Department of Health Systems and Behavioral Sciences
National University of Singapore
- 2004: Doctor of Medicine (MD) National University of Singapore
- 1983: MPH University of Malaya
- 1977: MBBS University of Malaya
- 1996 (July) Participated in Total Quality Management Course, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- 1993: Participated in Health Care Management Course
- (June 21 – Aug 13) - on managing health programmes in developing countries. Harvard School of Public Health
A/Prof Wong Mee Lian received her medical degree (MBBS) and Master of Public Health (MPH) from the University of Malaya, and her Doctor of Medicine from the National University of Singapore. She is a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore and a Fellow by distinction of the Faculty of Public Health, United Kingdom.
Her current research interests include health promotion, behavioral change and prevention of sexually-transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV among sex workers, heterosexual men, adolescents and married women in Singapore and Cambodia. She has published more than 150 papers on STI/HIV prevention and health promotion. Her research on STI prevention and women’s health has earned her awards, including (i) the Wilf Howe Memorial Prize 2008, Faculty of Occupational Health Physicians, United Kingdom, for an outstanding intervention/research project on STI prevention among sex workers with demonstrable health benefits, (ii) National Skin Centre (NSC) Distinguished Friend Award 2009, (iii) SEAMEO-JASPER award, second best research on women and health, 1996 and (iv) the Rockefeller Foundation’s (US) Reflections on Development Fellowship award, 1989 for her research on Women in Health and Community Development. She is currently a Joint Editor of Sexual Health. She also consults on health promotion and STI prevention. Her consulting experience on health promotion covers a wide range of organizations including governments and non-governmental organizations in Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia Myanmar, China, Bangladesh, India, Hong Kong and Tonga.
A/Prof Wong has more than 20 years of teaching experience. Between 2003 and 2006, she served as Assistant Dean of Preclinical Education at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore. She has received a faculty award for excellence in teaching. She currently serves as Chair of the Scholarship Committee at the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health. She is also a member of the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award Committee at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
- Control of STIs/HIV/AIDS among sex workers, men, adolescents.
- Health promotion and behavioral change interventions.
Health Systems and Behavioural Sciences (HSBS) Domain, Behavioural Sciences Sub-Domain
2013 –Nov 2015
Singapore National Preventive Medicine Residency Programme
Scholarship Committee, MPH programme, Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health National University of Singapore
Education-Preclinical, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
Faculty Teaching Excellence Award Committee, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
- Lim RB, Wong ML*, Tan PH, Govender M. Heterosexual men who patronise entertainment establishments versus brothels in an Asian urban setting - which group practises riskier sexual behaviours? BMC Public Health. 2015 Aug 14;15(1):1-7. doi: 10.1186/s12889-015-2132-4.
- Raymond BT Lim., Wong ML*, Alex Richard Cook, Cyrille B, Roy KW Chan, Priya Sen, Martin Chio. Determinants of chlamydia, gonorrhea and co-infection in heterosexual adolescents attending the national public sexually transmitted infection clinic in Singapore Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2015 Aug;42(8):450-6.
- Junice YS Ng, Wong ML*, Roy KW Chan, Priya Sen, Martin TWC, D Koh. Gender differences in factors associated with anal intercourse among heterosexual adolescents in Singapore. AIDS Edu and Prev 2015. 27(4):373-85.
- Wong ML, Koh TT, Tjahjadi S, Govender M. Men seeking sex online practise riskier sexual behaviours than men frequenting brothels: survey findings from Singapore. Sex Transm Infect. 2014 Aug;90(5):401-7.
- Reuben K. Wong, Wong ML Yiong H. Chan, Zhu Feng, Chun Tao Wai, Khay Guan Yeoh, Barriers, Misconceptions and the Lack of Physicians Recommendation Account for Poor Screening Uptake in Colorectal Compared With Cervical Cancer: Findings of a National Population Representative Survey. Gastroenterology 2014; 146: 5: S-162
- Koh YH, Wong ML, Jeannette Lee. Medical students’ reflective writing about a task based learning experience on public health communication. Medical Teacher 2014; 36 (2):121-9.
- Lubek I, Lee H, Kros S, Wong ML, Van Merode T, Liu J, McCreanor T, Idema R, Campbell C. HIV/AIDS, beersellers and critical community health psychology in Cambodia: a case study.J Health Psychol 2014; 19 (1):110-6.
- Peltzer K, Pengpid S, Samuels TA, Özcan NK, Mantilla C, Rahamefy OH, Wong ML, Gasparishvili A. Prevalence of overweight/obesity and its associated factors among university students from 22 countries.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014 Jul 21;11(7):7425-41. doi: 10.3390/ijerph110707425.
- Lee W, Neo A, Tan S, Cook AR, Wong ML, Tan J, Sayampanathan A, Lim D, Tang SY, Goh WL, Chen MI, Ho C. Health-seeking behaviour of male foreign migrant workers living in a dormitory in Singapore.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014 Jul 10;14:300. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-14-300.
- Seetoh T, Siew WF, Koh A, Liau WF, Koh GCh, Lee JJ, Wong ML, Seow A. Overcoming Barriers to Mammography Screening: A Quasi-randomised Pragmatic Trial in a Community-based Primary Care Setting.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2014 Dec;43(12):588-94.
- Chua AC, Chen MI, Cavailler P, Jiang L, Abdullah MR, Ng OT, Chio M, Koe S, Tay J, Wong ML, Chan R. Challenges of respondent driven sampling to assess sexual behaviour and estimate the prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and syphilis in men who have sex with men (MSM) in Singapore.Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2013;42:350-3.
- Wong ML, Chan RK, Tan HH, Sen P, Chio M, Koh D. Gender Differences in Partner Influences and Barriers to Condom Use Among Heterosexual Adolescents Attending a Public Sexually Transmitted Infection Clinic in Singapore. J Pediatr 2013;162:574-80.
- Wong RK, Wong ML, Chan YH, Feng Z, Wai CT, Yeoh KG. Gender differences in predictors of colorectal cancer screening uptake: a national cross sectional study based on the health belief model BMC Public Health. 2013 Jul 23;13:677.
- Hu Yun, Wong ML, Prema V, Wong ML, Fong NP, Tsai FF, Vijaya K. Do parents talk to their adolescent children about sex?-Findings from a community survey in Singapore. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2012: 41:239-46.
- Wong ML, Priya Sen, CM Wong, Sylvia Tjahjadi, Mandy Govender Koh TT, Zarina Yusof, Chew L, Avin Tan Vijaya K Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Prevention Education in Singapore: Challenges for the Future Ann Acad Med Singapore 2012;41:602-9.
- Wong ML, Roy Chan KW, Tan HH, Eunice Yong, Lionel Lee, Jeffrey Cutter, Joanne Tay, David Koh. Sex work and risky sexual behaviors among foreign entertainment workers in urban Singapore: findings from mystery client survey. Journal of Urban Health 2012; 89:1031-1044.
- Gwee KA, Siah KT, Wong RK, Wee S, Wong ML, Png DJ. Prevalence of disturbed bowel functions and its association with disturbed bladder and sexual functions in the male population.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012 Nov;27(11):1738-44.
- Lee H, Pollock G, Lubek I, Niemi S, O'Brien K, Green M, Bashir S, Braun E, Kros S, Huot V, Ma V, Griffiths N, Dickson B, Pring N, Sohkurt Huon-Ribeil K, Lim N, Turner J, Winkler C, Wong ML, Van Merode T, Dy BC, Prem S, Idema R. Creating new career pathways to reduce poverty, illiteracy and health risks, while transforming and empowering Cambodian women's lives. J Health Psychol. 2010 Oct;15(7):982-92. Epub 2010 Jul 8.
- Mohamad Rosman, Wong TY, Wong WL, Wong ML, Saw SM. Knowledge and Beliefs Associated with Refractive Errors and Undercorrection: The Singapore Malay Eye Study. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2009; 93:4-10.
- Marian Pitts, Anthony Smith, Samantha Croy, Anthony Lyons, Richard Ryall], Suzanne Garland, Mee Lian Wong, Tay Eng Hseon. Singaporean men’s knowledge of cervical cancer and human papillomavirus (HPV) and their attitudes towards HPV vaccination. Vaccine 2009; 27:2989-2993.
- Pitts M, Smith A, Croy S, Lyons A, Ryall R, Garland S, Wong ML, Tay EH. Singaporean women's knowledge of human papillomavirus (HPV) and attitudes toward HPV vaccination. Women Health. 2009 Jun;49(4):334-51.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, D Koh, Tan HH, Lim FS, Emmanuel S, Bishop G. Premarital sexual intercourse among adolescents in an Asian country: multilevel ecological factors. Pediatrics 2009; 124(1):e44-52.
- Smith A, Lyons A, Pitts M, Croy S, Ryall R, Garland S, Wong ML, Tay EH. Assessing knowledge of human papillomavirus and collecting data on sexual behavior: computer assisted telephone versus face to face interviews BMC Public Health. 2009 Nov 23;9:429.
- Moy FM, Atiya Ab Sallam, Wong ML. Framingham Risk Scores and anthropometric measurements in predicting cardiovascular risks among Malay men” in the Malaysian Journal of Nutrition 2008; 14: 57-63
- Koh GC, Khoo HE, Wong ML, Koh D. The effects of problem-based learning during medical school on physician competency: a systematic review. CMAJ. 2008 Jan 1;178(1):34-41. Review.
- Roy KW Chan, Tan HH, Martin Chio TW, Priya S, Karen WH, Wong ML. Sexually transmissible infection management practices among primary care physicians in Singapore. Sexual Health 2008; 5:265-271.
- Moy FM, Ab Sallam A, Wong ML Dietary modification in a workplace health promotion program in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Asia Pac J Public Health. 2008; 20 Suppl:166-172.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, D Koh. HIV prevention among travellers: Why do men not use condoms when they engage in commercial sex overseas? Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 2007; 34:237-244.
- Lu Wei, Mak Belinda, Lim SG, Aung MO, Wong ML, Wai CT. Public Misperceptions about transmission of Hepatitis B Virus in Singapore. Ann Acad med Singapore 2007; 36:797-800.
- Wong ML, C S L Fones, M M Aw, C H Tan, P S Low, A Zubair, P S Wong, P S Goh, C T Wai, B K C Ong, PA Tambyah and D R Koh, "Should non-expert clinician examiners be used in objective structured assessment of communication skills among final year medical undergraduates? Medical Teacher 2007; 29:927-32.
- Wong ML Preventing adolescents from adopting HIV-related risky sexual behaviours: do we have all the answers? Guest Editorial. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health 2006; 18:1-2.
- Liew LCH, Tiong HY, Wong ML, Png DCJ, Tan JKN. A population study on nocturia in Singapore. British Journal of Urology International. 2006; 97:109-112.
- Theng TSC, Sen PR, Chio MTW, Tan HH, Wong ML, Chan RKW. Seroprevalence of HSV-1 and 2 among sex workers attending an STI clinic in Singapore. International Journal of STD 2006; 17:395-399.
- Lubek, I, S Kros, S Mu, J Schuster, T Pagnutti, J Cadesky, S Ganapathi, Wong ML, BC Dy, Lee, CL Russel, T Van Merode, R Idema, T Tra, B Ou, S Touch, P Em, S Pen, S Phaal, M Neang, M Chhit and S Khieng, Beyond the social construction to the community construction of health: Roles for applied social psychologists within a multi-sectoral confrontation of HIV/AIDS, alcohol abuse and violence against women in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Australian Journal of Psychology 2006; 58: 37.
- Lubek, I, H Lee, S Kros, Wong ML, B Dy, T Van Merode, R Idemo and I Vandermark, "Lessons from social psychology: Changing public opinion and corporate policies about HIV/AIDS in the developing world". Australian Journal of Psychology 2006; 56: 77.
- Tan HH, Roy Chan KW, Wong ML. Sexually Transmitted Infections in Singapore Youths. Dermatology Bulletin. 2006; 17:24-26.
- Tan HH, Wong ML, Chan RK.An epidemiological and knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and practices study of sexually transmitted infections in older men. Singapore Med J. 2006; 47: 886-91.
- Moy FM, Atiya AS, Wong ML. The results of a worksite health promotion program in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Health Promotion International 2006; 21:301-310.
- Theng CT, Sen PR, Chio TW, Tan HH, Wong ML, Chan RK. Seroprevalence of herpes simplex virus-1 and -2 in attendees of a sexually transmitted infection clinic in Singapore. Sex Health. 2006;3(4): 269-74.
- Lubek, I, J Schuster, J Cadesky, K van der Riet, S Ganapathi, Wong ML, S Kros, BC Dy, H Lee ,, R Idema and T van Merode, "Health promotion vs. beer promotion in Cambodia and Canada: Some comparative observations on the social context of social(ir)responsibility and social action responses". Australian Journal of Psychology 2005; 57: 94.
- Wai CT, Mak B, Chua W, Tan MH, Ng S, Cheok A, Wong ML, Lim SG. Misperceptions among patients with chronic Hepatitis B in Singapore. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2005; 32:5002-5005.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, D Koh, Mark B, Chew SK, Wee S. A comparative study of condom use and self-reported sexually transmitted infections between foreign Asian and local clients of sex workers in Singapore. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 2005; 32:439-445.
- Wai CT, Wong ML, S Ng, A Cheok, Tan MH, W Chua, B Mak, Lim SG.. Utility of the Health Belief Model in predicting compliance of screening in patients with Hepatitis B. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 2005; 21:1255-1262.
- Wong ML, Koh D, Phua KH, Lee HP. Teaching community, occupational and family medicine at the National University of Singapore: past, present and the future.Ann Acad Med Singapore 2005; 34; 102C-107C.
- David Koh, Wong ML. Women's occupational health. Editorial. Occupational Medicine 2005; 55: 513-514.
- Wong ML, D Koh, P Iyer, A Seow A, Goh LG, Chia SE, Lim MK, D Ng, Ong CN, Phua KH,. Paul T, V Chow, Chew SK, R Chandran, Lee HP. Online Health Education on SARS to University Students During the SARS Outbreak. International Electronic Journal of Health Education 2005; 8:205-217.
- Wong ML, Chia KS, Yam WM, Teodoro GR, Lau KW. Willingness to donate blood samples for genetic research: a survey from a community in Singapore. Clinical Genetics 2004; 65:45-51.
- Gwee KA, Wee S, Wong ML. The Prevalence, Symptom Characteristics and Impact of Irritable Bowel Syndrome in an Asian Urban Community. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2004; 99:924-31.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, D Koh. The long term effects of condom promotion programmes for vaginal and oral sex on sexually transmitted infections among sex workers in Singapore, 1990-2002. AIDS 2004; 18:1195-1199.
- Wee S, Barrett M, Wong ML, Jayabaskar T, Chan R. Determinants of inconsistent condom use with female sex workers among men attending the STD clinic in Singapore. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2004; 80:310-4.
- Wong ML, CKS, Wee S, Chia SE, Lee J, Koh WP, Shen HM, Thumboo J, Sofjan D. Concerns over participation in genetic research among Malay-Muslims, Chinese and Indians in Singapore: a focus group study. Community Genetics 2004; 44-54.
- Moy FM, Atiya AS, Wong ML. Promoting Healthy Lifestyle in a Workplace an interim finding. MJPHM; 2004:34.
- Wong ML. Designing programmes to address stigma in leprosy: Issues and challenges. The Asia Pacific Disability Rehabilitation Journal. (Guest Editorial) 2004; 15; 2:3-12.
- Kros S, Wong ML, B Dy, S Touch, M McCourt, P Traut and I Lubek, " Exporting Kurt Lewin's (1946) action research to Cambodia: Confronting the cultural, gender and disciplinary particularities of combating HIV/AIDS". Australian Journal of Psychology 2004; 56 (Suppl):75.
- Wong ML, Lubek I, Chemn B D, Kros S, Pen S, Chhit M. Social and behavioural factors associated with condom use among direct sex workers in Siem Reap. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2003; 79:163-165.
- Saw SM, Hong CY, Lee J, Wong ML, Chan MF, Cheng A, Leong KH. Awareness and health beliefs of women towards osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int. 2003;14:595-601.
- Ng TP, Wong ML, Hong CY, Koh KT, Goh LG. The use of complementary and alternative medicine by asthma patients.QJM. 2003; 96: 747-54.
- Lubek I, Wong ML, BC Dy, S J Kros, S Pen, M Chhit, S Touch, M McCourt, P Traut. Only Beer girls, no beer boys in Cambodia: Confronting globalisation and inequalities in literacy, poverty, employment, and risk for HIV, AIDS. Australian Journal of Psychology, 2003:55:51.
- Saw SM, Gazzard G, Friedman D, Foster PJ, Devereux JG, Wong ML, Seah S. Awareness of glaucoma and health beliefs of patients suffering primary acute angle- closure. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2003; 87:446-449.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, Koh D. Promoting condom use for oral sex: its impact on pharyngeal gonorrhoea among female brothel-based sex workers. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2002; 29:311-8.
- Wong ML, P Subramaniam. Socio-cultural Issues in Leprosy Control and Management. The Asia Pacific Disability Rehabilitation Journal. 2002; 13:2: 85-95.
- Wong ML. Can social marketing be applied to leprosy programmes? Leprosy Review. 2002, 73(4), 308-318.
- Wong ML. Evidence-based Health Promotion: Applying it in Practice. Annals Academy of Medicine, Singapore. 2002; 31:656-62.
- Tan JK, Png DJC, Liew LCH, Li MK, Wong ML. Prevalence of Prostatitis-Like Symptoms in Singapore: A Population-based Study. Singapore Med J 2002 ;43:189- 193.
- Tan JK, Hong CY, Png DJC, Liew LCH, Wong ML. Erectile Dysfunction in Singapore: Prevalence and Its Associated Factors – A Population-Based Study. Singapore Med J 2002; 43:557-562.
- Law NM, Wong ML. Psychosocial factors affect the presentation of Irritable Bowel Syndrome in multiracial community. Gastroenterolgy 2002; 122: T1673.
- Lubek I, Wong ML, Meghan M, Chew K L, Chemn B D, Kros S, Pen S, Chhit M, Touch S, Lee TN, Mok V. Collaboratively confronting the current Cambodian HIV/AIDS Crisis in Siem Reap: A cross-disciplinary, cross-cultural ‘participatory action research project in consultative, community health change. Asian Psychologist 2002; 3:21-28.
- Saw SM, Gazzard G, Friedman D, Foster PJ, Devereux JG, Wong ML, Seah S. Awareness of glaucoma and health beliefs of patients suffering primary acute angle- closure. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2003; 87:446-449.
- Lee J, Koh D, Andijani M, Saw SM, Munoz C, Chia SE, Wong ML, Hong CY, Ong CN. Effluents from a pulp and paper mill: a skin and health survey of children living in upstream and downstream villages. Occup Environ Med. 2002; 59:373-9.
- Saw SM, Koh D, Adjani MR, Wong ML, Hong CY, Lee J, Chia SE, Munoz CP, Ong CN.A population-based prevalence survey of skin diseases in adolescents and adults in rural Sumatra, Indonesia, 1999.Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2001 Jul- Aug;95(4):384-8.
- Wee S, Wong ML, Barret ME, Jayabaskar T, Chan RKW. Sexually transmitted diseases and associated risk behaviours among clients of female sex workers attending an STD clinic. Int J STD & AIDS 2001; 12 Suppl 2: 182.
- Jayabaskar T, Wong ML, Chan R, Wee S. Health care seeking behaviour of clients of sex workers attending STD clinic for STD related symptoms. Int J STD & AIDS 2001; 12 Suppl 2: 182.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, Wee S. Sex Workers’ Perspectives on Condom use for oral sex: a qualitative study. Health Education and Behavior 2000; 27:500-514.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, Koh D, Wee S. Factors associated with condom use for oral sex among female brothel-based sex workers in Singapore. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2000; 27:39-45.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, Koh D, Wee S. A prospective study on condom slippage and breakage among female brothel-based sex workers in Singapore. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2000; 27; 208-214.
- Gwee KA, Png D, Wong ML, Wong S. People with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in the community also experience more urinary symptoms. Gastroenterology. 2000; 118(4): Part 2, Suppl 2: 5401.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, Koh D S Q, Wong S, Wee S, Lee E. Promoting Condom Use for Oral Sex Among Brothel Sex Workers in Singapore. Int’l Quarterly of Community health Education 1999-2000; 19:321-339.
- Wong ML, Wee S, Chia HP, Goh LG, Hong CY. Sociodemographic and Lifestyle Factors Associated with Constipation in an Elderly Asian Community. American Journal of Gastroenterology 1999; 94: 1283-1291.
- Wong ML, Goh LG, Chia HP, Wee S, Hong Ching Ye. Correlates of Leisure-Time Physical Activity in an Elderly Population in Singapore American Journal of Public Health 1999;89:1578-1580.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW. A prospective study of pharyngeal gonorrhoea and inconsistent condom use for oral sex among female brothel-based sex workers in Singapore. International Journal of STD & AIDS 1999; 10:595-599.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, Koh D, Wee S. Increase in oral sex and pharyngeal gonorrhea: an unintended effect of a successful condom program for vaginal sex AIDS 1999; 13: 1981-1982.
- Wong ML, Chan RKW, Chua WL, Wee S. Sexually transmitted diseases and condom use among free-lance and brothel-based sex workers in Singapore. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 1999; 26: 593-600.
- Wansaicheong, ASL, Wong ML. A needs assessment and proposal for HIV education among human resource managers in Singapore. Singapore Medical Journal 1998;39:53-58.
- Wong ML, Koh D, Lee MH. Assess workers’ needs and preferences first before planning a physical fitness programme. Occupational Medicine 1998; 48: 37-44.
- Wong ML, Chan Roy KW , Koh D. A sustainable behavioural intervention to increase condom use and reduce gonorrhoea among sex workers in Singapore: 2- Year Follow-up. Preventive Medicine 1998; 27: 891-900.
- Tan, ASL, LS Yong, Wan S, Wong ML. Patient Education in the management of diabetes mellitus. Singapore Medical Journal 1997;38:156-160.
- Wong ML, Koh D, Lee MH. Two-year follow-up of a behavioural weight control programme for adolescents in Singapore: Predictors of long-term weight loss. Annals Academy of Medicine, Singapore. 1997; 26:147-153
- Wong ML, Chan Roy, Lee J, Koh D, Wong Christina. Controlled evaluation of a behavioural intervention programme on condom use and gonorrhoea incidence among sex workers in Singapore. Health Education Research: Theory & Practice. 1996; 11:423-432.
- Wong ML. Behavioural interventions in the control of human immunodeficiency virus and other sexually transmitted diseases. Annals Academy of Medicine, Singapore. 1995; 24:602-7.
- Wong ML, Koh D, Lee J, Lee MH, Fong YT. Influence of life style behaviours on obesity among Chinese adolescents in Singapore. Health Education Journal. 1995; 54:198-20.
- Wong ML, Chan R, Koh D, Wong CM. Theory and action for effective condom promotion. Illustrations from a behaviour intervention project for sex workers in Singapore. International Quarterly of Community Health Education. 1995; 15:405- 421.
- Seow ALH, Wong ML, Smith WCS, Lee HP. Beliefs and attitudes as determinants of cervical cancer screening: A community based study in Singapore Preventive Medicine 1995; 24:134-141.
- Archibald CP, Chan RKW, Wong ML. Evaluation of a safe-sex intervention programme among sex workers. International Journal of STDS & AIDS, 1994; 5:268-272
- Ng TP, Hong CY, Goh LG, Wong ML, Koh KTC. Ling SL. Risks of asthma associated with occupations in a community-based case control study. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 1994:709-718.
- Wong ML, Ng TP, Hong CY, Koh KTC, Goh LG, Ling SL. Understanding asthma: Patients’ survey. Annals Academy of Medicine, Singapore. 1994; 23:861-865.
- Wong ML, Archibald C, Chan R, Goh A, Tan TC, Goh CL. Condom use negotiation among sex workers in Singapore: Findings from qualitative research. Health Education Research: Theory & Practice. 1994; 9:57-67.
- Wong ML, Tan TC, Ho ML, Lim JY, Lim R, Wan S, Chan R. AIDS/ HIV-related knowledge and sexual behavior among female sex workers in Singapore. Health Education Journal. 1994; 53:155-162.
- Wong ML, Ong CN, Tan TC, Phua KH, Goh GL, Koh KTC, Lee HP. Sudden Unexplained Death Syndrome: a review and update. Tropical and Geographical Medicine 1992;44:S1-19.
- Wong ML, Tan TC, Ho ML, Lim JY, Wan S, Chan R. Factors associated with sexually transmitted diseases among prostitutes in Singapore. International Journal of STD & AIDS. 1992; 3:332-7.
- Wong ML, Alsagoff SF, Koh DSQ. Health promotion-A further field to conquer. Singapore Med J 1992; 33:341-346.
- Wong ML, Chen PCY. Self-reliance in health among village women. World Health Forum. 1991; 12(1): 43-8.
- Wong ML. Parental Involvement in promoting physical growth and development of children in child care centres in Malaysia. Journal of the Malaysian Society of Health, 1991; 9:1-6.
- Wong ML, Chen PCY. Smoking behaviour, knowledge and opinion of medical students Med J Malaysia 1989; 44:317-23
- Chen PCY, Wong ML, Ong FPT. The prevalence of endemic goitre in the Keningau Division of Sabah. Asia –Pacific Journal of Public Health 1989; 3:78-81.
IV. Book chapters
- Wong ML. The Berawans in Sarawak, Malaysia. In Osteria T (ed) Women in Community Development. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 1991: 10- 31
- Wong ML, Chan R, Koh D, Wong CM. Theory and action for effective condom promotion. Illustrations from a behaviour intervention project for sex workers in Singapore. In Burchanan D and Cernada G (eds) Progress in Preventing AIDS? Dogma, Dissent and Innovation: Global Perspectives. New York: Baywood Pub. Co.,1998: 243-258.
- Chan R, Goh CL, Wong ML, Chew SK. Sexually transmitted diseases in Asia and the Pacific.Country report: Singapore In Brown T, Chan R, Mugrditchian, Mulhall B, Plummer D (eds). Sexually transmitted diseases in Asia and the Pacific. Hawaii: Venereology Pub Inc. 1998: 280-297.
- Bishop GD and Wong ML. Designing sustainable health promotion: STD and HIV Prevention in Singapore In Mac MacLachlan (ed). Cultivating Health: Cultural perspectives on promoting Health. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons. 2000: 199-226.
- Lubek I, Wong ML. Sites, camera, action: Contemplating the relations among theory, Lewinian “action research” and a community health intervention while touring the Angkor Wat temples. In N. Stephenson, L. Radtke, R. Jorna and H. Stam (Eds). Issues in Theoretical Psychology. Toronto: Captus Press. 2003: 348-357.
- Lubek I, Kros S, Wong ML, H Lee, VM Tiny, R Idema, T Thamarangsi et al. HIV/AIDS and Alcohol Risks in Cambodia: Confronting challenges and policymaking through research-guided actions. In Smith R A. (Ed.). (2013), Global HIV/AIDS politics, policy, and activism: Persistent challenges and emerging issues: Vol.1. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger. Chap 10; pp 203-32.