Professor of Biology
- Department Biology
Texas Southern University
Environmental Sciences, Ph.D
University of Texas, School of Public Health, Houston, TX
MSc Medical Entomology
Vector Control Research Center (World Health Organization), Pondicherry, India
Womens Christian College, Madras, India
- Upstream targets in lymphocyte signaling in microgravity
- Adaptive genetic response gene suites in microgravity, hyper gravity and high altitude stress
- Lymphocyte locomotion and signal transduction in microgravity
- Immune suppression, cardiovascular biomarkers and nutritional immunomodulation.
- Bone tissue engineering and resorption models
- Melanoma models in microgravity
- Particulate and Nano particulate toxicity models
- Three-dimensional mathematical tissue modeling of heavy ion effects.
Awards and Prizes
- Women in Scientific Excellence in Texas, July 2015:
- Johnson Space Center- NASA University Research 1 project Group Achievement Award-January 2015(Principal Investigator)
- Best Research Award: July 2014 for The International Congress on Nutrition and Integrative Medicine (ICNIM) for the project “AHCC Triggers Immune Proliferation and Activation of Human Lymphocytes via Targeted Phenotypic and Genotypic Transformation”.-July, 2014.
- Deans leadership Award-June 2011
- Faculty-Best Presentation Award, Texas Southern University, Research Week, 2006, 2009.
- Travel award –Invited Speaker-15th Humans in Space Symposium, May 22-26, 2005, Graz, Austria.
- Invited Speaker- Session on Gene expression-International Society of gravitational and Space Physiology, June 26-July 1, 2005, Cologne Germany.
- NASA Space Life Sciences-Biological Systems Office Special Achievement Group Award in teaching and research, 2005.January, 2005.
- NASA Life Sciences achievement award for teaching “Physiology and Medicine” graduate level course at UTMB Galveston, 2002
- Excellence in Science award from Wyle Laboratories (Aug.1999)
- Trainee medal received during pre-doctoral fellowship (1997)
- World Health Organization (WHO) and Indian Council of Medical Research Fellowship for pursuing a PhD program (1990)
- Ranked second among 50 in the University in Master's program (1990)
- Indian Council of Medical Research Fellowship for Master's program in Medical Entomology (1988)
- Ranked second in Microbiology and Zoology in B.S program (1988)
- Gold medals in jeopardy, elocution, debate, creative writing and dramatics (1972-1990)
- Manshouri T, Huang S, Sundaresan A, Chakravarthy M, Chakrabarthy S and Albitar M. “Development of a Partial Fibronectin Knockout Transgenic Mouse Model”. Transgenics, 1996, Vol. 01, p 1-7.
- Sundaresan A, Claypool K, Mehta K, Lopez-Berestein G, Ford RJ. “Retinoid Mediated Inhibition and Apoptosis in NHL-B Lymphomas”. Cell Growth and Differentiation, 1997, 8, 1071-1082.
- Sundaresan A, Risin D, and Pellis NR. Locomotion inhibition in lymphocytes involves differential expression of PKC isoforms. Scandinavian J. of Immunology. 54 Supp. 1, pg 20, 2001
- Sundaresan, A, Risin, D, and Pellis, NR. Loss of Signal transduction and inhibition of lymphocyte locomotion in a ground based model of microgravity. In vitro cell and dev biol 38(2), 118-122 (2002)
- Kulkarni, AD, Yamauchi K, Hales MW, Sundaresan A, Andrassy, RJ, Pellis NR. Nutrition beyond nutrition:plausibility of immunotrophic nutrition for space travel. Clinical Nutrition. 21(3):231-238,
- Hales NW, Yamauchi K, Martinez A.A, Sundaresan A, Pellis NR, Kulkarni AD. A countermeasure to ameliorate immune dysfunction in in vitro simulated micro gravity environment: Role of cellular nucleotide nutrition. In Vitro Biol 38(4):213-217, 2002
- Sundaresan A, Yamauchi K, Kulkarni,AD, Pellis NR. Micro gravity and modeled micro gravity effects on ymphocyte signal transduction: Comparisons between human and mouse lymphocyte signaling. Japanese Jrl of Aerospace research, p2001-2002, Dec, 2002.
- Yamauchi K, Sundaresan A, Hales NW, Yamamoto Y, Pellis NR, Kulkarni AD. Nutritional countermeasure to obviate immune dysfunction in microgravity. Japanese Jrl of Aerospace research, p2003-2004, Dec, 2002
- Kulkarni AD, Yamauchi K, Taga M, Savary C, Sundaresan A, Pellis NR. Space immunology and countermeasures research in modeled micro gravity. Aerospace Sciences JournaI. 2002-0325: 1-6, 2002.
- Sundaresan, A., Risin D., and Pellis NR. Modeled microgravity-induced protein kinase C isoform expression in human lymphocytes. J Appl Physiol. June 2004.
- Sundaresan A, Risin D and Pellis NR. Cell Growth in Microgravity. In: Meyers, R.A. , Sendtko, A. and Henheik, P. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Molecular Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine, Vol. 2, pp 303-321, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2004.
- Sundaresan A, Clarke MSF and Neal R Pellis: NASA technical disclosure document:titled MSC#24000 titled “Development and Characterization of a three dimensional model of human bone. March 2005.
- Sundaresan A, Kulkarni AD, Yamauchi K and Pellis NR. Signaling in human and murine lymphocytes in microgravity: Parallels and contrasts, Amer Gravit and Space Biol Bull, Feb 2005
- A.Sundaresan and N.R.Pellis: Human adaptation genetic response suites: Towards formulating new interventions and countermeasures for spaceflight J. Grav. Physiol. 12(1):P229-P232, 2005
- C.kaur, V.Sivakumar, S.Lin, and A.Sundaresan: Hypoxic damage to the periventricular white matter in neonatal brain: role of vascular endothelial growth factor, nitric oxide and excitotoxicity; Journal of Neurochemistry 2006 98:4 1200
- Alamelu Sundaresan (Lalita), Anil D. Kulkarni, Keiko Yamauchi and Neal R. Pellis: The role of nucleotides in augmentation of lymphocyte locomotion: adaptational countermeasure development in microgravity analog environments: Microgravity Science and Technology-XVIII-3/4 (2006).
- Sundaresan, A., Kulkarni, A.D., Yamauchi, K., and Pellis, N.R. The role of nucleotides in augmentation of lymphocyte locomotion: Adaptational countermeasure development in microgravity analog environments. Microg. Sci. Tech. (Feb)18:247-249, 2006.
- Sundaresan, A. and Pellis, N.R. Cellular and genetic adaptation in low gravity environments. Gene Regulation in modeled microgravity: Ann of NY Acad. Sci.,1161, pg135-146, ( 2009).
- Martinelli, L.K., Russomano, T., Santos, M.A., Falcão, F.P., Bauer, M.E., Machado, A., and Sundaresan, A. Effect of microgravity on immune cell viability and proliferation-simulation using a 3D clinostat. IEEE Engineering in Biology and Medicine. (2009) 28(4), 85-90.
- A.Ponomarev, A.Sundaresan and F.Cuccinottta: Spatial pattern of cell damage in tissue from eavy ions; Manuscript in press, Aviation, Space and Environmental medicine, April 2010)
- Sundaresan, A., Ponomarev, A., Vazquez, M., Guida, P., Kim, A., and Cucinotta, F., “A Computer Model of the Effects of Heavy Ion Radiation on Human Tissue,” Advances in Space Research, 47, pp 37-48, 2011.
- Sundaresan, A., Russomano, T., dos Santos, M., Bosquillon, C., Falcao, F., Marriot, C., Forbes, B., “Modeling the Effects of Microgravity on the Permeability of Air-Interface Respiratory Epithelial Cell Layers,” Advances in Space Research, 46(6), pp 712-718, 2010.
- Shah, S., Walker, P., Sundaresan, A., Moore-Olufemi, S., Kulkarni, A., Andrassy, R., “An Evidence based Review of a Lentinula edodes Mushroom Extract as Complementary Therapy in the Surgical Oncology Patient,” The Journal of Parenteral and Enternal Nutrition. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr July 2011 vol. 35 no. 4 449-458
- A.Sundaresan: A Possible Cardiovascular Predictor of Susceptibility to Microgravity. International Journal of Transport Phenomena Volume 12, Number 1-2,pg 93-100, December 2011.
- Sundaresan.A, Gibson T, Cao T, Clemens C and James J: Cellular effects of lunar simulant mineral dust on Human Airway Epithelial Cells: Proceedings of ITP2011,Interdisciplinary Transport Phenomena VII. Fluid, Thermal, Biological, Materials and Space Sciences, (13) pg 3-7, 2011.
- Clarke, M.S.F*., Sundaresan, A*.,Vanderberg, C.,and Pellis, N.R., A three-dimensional tissue culture model of bone formation utilizing rotational co-culture of human adult osteoblasts and osteoclasts Acta Biomaterialia, Volume 9, Issue 8, August 2013, Pages 7908–7916.
- A. Sundaresan, J. E. Reseland: Effects of load on normal human osteoblast function. European Cells and Materials,. Volume No 26 - Supplement 2,pages 32-33 – 2013.
- Kulkarni, A. Sundaresan, M. Rashid, S. Yamamoto and F. Karkow: Application of diet derived taste active components for clinical nutrition. E-pub in ‘Current Pharmaceutical Design, Jul 26, 2013.