Department of Biotatistics
Saint Louis University College for Public Health & Social Justice
- August 2004 Ph.D, Statistics, North Carolina State University
- May 1996 M.S, Statistics, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, China
- May 1993 B.S, Mathematics, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, China
Jing Wang, PhD has been actively engaged in research in her research areas and has published peer-reviewed research papers in high-quality statistical journals. Dr. Wang's research areas have a broad application scope and provide valuable opportunities for collaborative, inter-and cross-disciplinary research. She has been working as Statistical Consultant with faculty and researchers from many disciplines to offer statistical advice and research direction. Some of these consultations even led to publications. Dr. Wang is also proficient in several programming languages including Fortran, SAS, R, SPSS, Splus, and Stata. The courses she has taught include multilevel and Longitudinal Data Analysis, Categorical Data Analysis, Experimental Statistics, Statistical Inference, and Statistical Data Mining. Prior to joining the faculty in the Department of Biostatistics, Dr. Wang was Associate Professor of Experimental Statistics at LSU, where she excelled in teaching biostatistics. Dr. Wang received her B.S. (Mathematics) and her M.S. (Statistics) from Northeast Normal University in Changchun, China, and her Ph.D. (Statistics) from North Carolina State University. Dr. Wang focuses her research primarily on statistical applications in health and include Nonlinear Mixed Effects Models, Generalized Linear Models, Bayesian Statistics, Nonparametric analysis, Statistical Computing, and Multivariate Statistics. She has taught statistical methods at various different levels, has won several teaching awards.
Multilevel and Longitudinal Data Analysis, Bayesian Statistics, Hierarchical/Multilevel Modeling, Generalized Linear Models, Nonparametric analysis, Statistical Computing, and Multivariate Statistics.
|Fall 2011-Present||Associate Professor||Dept. of Biotatistics||Saint Louis University College for Public Health and Social Justice|
|Fall 2010-May2011||Associate Professor||Dept. of Experimental Statistics||Louisiana State University|
|Fall 2004-Spring 2010||Assistant Professor||Dept. of Experimental Statistics||Louisiana State University|
|Fall 2000-Fall 2003||Teaching Assistant||Dept. of Statistics||North Carolina State University|
|Fall 1996-Fall 1999||Assistant Professor||Dept. of Mathematics||Jinan University, China|
Peer-reviewed journal articles and chapters
- Dong GH, Wang J, Zeng XW, Chen L, Qin XD, Zhou Y, Li M, Yang M, Zhao Y, Ren WH, Hu QS (2015). Interactions Between Air Pollution and Obesity on Blood Pressure and Hypertension in Chinese Children. Epidemiology. 26(5):740-7. doi: 10.1097/EDE.0000000000000336.
- Ma YN, Wang J, Lee YL, Ren WH, Lv XF, He QC, Dong GH (2015). Association of urine CC16 and lung function and asthma in Chinese children. Allergy Asthma Proc. 36(4):59-64. doi: 10.2500/aap.2015.36.3853.
- Vaughna MG, Salas-Wrightb CP, Qian ZM, Wang J (2015). Evidence of a ‘refugee paradox’ for antisocial behavior and violence in the United States. The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology. 26, 624-631.
- Liu YQ, Qian Z, Wang J, Lu T, Lin S, Zeng XW, Liu RQ, Zhu Y, Qin XD, Yuan P, Zhou Y, Li M, Hao YT, Dong GH (2015). Breastfeeding modifies the effects of environment tobacco smoke exposure on respiratory diseases and symptoms in Chinese children: the Seven Northeast Cities Study. Indoor Air. doi: 10.1111/ina.12240.
- Ma YN, Qian Z, Wang J, Rodemich E, Lee YL, Lv XF, Liu YQ, Zhao Y, Huang MM, Liu Y, Sun J, He QC, Dong GH (2015). Environmental tobacco smoke exposure, urine CC-16 levels, and asthma outcomes among Chinese children. Allergy. 70(3):295-301. doi: 10.1111/all.12559.
- Huang MM, Qian Z, Wang J, et al (2014). Validation of the Sleep Disturbance Scale for Children and prevalence of parent-reported sleep disorder symptoms in Chinese children. Sleep Medicine. 15(8): 923-928.
- Qian Z, Dong GH, Ren, WH, Simckes M, Wang J, Zelicoffe A, Trevathana E (2014). Effect of pet ownership on respiratory responses to air pollution in Chinese children: The Seven Northeastern Cities (SNEC) study. Atmospheric Environment. 87, 47–52.
- Dong GH, Qian Z, Wang J, Chen WQ, Ma WJ, Trevathan E, Liu MM, Wang D, Ren WH, Chen W, Simckes M, Zelicoff A (2014). Home renovation, family history of atopy, and respiratory symptoms and asthma among children living in China. American Journal of Public Health. 104(10):1920-7. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301438.
- Elder K, Keon Gilbert K, Johns M, Piper, Hanke LM, Wiltshire J, Dean C, Moore T, Rice S, Wang J (2014). Disparities in Confidence to Manage Chronic Diseases in Men. AIMS Public Health. 1(3), 123-136.
- Dong GH, Qian Z, Liu M, Wang D, Ren W, Flick L, Fu Q, Wang J, Chen W, Simckes M, and Trevathan E (2014). Ambient air pollution and the prevalence of obesity in Chinese children: The Seven Northeastern Cities Study. Obesity. 22(3), 795–800. doi:10.1002/oby.20198.
- Wang D, Qian Z, Wang J, et al (2014). Gender-specific differences in associations of overweight and obesity with asthma and asthma-related symptoms in 30 056 children: result from 25 districts of Northeastern China. J Asthma. 51(5):508-14. doi: 10.3109/02770903.2014.892963.
- Yang S, Zhang B, Zhao J, Wang J, Zheng Q, Flick L, Zhang D, Mei H (2014). Progress on the Maternal Mortality Ratio Reduction in Wuhan, China in 2001–2012. PLOS ONE. 9(2): e89510. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0089510.
- Dong G., Zheng Q, Trevathan E, Zeng XW, Vaughn M, Wang J, et al (2014). Air Pollution associated hypertension and increased blood pressure may be reduced by breastfeeding in Chinese children. Int J Cardiol. 176(3):956-61.
- Elder K, Meret-Hanke L, Dean C, Wiltshire J, Gilbert KL, Wang J, et al (2014). How Do African American Men Rate Their Health Care?: An Analysis of the Consumer Assessment of Health Plans 2003-2006. Am J Mens Health. PMID: 24785426
- Mostello D, Chang JJ, Bai F, Wang J, Guild C, Stamps K, Leet TL (2014). Breech presentation at delivery: a marker for congenital anomaly? Journal of Perinatology. 34(1):11-5. doi: 10.1038/jp.2013.132.
- Cao Q and Wang J (2014). Evaluation of Methods for Calibrating a Tree Taper Equation. For. Sci. 60. http://dx.doi.org/10.5849/forsci.14-008.
- Jirangrat W, Wang J, et al (2014). The split plot with repeated randomised complete block design can reduce psychological biases in consumer acceptance testing. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 49(4), 1106-1111.
- Ma Y, Wang J, et al (2013). Predictive Equations Using Regression Analysis of Pulmonary Function for Healthy Children in Northeast China. PLOS ONE. 8(5). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0063875.
- Rebmann T, Wang J, Reddick D, Swick Z, delRosario J J (2013). Business Continuity and Pandemic Preparedness: U.S. Healthcare vs. Non-Healthcare Agencies. American Journal of Infection Control. 41(4), e27-e33. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2012.09.010.[PMID: 23337305].
- Zhang YH, Wang J, Dong GH, Liu MM, Wang D, Zheng L, Jin YH (2013). Mechanism of perfluorooctanesulfonate (PFOS)-induced apoptosis in the immunocyte. J Immunotoxicol. 10(1):49-58.
- Deng W, Wang J, Liu M, Wang D, Zhao Y, Liu Q, Wang H, and Dong GH (2013). Body mass index compared with abdominal obesity indicators in relation to prehypertension and hypertension in adults: the CHPSNE Study. American Journal of Hypertension. 26(1):58-67.
- Rebmann T, Wang J, Reddick D, Swick Z, and Minden-Birkenmaier C. (2013). Healthcare versus non-healthcare businesses’ experiences during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic: financial impact, vaccination policies, and control measures implemented . American Journal of Infection Control. 41(6):e49-54.doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2012.09.012.
- Rebmann T, Carrico R, Wang J (2013). Physiologic and other effects and compliance with long-term respirator use among medical intensive care unit nurses. Am J Infect Control. 41(12):1218-23.
- Dong GH, Wang J, Liu M, Wang D, Lee YL, Zhao YD (2012). Allergic predisposition modifies the effects of pet exposure on respiratory disease in boys and girls: the seven northeast cities of china (SNECC) study. Environmental Health. 11:50. doi: 10.1186/1476-069X-11-50.
- Wang H, Wang J, Liu M, Wang D, Liu Y, Zhao Y, Huang M, Y, Sun J and Dong GH (2012). Epidemiology of general obesity, abdominal obesity and related risk factors in urban adults from 33 communities of northeast china: the CHPSNE study. BMC Public Health. 12:967. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-12-967.
- Dong GH, Qian Z, Wang J, Chen WQ, Ma WJ, Trevathan E, Xaverius PK, DeClue R., Wiese A, Langston M, Liu MM, Wang D, Ren WH (2013). Associations between ambient air pollution and prevalence of stroke and cardiovascular diseases in 33 Chinese communities. Atmospheric Environment. 77: 968-973.
- Zhao Y, Qian ZM, Wang J, Vaughn MG, Liu YQ, Ren WH, Dong GH (2013). Does obesity amplify the association between ambient air pollution and increased blood pressure and hypertension in adults? Findings from the 33 Communities Chinese Health Study. Int J Cardiol. 168(5):e148-50. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2013.08.071.
- Dong GH, Qian ZM, Liu MM, Wang D, Ren WH, Bawa S, Fu J, Wang J, Lewis R, Zelicoff A, Simckes M, Trevathan E (2013). Breastfeeding as a modifier of the respiratory effects of air pollution in children. Epidemiology. 24(3):387-394.
- Dong GH, Qian Z, Xaverius P, Trevathan E, Maalouf S, Parker J, Yang L, Liu M, Wang D, Ren W, Ma W, Wang J, Zelicoff A, Fu Q, and Simckes M (2013). Association Between Long-Term Air Pollution and Increased Blood Pressure and Hypertension in China. Hypertension. 61(3):578-84
- Dong GH, Qian Z, Liu M, Wang D, Ren W, Fu Q, Wang J, Simckes M, Ferguson F, and Trevathan E (2013). Obesity Enhanced Respiratory Health Effects of Ambient Air Pollution in Chinese Children: the Seven Northeastern Cities (SNEC) Study. International Journal of Obesity. 37(1):94-100.
- Dong GH, Qian Z, Wang J, Trevathan E, Ma WJ. Chen WQ, Xaverius PK, Buckner-Petty K, Ray A, Liu MM, Wang D, Ren WH, Emo B, Chang JJ. Residential characteristics and household risk factors and respiratory diseases in Chinese women: The Seven Northeast Cities (SNEC) Study. Science of The Total Environment. 463-464C:389-394. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.
- Dong GH, Qian Z, Fu Q, Wang J, Trevathan E, Ma W, Liu MM, Wang D, Ren WH, Ong KH, Ferguson TF, Riley E, Simckes M. A Multiple Indicators Multiple Cause (MIMIC) Model of Respiratory Health and Household Factors in Chinese Children: The Seven Northeastern Cities (SNEC) Study (In Press). Maternal Child Health J. 18(1):129-37.
- Macones GA, Chang JJ, Stamilio DM, Odibo AO, Wang J, Cahill AG (2013). Prediction of cesarean delivery using the fetal-pelvic index (In Press). Am J Obstet Gynecol. 209(5):431.e1-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2013.06.026.
- Elder K, Meret-hanke L, Dean C, Wiltshire J, Gilbert K, Wang J, Shacham E, Barnidge E, Baker E, Wray R, Moore (2013). Disparities in confidence to manage health. International Journal of Men’s Health. 12(3): 260-275.
- Wang J (2012). Bayesian quantile regression for parametric nonlinear mixed effects models (2012). Statistical Methods & Applications. 21(3): 279-295.
- Zanovec M, Wang J, and O'Neil C (2012). Development and Comparison of Two Field-Based Body Fat Prediction Equations: NHANES 1999-2004. International Journal of Exercise Science. 5(3): 223-231.
- Dong GH, Wang J, Liu M, Wang D, Zheng L, and Jin Y (2012). Induction of p53-mediated apoptosis in splenocytes and thymocytes of C57BL/6 mice exposed to perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS). Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 264(2):292-9.
- Quang C and Wang J (2011). Calibrating fixed- and mixed-effects taper equations. Forest Ecology and Management. 262(4): 671-673.
- Zanovec M, Wang J. West K, and Tuuri G (2011). Quantitative Ultrasound Normative Reference Data for Community-Dwelling White and Black Females in the United States. Journal of Clinical Densitometry: Assessment of Skeletal Health. 14(2):116-21.
- Schowalter T, Fonte S, Geaghan J, and Wang J (2011). Effects of manipulated herbivore inputs on nutrient flux and decomposition in a tropical rainforest in puerto rico. Oecologia. 167(4):1141-9.
- Huang F, Ghimire M, Leonard B, Wang J, Daves C, Levy R, Cook D, Head P, Yang Y, Temple J, and Ferguson R (2011). F2 screening for resistance to pyramided Bacillus thuringiensis maize in Louisiana and Mississippi populations of Diatraea saccharalis (Lepidoptera: Crambidae). Pest Management Science.
- 67(10):1269-76. Wang J (2010). Dirichlet Processes in nonlinear mixed effects models. Communication in Statistics-Simulation and Computation. 39(3): 539-556.
- Wang J (2010). Gibbs sampling in DP-based nonlinear mixed effects models. Journal of Applied Statistics. 37(2):325-340.
- Wang J (2010). A non-parametric approach using Dirichlet Presses for hierarchical generalized linear mixed models. Journal of Data Science. 8: 43-59.
- Kelley M, Palcic J, Vigna J, Wang J, Spell W, Pellegrin A, Davidson L, Self-Brown S, Ruggiero J, Kilmer P, Gil-Rivas V, Tedeschi G, and Calhouns G (2010). Chapter 3: The effects of parenting behavior on children’s mental health after hurricane katrina: preliminary findings. Helping families and communities recover from disaster.
- Abadie A, Christy A, Jones J, Wang J and Lima M (2009). Longitudinal survey of female faculty in biological and agriculture engineering. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. 52(4): 1397-1405.
- Spell A, Kelley M, Wang J, Self-Brown S, Davidson L, Pellegrin A, Palcic L, Meyer K, Paasch V, and Baumeister A (2008). The moderating effects of maternal psychopathology on children’s adjustment post-hurricane Katrina. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. 37(3):553-63.
- Wang J (2007). EM algorithms for nonlinear mixed effects models. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis. 51(6):3244-3256.
- Habib E, Nuttle W, Rivera-Monroy V, Gautam S, Wang J, Meselhe E, and Twilley R. Assessing effects of data limitations on salinity forecasting in Barataria basin, Louisiana, with a Bayesian analysis (2007). Journal of Coastal Research. 23(3): 749-763.
- Wang J. and Genton M (2006). The multivariate skew-slash distribution. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference. 136:209-220.