromatin substrate. Featured editorial review. Cell Cycle 14(15): 2379-80.
- Shen, J., Peng, Y., Lan, L., Zhang, W., Yang, L., Uray, I.P., Wu, X., Kapoor, P., Shen, X., Brown, P.H., Mills, G.B., Peng, G., (2015) ARID1A deficiency impaired the DNA damage checkpoint and sensitizes cells to PARP inhibitors.Cancer Discovery 5(7): 752-67.
- Kapoor, P., Bao, Y., Xiao, J., Espejo, A., Shen, J., Bedford, M.T., Peng, G., Shen, X. (2015) Phosphorylation-dependent enhancement of Rad53 kinase activity through the INO80 chromatin remodeling complex. Molecular Cell 58: 863-869.
- Kapoor, P., Bao, Y.*, Xiao, J., Luo, J., Shen, J., Persinger, J., Peng, G., Ranish, J., Bartholomew, B., Shen, X. (2015) Regulation of Mec1 kinase activity by the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. Genes & Development Mar; 29(6): 591-602. (Highlighted on cover page of the journal, and in Genes & DevelopmentNews section).
- Kapoor, P., Shen, X., (2014) Mechanisms of nuclear actin in chromatin remodeling complexes. Trends in Cell Biology Apr; 24(4): 238-46.
- Kapoor, P., Chen, M.*, Winkler. D.D., Luger, K., Shen, X. (2013) Evidence for monomeric actin function in INO80 chromatin remodeling. Nature Structural&Molecular BiologyApr; 20, 426-32. (Cover page article, recommended by Faculty of 1000, F1000 prime, Comment in: Monomeric actin required for INO80 remodeling. Nature Structural&Molecular Biology 2013 Apr; 20(4):405-7).
- Kapoor, P., Kumar, A., Naik, R., Ganguli, M., Siddiqi, M.I., Sahasrabuddhe, A.A., Gupta, C.M. (2010) Leishmania actin binds and nicks kDNA as well as inhibits the decatenation activity of type II topoisomerase. Nucleic Acids Research 38, 3308-3317.
- Kapoor, P., Sahasrabuddhe, A.A., Kumar, A., Mitra, K., Siddiqi, M.I., Gupta, C.M. (2008) An unconventional form of actin in protozoan hemoflagellate, Leishmania.TheJournal of Biological Chemistry 283, 22760-22773.