- : (803) 777-8440 : (803) 777-0410
Department of Drug Discovery and Biomedical Sciences
University of South Carolina
|1983||Master of Science||Kiev State University|
|1990||Doctor of Philosophy||Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Kiev, Ukraine, Ph.D.|
|1991-1994||Postdoctoral Fellowship, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience||National Institute of Child Health & Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, MD|
My research addresses cellular and molecular effects of both existing anticancer drugs and novel cancer drug candidates. In particular, I have studies the mechanisms of mitotic catastrophe and cellular senescence induced by DNA-damaging agents and cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors. In recent years, the main focus of my studies was on the role of transcription-regulating kinases in different types of cancer, their functions in regulating tumor-promoting signal transduction pathways, and preclinical studies of small-molecule CDK8 inhibitors in breast cancer.
|1983||1st place in the USSR National Competition of Master’s Dissertations|
|1983||1st place in the Ukrainian Competition of Master’s Dissertations|
|1984, 1986, 1989, 1990||Ukrainian Academy of Sciences Honors for Research Excellence|
|1991-1994||John E. Fogarty International Fellowship Award for Advanced Studies in Health Studies|
|1995||Travel award for 6th International Symposium on Neural Regeneration, Pacific Grove, CA, Dec 6-10, 1995|
|1976 – 1980||Research Assistant, Department of Plant Physiology, Institute of Botany, Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Kiev, Ukraine.|
|1980 – 1983||Research Associate, Department of Plant Physiology, Institute of Botany, Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Kiev, Ukraine.|
|1983 – 1991||Principal Investigator, Molecular Biology Group, Department of Plant Physiology, Institute of Botany, Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Kiev, Ukraine.|
|1987 – 1990||Visiting Scientist, Laboratory of Protein Synthesis,Institute of Protein Research, USSR Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, Moscow Region.|
|1984 – 1986||Visiting Scientist, Laboratory for Cell and Tissue Culture, Institute of Experimental Cardiology, National Cardiology Research Center, Moscow, Russia.|
|1991 – 1994||Postdoctoral Fellow, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, MD.|
|1994 – 1997||Research Associate, Department of Cell Biology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC.|
|1997 - 2003||Research Assistant Professor, Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL.|
|2003 - 2011||Senior Scientist and Associate Director, Cancer Center, Ordway Research Institute, Albany, NY.|
|2005 – 2011||Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY|
|2012 – Present||Assistant Professor, Department of Drug Discovery and Biomedical Sciences, South Carolina College of Pharmacy, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC.|
- Broude, E.V., McAtee, M., Kelley, M.S., and Bregman, B.S. Fetal spinal cord transplants and exogenous neurotrophic support enhance the c-Jun expression in mature axotomized neurons after spinal cord injury. (1999). Experimental Neurology, 155, 65-78.
- Chang, B.D., Broude, E.V., Fang, J., Kalinichenko, T.V., Abdryashitov, R., Poole, J.C., and Roninson, I.B. p21waf1/cip1/sdi1-induced growth arrest is associated with depletion of mitosis-control proteins and leads to abnormal mitosis and endoreduplication in recovering cells. (2000). Oncogene, 19: 2165-2170.
- Chang, B.D., Broude, E.V., Watanabe, K., Fang, J., Poole, J.C., Kalinichenko, T.V., and Roninson, I.B. (2000) Effects of p21WAF1/CIP1/SDI1 on Cellular Gene Expression: Implications for Carcinogenesis, Senescence and Age-Related Diseases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., U.S.A., 97: 4291-4296.
- Roninson, I.B., Chang, B.D., and Broude, E. (2001). Non-apoptotic responses to anticancer agents: mitotic catastrophe, senescence, and the role of p53 and p21. In: Cell Cycle Checkpoints and Cancer, Mikhail V. Blagosklonny, Ed., Landes Bioscience, Georgetown, TX, pp. 196-207.
- Chang, B.D., Swift, M.E., Shen, M., Fang, J., Broude, E.V., and Roninson, I.B. (2002). Molecular determinants of terminal growth arrest induced in tumor cells by a chemotherapeutic drug. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99, 389-394.
- Broude, E.V., Demidenko, Z.N., Vivo, C., Swift, M.E., Davis, B.M., Blagosklonny, M.V., Roninson I.B. p21 (CDKN1A) is a negative regulator of p53 stability. (2007). Cell Cycle 6, 1468-1471.
- Broude, E.V., Swift, M.E., Vivo, C., Chang, B.D., Davis, B.M., Kalurupalle, S., Blagosklonny, M.V., Roninson, I.B. p21Waf1/Cip1/Sdi1 mediates retinoblastoma protein degradation. (2007). Oncogene. Oct 18; 26(48):6954-8.
- Broude, E.V., Loncarek, J., Wada, I., Cole, K., Hanko, C., Swift, M. and Roninson, I.B. (2008). Mitotic catastrophe in cancer therapy. In "Beyond Apoptosis: How Anticancer Agents Stop the Growth of Tumor Cells", I.B. Roninson, J.M. Brown and D.E. Bredesen, Editors, Informa Healthcare, pp. 307-320.
- Roninson, I.B. and Broude, E.V. (2008). Treatment-induced tumor cell senescence and its consequences. In "Beyond Apoptosis: How Anticancer Agents Stop the Growth of Tumor Cells", I.B. Roninson, J.M. Brown and D.E. Bredesen, Editors, Informa Healthcare, pp. 223-249.
- Shtutman, M., Maliyekkel, A., Shao, Y., Carmack, C.S., Baig, M., Warholic, N., Cole, K., Broude, E.V., Harkins, T.T., Ding, Y., and Roninson, I.B. (2010). Function-based gene identification using enzymatically generated normalized short hairpin RNA library and massive parallel sequencing. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 107, 7377-7382.
- Shtutman, M., Baig, M., Levina, E., Hurteau, G., Lim, C., Broude, E.V., Nikiforov, M.A., Harkins, T.T., Carmack, C.S., Ding, E. Wieland, F., Buttyan, R., and Roninson, I.B. (2011). Tumor cell survival is dependent on a coat protein subunit COPZ1 due to the silencing of its isoform COPZ2. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 108, 12449-54.
- Gonzales, R.E., Lim, C., Cole, K., Bianchini, C.H., Schools, G.P., Davis, B.E., Wada, I., Roninson, I.B., and Broude, E.V. Effects of conditional depletion of topoisomerase II on cell cycle progression in mammalian cells. Cell Cycle, 2011, Oct 15; 10(20), 3505-3514.
- Levina E, Ji H, Chen M, Baig M, Oliver D, Ohouo P, Lim CU, Schools G, Carmack S, Ding Y, Broude EV, Roninson IB, Buttyan R, Shtutman M. Identification of novel genes that regulate androgen receptor signaling and growth of androgen-deprived prostate cancer cells. Oncotarget. 2015 May 30; 6(15):13088-104.
- Broude EV*, Győrffy B, Chumanevich A, Chen M, McDermott MS, Shtutman, M., Catroppo, J.F., Roninson, I.B. (2015). Expression of CDK8 and CDK8-interacting genes as potential biomarkers in breast cancer. Current Cancer Drug Targets, 2015, Vol. 15, No. 8.