Professor and Chair
Department of Behavioral and Community Health
School of Public Health, University of Maryland
- 2013 - Postgraduate courses in literacy, University of Florida
- 1984-1986, NIMH Postdoctoral Fellow, Program in Social Ecology, University of California, Irvine
- 1984 - Ph.D., University of California, Santa Cruz. Social/Personality Psychology
- 1977 - M.A., University of California, Santa Barbara. Educational Psychology
- 1973 B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara. Major: Political Science
Barbara Curbow, is a social/health psychologist who received her Ph.D. from the University of California, Santa Cruz. From 1987-2005 she was on the faculty at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health where she held appointments in the Departments of Health Policy and Management, Environmental Health Sciences, and Health, Behavior and Society. From 2006-2014 she was professor and chair of the Department of Behavioral Science and Community Health at the University of Florida College of Public Health and Health Professions. Currently, Dr. Curbow is professor and chair of the Department of Behavioral and Community Health in the School of Public Health at the University of Maryland. Dr. Curbow’s research interests fall within these general areas: cancer prevention and control, medical treatment decision making, health disparities, and health communication. Over the course of her career she has trained over 30 doctoral advisees.
Barbara Curbow, research interests fall within three general areas: psychosocial oncology, health psychology, and occupational health psychology.
|2014 -||Professor and Chair||Department of Behavioral and Community Health||School of Public Health, University of Maryland|
|2008 -||Adjunct Professor||Department of Health, Behavior and Society||Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health|
|2014-||Courtesy Professor||Department of Behavioral Science and Community Health,||College of Public Health and Health Professions, University of Florida|
|2006-2014||Professor and Chair||Department of Behavioral Science and Community Health,||College of Public Health and Health Professions, University of Florida|
|2012-2014||Team Leader||Population Sciences Section,||University of Florida Cancer Center|
|2006-2007||Adjunct Associate Professor||Department of Health, Behavior and Society||Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health|
|2005-2006||Associate Professor||Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health|
|1994-2006||Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences||Department of Health Policy and Management||Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health|
|1994-2005||Faculty||Department of Health, Behavior and Society||Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health|
|2005||Adjunct Associate Professor||George Washington University, School of Public Health and Health Services|
|1987-1994||Assistant Professor||School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University|
|1993-1994||Assistant Professor||Department of Health Policy and Management, Division of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education||School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University|
|1987-1993||Assistant Professor||Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Health Psychology Program||School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University|
|1993-1995||Joint Appointments||Department of Psychology||Johns Hopkins University|
|1993-2006||Department of Environmental Health Sciences|
|1987-1993||Department of Health Policy and Management|
|1982-1992||Research Associate||Elizabeth Owen and Associates (Health Care Consultants), Livermore, California|
|Summer 1985 and 1986||Visiting Lecturer||Introduction to Health Psychology||University of California, Irvine|
| Summer 1982 and 1983
Winter 1983 and 1984
|Teaching Fellow||Introductory Statistics|
|1981-1984||Teaching Assistant||social psychology, introductory statistics, research methods, educational psychology, nonverbal communication, history and systems of psychology||University of California, Santa Cruz|
|1981-1984||Research Member||Energy Conservation Research Group||Energy Conservation Research Group|
|1978-1981||Survey Specialist||Prepaid Health Research, Evaluation, and Demonstration (PHRED) Project||California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California|
|1975||Research Assistant||Department of Instructional Development||University of California, Santa Barbara|
|1974-1975||Research Assistant||Santa Barbara County Mental Health|
- King-Marshall, EC *; Mueller, N, Dailey, AB, Barnett, TE, George, TD, Jr, Sultan, S &Curbow, B (in press). “It’s just another test they want to do”: Patient and Caregiver Understanding of the Colonoscopy Procedure. Patient Education & Counseling (2015).
- Soule, EK**, Barnett, TE, Curbow, BA, Moorhouse, MD, & Weiler, RM (2015). Hookah and alcohol use among young adult hookah smokers: a mixed methods study. American Journal of Health Behavior, 39, 665-673.
- Curbow, BA, Dailey, A, King-Marshall, EC, Barnett, TE, Schumacher, J, Sultan, S, & George, TJ, Jr. (2015). Pathways to colonoscopy in the South: Seeds of health disparities. American Journal of Public Health.Published online March 2015.
- King, J. L., Pomeranz, J. L., Barnett, T. E., King-Marshall, E., Nguyen, J., & Curbow, B. (2015). Poor health among smokers obtaining colonoscopy screening: Making the case for cessation intervention. Public Health.Published online March 11, 2015.
- Barnett, TE, Forrest, J, Porter, L, & Curbow, BA (2014). A multi-year assessment ofhookah use prevalence among Florida high school students.Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 16, 373-377.
- Nightingale, CL**, Pomeranz, J, Carnaby, G, & Curbow, B (in press). Quality of life considerations for life care planning. The Rehabilitation Professional.
- Polanco, Y, Salazar, JC, & Curbow, B (2014). A quantitative analysis of Columbian campesinos’ use of pesticides: perceived control and confidence in this use. Rev. Fac. Nac. SaludPùblica, 32, 373-382.
- Xu X; Ha S; Kan H; Hu H; Curbow BA; Lissaker CTK (2013). Health Effects of Air Pollution on Length of Respiratory Cancer Survival.BMC Public Health, 13, 800.
- Barnett, TE, Smith, T, He, Y, Soule, EK, Curbow, BA, Tomar, SL, MCCarty, C (2013). Evidence of an emerging hookah use trend among university students: A cross-sectional comparison between hookah use and cigarette use. BMC Public Health, 13, 302
- Soule, ES**, Barnett, TE, Curbow, BA. (2012). Keeping the night going: The role of hookah bars in evening drinking behaviors. Public Health, 126, 1078-1081.
- Barnett TE, Curbow BA, Soule EK, Tomar SL, Thombs DL (2011). Carbon Monoxide levels among patrons of hookah cafes. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 40, 324-328.
- Dailey, ABK, Brumback, BA, Livingston, MD, Jones, BA, Curbow, BA, & Xu, X (2011). Area-level socioeconomic position and repeat mammography screening use: results from the 2005 National Health Interview Survey. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 20, 2331-2334.
- Moorhouse, MD, Pomeranz, JL, Barnett, TE, Yu, NS, & Curbow, BA (2011). Tobacco cessation intervention for people with disabilities: Survey of Center of Independent Living directors. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 54, 118-121.
- Nightingale, CL**, Quinn, GP, Shenkman, EA, Curbow, BA, Zebrack, BJ & Huang, I-C (2011). Health-related quality of life of young adult survivors of childhood cancer: a review of qualitative studies. Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology, 1, 124-132.
- Bishop, MM, Curbow, B, Springer, S, Lee, J, &Wingard, JR (2011). Comparison of lasting life changes after cancer and BMT: Perspectives of long-term survivors and spouses. Psycho-oncology, 20, 926-34.
- Owens, SG**, Agnew, J, Curbow, B, Selnes, O & Fitzgerald, S (2010). The association of neurocognitive decline and other variables with return to work, hobbies, and activities of daily living after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 28, 348-359.
- Bowie, JV, Juon, HS, Dubay, LC, Lebrun, LA, Curbow, BA, Thorpe, RJ, &LaVeist, TA. (2009). Cancer Prevention Behaviors in Low-Income Urban Whites: An Understudied Problem.Journal of Urban Health, 86, 861-871.
- Barnett TE,Curbow BA, Weitz J, Johnson T, Smith-Simmone S (2009). Watterpipe tobacco smoking among middle and high school students. American Journal of Public Health, 99, 2014-2019.
- Lillie, TL* & Curbow, B (2009). Kenyan In-School Youths' Level of Understanding of Abstinence, Being Faithful, and Consistent Condom Use Terms: Implications for HIV- Prevention Programs.Journal of Health Communication, 14, 276-92.
- Xu, X, Dailey, AB, Freeman, NC, Curbow, BA, Talbott, EO (2009). The Effects of Birth Weight and Breastfeeding on Asthma among Children aged 1-5 Years. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 45, 646-651.
- Smith-Simone, SY*, Curbow, B, &Stillman, FA (2008). Differing Psychosocial Risk Profiles of College Freshmen Waterpipe, Cigar, and Cigarette Smokers.Addictive Behaviors; 33, 1619-1624.
- Morrato, EH,** Curbow, B, Crum, RM, Nowels, C &Feinleib, M (2008).. International Journal of Risk & Safety in Medicine,20, 143-154.
- Geer, LA**, Anna, D, Curbow, B, Mitchell, C, van-Wendel-de-Joode, B, Diener-West, M, & Buckley, T (2007). Survey Assessment of Worker Dermal Exposure and Underlying Behavioral Determinants.Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene,4, 809–820.
- Irving, SA, Salmon, DA, & Curbow, BA (2007). Vaccine Risk Communication Interventions in the United States, 1996-2006: A Review. Current Pediatric Reviews, 3, 238-247.
- Curbow, B, Bowie, J, Binko, J, Smith, S, Dreyling, E, & McDonnell, K (2007). Adolescent Girls’ Perceptions of Smoking Risk and Protective Factors: Implications for Message Design. Journal of Child & Adolescent Substance Abuse, 17, 1-28.
- Smith, S.Y.,* Curbow, B., &Stillman, F.A. (2007). Harm Perception of Nicotine Products in College Freshmen. Nicotine & Tobacco Research.
- Curbow, B., Fogarty,L.A., McDonnell, K.A., Chill, J. & Scott, L.B. (2006). The Role of Physician Characteristics in Clinical Trial Acceptance: Testing Pathways of Influence. Journal of Health Communication, 11, 199-218.
- de Castro, A.B.,** Curbow, B., Agnew, J., Haythornewaite, J., & Fitzgerald, S.T. (2006). Measuring Emotional Labor Among Young Workers: Refinement of the Emotions at Work Scale. American Association for Occupational Health Nursing Journal (AAOHNJ), 54, 210-218.
- Geer, L.A.,** Curbow, B., Anna, D., & Buckley, T.J. (2006). Development of a Questionnaire Instrument to Assess Worker Knowledge, Attitudes, and Perceptions of Dermal Hazards.Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health32, 209-218.
- Nicholls, JJ, Mitchell, GL, & Curbow, BA (2006). Relation between mood and self-reported dry eye in contact lens wearers.Cornea, 25, 937-42.
- Scott,LB* & Curbow, B (2006). The Effect of Message Frames and CHD Risk Factors on Behavioral Outcomes.American Journal of Health Behavior, 30, 582-597.
- Bowie, J,* Curbow, B, Garza, M, Dreyling, E, Scott, LB, & McDonnell, K (2005). A Review of Breast, Cervical, and Colorectal Cancer Screening Interventions in Older Women.Cancer Control: Journal of the Moffitt Cancer Center, 12 (November Supplement), 58-69.
- Curbow,B, McDonnell, KA, Dreyling, E, Hall, AF, Fitzgerald, S, &Ewart, CK (2005). Assessing Cardiovascular Reactivity in Working Women With the Social Competence Interview. Women & Health, 41, 51-68.
- Gee, GC, Curbow, B, Ensminger, ME, Griffin, J, Laflamme, DJ, McDonnell, KA, LeGrande, D & Agnew, J (2005). Are You Positive? The Relationship of Minority Composition to Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing.Journal of Drug Issues, 35, 755-778..
- Bowie, J,* Curbow, B, LaVeist, TA, Fitzgerald, S, & Zabora, J (2004). The Theory of Planned Behavior and repeat mammography. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 21 (4), 23-42.
- Curbow, B, Bowie, J, Garza, M, McDonnell, KA, Scott, LA, Coyne,CA, &Chiappelli, T. (2004) Community-Based Cancer Screening Programs in Older Populations: Making Progress But Can We Do Better? Preventive Medicine, 38, 676-693.
- Curbow, B, Fogarty, L, McDonnell, KA, Chill, J & Scott L (2004). Can a Brief Video Intervention Improve Breast Cancer Clinical Trial Knowledge and Beliefs?Social Science and Medicine,58, 1, 193-205.
- Schneiderman AI, Lincoln, AE, Curbow B, Kang, HK (2004). Variations in health risk communication needs of combat veterans. American Journal of Public Health, 94, 2074-6.
- Curbow, B, McDonnell, KA, Spratt, K, Griffin, J, & Agnew, J (2003). Development of the Work-Family Interface Scale.Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 18, 310-330.
- 51. Laube, BL, Curbow, B, Fitzgerald, ST, & Spratt, K (2003). The Acute Pulmonary Response to Allergen Exposure During Emotional Stress in Women with Asthma. European Respiratory Journal, 22, 613-618.
- 50. Thorne, C, Curbow, B, Oliver, M, Al-Ibrahim, M, McDiarmid, M (2003). Terrorism Preparedness Training for Non-Clinical Hospital Workers: Empowering Them to Take Action. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 45, 333-337.
- 49. Tsai, G*, Curbow, B, Heinberg, L (2003). Sociocultural and Developmental Influences on Body Dissatisfaction and Disordered Eating Attitudes and Behaviors in Asian Women.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 191, 309-318.
- Breysse, PN, Weaver, V, Cadorette, M, Wiggs, L, Curbow, B, Stefaniak, A, Melius, J., Newman, L., Smith, H., Schwartz, B. (2002). Development of a medical examination program for former workers at a Department of Energy national laboratory. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 42, 443-454
- Byrns, GE,** Agnew, J, & Curbow, B (2002). Attributions, Stress, and Work-Related Low Back Pain.Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 17, 752-764.
- Byrns, GE,** Agnew, J, & Curbow, B (2002). A New Direction in Low Back Pain Research.American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 63, 55-61.
- Klassen, A, Hall, AG, Saksvig, B, Curbow, B, & Klassen, DK (2002). The Relationship Between Patients' Perspectives on Disadvantage and Discrimination and Listing for Kidney Transplant. American Journal of Public Health, 92, 811-817.
- Klassen, A, Smith, ALM, Meissner, HI, Zabora, J, Curbow, B, &Mandelblatt, J (2002). If We Gave Away Mammograms, Who Would Get Them?A Neighborhood Evaluation of a No Cost Breast Cancer Screening Program.Preventive Medicine, 34, 13-21.
- Laube, B, Curbow, B, Costello, R & Fitzgerald, S (2002). A Pilot Study Examining the Relationship Between Stress and Morning Cortisol Levels in Asthmatic Women. Respiratory Medicine, 96, 823-828.
- Bowie, J,* Curbow, B, LaVeist, T, Fitzgerald, S, &Pargament, K (2001). The Relationship Between Religious Coping Style and Anxiety over Breast Cancer in African American Women.Journal of Religion and Health, 40, 411-422.
- Tsai, G* & Curbow, B (2001). The Development of the Taiwanese Ethnic Identity Scale: A Derived Etic Approach.Journal of Immigrant Health, 3, 199-212.
- Zabora, J,* BrintzenhofeSzoc, K, Curbow, B, Hooker, C, Piantadosi, S (2001). The Prevalence of Psychological Distress by Cancer Site.Journal of Psycho-Oncology, 10, 19-28.
- Zabora, J,* BrintzenhofeSzoc, K, Jacobsen, P, Curbow, B, Piantadosi, S, Hooker, C, Owens, A, &Derogatis, L (2001). First Application of a New Psychosocial Screening Instrument for Use with Cancer Patients.Psychosomatics, 42, 241-246.
- Curbow, B, Spratt, K, Ungaretti, T, McDonnell, KA, &Breckler, S (2000). Development of the Child Care Worker Job Stress Inventory. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 15, 515-536.
- Fogarty, LA,* Curbow, B, Wingard, JR, McDonnell, K, & Somerfield, MR. (1999). Can 40 seconds of compassion reduce patient anxiety? Journal of Clinical Oncology, 17, 371-379.
- McCree, DH,* Ewart, CK, Curbow, B & Nickerson, KJ (1999). The association between psychosocial factors and condom use self-efficacy in a college population of African American Women.Cancer Research Therapy and Control, 8, 245-260.
- Curbow B, Khoury A & Weisman CS (1998). Provision of mental health services in women’s health centers. Women’s Health: Research on Gender, Behavior, and Policy, 4, 71-91.
- Somerfield MR,* Curbow B, Wingard JR, Baker F & Fogarty LA (1996). Coping with the physical and psychosocial sequelae of bone marrow transplantation among long-term survivors. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 19, 163-184.
- Weisman, CS, Curbow, B, Khoury, AJ (1996). Women’s health centers and managed care. Women’s Health Issues,6, 255-63.
- Weisman CS, Curbow B &Khoury AJ (1995). The national survey of women’s health centers: Current models of women-centered care. Women’s Health Issues, 5, 103-117.
- Brenner MH, Curbow B, Legro MW (1995). The proximal-distal continuum of multiple health outcome measures: The case of cataract surgery. Medical Care33, (AS236-AS244; Suppl).
- Baker F, Wingard J, Curbow B, Zabora L, Jodrey D, Fogarty L &Legro M (1994). Quality-of-life of bone marrow transplant long-term survivors. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 13, 589-596.
- Breysse P, Lees PSJ, McDiarmid MA & Curbow B (1994). ELF magnetic field exposures in an office environment.American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 25, 177-185.
- Curbow B, McDiarmid MA, Breysse P, & Lees PSJ (1994). Investigation of a spontaneous abortion cluster: Development of a risk communication program. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 26, 265-275.
- Gershon RRM,* Curbow B, Kelen G, Celantano D, Lears K &Vlahov D (1994). Correlates of attitudes concerning human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome among hospital workers. American Journal of Infection Control, 22, 293-299.
- McDiarmid MA, Breysse P, Lees PSJ, Curbow B, &Kolodner K (1994). Investigation of a spontaneous abortion cluster: Lessons learned. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 25, 463-475.
- Swanson NG, Piotrkowski CS, Curbow B, Graville S, Kushnir T, Owen BD (1994). Occupational health and safety issues in child-care work.Pediatrics, 94 (Supplement), 1079-1080.
- Brenner MH, Curbow B, Javitt JC, Legro MW &Somer A (1993). Vision change and quality-of-life in the elderly: Response to cataract surgery and treatment of other chronic ocular conditions. Archives of Ophthalmology, 111, 680-685.
- Curbow B, Baker F, Wingard J, Legro M & Somerfield M (1993). Loss and recovery themes in survivors of bone marrow transplantation.Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 10, 1-20.
- Curbow B, Legro M & Brenner MH (1993). The influence of patient-related variables in the timing of cataract extraction.American Journal of Ophthalmology, 115, 614-622.
- Curbow B, Somerfield M, Baker F, Wingard J &Legro M (1993). Personal changes, dispositional optimism and psychological adjustment to bone marrow transplantation. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 16, 423-443.
- Davidoff LL, Curbow B, Nethercott JR & Abbey H (1993). Opinions about the etiology of multiple chemical sensitivities.Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology, 2, 217-226.
- Javitt JC, Brenner MH, Curbow B, Legro MW & Street DA (1993). Outcomes of cataract surgery: Improvement in visual acuity and subjective visual function following surgery in the first, second and both eyes. Archives of Ophthalmology, 111, 686-691.
- Nethercott JR, Davidoff L, Curbow B & Abbey H (1993). Multiple chemical sensitivities syndrome: Toward a working case definition. Archives of Environmental Research, 48, 19-26.
- Baker F, Curbow B &Wingard J (1992). Development of the Satisfaction with Life Domains Scale for Cancer.Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 10, 75-90.
- McDiarmid M & Curbow B (1992). Risk communication and surveillance approaches for workplace reproductive hazards. Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology, 1, 63-74.
- Somerfield M*& Curbow B (1992). Methodological issues and research strategies in the study of coping with cancer.Social Science and Medicine, 34, 1203-1216.
- Wingard JR, Curbow B, Baker F, Zabora J &Piantadosi S (1992). Sexualsatisfaction in survivors of bone marrow transplantation.Bone Marrow Transplantation, 9, 185-190.
- Zabora J,* Smith ED, Baker F, Wingard JR & Curbow B (1992). The family: The other side of bone marrow transplantation. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 10, 34-46.
- Baker F & Curbow B (1991). The case-control study in health program evaluation. Evaluation and Program Planning, 14, 263-272.
- Baker F, Curbow B &Wingard JR (1991). Role retention and quality-of-life of bone marrow transplant survivors. Social Science and Medicine, 32, 697-704.
- Curbow B & Somerfield M (1991). Use of the Rosenberg Self-esteem Scale with adult cancer patients.Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 9, 113-131.
- Wingard J, Curbow B, Baker F &Piantadosi S (1991). Health, functional status, and employment of adult survivors after bone marrow transplantation. Annals of Internal Medicine, 114, 113-118.
- Curbow B (1990). Job stress in child care workers: A framework for research. Child and Youth Care Quarterly, 19, 215-231.
- Curbow B, Somerfield M, Legro M &Sonnega J (1990). Self-concept and cancer in adults: Theoretical and methodological issues. Social Science and Medicine, 31, 115-128.
- Andrews R, Curbow B, Owens E & Burke A (1989). The effects of method of presenting health plan information on HMO enrollment by Medicaid beneficiaries. Health Services Research, 24, 311-327.
- Curbow B (1986). Health care and the poor: Psychological implications of restrictive policies. Health Psychology, 5, 375-391.
- Curbow B, Andrews R & Burke A (1986). Perceptions of the cancer patient: Causal explanations and personal attributions. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 4, 115-134.
- Condelli L, Archer D, Aronson E, Curbow B, McLeod B, Pettigrew T, White L & Yates S (1984). Improving utility conservation programs: Outcomes, interventions, and evaluations. Energy, 9, 485-494.
- White L, Archer D, Aronson E, Condelli L, Curbow B, McLeod B, Pettigrew T & Yates S (1984). A meta-evaluation of energy conservation research of California utilities.Evaluation Review, 8, 167-186.
- White L, Curbow B, Costanzo M & Pettigrew T (1983). Social psychological approaches to promoting lifestyle and device-oriented conservation behaviors.Advances in consumer Research, 10, 636-664.