Associate Professor of Microbiology & Immunology
Saint James School of Medicine
Park Ridge, Illinois, Anguilla
Phone: (403) 285-7540
|PhD||Medical Microbiology||University of Lagos||2000|
Dr Sanyaolu is a Medical Microbiologist with over 20 years of work experience in the area of public health, clinical and teaching duties. His expertise and research interest lies in the area of clinical and public health microbiology with specialized focus on communicable diseases (infectious / tropical diseases). Dr. Sanyaolu completed his Bachelor’s (B.Sc Hons, 1989) degree, Master’s (M.Sc., 1992) degree and Doctoral (PhD, 2000) from the University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria; Between the year 2005 and 2006, Dr. Sanyaolu worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the area of Global Health Communicable Diseases at the College of Public Health, Department of Global Health, University of South Florida, Tampa Florida; also during this period, he worked as a Healthcare Specialist with the Veterans’ Administration (VA) healthcare centre in Tampa Florida. His career experience includes laboratory diagnosis for communicable diseases, teaching / training and research. His public health work experience includes epidemiological surveillance, intervention, outbreak investigation, infectious diseases prevention and control, as well as project coordination and management. He is a member of many professional associations in the UK, Canada and the US.
- Study of epidemiology, diagnosis, immunology and control of communicable diseases of clinical and public health significance as well as antimicrobial drugs.
|2006- Present||Healthcare Consultant (Global Communicable Diseases) AMOOF consulting enterprise, Calgary, AB, Canada.|
|2012-2015||Associate Professor of Microbiology & Immunology
Saint James School of Medicine, Anguilla
|2005-2006||Post-Doctoral Fellow (Global Communicable Diseases)
Department of Global Health, College of Public Health
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA.
Calgary Laboratory Services, Calgary, AB, Canada
|1993-2002||Senior Scientific Officer (Microbiology)
Central Public Health Laboratory, Ministry of Health, Lagos, Nigeria.
|1998-1999||Senior Lab Scientist (Microbiology)
Hera General Hospital, Laboratory Department, Makkah, KSA.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Nominated for the commonwealth awards for action on HIV/AIDS (UNILAG) (2000)
- ASCP International Award 2016. Best International Poster Winner and Finalists
- Sanyaolu AO, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF. Oyibo WA. Induced immunity to Plasmodium yoelli nigeriensis in albino mice by antigenic mice organs. East Afr. Med. J. (1997); 74(9):566-569.
- Oyewole F, Ariyo F, Sanyaolu AO, Oyibo WA, Faweya T, Monye P, Ukpong M and Okoro C. Intestinal helminthiasis and control with albendazole among primary school children in riverine communities of Ondo State, Nigeria. Southeast Asian J. Trop. Med Pub. Health. (2002); 33 (2): 214-217.
- Oyewole F, Ariyo F, Oyibo WA, Sanyaolu AO, Faweya T, Monye P, Ukpong M, Soremekun B, Okoro C, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF, Olufunlayo TF. Helminthic reduction with albendazole among school children in riverine communities of Nigeria. J. of Rural and Trop. Pub. Health. (2007); 6: 6-10.
- Oyibo WA, Agomo C, Oladosu O, Teslim OO, Sanyaolu AO, Ajuluchukw J, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF, Otgbuo I.. Human African Trypanosomes: challenges posed to the human immune system. Int.J. Biol. Chem. Sci. (2009); 3(1): 156-167.
- Sanyaolu AO, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF Oyibo WA, Badaru SOS, Malaria Infection among HIV infected patients in Lagos, Nigeria: a possible interaction. . (Abstract accepted for the ASCP meeting Oct. 2009).
- Sanyaolu AO, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF Oyibo WA, Badaru SOS, Gbadegeshin Y. Comparative study of entero-parasitic infections among HIV sero-positive and seronegative patients in Lagos, Nigeria. (Abstract accepted for the fifth international congress of infectious and parasitic diseases CIPIP, Nov 2009).
- Iriemenam NC, Sanyaolu AO, Oyibo WA, Fagbenro-Beyioku, AF. Strongyloides stercoralis and the Immune response. Parasitology International. (2010). 59(1)9-14.
- Sanyaolu AO, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF and Oyibo WA. Serodiagnosis of Some Parasitic Infections in HIV-Positive and HIV-Negative Patients in Lagos, Nigeria. Am J Clin Pathol 2010;134(suppl):1-58. (ASCP Abstract).
- Sanyaolu AO, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF, Oyibo WA, Gbadegeshin AH, Iriemenam NC. Comparative study of entero-parasitic infection among HIV sero-positive and seronegativepatient in Lagos, Nigeria. (2011) Acta Tropica. (2011)120:268-272.
- Oyibo WA, Nwamba AA, Sanyaolu AO, Teslim OO, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF. Prevalence of E. histolytica /E. dispar amongst patients with gastrointestinal presentation in Lagos,Nigeria. (Abstract accepted for 2011 ASCP Annual meeting / WASPaLM XXVI world congress, Venetian, Las Vegas, Oct 19-22, 2011). Am J Clin Pathol 2011; 136:A182.
- Sanyaolu AO, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF, Oyibo WA, Badaru OS, Onyeabor OS, Iriemenam NC. Malaria and HIV co-infection and their effect on hemoglobin levels from three health-care institutions in Lagos, Nigeria. (2013) African Health Sciences. 13 (2): 295-300.
- Orish VN, Onyeabor OS, Boampong JN, Acquah S, Sanyaolu AO, Iriemenam NC. The effect of Malaria and HIV co-infection on hemoglobin levels in pregnant women in Sekondi-Takoradi metropolis, Ghana. (2013). International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics 120(3) 236-239.
- Oyibo WA, Ike AA, Oladosu OO, Ojuromi OT, Sanyaolu AO, Olusanya O, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF. Prevalence of Entamoeba histolytica / Entamoeba dispar among patients with Gastro-intestinal complaints in Lagos, Nigeria. (2013). Archives of Biomedical Sciences and Health 1(1) 10-19.
- Babokhov P, Sanyaolu AO, Oyibo WA, Fagbenro-Beyioku AF, Iriemenam NC. A current analysis of chemotherapy strategies for the treatment of Human African Trypanosomiasis (2013). Pathogen & Global Health 107(5): 242-252.
- Orish VN, Onyeabor OS, Boampong JN, Afoakwah R, Nwaefuna E, Acquah S, Sanyaolu AO, Iriemenam NC. Influence of education on HIV infection among pregnant women attending their antenatal care in Sekondi-Takoradi metropolis. (2014). Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Undeserved 25(3); 982-990.
- Orish VN, Onyeabor OS, Sanyaolu AO, Iriemenam NC. Evaluating the knowledge of sickle cell disease and haemoglobin electrophoretic pattern among people living in Sekondi Takoradi metropolis western region Ghana. (2014). Journal of Medicine in the Tropics 16(2); 56-60.
- Onyeabor OS, Martin N, Orish VN, Sanyaolu AO, Iriemenam NC. Awareness of human papillomavirus vaccine among adolescent Africa-American males who have sex withmales: a pilot study. (2014). Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 1-5.
- Orish, V.N., Ansong, J.Y., Anagi, I.B., Onyeabor, O.S., Okorie, C., Sanyaolu, A.O. and Iriemenam, N.C. Cases of Brought in Dead Patients in the Accident and Emergency Unit of a Referral Hospital in the Western Region of Ghana. (2014). Open Access Library Journal, 1: e1179.
- Orish, V.N., Fenyi, S., Onyeabor, O.S., Sanyaolu, A.O. and Iriemenam, N.C. Suspected case of Typhoid Fever in a 9 months old boy with negative Widal test. (2014). The Internet Journal of Infectious Diseases, 14:1.
- Hammoudi D, Sanyaolu AO, Nagarsheth NK, Kimbel JW, Abioye AO. TNF-α inhibitor treatment for Crohn’s Disease: comparative review of post-therapy malignancy between Infliximab and Adalimumab. (2015). British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 5(4):217-227.
- Sanyaolu, AO, Okorie, C, Dixon, Y., Kemajou, M., Ly, K., Mathew, E., Nchamukong, J., Nikookar, P., Ogunjimi, R., Patidar, R., Sharma, S. and Woei, J. (2015) Progress towards the Global Eradication of Dracunculiasis. Open Access Library Journal, 2: e1696.
- Sanyaolu AO, Oyibo WA, Iriemenam NC, Badaru OS. Sero-prevalence study of parasitic infections among HIV positive and Negative patients in Lagos, Nigeria. African Journal of Clinical and Experimental Microbiology; 17(2):88-96.
- Sanyaolu, AO. Okorie, C., Badaru, OS et al. Global Epidemiology of EBOLA Disease: A Review (2016). Int. J. Trop. Dis. & Hlth. 12(3). 1-15.
- Orish, V.N., Ansong, J.Y., Anagi, I.B., Onyeabor, O.S., Sanyaolu, A.O. and Iriemenam, N.C. Malaria and associated co-morbidity in children admitted with fever manifestation in western Ghana. retrospective study". J Infect Dev Ctries 2015; 9(11):1257-1263. doi:10.3855/jidc.6316.
- Orish VN, Onyeabor OS, Boampong JN, Afoakwah R, Nwaefuna E, Acquah S, Sanyaolu AO, Iriemenam NC. Intermittent preventive treatment of Malaria in pregnancy (IPTp): emphasis on adequate dosage and coverage. Afr. Hlth Sci. 2015; 15(4):1087-96.
- Hammoudi D, Sanyaolu AO, Adofo D, Antoine I. The effect of cigarette smoking on lung capacity in active, previous, and passive student smokers. American Advances Journal of Medical Sciences (2015) 1(1) 13-20.
- Orish, V.N., Ansong, J.Y., Anagi, I.B., Onyeabor, O.S., Sanyaolu, A.O. Oyibo W.A. and Iriemenam, N.C. Overdiagnosis and overtreatment of malaria in children in a secondary health care centre in Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana. Tropical Doctor. January 5, 2016 0(0)1-7.
- Hammoudi D, Sanyaolu AO, Orish VN, Onyeabor OS, Benayache I, Hammoudi DA-S et al., Induction of Autoimmune Diseases Following Vaccinations: A Review. SM Vaccine Vaccin. 2015; 1(3):1011.
- Verner Orish, Alex Ilechie, Theophilus Combey, Onyekachi Onyeabor, Chuku Okorie, Adekunle Sanyaolu. Evaluation of Blood Transfusion in Anemic Children in Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital, Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana. Am J Clin Pathol 2015; 144. (ASCP Abstract).
- Verner Orish, Alex Ilechie, Theophilus Combey, Onyekachi Onyeabor, Chuku Okorie,and Adekunle Sanyaolu. Evaluation of Blood Transfusions in Anemic Children in Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital, Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 94(3), 2016, pp. 691–694.
- Verner Orish, Alex Ilechie, Theophilus Combey, Onyekachi Onyeabor, Chuku Okorie, and Adekunle Sanyaolu. Blood transfusions in anaemic children: an evaluation from Ghana. The Biomedical Scientist (Transfusion science) February 2016.
- Sanyaolu A, Okorie C, Badaru O, Wynveen E, White S, Wallace W, et al. Chikungunya Epidemiology: A Global Perspective. SM J Public Health Epidemiol. 2016; 2(2): 1028.
- Sanyaolu A, Okorie C, Mehraban N, Ayodele O, Tshitenge SK. Epidemiology of Zoonotic Diseases in the United States: A Comprehensive Review. J Infect Dis Epidemiol. 2016; 2:021.
- Bennardo M, Sanyaolu A, Dasgupta S. Testing of Fungal Species Isolated in Anguilla for Antimicrobial Effect of Their Secondary Metabolites. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2016 Sep 1; 146(suppl_1):208.
- Bennardo M, Sanyaolu A, Dasgupta S. Testing of Fungal Species Isolated in Anguilla for Antimicrobial Effect of Their Secondary Metabolites. Journal of Advances in Microbiology. 2017 3(4):1-10.
- Sanyaolu A, Groetz R, Gillam J, Patel P, Oyeleke O, Oseni A, Nguyen Q, Fragale R, Gussen E, Forbes J, O’Leary C. Global Trends of Diarrhea Diseases in Children. Annals of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2018. 1(1):24-38.
- Sanyaolu A, Okorie C, Annan R, Turkey H, Akhtar N, et al. Epidemiology and management of chronic renal failure: a global public health problem. Biostatistics Epidemiol Int J. (2018) 1(1): 00005.
- Sanyaolu A, Marinkovic A, Likaj L, Gosse J, Ayodele O, Badaru O. Evaluation of Current Methods Used for the Laboratory Diagnosis of HIV Infection. ContROL 2018; 1:33.
- OrishVN, Sanyaolu AO, Francois M, Silverius BK, Onyeabor OS, Okorie C, Iriemenam NC. Malaria-Related Deaths among Children with Manifestations of Fever Symptoms on Admission in a Secondary Health Care Institution in Western Region of Ghana - aRetrospective Study. International Journal of TROPICAL DISEASE & Health 2018; 31(3): 1-15.
- Sanyaolu A, Oppong E, Savchuk K, Olabode T, Nkachukwu C. The Need for a Malaria Vaccine. Central European Journal of Experimental Biology. 2018; 6(1):1-3.
- Adekunle Sanyaolu, Aleksandra Marinkovic, Jessica Gosse, Lorena Likaj, Oladapo Ayodele, Chuku Okorie, Orish Verner. Artificial sweeteners and their association with Diabetes: A Review. J Pub Health Catalog 2019; 1(4):1-3.
- Adekunle Sanyaolu, Chuku Okorie, Anjali Kumar, Deja LaMoure, Mourad Rabadi, Jennings Hernandez, George Omiloli. Current trends of HIV/AIDS in Asia.South East Asia Journal of Public Health 2017; 7(2):3-11.
- Verner N. Orish, Virtue F. De-Gaulle and Adekunle O. Sanyaolu. Interpreting rapid diagnostic test (RDT) for Plasmodium falciparum. BMC Research Notes 2018 11:850.
- Sanyaolu A, Oyibo W, Olaniyan K, Orish V, Iriemenam N. Malaria—Case Management in Lagos, Nigeria, With SD–BIOLINE HRP-2–Based RDTS. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2018 Oct 1; 150(suppl_1).
- Orish V, Afutu L, Ayodele O, Likaj L, Marinkovic A, Sanyaolu A. A 4-Day Incubation Period of Plasmodium falciparum Infection in a Nonimmune Patient in Ghana: A Case Report. Open forum infectious diseases 2019 Jan 17 (Vol. 6, No. 1, p. ofy169). US: Oxford University Press: ofy169. https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofy169
- Chuku Okorie, Kola Ajibesin, Adekunle Sanyaolu, Adeena Islam, Selciya Lamech, Kudakwashe Mupepi, Tatenda Mupepi, Akeem Oseni, Oluwayemisi Oyeleke, Amos Abioye. A Review of the Therapeutic Benefits of Moringa oleifera in Controlling High Blood Pressure (Hypertension). Current Traditional Medicine, 2019, 5(1): i
- Sanyaolu A, Hammoudi D, Badaru O, Adekanye I, Akinwekomi A, Shyshkova K. The Mechanism of HIV-1 Latency and Therapeutic Implication. Madridge J Immunol. 2019 Feb 28;3(1):78-83.
- Sanyaolu A, Okorie C, Marinkovic A, Likaj L, Ayodele O, Abbasi A, Goose J, Younis S, angat J, Badaru O . The prevalence of oropharyngeal carcinoma caused by HPV infections in the US: A review. J Infectious Disease Med Microbiol. 2019; 3 (1): 1-4.
- Sanyaolu A, Ayodele O, Likaj L, Marinkovic A, Locke J, Ahmed M, Akanbi O, Orish V, Okorie C, Badaru O. Changing Epidemiology, Treatment, and Vaccine Update on Chikungunya, Dengue, and Zika Viruses. Current Tropical Medicine Reports. 2019:1-5.
- Orish VN, Agbemafle I, Obum EK, Onyeabor OS, Sanyaolu AO, Okorie C, Adzaku FK. Socioeconomic Risk Factors for Plasmodium falciparum Infection in Primary School Children in Three Districts of the Volta Region Of Ghana. Journal of health care for the poor and underserved. 2019; 30(3):1165-83.
- Abioye A, Sanyaolu A, Dudzinska P, Adepoju-Bello AA. Chitosan-induced synergy for extended antimicrobial potency and enhanced in vitro drug release of free base ciprofloxacin nanoplexes. Pharmaceutical nanotechnology. 2019 Oct.
- Sanyaolu A, Okorie C, Qi X, Locke J, Rehman S. Childhood and Adolescent Obesity in the United States: A Public Health Concern. Global Pediatric Health. 2019 Nov; 6.
- Sanyaolu A, Okorie C, Marinkovic A, Ayodele O, Abbasi AF, Prakash S, Gosse J, Younis S, Mangat J, Chan H. Measles Outbreak in Unvaccinated and Partially Vaccinated Children and Adults in the United States and Canada (2018-2019): A Narrative Review of Cases. INQUIRY: The Journal of Health Care Organization, Provision, and Financing. 2019 Dec; 56.
- Hodge J, Hammoudi D, Benayache I, Sanyaolu A, Antonio A. Persistent Hypothyroidism Despite Standard Levothyroxine Treatment: A Case Study of Tissue Hypothyroidism. Asclepius Med Case Rep 2019; 2(2):1-7.
- Sanyaolu A, Badaru O, Okorie C, Marinkovic A, Ayodele O, et al. (2020) The Prevalence of Hepatitis B, C and HIV among Injection Drug Users in the USA. J Microbiol Microb Infect, 2(1): 56-62.