- : +44 (0)131 451 3434
School of Mathematical & Computer Sciences; Computer Science
|June 2001||Informatics, The University of Edinburgh||Doctor of Philosophy, title: “Formal Support for an Informal Business Modelling Method”. Description for the Research work is given in the "Selected Experiences" section.|
|July 1995||Department of Artificial Intelligence, The University of Edinburgh||MSc in Artificial Intelligence, Knowledge Based Systems Scheme: courses attended include Knowledge Representation, Expert Systems, Bayesian Networks, Case Based Reasoning, Neural Networks, Mathematical Reasoning, Object-Oriented Database Systems (sit-in), Prolog, Clips and Lisp.|
|May 1991||University of Missouri, Kansas City, USA||MSc in Computer Science, Networking and Telecommunications Programme: courses attended include Telecommunication Networks, Network Architecture, Data Encryption, Local Area Networks, Applied Stochastic Models, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Advanced Computer Architecture, Operating Systems and Pascal.|
|May 1988||SooChow University, Taipei, Taiwan||Bachelor Degree in Business Studies, major in Economics: courses attended include Macro and Micro Economics, Quantity Analysis, Monetary Banking, Financial Policies and Statistics|
|May 1985||National Taipei City College of Business, Taipei, Taiwan||College Degree in Business Studies, major in Banking and Insurance: Basic and Middle Accounting, Bank Accounting, Insurance Policies, Taxation, Data Processing and COBOL. (The education provided in the college is recognised as equivalent to the first two years of studies at a University.)|
- Career Interests: since I have a combinational knowledge and experiences in business, computer science and artificial intelligence, I will be interested in exploring a route where I can take full advantage of this background. I am most interested in work in the areas of grid computing, knowledge management and business (process) modelling where AI techniques may contribute to, such techniques are, e.g., logical methods, enterprise modelling methods, CBR, learning and other techniques.
- While I like to work in a team, I also enjoy taking responsibility for my own tasks. When I run a commercial project, work as a lecture, supervisor for MSc and PhD student projects, a tutor for University courses and as a teacher for Chinese school, I acquired and enhanced my communication and leadership skills. I am well-organised and can manage complicated problems efficiently, an asset which has been most useful whenever I needed to understand and handle novel problems and subjects. It has been particularly useful during my studies, which required me to manage the two very different disciplines of business and computing studies. I enjoy work that requires initiative and creativity. I embrace everyone involved with enthusiasm and am always committed to the work as much as possible in order to make a better contribution.
- I grew up in Taiwan and lived in USA for 3 years. I have now lived in the UK for nearly 14 years. I have enjoyed myself and made friends during my stay in different countries. These international experiences have enabled myself to be an individual who is dynamic and can adapt to different environments quickly.
- During my spare time, I enjoy gardening, travelling, swimming, jogging, playing badminton, film watching, reading and cooking.
- Automatic Workflow Composition, Execution and Quality Assurance for High-volume processing in a heterogeneous High-performance Computing Environment
- Knowledge Engineering
- Intelligent Systems
- Business and Enterprise Modelling
- Business Process Modelling
- Planning Technologies
- Intelligent Supply Chain Management
- eCommerce and Virtual Enterprises
- Knowledge Management
- E-Trading and Collaboration in a Distributed Environment
- Semantic Web and Grid
- Multi-Perspective Modelling
- Knowledge Sharing and Reuse (Ontology Based)
- Verification and Validation of Enterprise Models
- Co-Proposer and Co-I for The EU FP7 Fish4Knowledge Project, Leader for the Intelligent Workflow Team at Edinburgh Univ. (2010-2013).
- Co-Proposer and Co-I for The EU EcoBusiness Project (2009-2012).
- PI: Workflow Enactment in the Grid project in Edinburgh
- 3D Virtual World related Projects
- Advanced Knowledge Technologies Interdisciplinary Research Collaboration (AKT IRC) project
Journal Papers and Book Chapters
- Areti manataki, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Michael Rovatsos. SCOlog: A logic-based approach to analysing supply chain operation dynamics. Expert Systems with Applications (Journal), special issue on Expert Systems and Artificial Intelligence in the 21st Century Logistics and Supply chain Management, 2013.
- G.Nadarajan, Y.-H. Chen-Burger, R. B. Fisher: Semantics and Planning Based Workflow Composition for Video Processing. Journal of Grid Computing, Special Issue on Scientific Workflows, 2013.
- Areti Manataki, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger and Michael Rovatsos (2010) Towards Improving Supply Chain Coordination through Agent-Based Simulation, In book: Trends in Practical Applications of Agents and Multiagent Systems, book series: Advances in Soft Computing, pp. 217-224, Volume 71/2010, ISBN: 978-3-642-12432-7, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-12433-4_26, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, Saturday, April 17, 2010.
- Tate, A., Chen-Burger, Y-H., Dalton, J., Potter, S., Richardson, D., Stader, J., Wickler, G., Bankier, I., Walton, C. and William, P.G. (2009) I-Room: A Virtual Space for Intelligent Interaction, IEEE Intelligent Systems.
- Gayathri Nadarajan, Areti Manataki, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2009) Semantics-Based Process Support for Grid Applications. Grid Technology for Maximizing Collaborative Decision Management and Support: Advancing Effective Virtual Organizations. IGI Global, May 2009.
- Li Guo, Dave Robertson and and Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2007) "Using Multi-agent Platform for Pure Decentralised Business Workflows", Journal of Web Intelligence and Agent Systems (WIAS), ISO Preess.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Yannis Kalfoglou (2007) "Knowledge Management Support for Enterprise Distributed Systems". Handbook of Ontologies for Business Interactions , pp. 294-310, Peter Rittgen (Ed.), IGI Global (former Idea Group Inc.), 2007.
- Gayathri Nadarajan, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2007) "Translating Fundamental Business Process Modelling Language to the Web Services Ontology through Lightweight Mapping". IET Software Journal (formerly IEE Proceedings Software Journal), Volume 1, Issue 1, pp. 1-17, ISSN: 1751-8806, February 2007. DOI: 10.1049/iet-sen:20060042. The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) is a merger of long-standing institutions of IEE, Institution of Electrical Engineers, and the IIE, The Institution of Incorporated Engineers. Keywords: OWL-S, Business Process Modelling, Semantic Web, Web Services, Ontology.
- David Robertson, Chris Walton, Adam Barker, Paolo Besana, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Fadzil Hassan, David Lambert, Guo Li, Jarred McGinnis, Nardine Osman, Alan Bundy, Fiona McNeill, Frank van Harmelen, Carles Sierra and Fausto Giunchiglia (2006) "Models of Interaction as a Grounding for Peer to Peer Knowledge Sharing". In Elizabeth Chang, Tharam S. Dillon, Robert Meersman and Katia Sycara (eds), Advances in Web Semantics, vol 1, LNCS-IFIP (International Federation for Information Processing).
- Page. K. R., Michaelides, D.T., Buckingham Shum, S.J., Chen-Burger, Y-H, Dalton, J., De Roure, D.C., Eisenstadt, M., Potter, S., Shadbolt, N.R., Tate, A., Bachler, M. and Komzak, J. (2005)Collaboration in the Semantic Grid: a Basis for e-Learning. Applied Artificial Intelligence, Taylor & Francis, 19 (9-10): 881-904 NOV-DEC 2005. ISSN: 0883-9514. DOI (Digital Object Identifier): http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1080/08839510500234750 Keywords: grid, collaborative process management, virtual organisation, meeting capture and management, sense making.
- Michelle Bachler, Simon Buckingham Shum, Yun-Heh (Jessica) Chen-Burger, Jeff Dalton, David De Roure, Marc Eisenstadt, Jeremy Frey, Jiri Komzak, Danius Michaelides, Kevin Page, Stephen Potter, Nigel Shadbolt and Austin Tate (2004) Collaboration in the Semantic Grid: a Basis for e-Learning, Grid Learning Services. In Book: AKT Selected Papers, 2004.
- Li Guo, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson (2004) Mapping a business process model to a semantic web services model. In Book: AKT Selected Papers, 2004.
- Hsiang-Ling Kuo, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson (2004) Knowledge Management using Business Process Modeling and Workflow Techniques. In Book: AKT Selected Papers, 2004.
- Yannis Kalfoglou, Srinandan Dasmahapatra and Yun-Heh (Jessica) Chen-Burger (2004) FCA experiences and opportunities with knowledge technologies. In Book: AKT Selected Papers, 2004.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Austin Tate, and Dave Robertson (2003) Enterprise Modelling: A Declarative Approach for FBPML, In Book: AKT Selected Papers, ISBN 0854 327932, April 2003.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Jussi Stader (2003) Formal Support for Adaptive Workflow Systems in a Distributed Environment , Section I, Chapter of book: Workflow Handbook 2003, pp. 93-118.Editor: Layna Fischer. Published in association with Workflow Management Coalition. Publisher: Future Strategies Inc., USA, April 2003. (Workflow Management Coalition is one of the most influential standard organisations for business process modelling and workflow.)
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger. Sharing and Checking Organisation Knowledge. Chapter of book: Knowledge Management and Organizational Memories. Editors: Rose Dieng-Kuntz, Nada Matta. Publisher: Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston Hardbound, ISBN 0-7923-7659-5, July 2002.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson, Jussi Stader (2000) Formal Support for an Informal Business Modeling Method. The International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, IJSEKE February, 2000. World Scientific Publishing Company. Also appears as a research report in School of AI, Informatics Division, University of Edinburgh.
Best Paper Awards
- Li Guo, Dave Robertson, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2005) Enacting the Distributed Business Workflows Using BPEL4WS on the Multi-Agent Platform. Third German Conference on Multiagent System Technologies (MATES 2005). University of Koblenz-Laudau, Koblenz, Germany. September 11-13, 2005. (Finalists for the Best Paper Award of the conference.) Also in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, Ed. Torsten Eymann, Franziska Klugl, Winfried Lamersdorf, Matthias Klusch, Michael N. Huhns. Vol: 3550/2005. ISSN: 0302-9743, pp. 35-46.
- Michelle Bachler, Simon Buckingham Shum, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Jeff Dalton, David De Roure, Marc Eisenstadt, Jeremy Frey, Jiri Komzak, Danius Michaelides, Kevin Page, Stephen Potter, Nigel Shadbolt and Austin Tate (2004) Collaboration in the Semantic Grid: a Basis for e-Learning, Grid Learning Services. The 7th International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems (GLS'2004). The GRID Learning workshop (ITS'2004), August 30th, 2004, Maceio, Brazil.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson. Formal Support for an Informal Business Modeling Method Conference proceedings of The Tenth International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, SEKE'98, June 18-20, 1998, ACM press. It was selected as one of the best papers for the conference by the program committee. This paper is also documented as a DAI research report no. 891 in Edinburgh.
Conference Publications (Selected)
- A. Manataki, Y.-H. Chen-Burger, and M. Rovatsos (2010) Improving the understanding of supply chain dynamics: Towards an intelligent simulation tool. In Proceedings of the 17th Conference of the European Operations Management Association (EurOMA 2010), Porto, Portugal, June, 2010.
- Areti Manataki and Yun-Heh (Jessica) Chen-Burger (2009) Analysing Supply Chain Strategies using Knowledge-Based Techniques. Agents and Multi-Agent Systems: Technologies and Applications. Anne Hakansson, Ngoc Thanh Nguyen, Ronald L. Hartung, Robert J. Howlett, Lakhmi C. Jain (Eds.), LNAI 5559, Springer, June 2009.
- Gaya Nadarajan, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger and Robert Fisher (2009) A Knowledge-Based Planner for Processing Unconstrained Underwater Videos. IJCAI workshop on Learning Structural Knowledge from Observations (IJCAI-StrucK-09), July, 2009.
- Concetto Spampinato, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger , Gayathri Nadarajan, Robert B. Fisher (2008) Detecting, Tracking and Counting Fish in Low Quality Unconstrained Underwater VideosInternational Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, January 22-25, 2008.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Yannis Kalfoglou (2007) "Enterprise Engineering using Semantic Technologies". The 15th European Conference on Information Systems, St. Gallen, Switzerland, JUNE 07-09, 2007.
- Gayathri Nadarajan, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, James Malone (2006) "Semantic-Based Workflow Composition for Video Processing in the Grid" The 2006 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence, Hong Kong, 18-22 December, 2006.
- Gayathri Nadarajan, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, James Malone (2006) "Semantic Grid Services for Video Analysis". International Workshop on Service Composition 2006 Hong Kong, 18-22 December, 2006.
- Gayathri Nadarajan and Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2006) Ontological based mapping between a business process model to OWL-S The 6th IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid), Singapore, May 16-19, 2006. Gayathri Nadarajan and Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2006) Mapping Fundamental Business Process Modelling Language to OWL-S. In proceedings of the 4th Hellenic Conference on Artificial Intelligence (SETN'06), Heraklion, Crete, Greece, May 18th-20th, 2006,
- Li Guo, Dave Robertson, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Jianquan Wang (2005) "Conducting The Agile Negotiation Process Involved in The BPEL4WS Model on the Multi-agent Platform".Conference of China Association for Information Systems, CNAIS, November 2005.
- Li Guo, Dave Robertson, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2005) A Novel Approach For Enacting Distributed Business Workflow on the Peer-to-Peer Platform The IEEE Conference on E-Business Engineering (ICEBE 2005), Beijing, China. Oct 18-20, 2005. Conference Proceedings are available through the IEEE Computer Society Press. (SCI and EI Indexed ).
- Li Guo, Dave Robertson, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2005) A Generic Multi-agent System Platform for Business Workflows Using Web Services Composition. The IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Intelligents Agent Technology (IEEE/WIC/ACM IAT-2005). Compiegne, France. September 19-22, 2005.
- Li Guo, Dave Robertson, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2005) Enacting the Distributed Business Workflows Using BPEL4WS on the Multi-Agent Platform. Third German Conference on Multiagent System Technologies (MATES 2005). University of Koblenz-Laudau, Koblenz, Germany. September 11-13, 2005. (Finalists for the Best Paper Award of the conference.) (1) Also published in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, Ed. Torsten Eymann, Franziska Klugl, Winfried Lamersdorf, Matthias Klusch, Michael N. Huhns. Vol: 3550/2005. ISSN: 0302-9743, pp. 35-46.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Kit Hui, Alun Preece, Peter Gray and Austin Tate (2005) Workflow Collaboration with Constraint Solving Capabilities. Expert Update Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 48-60, ISSN 1465-4091, Summer 2005, The Specialist Group on Artificial Intelligence, British Computer Society (BCS-SGAI).
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Fang-Pang Lin (2005) A Semantic-based Workflow Choreography for Integrated Sensing and Processing. The 9th IEEE International Workshop on Cellular Neural Networks and their Applications (CNNA), Hsin-chu, Taiwan, May 28-30, 2005. Keywords: Grid, semantic based wokflow, EcoGrid, cooperative workflow, adaptive workflow, virtual organisation, Sensor Net.
- Natasha Lino, Austin Tate and Yun-Heh Chen-Burger (2005) Semantic Support for Visualisation in Collaborative AI Planning. The International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS-05), workshop on The Role of Ontologies in AI Planning and Scheduling, Monterey, California, USA, June 2005.
- Lino, N., Tate, A., Siebra, C. and Chen-Burger, Y. (2004) Improving Semantics in Mobile Devices Profiling: A Model Conceptual Formalisation and Ontology Specification, Workshop on Semantic Web Technology for Mobile and Ubiquitous Applications at the 3rd International Semantic Web Conference, Hiroshima, Japan, 7-11 November 2004.
- Li Guo, Dave Robertson, Yun-Heh (Jessica) Chen-Burger (2004). Business Process Model Based Multi-agent System Development. The Second International Workshop On Collaboration Agents: Autonomous Agents for Collaborative Environments, September 20, 2004 - Beijing, China. (In conjunction with the 2004 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence/Intelligent Agent Technology September 20-24, 2004 King Wing Hot Spring Hotel, Beijing, China.)
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Kit-Ying Hui, Alun D. Preece, Peter M. D. Gray, Austin Tate (2004). Workflow Collaboration with Constraint Solving Capabilities. Poster for The Twenty-fourth SGAI International Conference on Innovative Techniques and Applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI-2004).
- Michelle Bachler, Simon Buckingham Shum, Yun-Heh (Jessica) Chen-Burger, Jeff Dalton, David De Roure, Marc Eisenstadt, Jeremy Frey, Jiri Komzak, Danius Michaelides, Kevin Page, Stephen Potter, Nigel Shadbolt and Austin Tate (2004) Collaborative Tools in the Semantic Grid. GGF 11 Semantic Grid Applications workshop, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 10, 2004.
- Michelle Bachler, Simon Buckingham Shum, Yun-Heh (Jessica) Chen-Burger, Jeff Dalton, David De Roure, Marc Eisenstadt, Jeremy Frey, Jiri Komzak, Danius Michaelides, Kevin Page, Stephen Potter, Nigel Shadbolt and Austin Tate (2004) Chain ReAKTing: Collaborative Advanced Knowledge Technologies in the Comb-e-Chem Grid. E-Science All Hands Meeting, August 31 - September 3rd, 2004, Nottingham, UK.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Kit-Ying Hui, Alun D. Preece, Peter M. D. Gray, Austin Tate (2004) Supporting Collaboration through Semantic-based Workflow and Constraint Solving. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW) 2004, 5-8th October 2004 - Whittlebury Hall, Northamptonshire, UK. LECTURE NOTES IN COMPUTER SCIENCE, Springer, 3257: 487-488 2004. Keywords: business process modelling, workflow, semantic web, light-weight logical method, collaborative process management.
- Li Guo, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson (2004) Mapping a business process model to a semantic web services model. In proceedings of 2004 IEEE International Conference on Web Services, July 6-9, 2004, San Diego, California, USA. [Full Paper] Keywords: business process modelling, workflow, semantic web, light-weight logical method.
- Yannis Kalfoglou, Srinandan Dasmahapatra and Yun-Heh (Jessica) Chen-Burger (2004) FCA experiences and opportunities with knowledge technologies. The Second International Conference on Formal Concept Analysis (ICFCA 04), Sydney, February 23-26, 2004. LECTURE NOTES IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, Springer, 2961: 252-260 2004. (LNAI is a sub-series of LNCS.) [Full Paper] Keywords: ontology, logical formal method, knowledge based system.
- Hsiang-Ling Kuo, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson (2003) Knowledge Management using Business Process Modeling and Workflow Techniques 18th International Joint conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), Workshop on Knowledge Management and Organizational Memories , Acapulco, Mexico, August 2003.
- Natasha Queiroz Lino, Austin Tate, Clauirton Siebra, Yun-Heh Chen-Burger. Delivering Intelligent Planning Information to Mobile Devices Users in Collaborative Environments 18th International Joint conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), AI Moves to IA: Workshop on Artificial Intelligence, Information Access, and Mobile Computing , Acapulco, Mexico, August 2003.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Austin Tate, and Dave Robertson. Enterprise Modelling: A Declarative Approach for FBPML, European Conference of Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), Knowledge Management and Organisational Memories Workshop, Lyon France, July 22-26, 2002.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger. Knowledge Sharing and Inconsistency Checking on Multiple Enterprise Models. The 17th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, IJCAI, Knowledge Management and Organizational Memories Workshop and its proceedings at Seattle, Washington, August 4-10, 2001. Also available as Informatics Report Series, University of Edinburgh, Feb 2001.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson, Jussi Stader (2000) A Modelling Support Framework for Enterprise Knowledge Capturing, Sharing and Reusing. INAP2000 book proceedings, ISSN 1345-0980 by the INAP Organizing Committee and the Prolog Association of Japan. The 13th International Conference on Applications of Prolog (INAP 2000), Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, October 20-22, 2000. Workshop on Supporting Organisational Learning: Knowledge Management and Case-based Reasoning (SOL'2000)
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson, Jussi Stader (2000) A Case-Based Reasoning Framework for Enterprise Model Building, Sharing and Reusing. Conference of the European Conference of Artificial Intelligence, Knowledge Management and Organizational Memories Workshop, Berlin, ECAI 2000, August 20-25, 2000. Also appears as an Informatics research report, EDI-INF-RR-0022, in the Informatics Report Series, The University of Edinburgh.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson, Jussi Stader. Knowledge-Based Automatic Verification and Validation for Business Models. Conference proceedings of the DARPA-JFACC Symposium on Advances in Enterprise Control, November 1999, San Diego, USA.
- Yun-Heh Chen-Burger, Dave Robertson, John Fraser and Christine Lissoni. KBST: A Support Tool for Business Modeling in BSDM. The15th annual Conference of the British Computer Society Specialist Group on Expert Systems, ES95, and is published in a book: Applications and Innovations in Expert Systems. It is also available as the DAI Research report No. 736.