Department of Health Management and Policy
Saint Louis University
- Ph.D. Economics, University of Southern California, December 2006
- M.A. Economics, University of Southern California, May 2003
- M.B.A. Finance (with Beta Gamma Sigma Honor), California State University, Los Angeles, June 2000
- M.A. Economics, National Taiwan University, June 1995
- B.A. Economics, National Taiwan University, June 1993
Echu Liu Ph.D. is currently an associate professor (with tenure) in the Department of Health Management and Policy at Saint Louis University. He has published in several peer-reviewed journals of economics or public health, including Applied Economics, Demography, International Journal of Applied Economics, International Journal of Economic Issues, Journal of Econometrics, Journal of Public Health, and Journal of Health Care Finance. At present, he serves as an associate editor of .
My research interests cover a broad range of topics in applied microeconomics, but specifically lie in applying state-of-the-art econometric methods to topical issues in health, such as overweight children and health illiteracy.
|Associate Professor (with tenure)||Department of Health Management and Policy Saint Louis University||August 2014–present|
|Associate Professor of Health Care Management (with tenure),||School of Allied Health, Southern Illinois University Carbondale||July2012–August 2014|
|Assistant Professor of Health Care Management||School of Allied Health, Southern Illinois University Carbondale||Aug 2006–June 2012|
|Visiting Assistant Professor||Department of Economics, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, TAIWAN||June 2010–July 2010|
|Full-time Teaching Assistant (responsible for teaching and assisting departmental administration)||Department of Economics, National Taiwan University||August 1997–July 1998|
- Liu, E., Balasubramaniam, D., & Hunt, A. F. (2015). Does access to water matter? A study on the nutritional status primary-aged children in India, Journal of Public Health, doi:10.1093/pubmed/fdv149.
- Hsieh, H., Chou, S., Liu, E., & Hsieh, H. (2015). Strengthening or weakening? The impact of universal health insurance on intergenerational co-residence in Taiwan. Demography, 52(3), 883-904.
- Chou, S., Liu, E., Lin, M., & Liu, J. (2015). Better peer, better scores? A study of twin junior high school graduates in Taiwan.AppliedEconomics, 47(32), 3462-3481.
- Liu, E., Lo, T., & Hsieh, H. (2013). Health illiteracy and disparity in health status: An analysis of the national assessment of adult literacy. International Journal of Economic Issues, 6(1), 31-45.
- Liu, E., Lo, T., & Hsieh, H. (2011). Literacy and health: Evidence from the national assessment of adult literacy. International Journal of Applied Economics, 8(1), 17-35.
- Liu, E., Yu, W., & Hsieh, H. (2011). Cigarette taxes and respiratory cancers: New evidence from panel co-integration analysis. Journal of Health Care Finance, 37(3), 62-71. (Results cited inthe September 15, 2011 issue of the Harvard Business Review: http://web.hbr.org/email/archive/dailystat.php?date=091511)
- Liu, E., Hsiao, C., Matsumoto, T., & Chou, S. (2009). Maternal full-time employment and overweight children: Parametric, semi-parametric, and non-parametric assessment. Journal of Econometrics, 152(1), 61-69.
- Liu, E., Rivers, P. A., &Sarevla, P. D. (2008). Does increasing cigarette excise tax improve people’s health? The cases of heart attacks and stroke. Journal of Health Care Finance, 34(3), 91-109.