Department of Public Health
Florida International University
- 1986, Ph.D. Sociology/Demography, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 1973, M.S. Community Health Planning & Administration, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 1966, B.S. Biology, Longwood College, Farmville, Virginia
Dr. H. Virginia McCoy has been a faculty member at Florida International University for 27 years. She is the doctoral program coordinator for the Department of Health Promotion & Disease Prevention and teaches primarily doctoral courses on grant writing, theory development, and policy/practice in health promotion. She is director of the South Florida Public Health Training Center and collaborates with the Florida Department of Health and local health departments. She is a founding member of the Florida Institute of Health Innovation and is a member of the Board of Directors. She has maintained a research program in disparities in HIV/AIDS and drug and alcohol abuse among minority and migrant populations.
Intervention studies, Public health inequalities, Community-based participatory research.
Full-Time Academic Experience
|Florida International University||Assoc Dean, Department of Health Promotion & Disease Prevention, Stempel School of Public Health||5/04- 12/10|
|Florida International University||Professor, Department of Public Health, Stempel School of Public Health||5/01 – Present|
|Florida International University||Assoc Prof, Department of Public Health||5/93 - 4/01|
|Florida International University||Asst Prof, Department of Public Health||8/90 - 4/93|
|Florida International University||Visiting Asst Prof, Health Services Administration and Public Health Program||9/86 - 8/90|
Part-Time Academic Experience
- 9/84 to 6/86 Visiting Asst Prof., Sociology, University of Cincinnati.
|Place of Employment||Title||Dates|
|Clermont County Welfare Department||Administrative Asst||1979-1981|
|University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs||Staff Assistant||4/79 - 7/79|
|Urban Appalachian Council, Cincinnati||Research Director||1973 - 1978|
|Health Planning Association of the Central Ohio River Valley, Cincinnati||Student Intern||1972 -1973|
|Board of Education, Henrico Co., Virginia||Teacher||1966 -1967|
Employment Record At Fiu
|Doctoral Program Coordinator, Dept.||RSCPHSW – Department of HPDP||2011- Present|
|Associate Dean for Community Health Community Engagement||Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work||2009 – 2011|
|Interim Chair, Health Policy & Mgt||Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work||2010-2011|
|Associate Dean for Academic Affairs||Stempel School of Public Health||2007 - 2008|
|Chair, Department of Health Promotion & Disease Prevention||Stempel School of Public Health||2006 - 2009|
|Director of Outreach & PH Practice||Stempel School of Public Health||2004 - 2007|
|Dissertation Advisor Status||Stempel School of Public Health||2005 - Present|
|Graduate Faculty||Stempel School of Public Health||2003 - Present|
|Director||Center/Program for Health Research & Policy 2008 change to Program||2002 – Present|
|Professor||Department of Public Health||2001 - Present|
|Department Chair||Department of Public Health||1996 - 2002|
|Associate Professor||Department of Public Health||1993 - 2001|
|Assistant Professor||Department of Public Health||1990 - 1993|
|Visiting Asst Prof||Department of Health Services||1986 - 1990|
Books, Book Chapters
- McCoy HV, Malow R, Edwards RW, Thurland A, and Rosenberg R. 2009. Evidence-Based Community Intervention, The Community Readiness Model. In Cynthia Pope, Renee T. White, and Robert Malow (eds), HIV/AIDS Global frontiers in prevention/intervention, Pp. 228-237. New York and London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Groups.
- McBride DB, Mutch PB, Kicher C, Inciardi JA, McCoy HV, Pottieger AE. 1996. Barriers to Treatment Among Crack-Dependent and Other Drug-Abusing Inner-City Women. In Chitwood, Rivers, Inciardi. The American Pipe Dream: Crack Cocaine and the Inner City. Fort Worth: Harcourt, Brace Publishers.
- Metsch LR, McCoy HV, and Weatherby NL. 1996. Women and Crack. In Chitwood, DD, Rivers, JE, Inciardi JA. In: The American Pipe Dream: Crack Cocaine and the Inner City, Pp. 71-88. Fort Worth: Harcourt, Brace Publishers.
- Inciardi JA, Page JB, McBride DC, Chitwood DD, McCoy CB, McCoy HV, and Trapido E. 1995. The Risk of Exposure to HIV-Contaminated Needles in Shooting Galleries, JA Inciardi and K McElrath (eds.), In: The American Drug Scene Los Angeles: Roxbury Publishing Co.
- McCoy HV, Miles C, and Inciardi JA. 1995. Survival Sex: Inner-City Women and Crack-Cocaine. James A. Inciardi and Karen McElrath (eds.), In: The American Drug Scene. Pp. 172-177. Los Angeles: Roxbury Publishing Co.
- McCoy HV, Trevino DG, and McCoy CB. 1994. Appalachian Women: Between Two Cultures. P. Obermiller and K. Borman, In: From Mountain to Metropolis: Appalachian Migrants in American Cities. Westport, CN: Greenwood Publishing Group, Inc.
- Watkins-McCoy HV, and Trevino DG. 1982 Occupational and Employment Status of Appalachian Migrant Women, in Richard Simon (ed.), Critical Essays in Appalachian Life and Culture, Appalachian Consortium Press.
- McCoy CB, Brown JS, and Watkins-McCoy HV. 1981. Implications of Migration Stream Data for Urban Appalachians, in William Philliber and Clyde B. McCoy (ed.), The Invisible Minority: Urban Appalachians, University Press of Kentucky, Lexington.
- McCoy CB, and Watkins-McCoy V. 1981. Appalachian Youth in Cultural Transition, Proceedings of the 1980 Appalachian Studies Conference: Appalachia/America, Appalachian Regional Commission.
- McCoy CB, and Watkins-McCoy HV. 1981. Stereotypes of Urban Appalachians, in W Philliber and CB McCoy (ed.), The Invisible Minority: Urban Appalachians, University Press of Kentucky, Lexington.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- McCoy, HV, Williams ML, Atkinson, JS, Rubens M. (2015) Structural Characteristics of Migrant Farmworkers Reporting a Relationship with a Primary Care Physician. J Immigrant Minority Health (in press) DOI 10.1007/s10903-015-0265-2.
- McCoy HV, Shehadeh N, Rubens M. (2015) Alcohol use and sexual risk behaviors in a migrant worker community. J Immigr Minor Health. (in press).
- McCoy HV, Shehadeh N, Rubens M., Navarro, C (2014). Newcomer Status as a Protective Factor Among Hispanic Migrant Workers for HIV Risk. Frontiers in Public Health. 2:216-223. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2014.00216
- Capriles J, McCoy HV, Rios, R, Darrow, W, Rubens, M, Silva-Siarez, G., Hughes, S. (2014). Promoting Workforce Diversity: a Needs Assessment of Health Department Employees in Puerto Rico and Florida. Health Promotion Practice. 15:S1().
- Shehadeh, N. & McCoy, H. V. (2013). Risky Sexual Behaviors: Ethnic Identity’s Role with HIV Risk among Migrant Workers. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care.
- Melchior, M. A., Seff, L. R., McCoy, H. V., Albatineh, A. N., Page, T. F., Palmer, R. C. (in press). Intermediate Outcomes of the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program Offered by Members of the Healthy Aging Regional Collaborative of South Florida. Research on Aging.
- Rubens M, McCoy HV, Shehadeh N. (2013). Proficiency in condom use among migrant workers. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. 25(3):233-242. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2013.04.007. PMID: 23876817.
- Shehadeh N, McCoy HV, Rubens MB, Batra A, Renfrew R, and Winter K. (2012). The Impact of Ethnic Identity on Changes in High Risk HIV Behaviors in Sexually Active Migrant Workers. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 14(1):100-106.
- McCoy HV, Hlaing WW, Ergone-Rowe E, Samuels D, Malow R. (2009). Lessons from the fields: a migrant HIV prevention project. Public Health Reports 124:6(790-796).
- Hlaing WW, McCoy HV. (2008). Differences in HIV-Related Hospitalization among White, Black and Hispanic Men and Women of Florida. Women and Health 17:2(1-18).
- Porter B, Porter L, McCoy V, Lima M, Pryce C, and Nunnewar S. Methodological Challenges in Intervention Studies with Substance-abusing Mothers. In Press. Research in Nursing and Health. Spring 2007.
- McCoy HV, Malow, R., Edwards, RW, Thurland, A., Rosenberg, R. (2007). A Strategy for Improving Community Effectiveness of HIV/AIDS Intervention Design: The Community Readiness Model in the Caribbean. Substance Use and Misuse 42:9(701-712).
- Marcelin LH, McCoy HV, DiClemente, RJ. HIV knowledge and beliefs among Haitian adolescents in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Journal of HIV/AIDS Prevention in Children and Youth 7(1), 2006 (pp. 121-128).
- Drumm, RD, McCoy HV, Lemon, A. 2003. Technology trauma: Barriers to increasing technology utilization. Social Work and Health. 37(4): 39-56.
- McCoy HV, Messiah, SE, and Yu Z. 2002. Improving access to primary health care for chronic drug users: An innovative systemic intervention for providers. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research. 29(4) 445-457.
- McCoy HV and Vila CK. 2002. Tech knowledge: Introducing computers for coordinated care. Health & Social Work. 27 (1): 71-74.
- Chitwood, DD, Comerford, M, McCoy, HV. 2002. Satisfaction with access to health care among injection drug users, other drug users, and nonusers. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research 29(2):189-197.
- McCoy HV and Wasserman A. 2001. Gender differences in condom usage among rural crack-using men and women. Women and Health 33:1-2, 143-162.
- Williams M, Ross, MW, Bowen AM, Timpson S, McCoy HV, Perkins K, Saunders L, Young P. (2001). An investigation of condom use by frequency of sex. Sexual Transmission Inf. 77:433-435.
- Timson SC, Pollak KI, Bowen AM, Williams ML, Ross MW, McCoy CB, McCoy HV (2001). Gender differences in the processes of change for condom use: patterns across stages of change in crack cocaine users. Health Education Research: Theory and Practice. 16(5):541-553.
- McCoy HV, Messiah SE, and Yu Z. (2001). Perpetrators, victims and observers of violence: Chronic and non-chronic drug users. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 16:9.
- Bowen, A., Williams, M., McCoy, H. V., & McCoy, C. B. (2001). Theory grounded, empirical development of an HIV Sexual risk reduction intervention for not-in-treatment crack users and their loved partners. AIDS Care, 13, 579-594
- McCoy CB, McCoy HV, Lai S, Yu Z, Wang X, and Meng J. (2001) Reawakening the dragon: Changing patterns of opiate abuse in Asia, with particular emphasis on China’s Yunnan Province. Substance Use and Misuse, 35:1&2.
- Williams, M., H. McCoy, A. Bowen, L. Saunders, R. Freeman, and D. Chen (2001). An evaluation of a brief HIV risk reduction intervention using empirically derived drug use and sexual risk indices. AIDS and Behavior, 5, 31-43
- McCoy CB, Metsch LR, Chitwood DD, Rivers JE, McCoy HV, and Messiah S. 2000. Health services for chronic drug users in an era of managed care: The University of Miami Community-Based Health Services Research Center. Advances in Medical Sociology, 7:151-174.
- Tortu S, Beardsley M, Deren S, Williams M, McCoy HV, Stark M, Estrada A, and Goldstein M. 2000. HIV infection and patterns of risk among women drug injectors and crack users in low and high sero-prevalence sites. AIDS Care, 12(1):65-76.
- Williams ML, Bowen AM, Elwood WN, McCoy CB, McCoy HV, Freeman RC, Weatherby NL, and Pierce T. 2000. Determinants of condom use among African Americans who smoke crack cocaine. Culture, Health, and Sexuality, 2(1):15-32.
- Aversa SL, McCoy HV, and Crandall LA. 1999. Crack users’ intentions to use condoms with different partner types. Population Research and Policy Review, 18(1-2):137-153.
- McCoy CB, Metsch LR, McCoy HV, and Lai S. 1999. A gender comparison of HIV and drug use across the rural-urban continuum. Population Research and Policy Review, 18(1-2):71-87.
- McCoy CB, Metsch LR, McCoy HV , and Weatherby NL. 1999. HIV seroprevalence across the rural/urban continuum. Substance Use and Misuse, 34(4&5):595 615.
- McCoy HV, McCoy CB, Lai S, Weatherby NL, and Messiah SE. 1999. Behavior changes among crack-using rural and urban women. Substance Use and Misuse, 34(4&5):667-684.
- McCoy HV, Weatherby NL, and Yu Z. 1999. The effect of migration patterns on exposure to HIV prevention in a migrant community. Population Research and Policy Review, 18(1-2):155-168.
- Metsch LR, McCoy HV, McCoy CB, Miles CC, Edlin BR, Pereyra M. 1999. Use of Health Care Services by Women Who Use Crack Cocaine. Women and Health, 30(1): 35-51.
- Weatherby NL, McCoy HV, Metsch LR, Bletzer KV, McCoy CB, and DeLaRosa MR. 1999. Crack Cocaine Use in Rural Migrant Populations: Living Arrangements and Social Support. Substance Use and Misuse, 34(4&5): 685-706.
- Goodkin K, Shapshak P, Metsch L, McCoy CB, Crandall KA, Kumar M, Fujimura RK, McCoy HV, Zhang BT, Reyblat S, Xin KQ , and Kumar AM. 1998. Cocaine Abuse and HIV-1 Infection: Epidemiology and Neuropathogenesis. Journal of Neuroimmunology, 83:88-101.
- He H, McCoy HV, Stevens S, and Stark MJ. 1998. Violence and HIV Sexual Risk Behaviors Among Female Sex Partners of Male Drug Users. Women and Health, 27():161-175.
- Jones DL, Irwin KL, Inciardi J, Bowser B, Schilling R, Word C, Evans P, Faruque S, McCoy HV, Edlin BR, and the Multicenter Crack Cocaine and HIV Infection Study Team. 1998. The High Sexual Practices of Crack-smoking Sex Workers Recruited from the Streets of Three American Cities. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 25(4):187-193.
- McCoy HV, McCoy CB, Lai S. 1998. Effectiveness of HIV Interventions Among Women Drug Users. Journal of Women and Health, 27(1/2):49-66.
- Metsch LR, McCoy CB, McCoy HV, Pereyra M, Trapido E, and Miles C. 1998. The Role of the Physician as an Information Source on Mammography. Cancer Practice, July/Aug., 6(4):229-236.
- Metsch LR, McCoy CB, McCoy HV, Shultz J, Inciardi JA, Wolfe H, and Correa R. 1998. Social Influences: Living Arrangements of Drug Using Women at Risk for HIV Infection. Journal of Women and Health, 27(1/2):123 136.
- Stevens SJ, Kotranski L, Williams M, Bowen AE, and McCoy HV. 1998. Theoretical Models Used to Guide NIDA's Cooperative Agreement Research and Intervention Efforts. National Institute on Drug Abuse. Journal on Psychoactive Drugs, 30(3): 231 238.
- Tortu S, McCoy HV, Beardsley M, Deren S, and McCoy CB. 1998. Predictors of HIV Infection Among Women Drug Users in New York and Miami. Women and Health, 27():191-204.
- Deckard GJ, and McCoy HV. 1997. Physician Perceptions of Health Care Reform: National versus State Knowledge, Input and Support. Journal of Health and Social Policy, 8(4):1-12.
- Inciardi JA, Surratt HL, and McCoy HV. 1997. Establishing an HIV/AIDS Intervention Program for Street Drug Users in a Developing Nation. Journal of Drug Issues 27(1), 173-193.
- McCoy HV, Chitwood DD, Page JB, and McCoy CB. 1997. Skills for HIV Risk Reduction: Evaluation of Recall and Performance in Injecting Drug Users. Substance Use & Misuse, 32(3): 229-247.
- Weatherby NL, McCoy HV, Bletzer KV, McCoy CB, Inciardi JA, McBride DC, and Forney MA. 1997. Immigration and HIV among Migrant Workers in Rural Southern Florida. Journal of Drug Issues, 27(1): 155-172.
- Deren S, Goldstein M, Williams M, Stark M, Estrada A, Friedman SR, Young RM, Needle R, Tortu S, Saunders L, Beardsley M, Jose B, and McCoy HV. 1996. Sexual Orientation, HIV Risk Behavior, and Serostatus in a Multisite Sample of Drug-Injecting and Crack-Using Women. Women’s Health: Research on Gender, Behavior, and Policy. 2(1 & 2): 35-47.
- Irwin KL, Edlin BR, Faruque S, McCoy HV, Word C, Serrano Y, Inciardi J, Bowser B, Holmberg SD , and the Multicenter Crack Cocaine and HIV Infection Study Team. 1996. Crack Cocaine Smokers Who Turn to Drug Injection: Characteristics, Factors Associated with Injection, and Implications for HIV Transmission. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 42:85-92.
- McCoy CB, Weatherby NL, Metsch LR, McCoy HV, Rivers JE, and Correa R. 1996. Effectiveness of HIV Interventions Among Crack Users. Drugs and Society, 9(l/2): 137-154.
- McCoy HV, Correa R, and Fritz E. 1996. HIV Diffusion Patterns and Mobility: Gender Differences Among Drug Users. Population Research and Policy Review, 15:249-264.
- McCoy HV, Woolredge JD, Cullen FT, Dubeck PJ, and Browning SL. 1996. Lifestyles of the Old and Not-So-Fearful: Life Situation and Older Persons' Fear of Crime. Journal of Criminal Justice, 24(3): 191-205.
- Deckard GJ, and McCoy HV. 1995. Physician Issues and Florida Health Care Reform. Journal of the Florida Medical Association, 28(4):265-268.
- Irwin KL, Edlin BR, Wong L, Faruque S, McCoy HV, Word C, Schilling R, McCoy CB, Evans P, Holmberg SC, and the Multicenter Crack Cocaine and HIV Infection Study Team. 1995. Urban Rape Survivors: Characteristics and Prevalence of HIV and Other Sexually Transmitted infections. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 85(3):330-336.
- McCoy CB, Shapshak P, Metsch LR, Rivers JE, McCoy HV, Weatherby NL, Shah SM, and Chitwood DD. 1995. HIV-1 Prevention: Interdisciplinary Studies on the Efficacy of Bleach and Development of Prevention Protocols. Archivum Immunologiae Et Therapiae Experimentalis (Poland), 43:1-9.
- McCoy HV, Inciardi JA, Metsch LR, Pottieger AE, and Saum CA. 1995. Women, Crack and Crime: Gender Comparisons of Criminal Activity Among Crack Cocaine Users. Contemporary Drug Issues, 22(3):435-452.
- Metsch LR, McCoy CB, McCoy HV, Shultz J, Lai S, Weatherby NL, McAnany H, Correa R, and Anwyl R. 1995. HIV-Related Risk Behaviors and Seropositivity Among Homeless Drug-Abusing Women. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 27(4):435-446.
- Weatherby NL, McCoy HV, Bletzer KV, Forney MA, McCoy CB, Inciardi JA, and McBride DC. 1995. Sexual activity and HIV among drug users: migrant workers and their sexual partners in Southern Florida. Florida Journal of Public Health, 7(1): 22-26.
- McCoy CB, Rivers JE, McCoy HV, Shapshak P, Weatherby NL, Chitwood D, Page J, Inciardi J, and McBride D. 1994. Compliance to bleach disinfection protocols among injecting drug users in Miami. Journal of AIDS, 7(7):773-776.
- Ahern M, and McCoy HV. 1993. Effects of payment changes on urgent/emergent admissions in rural and urban communities, Journal of Rural Health, 9(2):120-128.
- Inciardi JA, McBride DC, McCoy HV, and Chitwood DD. 1993. Recent Research on the Crack/Cocaine/Crime Connection. Studies on Crime and Crime Prevention, 3:1-20.
- McCoy CB, Shapshak P, Shah SM, McCoy HV, Rivers JE, Page JB, Chitwood DD, Weatherby NL, Inciardi JA, McBride DC, Mash DC, and Watters JK. 1994. HIV-1 prevention: interdisciplinary studies and reviews on efficacy of bleach and compliance to bleach prevention protocols. in: national research council institute of medicine, Proceedings Workshop on Needle Exchange and Bleach Distribution Programs, Pp. 255-283. (S. McCutchen, ed.) Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- McCoy HV. 1993. Appalachian Women: Change in gender role expectations and ethnic identity. International Journal of Group Tensions, 23(2):101-113.
- McCoy HV, and Inciardi JA. 1993. Women and AIDS: social determinants of sex-related activities. Women and Health, 20(1):52-61.
- Ahern M, and McCoy HV. 1992. Emergency room admissions: changes during the financial tightening of the 1980's. Inquiry, 29(1):67-79.
- Edlin BR, Irwin KL, Ludwig DD, McCoy HV, Serrano Y, Word C, Bowser BP, Faruque S, McCoy CB, Schilling RF, and Holmberg SD., and The Multicenter Crack Cocaine and HIV Infection Study Team. 1992. High risk sex behavior among young street-recruited crack cocaine smokers in three American cities: an interim report. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 24(4):363-371.
- McCoy HV, Kipp AW, and Ahern M. 1992. Reducing Older Patients' Reliance on the Emergency Department. Social Work in Health Care, 17(1):23-37.
- McCoy HV, and Miles C. 1992. A Gender Comparison of the Health Status of Crack Cocaine Users. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 24(4):389-397.
- McCoy HV, Ritchey PN, and McCoy CB. 1992. Effects of Migration on Cancer Incidence and Resources for Prevention and Treatment in Florida. Public Health Reports, 107(4):389-396.
- McCoy HV, Trapido EJ, McCoy CB, Strickman-Stein N, Engel S, Brown I. 1992. Community Activism Relating to a Cluster of Breast Cancer. Journal of Community Health, 17(1):27-36.
- Weatherby NL, Shultz JM, Chitwood DD, McCoy HV, McCoy CB, Ludwig DD, and Edlin BR. 1992 Crack Cocaine Use and Sexual Activity in Miami, Florida. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 24(4):373-380.
- Chitwood DD, McCoy CB, Inciardi JA, McBride DC, Comerford M, Trapido E, McCoy HV, Page JB, Griffin J, Fletcher MA, and Ashman MA. 1990. HIV Seropositivity of Needles from Shooting Galleries in South Florida. American Journal of Public Health 80(2):150-152.
- McCoy HV, Dodds S, and Nolan C. 1990. AIDS Intervention Design for Program Evaluation: The Miami Community Outreach Program. Journal of Drug Issues 20(2):223-243.
- McCoy HV, McKay CY, Hermanns L, and Lai S. 1990. Sexual Behavior and the Risk of HIV Infection. American Behavioral Scientist, 33(4):432-450.
- Trapido EJ, McCoy CB, Strickman-Stein N, Engel S, McCoy HV, and Olejniczak S. 1990. The Epidemiology of Cancer Among Hispanic Women. Cancer 6(11):2435-2441.
- McCoy CB , and Watkins-McCoy HV. 1980. Drug Use Among Urban Ethnic Youth: Appalachian and other Comparisons. Youth and Society, 12(1).