Professor of Pathology
St. Louis University School of Medicine
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 314 577-8475
|Institution and Location||DEGREE||Year||Field of Study|
|University of Arkansas||Medical Doctor||08/1984-05/1988|
|Residency in Clinical Pathology||07/1988-06/1991|
|Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania||Resident Chief||04/1990-03/1991|
Dr. Blackall was raised in Arkansas and attended the University of Arkansas College of Medicine. The entirety of his post-graduate medical education was undertaken at the University of Pennsylvania, where he was a resident and chief resident in clinical pathology, a fellow in transfusion medicine, and a post-doctoral research fellow. It was there that he developed an interest in the immunology surrounding blood group antigens and their relationship to human disease. His professional career led him to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, UCLA, and the University of Arkansas College of Medicine where he directed the clinical laboratories and pediatric pathology division at Arkansas Children’s Hospital. In 2010, Dr. Blackall and his wife, a nurse, took a hiatus from the US medical establishment and worked internationally, first in the United Arab Emirates and more recently in Rwanda. Upon returning to the US, he completed his masters of public health (MPH) degree at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He is now a professor of pathology at St. Louis University where he directs the transfusion medicine service at St. Louis University Hospital as well as the pediatric pathology unit at Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital. Finally, in addition to hospital service work, He is a dedicated medical educator and (somehow) enjoys administrative work.
- Blood group antigen and antibody immunology
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia
- Appropriate laboratory test utilization
- Global pathology outreach
Positions and Honors
|1979-1983||Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Eta Sigma, and Gamma Beta Psi Honor Societies, Rhodes College|
|1979-1983||University of Tennessee Alumni Award, Southwestern Scholarship, Francis and Edwina Hickman Prize in Anthropology, Rhodes College|
|1986, 1987 and 1988||Barton Scholarship: University of Arkansas College of Medicine|
|1987||Buchanan Key nominee, University of Arkansas College of Medicine|
|1988||Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, University of Arkansas College of Medicine|
|1988||Honors in Research and Faculty Gold Key, University of Arkansas College of Medicine|
|1991||National Research Service Award, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NIH)|
|1991 and 1992||Young Investigator Award, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists|
|1992||Transfusion Medicine Fellowship Award, American Association of Blood Banks|
|1994||Leonard Berwick Resident Teaching Award, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania|
|1996 and 1998||Pathology Resident Teaching Award, University of Tennessee-Memphis|
|2000 and 2003||Clinical Pathology Resident Teaching Award, UCLA School of Medicine|
|2006-2010||Best Doctors in America, (yearly)|
|2008||Gold Sash Teaching Award, University of Arkansas College of Medicine|
|2010||Red Sash Teaching Award, , University of Arkansas College of Medicine|
|2016||Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health|
- Owens SM, Hardwick WC, Blackall DP. Phencyclidine pharmacokinetic scaling among species. Pharmacol Exp Ther 1987; 242:96-101.
- Blackall DP, Ugorski M, Smith ME, Påhlsson P, Spitalnik SL. The binding of human alloantibodies to recombinant glycophorin A. Transfusion 1992; 32:629-632.
- Ugorski M, Blackall DP, Påhlsson P, Eshleman S, Moore J, Spitalnik SL. Recombinant Miltenberger I and II human blood group antigens: the role of N-linked glycosylation in cell surface expression and antigenicity. Blood 1993; 82:1913-1920.
- Czerwinski ME, Blackall DP, Abrams WR, Rubocki RJ, Spitalnik SL. Restricted VH gene usage by murine hybridomas directed against the human N, but not M, blood group antigens. Mol Immunol 1994; 31:279-288.
- Pahlsson P, Blackall DP, Ugorski M, Czerwinski ME, Spitalnik SL. Biochemical characterization of the O-glycans on recombinant glycophorin A expressed in Chinese hamster ovary cells. Glycoconj J 1994; 11:43-50.
- Blackall DP, Ugorski M, Påhlsson P, Shakin-Eshleman SH, Spitalnik SL. A molecular biological approach to study the fine specificity of antibodies directed to the MN human blood group antigens. J Immunol 1994; 152:2241-2247.
- Donnell ME, DeLuca GM, Blackall DP. Preparation and characterization of fluorescein-labeled plasma membrane vesicles from transfected Chinese hamster ovary cells. J Immunol Methods 1995;187:111-119.
- DeLuca GM, Donnell ME, Carrigan DJ, Blackall DP. Plasmodium falciparum merozoite adhesion is mediated by sialic acid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1996;225:726-732.
- Rozmyslowicz T, Donnell ME, Spitalnik SL, Blackall DP. Recombinant blood group antigens are useful for studying the fine specificity of antibodies against glycophorin A-encoded antigens. Transfus Clin Biol 1997; 1:77-80.
- Donnell ME, Martin AL, Blackall DP. Clinical utility of plasma membrane vesicles expressing recombinant glycophorin A-encoded blood group antigens. Transfusion 1998; 38:658-662.
- Blackall DP, Armstrong JK, Meiselman HJ, Fisher TC. Polyethylene glycol-coated red blood cells fail to bind glycophorin A-specific antibodies and are impervious to invasion by Plasmodium falciparum malaria parasites. Blood 2001; 97:551-556.
- Ockenhouse CF, Barbosa A, Blackall DP, Murphy CI, Kashala O, Dutta S, Lanar DE, Daugherty JR. Sialic acid-dependent binding of Baculovirus-expressed recombinant antigens from Plasmodium falciparum EBA-175 to glycophorin A. Mol Biochem Parasitol 2001;113:9-21.
- Laine E, Steadman R, Calhoun L, Blackall D, et al. Comparison of RBCs and FFP with whole blood during liver transplant surgery. Transfusion 2003; 43:322-327.
- Baum LG, Blackall DP, Arias-Magallanos S, et al. Amelioration of graft versus host disease by galectin-1. Clin Immunol 2003; 109:295-307.
- Wheeler C, Calhoun L, Blackall DP. Warm reactive autoantibodies: clinical and serologic correlations. Am J Clin Pathol 2004;122:680-685.
- Blackall DP. Warm-reactive autoantibodies in pediatric patients: clinical and serologic correlations. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2007; 29:792-796.
- Blackall DP, Pesek GD, Montgomery MM, et al. Hemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn due to anti-Ge3: combined antibody-dependent hemolysis and erythroid precursor cell growth inhibition. Am J Perinatol 2008; 25:541-545.
- Montano RF, Penichet ML, Blackall DP, et al. Recombinant polymeric IgG anti-Rh: a novel strategy for development of direct agglutinating reagents. J Immunol Methods 2009; 340:1-10.
- Veeraputhiran MK, Pesek GA, Blackall DP. Strict versus lenient criteria for elution testing: comparison of yields between two tertiary care medical centers. Am J Clin Pathol 2011; 136:359-363.
- Friedman-Klabanoff D, Ball A, Rutare S, McCall N, Blackall D. Three Rwandan children with massive splenomegaly and Epstein-Barr virus-associated lymphoproliferative disorders: case presentations and literature review. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2016; 38:158-161.
Book Chapters, Monographs, Case Reports, Electronic Media, Non-Peer-Reviewed Articles
- Williams ST, Khare VK, Johnston GA, Blackall DP. Severe intravascular hemolysis associated with brown recluse spider envenomation: a report of two cases and review of the literature. Am J Clin Pathol 1995; 104:463-467.
- Williamson TD, Liles LH, Blackall DP. A maternal warm-reactive autoantibody presenting as a positive direct antiglobulin test in a neonate. Immunohematology 1997; 13:6-8.
- Blackall DP. Principles of red blood cell transfusion. In Spitalnik S, ed. A primer in transfusion medicine. Bethesda, MD: American Association of Blood Banks, 1997:1-10.
- Adams-Graves PE, Blackall DP, Wang WC. Sickle cell anemia: new hope/new treatment. Grace Magazine 1997; 1:16-17 and 57.
- Blackall DP. Plasma derivatives. In Triulzi D, ed. Blood transfusion therapy: a physician’s handbook. Bethesda, MD: American Association of Blood Banks, 1999:37-58.
- Thurer RL, Luban NL, AuBuchon JP, et al. Universal WBC reduction. Transfusion 2000; 40:751-752.
- Blackall DP. Approach to acute bleeding and massive transfusion. In Hillyer CD, Hillyer KL, Strobl FJ, Jeffries LC, Silberstein LE, eds. Handbook of transfusion medicine. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2001:189-196.
- Blackall DP, Liles LH, Talati A. In utero development of a warm-reactive autoantibody in a severely jaundiced neonate. Transfusion 2002; 42:44-47.
- Kwon M, Su L, Arndt P, Garratty G, Blackall DP. Clinical significance of Jra antibodies: report of two cases and review of the literature. Transfusion 2004; 44:197-201.
- Blackall DP. Intravascular hemolysis with brown recluse spider envenomation. Transfusion 2004; 44:1543.
- May-Wewers J, Kaiser JR, Moore EK, Blackall DP. Severe neonatal hemolysis due to a maternal antibody to the low frequency Rh antigen Cw. Am J Perinatol 2006;23:213-217.
- Blackall DP. Introduction: why is a global understanding important? In Lozano M, Contreras M, Blajchman M, eds. Global perspectives in transfusion medicine. Bethesda, MD: AABB Press, 2006:1-4.
- Denomme GA, Shahcheraghi A, Blackall DP, Oza KK, Garratty G. Inhibition of erythroid progenitor cell growth by anti-Ge3. Br J Haematol 2006; 133:443.
- Blackall DP. Blood Bank- Part 2. PathMD Board Review Letter, July 30, 2006: Volume 1, Number 5.
- Blackall DP, Wheeler CA. Contemporaneous autoantibodies and alloantibodies. Transfusion 2007; 47:1332.
- TylerLN, Harville TO, Blackall DP.Severe hemolytic transfusion reaction in a young child treated with Infliximab for systemic onset juvenile chronic arthritis. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:2092-2093.
- Chavez A, Mian A, Scurlock AM, Blackall D, Com G. Antibiotic hypersensitivity in CF: Drug-induced life-threatening hemolytic anemia in a pediatric patient. J Cyst Fibros 2010; 9:433-438.
- Blackall DP. From the laboratory perspective, how do you approach pediatric patients with warm-reactive autoantibodies? AABB News 2010; 12:4-6.
- Blackall DP. The laboratory approach to patients with warm-reactive autoantibodies. Medlab Magazine 2011;1: 20-21.
- Veeraputhiran MK, Pesek GA, Blackall DP. Strict versus lenient criteria for elution testing: comparison of yields between two tertiary care medical centers. Am J Clin Pathol 2011; 136:477?
- Cetin N, Blackall D. Naegleria fowleri meningoencephalitis. Blood 2012; 119:3658.
- Blackall DP. How do I approach patients with warm-reactive autoantibodies? In Shaz B, ed. How do I…? (Ten years of practical advice). Bethesda, MD: AABB Press, 2015:305-308.