Department of Epidemiology
- Ph.D. (Epidemiology) 1993
- Johns Hopkins University, School of Public Health, USA
- M.D. (Preventive & Social Medicine) 1977
- University of Rajasthan, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, India
- M.B.B.S. 1973
- University of Rajasthan, SMS Medical College, Jaipur
Dr. Shiv Dutt Gupta is a leading public Health professional with a distinguished academic and research career. He obtained his M.D. (Preventive & Social Medicine) from India, and Ph.D. (Epidemiology) from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA. He was conferred Fellowship of Academy of Medical Science, India (FAMS) for his outstanding contribution in the field of public health. He has done pioneering work of creating and establishing new discipline of health management, and promoting research in health policy and health systems and programmes. Currently Dr Gupta is Corporate Director, Indian Institute of Health Management Research (IIHMR), India and President, IIHMR University. Dr Gupta is Adjunct Professor at the Johns Hopkins University, USA and Visiting Professor at University of Chester, UK. He is Director, WHO Collaborating Centre for District Health Systems at IIHMR facilitating management research and interventions in the health systems in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness of health care. He is the President Elect of WHO SEARO supported South East Asia Public Health Education Network (SEAPHEIN). Prior to this, he was the Secretary General of SEAPHEIN. Dr. Gupta has served as Temporary Advisor to SEARO WHO on several consultation processes. He has served as member of the Technical Review Panel of the Global Fund. He is member of several research advisory committees of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Chairs Project Review Committee of Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. He has championed the cause of quality improvement and capacity building in health care in India and South East Asia. Over the past three and a half decades of his distinguished career, he has completed more than 100 research studies and projects supported by various organizations/agencies and have more than 100 research publications to his credit. The areas of research include: public health and epidemiology, population, reproductive health and nutrition, health systems and management in the health sector. Dr. Gupta is the recipient of QIMPRO Gold Standard Award 2009 for Healthcare.
Leadership and strategic management in Public Health, institution building, health systems planning and evaluation, teaching public health, Epidemiology and Quality of Care, Health survey research and Statistical analysis.
- President, IIHMR University
- Corporate Director, Indian Institute of Health Management Research
- Adjunct Professor, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, USA
- Visiting Professor, University of Chester, UK
- Gupta SD, H1N1 Outbreak in Rajashtan: Methods and Approaches (IIHMR) Institute of Health Management Research, Jaipur.
- Gupta SD, Sharma R, Chaturvedi SK. Arm/Head Ratio in Field assessment of PCM. Jour. Ind. Assoc. Prev. and Soc Med 1978; 3:2.
- Gupta SD, Sharma R, Chaturvedi SK, Gupta R. Weight/ Height Ratio in Assessment of PCM. Indian Jour Pediatr 1979; 46: 337.
- Gupta SD, Sharma R, Gupta OP, Joshi S. A study of feeding patterns in rural preschool children. Indian Jour Pediatr 1979; 46: 232.
- Gupta SD, Jain TP, Joshi S, Mangal DK. Infant mortality in Rajasthan villages. Indian Pediatr 1981; 18: 2.
- Gupta SD, Sharma R. Prevalence of skin disorders among rural preschool children. Archives of Child Health. 1981; 23: 2.
- Gupta SD. Training of Dais. Medico Friend's Circle Bulletin 1979; 6.
- Agarwal CM, Gupta SD, Jain TP, Joshi S. Age independent indices in assessment of PEM. Indian Pediatr 1980; 17.
- Chaturvedi SK, Sharma R, Chaudhari RC, Gupta SD, Dudani IU. Phased program for the involvement of Dais in MCH Services. Rajasthan Medical Journal 1978; 17: 4.
- Chaturvedi SK, Gupta SD. Socio‑demographic characteristics of tubectomy acceptors at Rural Health Training Center, Naila. Rajasthan Medical Journal 1978; 17:4.
- Pokharna KL, Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Jain TP. Control of scabies ‑ Role of hospitals and community. Rajasthan Medical Journal 1980; 17:1.
- Bhargava AK, Gupta SD. Nutritional Intervention Program among rural preschool children ‑ An evaluatory study. Indian Jour Pediatr 1982; 49.
- Gupta SD, Sharma R, Gupta R. Fertility patterns and foetal/child loss in Rural Indian Women. Jour Obst & Gynae India 1982; 32:6.
- Gupta R, Sarkar B, Hazra DK, Gupta SD. Radio‑ immunoassay of LH and FSH in infertile females. Jour Obst & Gynae India 1982; 32:2.
- Gupta SD, Mangal DK. A study of Glycosuria in Rajasthan. Indian Jour of Diabetes 1982.
- Sharma R, Gupta SD. Evaluation strategies ‑ Evaluation of Comprehensive Health Care. Indian Journal of Medical Education 1982; 22:2.
- Mangal DK, Joshi S, Bhargava A, Gupta SD. Priorities of immunization against measles in children. Indian Jour of Community Medicine 1983; 8:1.
- Bhargava A, Mangal DK, Gupta SD. A profile of acceptors of Laproscopic Sterilization. Rajasthan Medical Journal 1984; 23:1.
- Joshi S, Gupta SD, Jain TP. Prevalence of disability in rural areas. Rajasthan Medical Journal 1984; 23:2.
- Joshi S, Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Agarwal CM. A study of defaulters of tuberculosis at Rural Drug Distribution Center. Rajasthan Medical Journal 1983; 22:2.
- Gupta SD, Gupta R, Zafar A, Mangal DK, Sharma R. Control of anemia among pregnant women by iron supplementation. Indian Journal of Public Health 1983; 27:1.
- Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Sharma LC. Obesity as predisposing factor to diabetes. Indian Journal of Public Health 1983; 27:3.
- Haldiya KR, Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Sharma R. Percentile and normal distribution of Blood Pressure in population and determination of 'cut off' points. Indian Journal of Public Health 1984; 28:1.
- Haldiya KR, Gupta SD, Sharma R, Mangal DK. Prevalence of hypertension in urban community. Indian Jour. Community Medicine 1983; 8:3.
- Bhargava A Gupta SD. Nutritional supplementation ‑ punctuating constraints in severely malnourished children. Indian Jour Pediatr 1982; 50.
- Field Workers Disc Appropriate Health Technology for Health, Human Nutrition. News Letter 1983; 2.
- Sharma R, Gupta SD. Problems of Manpower development in Health Services Research. Indian Jour Med Educ 1984; Sep-Dec.
- Pokharna KL, Gupta SD. Motivation and Communication in family planning. Rajasthan Medical Journal 1985; 26:1.
- Gupta SD, Sharma R, Zafar A, Mangal DK, Joshi S, Jain TP. Immunization Among Children : An Alternate Strategy. Indian Paediatrics 1985; 22.
- Gupta SD, Sharma A, Gupta R. Relation of Fertility with Foetal/Child loss among Rural Indian Women. Rajasthan Medical Journal 1987; 26:1.
- Prevalence and incidence of poliomyelitis in children in Jaipur city. Indian Journal of Community Medicine, vol 15, Apr-June, 1990.
- Epidemiology of measles and its complications in non-hospitalized children. Indian Journal of Community Medicine, vol 15, Jul-Sept, 1990.
- Coverage Evaluation Survey of Immunization in Eleven States of India. Indian Journal of Community Medicine 1990; 15:4.
- Shah KC, Bansal RK, Gupta SD, Tomar VNS. Prevalence and Incidence of Poliomyelitis in Jaipur city. Indian Journal of Community Medicine 1990; 15:2.
- Mangal N, Shah KC, Sitaraman S, Gupta SD. Epidemiology of Measles and its complications in non‑hospitalized children. Indian Journal of Community Medicine 1990; 15:3.
- Mathur R, Gupta SD. Phage typing in epidemiological investigations of cholera. Under consideration of the Editorial Board, Indian Jour. of Public Health.
- Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Jain TP. An epidemiological study of diabetes mellitus in an urban community of Jaipur City. Indian Jour. of Medical Research.
- Jain, Nutan P and Gupta, S.D. Bachon ka Jeene ka Adhikaar: Rajasthan ka Sandharbh mein’ Rachana – RVJAI – Biannual, May-June, 1997
- Sodani PR, SD Gupta. Household Healthcare Expenditure in Tribal Areas of Rajasthan. MARGIN. 30:4, 1998
- Gupta, S.D., Penelope Keyl : Field Evaluation of Effectiveness of Maternal Tetanus Toxoid Immunization in a Rural Area in India: Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 1998: 17:14
- Kumar D and SD Gupta. Quality of Family Planning Services: Lessons from Concurrent Evaluation. Journal of Health Management: 1:2; 261-275.1999
- Singh LP and SD Gupta. Utilization of the Healthcare System. In Rajasthan Ecology, Culture and Society, Human Ecology Special. Issue No.7 eds. M.K.Bhasin and Veena Bhasin, Kamla Raj, Delhi. 1999.
- Gupta SD, P. Keyl and R Gupta. A Study of Causes of Neonatal Mortality and Impact of Maternal Tetanus Toxoid Immunization on Child Survival, International Child Health, 1999.
- Sodani PR, SD Gupta and GMK Madnani. Household Financing for Health Care in Rajasthan. Rajasthan Economic Journal, 22 (2): 36-44. 1998. Published in 2000
- Jain, Nutan, S.D.Gupta and L.P. Singh. Meeting Reproductive and Sexual Health Needs of Adolescents : A Strategic Approach for Rajasthan, India, IIHMR Working Paper No.4, 2002
- Kumar, Ch. Satish, S.D.Gupta, Dhirendra Kumar, J.P. Singh. Reproductive Tract Infections and their associated risk factors among the women in Bundi District of Rajasthan in Journal of Human Ecology, Vol. II (6), 2002.
- Sodani, P.R. and S.D. Gupta. Household Health Care Expenditure in Tribal Areas of Rajasthan. Asian Economic Review, re (1): 95-106.
- S.D. Gupta. Adolescent Reproductive Health in India: Status, Policies, Programs and Issues. Policy Project, USAID. 2003.
- S.D. Gupta, P.C. Dash, Barun Kanjilal. Strengthening District Health System through Management Interventions. IIHMR, India, 2005.
- S.D. Gupta, N.. Ravichandran, Dhirendra Kumar. Training for effective delivery of health services. Financing and Delivery of Health Care Services in India
- S.D. Gupta, Preeti Gupta and Anoop Khanna. Changes in IMR in Rajasthan over 25 years. Health and Population: Perspectives and Issues Vol. 32(2), 105-111, 2009.
- Shiv D Gupta, Anoop Khanna, Rajeshwari Gupta, Nand K Sharma, Narottam D. Sharma. Maternal Mortality Ratio and Predictors of Maternal Deaths in Selected Districts in Rajasthan – A community Based Survey and Case Control Study. Women’s Health Issues 20 (2010) 80-85, Elsevier.
- Dipti Govil and S.D. Gupta. Millennium Development Goals in Rajasthan: A Review. Working Paper, Indian Institute of Health Management Research, Jaipur. 2010.
- Abhishek Dadhich, S.D. Gupta, Anil Sharma. Pharmacoeconomics in Health Care Services, CBS E-Journal, Biz n Bytes. June 2010; Issue 4.
- Shiv Dutt Gupta, Vivek Lal, Rohit Jain, Om Prakash Gupta, Modeling of H1N1 Outbreak in Rajasthan: methods and Approaches,Indian Journal of Community medicine, Vol 36, Issue 1, January 2011
- S.D. Gupta, Epidemiologic investigation of excess maternal and neonatal deaths and evidence-based low-cost public health interventions - Ignaz Semmelweis: the etiology, concept and prophylaxis of child bed fever, WHO South-East Asia Journal of Public Health Vol 1, Issue 4, October – December 2012, 477.
- Govil D ; Khanna A, Gupta S.D. “Motherhood: Blessing or curse: Case, Reference no: 712-029-1” European Case Clearing House, UK (2012).
- Shiv Dutt Gupta, Vivek Lal, Vinod Kumar S.V. “Rational Use of Medicines: An Audit of Private Practitioner’s Prescription” [Book Review], Journal of Health Management 14, 3 (2012) 297 – 303
- Sunil Bhatnagar, Vivek Lal, Shiv D. Gupta, Om P. Gupta. “Forecasting Incidence of Dengue in Rajasthan, Using Time Series Analyses” Indian Journal of Public Health, Vol. 56,Issue 4, Oct-Dec 2012
- S.D. Gupta, “Enhancing Role of District Hospitals and Community Health Centers in Primary Health Care in Rajasthan: A Case Study”, Journal of Health Management, March 2014 16(1) 53–65.