Associate Professor and Research Director
Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (JHSOM)
Department of Epidemiology (Joint Appointment)
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHBSPH)
|INSTITUTION AND LOCATION||DEGREE||Completion Date||FIELD OF STUDY|
|Anhui Medical University, Hefei, China||BS/MD||Jul-82||Public Health|
|Tongji Medical University, Wuhan, China||MS||Jul-86||Environmental Epidemiology|
|Shanghai Medical University, Shanghai, China||PhD||Jul-89||Environmental Epidemiology|
|The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA||IARC Fellow||9/1993-8/1994||Epidemiology|
|The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA||Post-Doc||9/1994-9/1996||Epidemiology|
|National Board for Certification of Registrar||CTR||2001-2009||Certified Tumor Registrar|
|American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine||Member||2007-current||Occup. & Environ. Medicine|
Dr. Xuguang Tao is an Associate Professor and Research Director in Division of Occupational Medicine, Department of Medicine. He studies environmental and occupational epidemiology invlolving cancer registry data, GIS applications, workers’ compensation and injuries, drug safety, nosocomial infections, clinical trials and systematic literature review.
Environmental epidemiology, occupational epidemiology, air pollution, water pollution, cancer, cancer registry, GIS, workers' compensation, clinical trials, nosocomial infection, systimatic literature review.
|1989-1991||Lecturer||Shanghai Medical University, China|
|1991-1993||Associate Professor||Shanghai Medical University, China|
|1993-1994||IARC Research Fellow||Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Baltimore, MD|
|1994-1996||Post-Doctoral Fellow||Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Baltimore, MD|
|1997-1999||Research Associate||Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Baltimore, MD|
|2000-2003||Assistant Scientist||Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Baltimore, MD|
|2000-2007||Assistant Director||District of Columbia Cancer Registry Database System Washington DC|
|2003-2011||Assistant Professor||Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine JHSOM|
|2003-2011||Assistant Professor||Epidemiology JHBSPH|
|2005-present||Assistant Director||Center for Safety in Healthcare Environments JHSOM|
|2009-present||Research Director||Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine JHSOM|
|2011-present||Associate Professor||Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine JHSOM|
|2011-present||Associate Professor||Epidemiology JHBSPH|
|2013 present||Guest Professor||School of Public Health, Anhui Medical University, Hefei, China|
|2014-present||Core faculty||Center for Drug Safety and Effectiveness JHBSPH|
Teaching and advising:
- Co-Primary Instructor, Occupational Epidemiology, JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health (2001-2012)
- Co-Primary Instructor, Environmental Epidemiology, JHU Bloomberg School of Public Health (1999-2012)
- Advising Ph.D., MPH students, International visiting scholars in occupational and environmental epidemiology
- Tao X& Bao KG: Experimental study on early indicators of cadmium intoxication . China Environmental Science 7(6): 32‑36, 1987.
- Bao KG &Tao X: Correlation analysis between concentrations of calcium and beta-2‑microglobulin in urine of 98 cadmium exposure subjects, China Environmental Science 7(5):26‑28, 1987.
- Tao X, Hong CJ, Yu SZ, Chen BH, Zhu HG & Yang MD: Application of canonical correlation analysis to determining controlling priority among air pollution factors in Shanghai, China Environmental Science 2(2):113-120, 1991.
- Tao X, Hong CJ & Yu SZ: Health effects of indoor air pollution on non-specific immunological function in housewives. Journal of Environment and Health 8(3): 97-99, 1991.
- Tao X, Zhu HG, Yu SZ, Zhao QY, Wang JR, Wu GD, You XF, Li C, Zhai WL, Bao JP, Sun ZQ: Pilot study on the relationship between death from male stomach and liver cancers and mutagenicity of drinking water in the Huangpu river area, Public Health Reviews: an International Quarterly 9:219-228, 1992
- Tao X, Zhu HG, Yu SZ, Zhao QY, Wang JR, Wu GD, You XF, Li C, Zhai WL, Bao JP, Sun ZQ: The effects of drinking the water from lower reaches of Huangpu river on the risk of male stomach and liver cancer, Public Health Reviews: an International Quarterly 9:229-236, 1992.
- Tao X, Hong CJ, Yu SZ & Zhu HG: The Risk of Male Lung cancer attributed to coal combustion indoors in Shanghai, Public Health Reviews: an International Quarterly 9:127-134, 1992.
- Tao X, Hong CJ, Yu SZ, Chen BH, Zhu HG & Yang MD: Priority among air pollution factors for preventing chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases in Shanghai, The Science of the Total Environment 127:57-67, 1992.
- Tao X, Hong CJ, Yu SZ, & Zhu HG: Application of uni-scale method in chronic disease studies: introduction to a quantitative recording method for subjective feeling or symptoms, China Chronic Disease Prevention and Control 1: 49-51 & 62, 1992.
- Tao X, Ma XJ & Hong CJ: A pilot study on health effects in residents of industrial districts in Shanghai city proper, Shanghai Environmental Science 10(10):37-39, 1992.
- Chen XL, Hong CJ and Tao X. Effects of ambient sulphur dioxide pollution on pulmonary function of women and children. Journal of Environment and Health 10(4):152-155, 1993.
- Chen XL, Tao X, Hong CJ and Zhu HG. Relationship between ambient sulphur dioxide pollution and common respiratory symptoms in Shanghai. Chinese Journal of Public Health 12(1): 1-4, 1993.
- Tao X& Zhu HG: Family drinking water health, Popular Medicine (2):30-31, 1994.
- Chen XL, Hong CJ and Tao X: Relationship between ambient sulphur dioxide pollution and common respiratory diseases in Shanghai. Chinese Journal of Prevention and Control of Chronic Non-communicable Diseases 2(6): 259-262, 1994.
- Matanoski GM, Elliott E, Tao X, Frances M, Correa-Villasenor A, Santo-Burgoa C: Lymphohematopoitic cancer and butadiene and styrene exposure in synthetic rubber industry. Annals of the New York Academy of Science 837: 157-169, 1997.
- Matanoski GM, Kanchanaraksa S, Lees P, Tao X, Royall R, Frances M, Lantry D: An industry-wide study of mortality of pulp and paper mill workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 33:354-365, 1998.
- Zhou LM, Yang WW , Hua JZ, Deng CQ, Tao X, Stoltzfus RJ: Relation of hemoglobin measured at different times in pregnancy to preterm birth and low birth weight in Shanghai, China. American Journal of Epidemiology 148(10):998-1006, 1998.
- Tao X, Zhu H, Matanoski GM: Mutagenic Drinking Water and Risk of Male Esophageal Cancer: A Population Based Case-control Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 150 (5): 443-452, 1999.
- Matanoski G &Tao X: Case-cohort study on styrene and ischemic heart disease, Research Report Number 108, Health Effects Institute, Boston, Cambridge, MA, 2002.
- Matanoski GM and Tao X: Styrene and ischemic heart disease: A case-cohort study. American Journal of Epidemiology158:988-95, 2003.
- Tao XG, Bernacki EJ. A randomized clinical trial of continuous low-level heat therapy for acute muscular low back pain in the workplace.J Occup Environ Med. 47(12):1298-306, 2005
- Bernacki E, Tao X, Yuspeh L. A Preliminary Investigation of the Effects of AProvider Network on Costs and Lost-Time in Workers’ Compensation, JOEM 47(1):3-10, 2005
- Tao XG, Bernacki EJ, Jankosky C, Means C. An assessment of universal versus risk-based hepatitis C virus testing of source patients post exposure to blood and body fluids among healthcare workers. J Occup Environ Med. 48(5):470-7, 2006
- Gallicchio L, Matanoski G, Tao XG, Chen L, Lam TK, Boyd K, Robinson KA, Balick L, Mickelson S, Caulfield LE, Herman JG, Guallar E, Alberg AJ. Adulthood consumption of preserved and nonpreserved vegetables and the risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A systematic review. Int J Cancer. 2006
- Matanoski G, Tao XG, Almon L, Adade AA, Davies-Cole JO. Demographics and tumor characteristics of colorectal cancers in the United States, 1998-2001. Cancer. 2006 Jul 12; 107(S5):1112-1120
- Gross R, Neria Y, Tao XG, Massa J, Ashwell L, Davis K, Geyh A. Posttraumatic stress disorder and other psychological sequelae among world trade center clean up and recovery workers. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006 Jul;1071:495-9.
- Bernacki EJ, Tao XG, Yuspeh L. An Investigation of the Effects of a Healthcare Provider Network on Costs and Lost Time in Workers' Compensation. J Occup Environ Med. 2006 Sep;48(9):873-882.
- Tao XG, Massa J, Ashwell L, Davis K, Schwab M, Geyh A. The World Trade Center Clean up and Recovery Worker Cohort Study: Respiratory health among clean up workers approximately 20 months after initial exposure at the disaster site. J Occup Environ Med 2007 Oct;49(10):1063-1072.
- Loyo-BerrÃos NI, Irizarry R, Hennessey JG, Tao XG, Matanoski G. Air pollution sources and childhood asthma attacks in Catano, Puerto Rico. Am J Epidemiol. 2007 Apr 15;165(8):927-35. Epub 2007 Feb 17.
- Bernacki EJ, Yuspeh L, Tao X. Determinants of Escalating Costs in Low Risk Workers' Compensation Claims. J Occup Environ Med. Jul 2007;49(7):780-790
- Bernacki E, Tao X The Relationship Between Attorney Involvement, Claim Duration and Workers' Compensation Costs. 2008 Sep; 50(9):1013-8. J Occup Environ Med
- Wu XC; Matanoski GM, Chen VW, Saraiya M, Coughlin S, King J, Tao XG, Descriptive Epidemiology Of Vaginal Cancer Incidence And Survival By Race, Ethnicity, And Age In The United States CANCER. 2008; 133(10) Sup: 2873-2882
- Cheng TY, Wen SF, Astor B, Tao X, Samet J, Wen CP, Increased Mortality Risksfor All Causes and Cardiovascular Diseases from Reduced Glomerular Filtration Rate in a Middle-aged, Working Population in Taiwan. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 2008; 52(6): 1051-1060.
- Celik, I., Gallicchio, L.,Boyd, K., Lam, T. K., Matanoski, G., Tao, X., Shiels, M.Hammond, E., Chen, L., Robinson, K. A., Caulfield, L. E., Herman, J. G., Guallar, E.Alberg, A. J. Arsenic in drinking water and lung cancer: a systematic reviewEnviron Res. 2008 Sep;108(1):48-55. Epub 2008 May 29.
- Gallicchio, L., Boyd, K., Matanoski, G., Tao, X. G., Chen, L., Lam, T. K., Shiels, M., Hammond, E., Robinson, K. A., Caulfield, L. E., Herman, J. G., Guallar, E., Alberg, A. J. Carotenoids and the risk of developing lung cancer: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Aug; 88(2):372-83.
- Chen L, Gallicchio L, Boyd-Lindsley K, Tao X, Robinson K, Lam TK, Herman JG,Caulfield LE, Guallar E, Alberg AJ, Alcohol consumption and risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A systematic review. 2009; Nutrition and Cancer,61:1,1 — 15
- Lam T, Gallicchio L Lindsley K, Shiels M,Hammond E,Tao X, Chen L, Robinson K, Caulfield L,Herman J,Guallar,E, Alberg T.Cruciferous Vegetable Consumption and LungCancer Risk: A Systematic Review Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev2009;18(1):184–95
- Tao XG, Chnoweth D,Alfriend AS, BaronD, Mcki E,Kirkland TW, Scherb G, Bernacki E. Monitoring Worksite Clinic Performance Utilizing a Cost Benefit Tool. J Occup Environ Med. 2009;51(10):1151-1157
- Tao XG, Giampino J, Dooley DA, Humphrey FE, Baron DM, Bernacki EJ. Evaluation of an Influenza Vaccination Campaign among Healthcare Workers Using a Randomized Survey. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 31(2):151-7, 2010
- Bernacki EJ, Tao XG, Yuspeh L. The Impact of Cost Intensive Physicians on Workers’ Compensation. J Occup Environ Med. 51(1):22-28, 2010
- Zheng W, Wang X, Yu H, Tao X, Zhou Y, Qu W. Global trends and diversity in pentachlorophenol levels in the environment and in humans: a meta-analysis. Environ Sci Technol. Jun 1 2011;45(11):4668-4675.
- Somanchi M, Tao X, Mullin GE. The facilitated early enteral and dietary management effectiveness trial in hospitalized patients with malnutrition. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. Mar 2011;35(2):209-216.
- Alonso CD, Barclay S, Tao X, Auwaerter PG. Increasing incidence of iliopsoas abscesses with MRSA as a predominant pathogen. J Infect. May 18 2011.
- Bernacki EJ, Yuspeh L, Lavin R, Tao XG. Increases in the use and cost of opioids to treat acute and chronic pain in injured workers, 1999 to 2009. J Occup Environ Med. 2012 Feb;54(2):216-23.
- Tao XG, Lavin RA, Yuspeh L, Bernacki EJ. Natural history of opioid dosage escalation post-injury: a cohort study of injured workers in the State of Louisiana. J Occup Environ Med. 2012 Apr;54(4):439-44.
- Wrighton-Smith P, Sneed L, Humphrey F, Tao X, Bernacki E. Screening Health Care Workers With Interferon-γ Release Assay Versus Tuberculin Skin Test: Impact on Costs and Adherence to Testing (the SWITCH study). J Occup Environ Med. 2012 Jul;54(7):806-15.
- Tao XG, Lavin RA, Yuspeh L, Bernacki EJ. Impact of the combined use of opioids and surgical procedures on workers' compensation cost among a cohort of injured workers in the state of Louisiana. J Occup Environ Med. 2012 Dec;54(12):1513-9
- Davis SR, Tao X, Bernacki EJ, Alfriend, AS. Evaluation of a Bladder Cancer Cluster in a Population of Criminal Investigators with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives – Part1: The Cancer Incidence. J Environ Pub Hlth, 2012:Article ID 101850, 10 pages doi:10.1155/2012/101850, December 2012
- White, J. A., X. Tao, M. Talreja, J. Tower, and E. Bernacki. The effect of opioid use on workers' compensation claim cost in the state of Michigan. J Occup Environ Med 2012; 54(8):948-53.
- Lavin RA, Tao X, Yuspeh L, Bernacki EJ. Temporal relationship between lumbar spine surgeries, return to work, and workers' compensation costs in a cohort of injured workers. J Occup Environ Med. May 2013;55(5):539-543.
- Jackson JB, Tao X, Sneed L, Humphrey-Carothers F, Bernacki E. Cost of annual tuberculosis screening of healthcare workers with negative tuberculin skin test results. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. Jun 2013;34(6):642-643.
- Davis SR, Tao X, Bernacki EJ, Alfriend AS, Delowery ME. Evaluation of a bladder cancer cluster in a population of criminal investigators with the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives-part 2: the association of cancer risk and fire scene investigation. J Environ Public Health. 2013;2013:986023.
- White JA, Tao X, Artuso RD, Bilinski C, Rademacher J, Bernacki EJ. Effect of physician-dispensed medication on workers' compensation claim outcomes in the state of illinois. J Occup Environ Med. May 2014;56(5):459-464.
- Tao X, Lavin RA, Yuspeh L, Bernacki EJ. Implications of lumbar epidural steroid injections after lumbar surgery. J Occup Environ Med. Feb 2014;56(2):195-203.
- Lavin, R. A., Tao X, Yuspeh L, Bernacki EJ. Impact of the combined use of benzodiazepines and opioids on workers' compensation claim cost. J Occup Environ Med. 2014; 56(9):973-8.
- Tao XG, Fagan PJ, LeNoach E, Hawkins M, Ross-Gavin M, Bernacki EJ. The relationship between a worksite wellness clinic and hospital emergency department visits. J Occup Environ Med. Dec 2014;56(12):1313-1318.
- Tao, X. G., Lavin RA, Yuspeh L, Weaver, V. M., Bernacki EJ. (2015). "The association of the use of opioid and psychotropic medications with workers' compensation claim costs and lost work time." J Occup Environ Med 57(2): 196-201.
- Tao, X. G., Lavin RA, Yuspeh L, Bernacki EJ. Is Obesity Associated with Adverse Workers’ Compensation Claims Outcomes? A Pilot Study. J Occup Environ Med J 2015; 57(2): 196-201