Associate Professor Physical and Environmental Sciences
University of Toronto, Scarborough
Ontario, Scarborough, Canada
Phone: (416) 287-7215
- M.Sc. University of Toronto, St. George Campus (2001)
- Ph.D. University of Toronto, St. George Campus (2005)
My current research interests are primarily focused in the area of organic synthesis with medicinal applications, particularly the synthesis of small molecules with potential to sensitize cells to death receptor ligands. In addition, I am working on developing new undergraduate experiments which incorporate stereochemistry principles as well as micro-scale techniques into the laboratory curriculum. I have initiated new pedagogical methods of teaching chemistry concepts using case studies and implemented class participation through iClicker technology.
I have received the following awards and grants in support of my teaching and I am also in the process of publishing a case study for teaching organic structures and functionality, as well as our findings on the impact of lab skills seminars and extra credit projects on student learning in chemistry.
- Organic Synthesis
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Nominated for Professor of the Year Award
Nominated for UTSC Faculty Teaching Award
Dean’s Special Merit Award
- Shadi Dalili, Allyson Skene; “Impact of Facilitated Study Groups on Student Learning in 2nd year Organic Chemistry Courses”; Chimica nella Scuola, 2013
- Svetlana N. Mikhaylichenko, Olga Kvak, Shadi Dalili, Vladimir N. Zaplishny; “Synthesis of new 4,6‐disubstituted‐1,3‐5‐triazin‐2‐yloxy esters and N‐hydroxyamides”; Eur. J. Chem., 2010, 4, 302-306
- Mikhaylichenko, S.N.; Patel, S.; Dalili, S.; Chesnyuk, A.A.; Zaplishny, V.N. “Synthesis and structure of new 1,3,5-triazine-pyrazole derivatives”; Tetrahedron Letters, 2009, 50 (21), 2505-2508
- Tabitha E. Wood, Shadi Dalili, Craig D. Simpson, Mahadeo A. Sukhai, Rose Hurren, Xinliang Mao, Fernando Suarez Saiz, Marcela Gronda, Yanina Eberhard, Neil MacLean, Troy Ketela, John C. Reed, Jason Moffat, Mark D. Minden, Robert A. Batey, Aaron D. Schimmer** “Selective Inhibition of Histone Deacetylases Sensitizes Malignant Cells to Death Receptor Ligands” Mol. Cancer Ther. 2010, 9 (1), 246-256.
- Tabitha E. Wood, Shadi Dalili, Rose Hurren, Xinliang Mao, Fernando Suarez Saiz, Marcela Gronda, Craig D. Simpson, Yanina Eberhard, Mark D. Minden, Philip J. Bilan, Amira Klip, Robert A. Batey**, Aaron D. Schimmer**. A novel inhibitor of glucose uptake sensitizes cells to FAS-induced cell death. Mol. Cancer Ther. 2008, 7, 3546-3555.
- Rose Hurren, Reza Beheshti Zavareh, Shadi Dalili, Tabitha Wood, David Rose, Hong Chang, Mark D. Minden, Nazir Jamal, Hans Messner, John H Brummel, Robert Batey**, Aaron D. Schimmer**. A novel diquinolonium displays preclinical anti-cancer activity in leukemia and myeloma cells and induces caspase-independent autophagic cell death. Apoptosis 2008, 13, 748-755
- Schimmer, A.D.; Dalili, S.; Batey, R.A. & Riedl, S.J. Targeting XIAP for the treatment of malignancy. Cell Death Differ 2006, 13, 179-188
- Yip, Kenneth W.; Mao, Xinliang; Au, P.Y. Billie; Hedley, David W.; Chow, Sue; Dalili, Shadi; Mocanu, Joseph D.; Bastianutto, Carlo; Schimmer, Aaron; Liu, Fei-Fei. Benzethonium Chloride: a Novel Anticancer Agent Identified by Using a Cell-Based Small-Molecule Screen. Clinical Cancer Research 2006, 12(18), 5557-5569.
- Schimmer, A.D. & Dalili, S. Targeting the IAP family of caspase inhibitors as an emerging therapeutic strategy. Hematology (Am Soc Hematol Educ Program), 2005, 215-219
- Dalili, S. & Yudin, A.K. Transition metal-catalyzed synthesis and reactivity of N-alkenyl aziridines. Org. Lett. 2005, 7(6), 1161-1164
- Dalili, S.; Caiazzo, A. & Yudin, A.K. Aziridine-derived iminophosphine ligands in palladium-catalyzed allylic substitution. J. Organomet. Chem. 2004, 689(22), 3604-3611
- Caiazzo, A.; Dalili, S.; Picard, C.; Sasaki, M.; Siu, T. & Yudin, A.K. New methods for the synthesis of heterocyclic compounds. Pure & Appl. Chem., 2004, 76 (3), 603-613
- Sasaki, M.; Dalili, S. & Yudin, A.K. N-arylation of aziridines. J. Org. Chem. 2003, 68(5), 2045-2047
- Caiazzo, A.; Dalili, S. & Yudin, A.K. Lewis acid-catalyzed dimerization of N-unprotected aziridines. Synlett, 2003, 14, 2198-2202
- Caiazzo, A.; Dalili, S. & Yudin, A.K. Design and development of cyclohexane-based P,N- ligands for transition metal catalysis. Org. Lett. 2002, 4(15), 2597-2600