Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
Florida Atlantic University
|1945-1947||B.A||New York University|
|1947-1951||M.D||New York University|
Ira J. Gelb, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.A.C.P., a renowned board-certified cardiologist, serves as Assistant Dean for Pre-baccalaureate Programs and Professor of Clinical Biomedical Science in the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University (FAU). In this role, Dr. Gelb oversees the preprofessional courses offered by the College. After retiring and relocating to Florida in the mid-1990s, Dr. Gelb championed efforts to expand medical and science education in South Florida. He serves on the College’s Advisory Board and Pre-professional Committee, the Advisory Board for the Charles E. Schmidt College of Science, and the FAU Foundation Board of Directors (since 1997, having served as Chairman from 2004-2006). He is the founder of the former University of Miami Miller School of Medicine’s regional program at the College and the preprofessional program which he started in the 1990s. The pre-professional program has grown from 16 students to 75 students today. Dr. Gelb is also the founder of the College’s state-of-the-art Simulation Center.
Professional Positions and Employment
- 1951-1952, Medical Intern, Downstate Medical Center
- 1952-1953, Medical Resident, Downstate Medical Center
- 1953-1955, First Lieutenant, US Army Medical Corps
- 1953-1954, 2nd Field Hospital, Munich, Germany
- 1954-1955, Regimental Surgeon, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division, Gelnhausen, Germany
- 1955-1956, Medical Resident, University of Colorado Medical Center
- 1956-1957, US Public Health Fellowship in Cardiology at Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, 1965-1995
- Honorary Lecturer in Medicine, 1995-2002
- Adjunct Clinical Professor of Medicine, 2002 – present
- President Mount Sinai Alumni, Florida Chapter, 2004-2006
- Executive Committee Mount Sinai Alumni 2006-2008
New York Medical College
- Adjunct Professor of Medicine, 1976-1995
Weill College of Medicine of Cornell University
- Adjunct Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, 1991-1995
- Adjunct Clinical Professor of Medicine, 2003-2009
- Adjunct Clinical Professor of CV Surgery 2009 to date
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (UMMSOM)
- Founder of UMMSOM @ FAU 2001
- Voluntary Professor of Medicine 1998-2007
- Affiliate Professor of Medicine at FAU 2007-2011
- Director for Student Advocacy, UMMSOM @ FAU 2008-2010
- Chair, Cardiology Module, UMMSOM @ FAU 2004-2008
- Member, Medical School Admissions Committee, 2003-2010
- Member, Curriculum Committee, UMMSOM @ FAU 2004-2010
College of Biomedical Science, Florida Atlantic University (FAU)
- Adjunct Professor of Science 1997-1999
- Clinical Professor of Science 1999 to date
- Director of Clinical Programs 1998-2005
- Founder and Director, “Introduction to Medical Education” 1997 to date
- Founder and Member, Simulator Program 2004-2008
- Assistant Dean, Prebaccalaureate Programs. 2006 to date
- Member, Staff, and Appointments Committee, 2004 to date
- Pre-Professional Committee, 1999 to date
- College of Science Advisory Board, 2003 to date
- Director Emeritus of Cardiology, 2008
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Adjunct Clinical Professor of Medicine, 2009 to date
Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine (CESCOM)
- Assistant Dean for Prebaccalaureate Programs, 2010 to date
- Clinical Professor, 2010 to date
- Director Emeritus of Cardiology
- Member of Search Committee CESCOM
- Curriculum Committee and M1 & M2 Subcommittee
- Co-Director CV Module for M2 Students
- PBL Facilitator CV Module
- Member Admissions & Advisory Committees
- Mentor to Co-Director CV Module
- Nominating Committee of Advisory Committee
- Member CAP Committee
- Co-Director CME Committee 2013
- Sr. Academic Advisor to the Dean for Prebaccalaureate Programs May 8, 2013
- Founder UMMSCOM @ FAU 2001
- Founder CESCOM 2009
Boca Raton Regional Hospital (BRRH)
- Foundation Board of Trustees, 1998 to date
- Medical Staff Review Committee, 2001 to date
- Faculty Staff Appointment Committee, 2005 to date
- Medical Education Committee, 2010 to date
- Attending Physician, New Rochelle Hospital, New Rochelle, NY, 1957-1992
- Attending Physician, Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC, 1957- 1992
- Attending Physician, Westchester Medical Center, 1976-1992
- Faculty Staff Appointment, Boca Raton Regional Hospital, 2005 to date
Licensure, Board Certification, Malpractice
- New York State Certificate #072809-1, Valid until 12/31/16
- Florida # ME 84946, Issued 2002. Valid until 1/31/18
- DEA # BGG77755870. Valid until 9/30/13
- American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) 1959 Certificate #16605
- ABIM, Cardiovascular Diseases 1967 Certificate # 16605
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology (FACC), 1995 to date
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP), 1960 to date
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians (FCCP), 1960 to date
- Fellow American Heart Association (FAHA)
- Member 1960 to date
- President a. Westchester-Putnam Division, NY 1986-1988
- b. Boca Raton Chapter, FL 1999-2001
- Chairman, Leadership Council, Boca Raton Chapter, 2002-2008
- Palm Beach County Medical Society
- Florida Medical Association
Honors and Awards
- First Maimonides Award, American Jewish Committee, March 11, 2002
- NYU Medical School Alumni Leadership Award, February 19, 2006
- Leadership Award, Council of Deans, Florida Atlantic University, April 3, 2007
- Director Emeritus of Cardiology, FAU 2008
- Keynote Speaker and Honorary Membership Gold Key International Honor Society, 2008
- Leadership Award, FAU Pre - Professional Club 2008
- OPAL (Outstanding People and Leadership) Award for Healthcare from Rotary Club of Boca Raton, FL, January 16, 2009
- Presidential Medal FAU, August 9, 2011
- Charter Member Rotary Club Downtown Boca Raton, 2012
- Rotary Gelb Golf Tournament May 9, 2013 at Boca Lago
- Honoree CESCOM Gala Woodfield CC January 11, 2014
- Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) Boca Raton Advisor of the Year 2014-2015
- Dedication Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine Auditorium, September 23, 2014
- Advisor of the Year, FAU Council of Student Organizations, 2015
- Platinum Member Owl’s Nest FAU October 6, 2015
- Primary Hospital Affiliation- Boca Raton Regional Hospital
- Board Member, Hospice By the Sea, Boca Raton, Florida, 2008-2010
- Member of BRCH Foundation Board 2000-2010
- BRRH Foundation Board July 1, 2012 to date
- FAU Foundation Board member 1997 to date, Chairman 2006-2007
- Executive Committee FAU Foundation Board
- Non-salaried Assistant Dean and Clinical Professor at Florida Atlantic University (FAU)
Current and Past Institutional Responsibilities and Percent Effort
- Teach and direct a course entitled “Introduction to Pre - Professional studies” that I initiated in 1997. We meet three times a week for one hour in which invited physicians, dentists, veterinarians, and nurses speak about their specialties to a class of 75 students from the Boca Raton and Jupiter campuses. I arrange for students to shadow physicians and dentists each semester. I attend the lectures, teach one to two sessions in both the fall and spring semesters plus interview and advise the students about post graduate education.
- The cardiology module meets two months per academic year in which we teach first and second year medical students. As founder of the program, I have been teaching topics such as congestive heart failure, EKG interpretation and coronary artery disease since the program began. In addition, I participate in the cardiology PBL (problem based learning) program for an average of thirty hours per module.
- I founded and participated in the Simulator Program where we teach medical students and first responders to evaluate and treat acute medical and surgical problems. This also can enable them to be certified in basic and advanced life support.
- CCU and Medical Rounds 3-4 months per year at Mount Sinai Hospital 1965-1992
- CCU Rounds at Westchester Medical Center 1-2 months per year 1976-1992
- Foundations of Medicine (FOM) Course Facilitator 2014 to date
- Admissions Committee FAU School of Medicine
- CAP Committee FAU School of Medicine
- I obtained a $100,000.00 grant from Quantum Foundation to initiate our Simulator Program.
- I arranged with BRCH to screen FAU Athletes for Cardiomyopathy with an echocardiogram at no cost to the school.
- My wife, June, and I initiated a scholarship program for FAU students who were accepted to the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine (CESCOM @ FAU).
- We also donated $250,000.00 for the CESCOM auditorium now named the June and Ira J.Gelb, M.D. Auditorium in the Charles E.Schmidt COM
Extramural Professional Responsibilities
- Senior Assistant Editor, American Journal of Cardiology (AJC) 1968-1983
- Senior Assistant Editor, Journal of American College of Cardiology (JACC) 1983-1992
- One of Founding Editors with Simon Dack, M.D
- Associate Editor, CARDIOLOGY, 2005 to date
- Editorial Board Journal of Heart Health 2015
Articles in Peer- Reviewed Journals
- Blount G., McCord C., and Gelb I. Ebstein’s Anomaly. Circ. 1957; 15:210-215.
- MoscovitzH., Donoso E. and Gelb I. Use of the Intracardiac Microphone in the Study of the Normal and Abnormal Cardiac Cycle. Circ. 1958; 18:760-763.
- Moscovitz H., Donoso E. and Gelb I. Intracardiac Phonocardiography, Correlation of Mechanical , Acoustic and Electric Events of the Cardiac Cycle. Circ. 1958; 18:984-986.
- Moscovitz H., Donoso E. and Gelb I. Prediction of the Duration of Dynamic Phases of the Cardiac Cucle by Intracardiac Phonocardiography. Clinical Research Proceedings 1958; 6:213-216.
- Moscovitz H., Donoso E. and Gelb I., and Henry E. Fourth Heart Sound: Studies with Intracardiac Phonocardiography Circ. 1959; 20: 244-248.
- Sherber D. and Gelb I. The Clinical Pharmacology of IsorbideDinitrate: A Unique New Nitrated Polyalcohol Angiology 1961; 12:244-248.
- Gelb I., Donoso E., and Moscovitz H. Hemodynamic Studies in Digitalis Induced.
- Moscovitz H., Steinfeld L., Park K., Gelb I., Dimich I. and Donoso E. Influence of Paired Electrical Stimulation on the Mechanical Alternans of Aortic Stenosis Circ. 1968, 30: 142-146.
- Moscovitz H., Steinfeld L., Gelb I., Dimich I., Kline L. and Donoso E. Augmentation of the Pressure Gradient in Experimental Aortic Stenosis by Paired Electrical Stimulation Circ. 1967; 36:193-195.
- Moscovitz H., Steinfeld L., Park K., Gelb I., Dimich I. and Donoso E. Modification of the Systolic Ejection Gradient of Ventricular Outflow Obstruction by Paired Electrical Stimulation and Changes in Downstream Resistance J. of Mount Sinai Hospital 1970; 37:356-265.
- Gelb I. Left Ventricular Bypass in Acute Cardiac Decompensation, Editorial. American J. of Cardiology 1970; 25:509-510.
- Moscovitz H., Gelb I. Should the Aortic Valve Gradient in Aortic Stenosis be Measured? American J. of Cardiology 1973; 32:731-733.
- Moscovitz H., Pantazapolous G., Bodenheimer M. and Gelb I. Simulated Left Atrial Tumor American J. of Cardiology 1974; 34:731-733.
- Hennekens, Breuer, Gelb, Bjorkman Emerging Clinical Challenges in the Use of Statins American J. Medicine August 2013.
- Huang, Li, Zhang and Gelb. Dose Dependent Diastolic Dysfunction & Early Death in a Mouse Model with Cardiac Troponin Mutations J. Molecular & Cellular Cardiology June 2013.
- Hennekens& Gelb. Utilization of Statins: Editorial Guiding Principles and the New U.S. Guidelines. CARDIOLOGY December 2013.
- Gelb & Huang. Update in Pediatric Infective EndocarditisComment. CARDIOLOGY June 2014.
- Li, Zhang Jean-Charles, Nan, Chen, Tian, Jin, Gelb and Huang. Dose-dependent diastolic dysfunction and early death in a mouse model with cardiac troponin mutations. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology 2013.
Books, Book Chapters
- Moscovitz H., Donoso E., Gelb I. and Henry E. Intracardiac Phonocardiography: Clinical Considerations pages 61-69 Visual Aids in Cardiologic Treatment Edited by Master A. and Donoso E. Grune and Stratton 1960.
- Moscovitz H., Donoso E., Gelb I. and Wilder R. Atlas of Hemodynamics in the CardiovasularSustem. Grune and Stratton 1963.
- Dack S., Bader M., Bader R., Gelb I. Heart Disease in Pregnancy. Pages 1-63. Medical, Surgical, and Gynecologic Complications of Pregnancy 2nd Edition Rovinsky and Guttmacher Williams and Wilkins 1965.