Professor of Sociobehavioral Administrative Pharmacy
Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Tel: (954) 262-1328
|1992-1996||Ph.D. in Pharmacy Administration||University of Maryland at Baltimore, Maryland|
BiographyDr. Leanne Lai obtained her Ph.D. from University of Maryland in Pharmacoeconomics. She has been working at the department of social administrative pharmacy at Nova Southeastern University since 1996 with specializing in health services outcome research, research design and statistics, and pharmacoeconomic/epidemiology. She has over hundred of publications and presentations at the health and pharmacy professional journals and conferences. She was also appointed by the National Institute of Health Center for scientific review special emphasis panel as the research grant proposal reviewer since 2002. In addition to research and teaching at the School of Pharmacy, Dr. Lai was appointed by the formal Florida State Governor Bush in three consecutive terms to serve at the state of the Florida pharmaceutical and therapeutical committee, where her principal role is to evaluate the preferred drug list for Medicaid formulary from cost effectiveness perspective. She also served at the State of Florida Medicaid drug utilization review Board in the past nine years.
- Pharmacoeocnomics and Outcome Research
- Big Data Analysis
- Prescribing pattern
- Off-Label Drug Use
|2008-Present|| Full Professor, Department of Sociobehavioral Administrative Pharmacy
Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy, Florida, USA
|2002-2011||Director of International Pharmacy Program, Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy, Florida, USA|
|2001-2008||Associate Professor, Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy, Florida, USA|
|1996-2000||Assistant Professor, Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy, Florida, USA|
|2002-2003||Experiential Education Adjunct Instructor, Duquesne University Myland School of Pharmacy, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia|
|1999-2004|| Adjunct Professor, Atlantic Institute of Oriental Medicine, Florida, USA.
Adjunct Assistant Professor, National Cheng Kung University School of Medicine Institute of Clinical Pharmacy, Tainan, Taiwan
|1999-Present||American Managed Care Pharmacy|
|1997-2010||FIP International Pharmaceutical Federation|
|1992-2009||American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy|
|1993||American Public Health Association|
|1996-Present||American Pharmacist Association, International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcome Research|
|1998-2003||American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)|
|1993-2002||International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology (ISPE) - 12th ISPE Scientific Program Committee Member|
Honors & Awards
|2010||Annual Distinguished Alumni Award, Kaohsiung Medical University College of Pharmacy; Top five final Nominees for the Administrator of the Year Award of the 11th Annual Student Life Achievement Award at Nova Southeastern University|
|2009||Top five final Nominees for the Administrator of the Year Award of the 10th Annual Student Life Achievement Award at Nova Southeastern University; Outstanding Teacher Finalist, awarded in recognition of Excellence and Innovation in Teaching. Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy|
|2007|| Who’s Who Among Executive and Professional Women in the Pharmaceutical Industry; Chief Guest of Honor on the occasion of the Oath Taking Ceremony by Pharmacy Graduates Location: The University of West Indies, Trinidad and Tobago
Sponsor: The University of West Indies, Trinidad and Tobago
|2001-2007||Government Appointment, Appointed by the Florida State Governor in three consecutive terms to serve as one of the nine members of Medicaid Pharmaceutical and Therapeutics Committee for the purposes of determining Florida Medicaid prescription drugs formulary|
|2006||Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers|
|2005||Honorable Visiting Professorship in Pharmacoeconomics – National Defense Medical University, Taiwan; Distinguished Scholar Award – Rotary International, Tainan, Taiwan|
|2004||Honorable Government Health Care Policy Consultant – Awarded from the office of State Legislator – Mr. Chin-De Lai, Taiwan|
|2003||Guest of Honor of Florida’s 43rd Governor-elected Jeb Bush Inaugural Gala and Events, Tallahassee, Florida|
|2002||“Coffee with Mrs. Barbara Bush” – Governor Jeb Bush, The Governor’s Mansion, Tallahassee, Florida|
|2001||NSU Faculty Representative for the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony of the grand opening of Nova Southeastern University Library, Research, and Information Technology Center|
- Lai L. An Economic and Outcome Evaluation of Pharmaceutical Care Services Program For Maryland Medicaid Recipients (Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Maryland at Baltimore, 1996)
- Lai L. Assessing Data Quality For Decision Support - Emphasis on Secondary Analysis. Pharmacy Practice Manage Quarterly 1998; 18: 46-51.
- Lai L. Sorkin A. Cost Benefit Analysis of Pharmaceutical Care in Medicaid Population - From Budgetary Perspective. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy 1998; 4: 303-308.
- Lai L. Effects of a Pharmaceutical Care Intervention in Primary Care Ambulatory Settings Among Medicaid Population. Journal of Pharmaceutical Care 1998, 2: 1-13.
- Dutta S. Ting C, Lai L. Prevalence, Etiology and Severity of Acute Pancreatitis in Patients Infected with Human Immunodeficiency Virus. The American Journal of Gastroenterology 1997, 92: 2044-2048.
- Lai L. Does Pharmaceutical Care Service Change the Utilization and Cost of Medicaid Pharmacy and Managed Care 1999; January/February, Vol. 6, No. 1: 7-12.
- Lai L. A Statewide Survey of Pharmacists Knowledge of OTC Herbal Remedy. Florida Pharmacy Today, 1999, Vol 60: 9: 12-15.
- Lai L. Chapter 30. Medicare and Managed Care. Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank for The Essentials of Managed Health Care. 4th Edition. Aspen Publications 2000.
- Lai L. Chapter 31. Medicaid and Managed Care. Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank for The Essentials of Managed Health Care. 4th Edition. Aspen Publications 2000.
- Lai L. Chapter 32. Legal Issues in Provider Contracting. Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank for The Essentials of Managed Health Care. 4th Edition. Aspen Publications 2000.
- Lai L. Chapter 33. Legal Liability Related To Medical Management Activities. Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank for The Essentials of Managed Health Care. 4th Edition. Aspen Publications 2000.
- Lai L. Chapter 34. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank for The Essentials of Managed Health Care. 4th Edition. Aspen Publications 2000.
- Lai L. Chapter 35. State Regulation of Managed Care. Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank for The Essentials of Managed Health Care. 4th Edition. Aspen Publications 2000.
- Lai L. Chapter 36. Managed Care’s Regulatory Evolution: Driving Change in The New Century. Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank for The Essentials of Managed Health Care. 4th Edition. Aspen Publications 2000.
- Lai L., Poblet M., Bello C. Are Patients with Hyperlipidemia Being Treated? Investigation of Cholesterol Treatment Practices in an HMO Primary Care Setting. Southern Medical Journal, 2000; 283-286.
- Hardigan P., Lai L., Carvajal M. Structural Equation Models of Job Satisfaction: The Influence of Moderating Variables. Journal of Pharmaceutical Marketing and Management, 2000; Vol. 13: 4: 57-71.
- Lai L, Alfred L. Impacts of Consultant Pharmacist Intervention on Antibiotic Therapy For Nursing Home Facility Residents Aged 85 and Older. Consultant Pharmacist 2001; February, Vol. 16, No. 2: 130-134.
- Hardigan P., Lai L., Robeson A.. The Significance of Academic Merit, Test Scores and Interviews in the 6 Admissions Process: A Case Study. Am. J. Pharm. Educ; 2001 , 65, 40-43.
- Bailin A., Lai L. Are Pharmacists In Mail Order Pharmacy Performing Pharmaceutical Care? Journal of Managed Pharmaceutical Care 2002;1;3:61-69.
- Singh D., Lai L.et. al. Role of Clinical Pharmacist in a Heart Failure Patients. Hospital Pharmacy 2005; 40; October: 890-896.
- Lai L., Novoa G. Hypertensive Disease Management Community Outreach Program in Hispanics. (Letter to Editor) Southern Medical Journal. 2005;98;7:748-749.
- Lai L. Measuring Indirect Benefits of Pharmacy Services Program – An Economic Evaluation Using Human Capital Approach. Journal of Pharmaceutical Finance, Economics, and Policy 2005;14;1:3-16.
- Lai L. Community Pharmacy-Based Hypertension Disease Management Program in a Latino-American Population. Consultant Pharmacist 2007; May, Vol. 22, No. 5: 411-416.
- Lai L., Gharib S. Analysis of Potential Drug-Drug Interactions on Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitors in the United States Outpatient Settings. Journal of Pharmaceutical Finance, Economics, and Policy 2007;17;1.
- Wu H., Lai L. Prospective of Taiwan Pharmacy Education. The J of Taiwan Pharmacy 2008, 97: 1-14.
- Huang HF., Lai L., et. al. Using an Exploratory Approach to Help Autistic Children Learn Mathematics. Creative Education 2010: 1, No. 3: 149-153.
- Lai L., Tan MH., et.al. Prevalence and Factors Associated with Off-Label Antidepressant Prescriptions for Insomnia. Drug, Healthcare and Patient Safety 2011:3 27-36.
- Metscher D., Lowe W., Barnes F., Lai L. Using Leadership Commitment for Civil Servants and Air Force Personnel in Times of Conflict. 2011: XXXV, No. 1: 125-133.
- Huang HF., Lai L., Rivera HJ. Effective Mathematics Strategies for Pre-School Children with Autism. Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom 2012:17(2): 25-30.
- Yang T., Nyiawung D., Silber Al, Jao J., Lai L., Bai S. Comparative Studies on Chitosan and Polylactic-co-glycolic Acid Incorporated Nanoparticles of Low Molecular Weight Heparin. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2012 DOI: 10.1208/s12249-012-9854-8.
- Lai L. Chapter 2. Financing Health Care in the United States. Pharmacy and the U.S. Health Care System. 4th Edition, Pharmaceutical Products Press, c. Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain 2013: 21-34. ISBN 9780857110220
- Nakagawa N., Lai L., Mano N. Potential Changes to the Model Core Curriculum for Pharmaceutical Education in Japan based on Direct Observation of the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience at Nova Southeastern University in the United States. Japanese Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Care and Science 2013: 39(1): 25-32.
- Lai, L., Harrington, C., Armayor, G. The effects of Medicare Part D Drug Coverage on Prescription Drug Use for Elderly with Sleep Disorders in The United States. International Review of Business and Social Sciences. 2013: 2(2) 1-11.
- Popovici, I., Lai, L., Lopez-Evangelio F. Non-Medical Use of Prescription Drugs and Health Services Utilization. Journal of Developing Drugs 2013: 2: 104.
- Lai, L., Nguyen T, Ting A, Yang T, Bai S. Nanomedicine: Economic Prospect and Public Safety. Journal of Developing Drugs 2013: 2(3) 1-2.
- Tenam-Zamach, M., Kirchgessner, M., Pecore, J., Lai, L. Development of an Innovative Method for Analyzing the Presence of Environmental Sustainability Themes and an Ecological Paradigm in Science Content Standards. Studies in Educational Evaluation 2014: 01.
- Lai L., Almasri D. Sanabria S. Undertreatment of Migraine in the United States– A Population Based Study. American Journal of Pharmacy & Health Research 2015: 3(3).
- Althemery A., Lai L., Alfaifi A. Socioeconomic Factors Associated With Cholesterol Monitoring Among Patients with Hyperlipidemia; Application of The Andersen Behavioral Model. International Journal of Medical and Health Sciences 2015 4(2), 275–281.
- Lai L., Bleidt B., Singh-France D., Elusma C., Huh G. Trends in Benzodiazepine Prescribing Under Medicare Part D in USA: Outpatient Settings 2005-2009. Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research 2015; 6: 133-138.
- Yang T, Fogarty B, LaForge B, Aziz1 S, Pham1 T, Lai L, Bai S (Revision) Delivery of small interfering RNA to inhibit vascular endothelial growth factor using natural brain endothelia cell-secreted exosome nanovesicles for the treatment of brain cancer. The AAPS Journal.
- Lai L., Alfaifi A., Althemery A. Healthcare Disparities in Hispanic Diabetes Care - A Propensity Score-Matched Study. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. DOI: 10.1007/s10903-016-0505-0. In Print.