Associate Professor and Director
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
University of Minnesota Medical School
George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
Louisiana State University Medical School, New Orleans, LA
Claudia S. Cohn is the medical director of the blood bank laboratory and associate medical director of the HLA laboratory at University of Minnesota. She earned her PhD in Immunology and Infectious Diseases from the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins, working on the molecular biology and biochemistry of the protozoal; parasite Leishmania donovani. She went on to earn her medical degree from Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans, LA. After medical school she finished a residency program in Pathology at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill-Cornell College of Medicine and a fellowship in Transfusion Medicine at University of California, San Francisco. In her current role at University of Minnesota she practices Clinical Pathology, oversees the blood bank, and teaches medical students. Dr. Cohn’s research interests include platelet transfusions, alteranative platelet storage solutions, HLA antibodies and their role in solid organ transplants and platelet refractoriness.
- Patient Blood Management
- Platelet Storage and Utilization.
|2015- present||Associate Professor||Department of Laboratory Medicine||University of Minnesota Medical School, Twin Cities campus|
|2010- 2015||Assistant Professor||Department of Laboratory Medicine||University of Minnesota Medical School, Twin Cities campus|
|1997-1999||Assistant Professor||Department of Medicine||Tulane University, New Orleans, LA|
|2014-present||Medical Director||Boynton Laboratory||2014-present|
|2014-present||Associate Medical Director||Immunology and Histocompatibility Lab||2014-present|
|2012-present||Medical Director||Clinical and Translational Science Institute Lab||2012-present|
|2010-present||Medical Director||Blood Bank Laboratory||2010-present|
- Dzik WS, Ziman A, Cohn CS, Pai M, Lozano M, Kaufman R, Delaney M, Selleng K, Murphy M, Hervig T, Yazer M for the BEST Collaborative. Survival following ultra-massive transfusion: a review of 1360 cases. Accepted in Transfusion, September 2015.
- Cohn CS, Lockhart E. Autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma: Evidence for Clinical Use. Current Opinions in Hematology. 2015;22(6):527-32.
- Yulia Lin, Alan Tinmouth, Ranjeeta Mallick, Richard L. Haspel, for the BEST-TEST InvestigatorsBEST-TEST2: Assessment of Hematology Trainee Knowledge of Transfusion Medicine. Transfusion. 2015;55(6):1355-61.
- Ustun, Celalettin, Laura E. Lunde, Sandhya Dasaraju, Qing Cao, Claudia S. Cohn, Mark Reding, Nelli Bejanyan, Erica Warlick, Jo Anne H. Young, Daniel J. Weisdorf. Hemorrhagic cystitis after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation: risk factors, graft source and survival. Bone Marrow Transplantation. 2015;50(11):1432-7.
- Cohn CS, Lockhart E, McCullough JM. The Use of Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma in the Orthopedic Setting. Transfusion. 2015;55(7):1812-20.
- Kaufman RM, Djulbegovic B, Gernsheimer T, Kleinman S, Tinmouth AT, Capocelli KE, Cipolle MD, Cohn CS, Fung MK, Grossman BJ, Mintz PD, O'Malley BA, Sesok-Pizzini DA, Shander A, Stack GE, Webert KE, Weinstein R, Welch BG, Whitman GJ, Wong EC, Tobian AA; AABB.. Platelet Transfusion: A Clinical Practice Guideline from the AABB. Ann Int Med.2014;162(3):205-13.
- Morgan S, Rioux-Masse B, Oancea C, Cohn CS, Harmon J, KoniaM. Simulation-Based Education for Transfusion Medicine. Transfusion.2015;55(4):919-25.
- Cohn CS. Transfusion Support Issues in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Patients. Cancer Control. Vol. 22, No.1 January 2015
- Rioux-Masse B, Cohn CS, Lindgren B, Pulkrabek S, McCullough J. Utilization of Crossmatched or HLA Matched Platelets for Patients Refractory to Platelet Transfusion. Transfusion.2014;54(12):3080-7.
- Cohn CS, Stubbs J, Schwartz J, Francis R, Cushing M, Goss C, Shaz B, Mair D, Brantigan B, Heaton WA. A Comparison of Adverse Reaction Rates for Platelets Stored in Platelet Additive Solution 3 Versus Plasma Platelet Units. Transfusion.2014;54(8):1927-34.
- Cohn CS/Bloch, E*, Hirschler N and Nyguen KA. An Automated Transfusion Practice Survey. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014;142(4):498-505. *co-first authors.
- Cohn CS, Welbig J, Bowman R, Kammann S, Frey K, Zantek N. A Data Driven Approach to Patient Blood Management. Transfusion. 2014;54(2):316-2322.
- Surowiecka M, Zantek N, Dangerfield R, Morgan S, Cohn CS. Anti-A and Anti-B Titers in Group O Platelet Units are Reduced in PAS 3 Versus Conventional Plasma Units. Transfusion. 2014;54(1):255-256.
- Rioux-Masse B, Laroche V, Bowman R, Lindgren B, Cohn CS, McCullough J. The Influence of Bleeding on Trigger Changes for Platelet Transfusion in Chemotherapy-Induced Thrombocytopenic Patients. Transfusion. 2013; 53(2):306-314.
- Bollag RJ, Sterett M, Reding MT, Key NS, Ustun C, Cohn CS. Response of Complex Immune-mediated Thrombocytopenia to Romiplostim in the Setting of Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. Eur J Haem. 2012; 89(4):361-364.
- Zantek ND, Koepsell SA, Tharp DR. and Cohn CS. The Direct Antiglobulin Test (DAT): A Critical Step in the Evaluation of Hemolysis. Am J of Hematol.2012; 87(7):707-709.
- Cohn CS, Cushing M. Oxygen Therapeutics: PFCs and Blood Substitute Safety. Critical Care Clinics. 2010; 25(2):399-414.
- Plotkin SR., Banks WA. Cohn CS, Kastin AJ. Alcohol withdrawal in withdrawal seizure-prone mice: Evidence for enkephalin resistance. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 2001; 68:379-387.
- Cohn CS, Sullivan JS, Fuqua S, Hill SM. Identification of an enhancer element in the Estrogen Receptor upstream region: Implications for regulation of Estrogen Receptor transcription in Breast Cancer. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology. 1999; 158(1-2):25-36.
- Eck KM, Yuan L., Cohn CS, Ram PT, Chen I, Ayettey S., Spriggs LL., Duffy L., Hill SM. 1998. A sequential treatment regimen with melatonin and all-trans retinoic acid induces apoptosis in MCF-7 tumor cells. British Journal of Cancer. 1998; 77(12):2129-2137.
- Sullivan JA, Cohn CS, Hill SM. Identification of sequence alterations in the upstream regulatory region of the estrogen receptor gene in an ER-negative breast cancer cell line. Cancer Letters. 1997; 113:131-139.
- Cohn CS, Gottlieb M. The acquisition of purines in trypanosomatids. Parasitology Today. 1997;13(6):231-235.
- Alleman MM, Cohn CS, Gottlieb M. Identification and characterization of variants of Crithidia luciliae with altered morphology and surface properties. Journal of Protozoology.1990; 37: 456-464.
- 1/ Cohn CS, Massive Transfusion Protocols: Should Every Blood Bank Have One? LabQ: Clinical Laboratory. 2010;5.American Society of Clinical Pathology.
- Guidelines for Transfusion Therapy, 9th edition. Edited by CS Cohn, KA Harder, B Rioux-Masse, C Senn, J Welbig, ND Zantek. June 2012. Fairview.
- Koepsell S, Le M, Lassig AA, Lindgren B, Cohn CS, Khariwala SS. Transfusion of Aged Blood in Head and Neck Free Flap Surgery: Perioperative Outcomes Analysis. Otol & Rhinol 3:1. doi:10.4172/2324-8785.1000102
- Cohn CS, Bussel JB Romiplostim™ (AMG 531); A Second-Generation Thrombopoietin Agonist. Drugs of Today. 2009; 45(3):175-88.