Division of Dermatopathology
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
|COLLEGE EDUCATION||1974 – 1977||Texas Tech University
Majors: Zoology, Microbiology, Chemistry
|GRADUATE EDUCATION||1977 - 1981||Baylor College of Medicine
Degree - M.D. with honors
|POSTGRADUATE EDUCATION||1981-1982||Internship, Internal Medicine
University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals, Seattle, Washington
New York University Medical Center, New York, New York
|1984-1985||Chief Resident, Dermatology
New York University Medical Center, New York, New York
New York University Medical Center, New York, New York
Clay J. Cockerell, MD is Clinical Professor of Dermatology and Pathology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and Director of the Division of Dermatopathology. He is the President and Owner of Cockerell Dermatopathology and the past Medical Director of Cockerell and Associates Dermatopathology as well as a diplomat of the American Academy of Dermatology and American Board of Dermatopathology.Dr. Cockerell is internationally recognized for his contributions to both dermatology and dermatopathology. He is the past president of the American Academy of Dermatology. For many years, Dr. Cockerell has overseen an educational program designed to train the next generation of dermatopathologists. He has served as Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology and is on the editorial boards of a number of medical journals including the American Journal of Dermatopathology.
Dermatology, Dermatopathology, Atopic Dermatitis, Eczema, connective Tissue Diseases, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome, Infectious Skin Diseases, Kaposi Sarcoma, Melanoma, Precancerous Conditions, Radiation-Induced Cancer, Psoriasis, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Skin Cancer, Skin care, Cosmetics.
|2006||Past President, American Academy of Dermatology|
|2005||President, American Academy of Dermatology|
|2004||President-Elect, American Academy of Dermatology|
|2001-2004||Secretary/Treasurer, American Academy of Dermatology|
|1998-2001||Assistant Secretary/Treasurer, American Academy of Dermatology|
Medical Director, Division of Dermpath Diagnostics, Board of Directors
- American Academy of Dermatology, Fellow
- American Academy of HIV Medicine
- American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians
- American College of Physician Executives
- American Contact Dermatitis Society
- American Dermatological Association
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- American Society of Dermatology
- American Society of Dermatopathology
- California Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery
- College of American Pathologists
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Dallas Dermatological Society
- Dermatology Foundation
- International Academy of Pathology
- International AIDS Society
- International Society of Dermatology
- Leaders Society Dermatology Foundation
- Louisiana Dermatologic Society
- Masters Dermatologic Association
- Noah Worcester Dermatological Society
- North American Clinical Dermatologic Society
- Pacific Dermatological Association
- Physicians Association for AIDS Care
- Richard L. Sutton Dermatological Society
- Sir James Saunders Society
- Society for Investigative Dermatology
- South Central Dermatology Society
- Southern Medical Association
- Southwestern Dermatology Association
- Texas Dermatological Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Society of Pathologists
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Women’s Dermatologic Society
- Cunningham GR, Lobel TJ, Cockerell CJ, et al. Characterization of steroid binding specificity of the androgen receptor in human foreskin fibroblasts. Steroid 1983; 41:617-623.
- Redman JC, Cockerell CJ. Preventing deaths from malignant melanomas. Am J Dermatopathol 1984 Summer; 6 Suppl: 277-82.
- Cockerell CJ, Berson DS. A retrospective look at dysplastic nevi. What were they in 1978 and how have they fared since? Am J Dermatopathol 1985; 7 Suppl: 191-7.
- Ackerman AB, Cockerell CJ. Macules. Cutis 1985 Apr; 35(4): 325-6.
- Soeprono FF, Schinella RA, Cockerell CJ, Comite SL. Seborrheic-like dermatitis of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol 1986 Feb; 14(2 Pt 1):242-8.
- Ackerman AB, Cockerell CJ. Cutaneous lesions: correlations from microscopic to gross morphologic features. Cutis 1986 Feb; 37(2): 137-8.
- Ackerman AB, Cockerell CJ. Papules. Cutis 1986 Apr; 37(4):242-5.
- Ackerman AB, Cockerell CJ. Plaques. Cutis 1986 May; 37(5):321-3.
- Oratz R, Cockerell CJ, Speyer JL, Bystryn JC, et al. Induction of lymphocytic cell infiltrate in human melanoma nodules by active immunization of melanoma antigen vaccine. Proc Am Assoc Canc Res 1987; 28:374.
- Cockerell CJ, Whitlow MA, Webster GF, Friedman-Kien AE. Epithelioid angiomatosis: a distinct vascular disorder in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome or AIDS-related complex. Lancet 1987 Sep 19; 2(8560):654-6.
- Cockerell CJ, Friedman-Kien AE. Epithelioid angiomatosis and cat scratch disease bacillus. Lancet 1988 Jun 11; 1(8598):1334-5.
- Oratz R, Cockerell CJ, Speyer JL, Bystryn JC, et al. Induction of tumor infiltrating lymphocytes in malignant melanoma metastases by immunization of melanoma antigen vaccine. J Biological Response Modifiers 1989; 8:355-8.
- Chow WC, Cockerell CJ, Geronemus RG. Microcystic adnexal carcinoma of the scalp. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1989 Jul; 15(7):768-71.
- Rivers JK, Cockerell CJ, McBride A, Kopf AW. Quantification of histologic features of dysplastic nevi. Am J Dermatopathol 1990 Feb; 12(1):42-50.
- Cockerell CJ, LeBoit PE. Bacillary angiomatosis: a novel pseudoneoplastic, infectious vascular disorder. J Am Acad Dermatol 1990; 22:501-19.
- Cockerell CJ, Stetler, LD. Accuracy in diagnosis of lymphomatoid papulosis. Am J Dermatopathol 1991; 13:20-25.
- Cockerell CJ. Human immunodeficiency virus infection and the skin. Arch Intern Med 1991 Jul; 151(7): 1295-303.
- Cockerell CJ, Tierno PM, Friedman-Kien AE, Kim KC. Clinical, histologic, microbiologic and biochemical characterization of the causative agent of bacillary (epithelioid) angiomatosis: a rickettsial illness with features of bartonellosis. J Invest Dermatol 1991 Nov; 97(5):812-7.
- Witheiler DD, Cockerell CJ. Histologic features of and sensitivity of diagnosis of clinically unsuspected melanoma. Am J Dermatopathol 1991 Dec; 13(6):551-6.
- McBride A, Rivers JK, Kopf AW, Cockerell CJ, Bart RS, Grin CM, et al. Clinical features of dysplastic nevi. Dermatol Clin 1991 Oct; 9(4):717-22.
- Rowley MJ, Cockerell CJ. Reliability of prognostic models in malignant melanoma. A 10- year follow-up study. Am J Dermatopathol 1991 Oct; 13(5):431-7.
- Cockerell CJ. Bacterial infections in HIV infected patients. PAAC Notes 1991; 5:21-4.
- Cockerell CJ, Dolan ET. Widespread cutaneous and systemic calcification (calciphylaxis) in patients with AIDS and renal disease. J Am Acad Dermatol 1992 Apr; 26(4):559-62.
- Glover RA, Piaquadio DJ, Kern S, Cockerell CJ. An unusual presentation of secondary syphilis in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus infection. A case report and review of the literature. Arch Derm 1992 Apr; 128(4):530-4.
- Witheiler DD, Cockerell CJ. Sensitivity of diagnosis of malignant melanoma: a clinicopathologic study with a critical assessment of biopsy techniques. Exp Dermatol 1992 Nov; 1(4):170-5.
- Anderson L, Cockerell CJ. Cutaneous pseudolymphoma mimicking benign skin neoplasms. Eur J Dermatol 1992; 3:100-104.
- Marsili M, Cockerell CJ, Lyde CB. Hemangioma-associated rhinophyma. Report of a case with successful treatment using carbon dioxide laser surgery. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1993 Mar; 19(3):206-12.
- Tappero JW, Koehler JE, Berger TG, Cockerell CJ, et al. Bacillary angiomatosis and bacillary splenitis in immunocompetent adults. Ann Intern Med 1993 Mar 1; 118(5):363-5.
- Brancaccio RR, Cockerell CJ, Belsito D, Ostreicher R. Allergic contact dermatitis from color film developers: clinical and histologic features. J Am Acad Dermatol 1993 May; 28(5 Pt 2):827-30.
- LeBoit PE, Cockerell CJ. Nodular lesions of erythema elevatum diutinum in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. J Am Acad Dermatol 1993 Jun; 28(6):919-22.
- Worrell JT, Ansari MQ, Ansari SJ, Cockerell CJ. Atypical fibroxanthoma: DNA ploidy analysis of 14 cases with possible histogenetic implications. J Cutan Pathol 1993 Jun; 20(3):211-5.
- Cockerell CJ, Lewis JE. Persistent indurated plaques of the face: a variant of Jessner's lymphocytic infiltrate? Cutis 1994 Jan; 53(1):49-52.
- Cockerell CJ, Sonnier G, Kelly L, Patel S. Comparative analysis of neovascularization in primary cutaneous melanoma and Spitz nevus. Am J Dermatopathol 1994 Feb; 16(1):9-13.
- Cockerell CJ. Dealing with managed care organizations regarding dermatopathology work. FrontLine (published by American Society of Dermatology) 1994; 2(3):3.
- Lawrence N, Cox SE, Cockerell CJ, Freeman RG, Cruz PD Jr. A comparison of the efficacy and safety of Jessner’s solution and 35% trichloracetic acid vs 5% fluorouracil in the treatment of widespread facial actinic keratoses. Arch Dermatol 1995 Feb; 131(2):176-81.
- Pandya AG, Sontheimer RD, Cockerell CJ, Takashima A, Piepkorn M. Papulonodular mucinosis associated with systemic lupus erythematosus: possible mechanisms of increased glycosamminoglycan accumulation. J Am Acad Dermatol 1995 Feb; 32(2 Pt 1):199-205.
- Ciernik IF, Krayenbuhl Ciernik BH, Cockerell CJ, Minna JD, Gazdar AF, Carbone DP. Expression of TGF-beta and TBF-beta receptors on AIDS-associated Kaposi’s Sarcoma. Clin Cancer Res 1995; 1119- 24.
- Karlsberg PL, Lee WM, Casey DL, Cockerell CJ, Cruz PD Jr. Cutaneous vasculitis and rheumatoid factor positivity as presenting signs of hepatitis C virus-induced mixed cryoglobulinemia. Arch Dermatol 1995 Oct; 131(10):1119-23.
- Cockerell CJ. Noninfectious skin disorders. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care 1995 Dec; 1(11):20-31.
- Howell JB, Cockerell CJ. Melanoma self-examination day: Melanoma Monday, May 1, 1995. J Am Acad Dermatol 1996 May, 34(5 Pt1): 837-8.
- Li JJ, Huang YQ, Cockerell CJ, Friedman-Kien AE. Localization of human herpes-like virus type 8 in vascular endothelial cells and perivascular spindle-shaped cells of Kaposi’s sarcoma lesions by in situ hybridization. Am J Pathol 1996 Jun; 148(6):1741-8.
- Miller DR, Geller AC, Wyatt SW, Halpern A, Howell JB, Cockerell CJ, et al. Melanoma awareness and self-examination practices: results of a United States survey. J Am Acad Dermatol 1996; 34:962-70.
- Maurer T, Crawford R, McCalmont T, Smith K, Skelton H, Cockerell CJ, Berger T. HIV-associated eosinophilic folliculitis -- an assessment of diagnostic validity and reproducibility. 1996.
- Worrell JT, Cockerell CJ. Histopathology of peripheral nerves in cutaneous herpesvirus infection. Am J Dermatopathol 1997 Apr; 19(2):133-7.
- Dinehart SM, Nelson-Adesokan P, Cockerell CJ, Russell S, Brown R. Metastatic cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma derived from actinic keratosis. Cancer 1997; 79:920-3.
- Shoji T, Cockerell CJ, Koff AB, Bhawan J. Eruptive melanocytic nevi after Stevens-Johnson syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol 1997 Aug; 37(2 Pt 2):337-9.
- Mejia R, Dano JA, Roberts R, Wiley E, Cockerell CJ, Cruz PD Jr. Langerhans’ cell histiocytosis in adults. J Am Acad Dermatol 1997 Aug ;(2 Pt 2):314-7.
- Huang Q, Li A, Cockerell CJ, Friedman-Kien AE. Kaposi’s sarcoma-like vascular proliferation induced by transplantation in trangenic mice. Am J Dermatopathol 1997; 19:373-8.
- Castano-Molina C, Cockerell CJ. Diagnosis and treatment of infectious disease in HIV-infected hosts. Dermatol Clin 1997 Apr; 15(2): 267-83.
- Li J, Huang Y, Cockerell CJ. Expression and mutation of the tumor suppressor gene p53 in AIDS associated Kaposi’s sarcoma. Am J Dermpath 1997; 19:373-8.
- Witheiler DD, Lawrence N, Cox SE, Cruz C, Cockerell CJ, Freeman RG. Long-term efficacy and safety of Jessner’s solution and 35% trichloroacetic acid vs fluorouracil in the treatment of widespread facial actinic keratosis. Dermatol Surg 1997 Mar; 23(3): 191-6.
- Li JJ, Huang YQ, Cockerell CJ, Zhang WG, Nicolaides A, Friedman-Kein AE. Expression and mutation of the tumor suppressor gene p53 in AIDS-associated Kaposi’s sarcoma. Am J Dermatopathol 1997 Aug; 19(4); 373-8.
- Zabawski EJ Jr, Sands B, Goetz D, Naylor M, Cockerell CJ. Treatment of verruca vulgaris with topical cidofovir. JAMA 1997 Oct 15; 278(15):1236.
- Kaneishi NK, Cockerell CJ. Histologic differentiation of desmoplastic melanoma from cicatrices. Am J Dermatopathol 1998 Apr 20 ;( 2): 128-34.
- McCollough M, Cockerell CJ. Vesiculo-bullous dermatomyositis. Am J Dermatopathol 1998; 20(2):170- 4.
- Zabawski EJ Jr, Cockerell CJ. Topical and intralesional cidofovir: a review of pharmacology and therapeutic effects. J Am Acad Dermatol 1998 Nov; 39(5 Pt 1): 741-5.
- Ware AJ, Cockerell CJ, Skiest DJ, Kussman HM. Disseminated sporotrichosis with extensive cutaneous involvement in a patient with AIDS. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999 Feb; 40(2 Pt 2): 350-5.
- Zabawski EJ, Costner M, Franklin G, Witheiler DD, Eichorn PJ, Cockerell CJ. A potpourri of parasitic infestations. Cutis 1999 Feb; 63(2):81-5.
- McBroom RL, Styles AR, Chiu MJ, Clegg C, Cockerell CJ, Radolf JD. Secondary syphilis in persons infected with and not infected with HIV-1: a comparative immunohistologic study. Am J Dermatopathol 1999 Oct; 21(5):432-41.
- McBroom RL, Styles A, Chiu M, Clegg C, Cockerell CJ, Radolf J. Secondary syphilis in persons infected with and not infected with HIV-1. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999; 21(5):432-441.
- Wharton JR, Laughlin C., Cockerell CJ. Toxic epidermal necrolysis occurring as a consequence of treatment with foscarnet. Cutis 1999 Jun; 63(6):333-5.
- Rodman S, Cockerell CJ. Epitomes.
- Zabawski EJ Jr, Cockerell CJ. Topical cidofovir for molluscum contagiosum in children. Pediatr Dermatol 1999 Sep-Oct; 16(5):414-5.
- Cockerell CJ. Histopathology of incipient intraepidermal squamous cell carcinoma (actinic solar keratosis). J Am Acad Dermatol 2000; 42:11-17.
- Malafa MP, McKesey P, Stone S, Dudley-Walker S, Cockerell CJ. Sentinel node biopsy for staging of aggressive digital papillary adenocarcinoma. Dermatol Surg 2000; 26:580-3.
- Conrad N, Haque R, Cockerell CJ. Delivery of dermatopathologic health care in the twenty-first century. Dermatol Clin 2000; 18(2):241-9.
- Kelley SW, Cockerell CJ. Sentinel lymph node biopsy as an adjunct to management of histologically difficult to diagnose melanocytic lesions: a proposal. J Am Acad Dermatol 2000 Mar; 42(3):527-30.
- Zabawski EJ, Costner M, Cohen JB, Cockerell CJ. Tacrolimus: pharmacology and therapeutic uses in dermatology. Int J Dermatol 2000 Oct; 39(10):721-7.
- Zabawski EJ, Styles AR, Cockerell CJ. Routine periodic acid-Schiff staining of nail plate fragments in fungal cultures for onychomycosis: a method to increase sensitivity of diagnosis. Cutis 2000 Dec;66(6):456-8.
- Abeyama K, Eng W, Jester JV, Edelbaum D, Cockerell CJ, Bergstresser PR, Takashima A. A role for NF- kappaB-dependent gene transactivation in sunburn. J Clin Invest 2000 Jun; 105(12):1751-9.
- Vander Straten M, Lee P, Weitzul S, Cockerell CJ, Tyring SK. Advances in the treatment of basal cell carcinoma: the promise of pharacologic therapy. Adv Dermatol 2000; 16:299-318; discussion 319.
- Zabawski EJ Jr, Washak RV, Cohen JB, Cockerell CJ, Brown SM. Squamous cell carcinoma of the nail bed: is finger predominance another clue to etiology? A report of 5 cases. Cutis 2001 Jan; 67(1):59-64.
- Stone ML, Styles AR, Cockerell CJ, Pandya AG. Hypopigmented mycosis fungoides: a report of 7 cases and review of the literature. Cutis 2001; 67(2):133-137.
- Frazier CC, Camacho A, Cockerell CJ. The treatment of eruptive syringomas in an African American patient with a combination of trichloroacetic acid and CO2 laser destruction. Dermatol Surg 2001; 27(5):489-92.
- Stone ML, Styles AR, Cockerell CJ, Pandya AG. Hypopigmented mycosis fungoides: a report of 7 cases and review of the literature. Cutis 2001 Feb; 67(2):133-8.
- Warren SJ, Cockerell CJ. Characterization of a subgroup of patients with dermatitis herpetiformis with nonclassical histologic features. Am J Dermatopathol 2002 Aug; 24(4):305-8.
- Bandel C, DePrisco G, Cockerell CJ, Ehrig T. Abundance of interstitial heparan sulfate in granuloma annulare but not in other mucinous skin diseases. J Cutan Pathol 2002 Oct; 29(9):524-8.
- Bozzo P, Saboda K, Einspahr JG, Ranger-Moore J, Farmer ER, Cockerell CJ, et al. Reliability and validity of a histologic score as a marker for skin cancer chemoprevention studies. Analytical and Quantitive Cytology and Histology 2003 Oct; 25(5):285-292.
- Sinkre PA, Sangueza OP, Cockerell CJ. Simulators of cutaneous vascular proliferation. Adv Dermatol 2003; 19:249-273.
- DePrisco G, Bandel C, Cockerell CJ, Ehrig T. Interstitial heparan sulfate in inflammatory granulomatous skin diseases. J Am Acad Dermatol 2004 Feb; 50(2):253-257.
- Cockerell CJ, Eng W. Histological features of Kaposi’s sarcoma in a patient receiving highly active anti- viral therapy. Am J Dermatopathol 2004 April; 26(2): 127-132.
- High Whitney A, Stewart David, Essary Lydia R, Kageyama Nicole P, Hoang Mai P, Cockerell Clay J. Sclerotic fibroma-like change in various neoplastic and inflammatory skin lesions: is sclerotic fibroma a distinct entity? J Cutan Pathol 2004 May; 31:373-378.
- Curry ML, Eng W, Lund K, Paek D, Cockerell CJ. Muir-Torre Syndrome: Role of the Dermatopathologist in diagnosis. Am J Dermatopathol 2004 June; 26(3): 217-221.
- Kovarik CL, Hsu M-Y, Cockerell CJ. Neurofibromatous changes in dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: A potential pitfall in the diagnosis of a serious cutaneous soft tissue neoplasm. Jour Cutan Pathol; 2004 Aug; 31(7): 492-496.
- Kurtis B, Guillen DR, Cockerell CJ. Primary cutaneous B-cell lymphoma in a 74-year-old Caucasian male. Jour of Drugs in Dermatology 2004; 3(1):88-91.
- Tsai S, Kageyama N, Warthan M, Cockerell CJ. Acrokeratoelastoidosis. Int J Dermatol 2005; 44(5):406- 407.
- Bansal C, Stewart D, Li A, Cockerell CJ. Histologic variants of fibrous papule. Jour Cutan Pathol 2005; 32:424-428.
- Wharton JR, Cockerell CJ. New histopathological classification of actinic keratosis (incipient intraepidermal squamous cell carcinoma). Journ of Drugs in Dermatology 2005; 4(4):462-467.
- Abramovits W, Cockerell C, Stevenson LC, Goldtsein AM, Ehrig T, Menter A. PsEma—A hitherto unnamed dermatologic entity with clinical features of both psoriasis and eczema. Skin Med: Dermatology for the Clinician 2005; 4(5):275-81.
- Kovarik C, Stewart D, Cockerell C. Gross and histologic postmortem changes of the skin. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2005 Dec. 26; (4):305-8.
- May SA, Quirey R, Cockerell CJ. Follicular hybrid cysts with infundibular, isthmic-catagen, and pilomatrical differentiation: a report of 2 patients. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology April 2006; 10(2):110- 113.
- Su W, Hall BJ, Cockerell CJ. Photodermatitis with minimal inflammatory infiltrate. Clinical inflammatory conditions with discordant histologic findings.
- Asgari Maryam M, Cockerell CJ, Weitzul S. The head-tilt maneuver: a clinical aid in recognizing head and neck angiosarcomas. Arch Dermatol January 2007; 143:75-77.
- Lian Fangru, Cockerell Clay J. Cutaneous Appendage Tumors: Familial Cylindromatosis and Associated Tumors Update. Adv Dermatol 2005; 21:217-234.
- Werlinger Kelly D., Cockerell Clay J. Vulvar Disease Update. Adv Dermatol 2006; 22:91-100.
- Cockerell Clay J. Dermatopathology Secrest Revealed: Insider Tips for the Clinician Practical Dermatology October 2007; Vol. 4 No. 10 32-36
- Cockerell Clay J. Special problems in the Diagnosis and Management of Melanocytic Neoplasms. Pathology Case Reviews Nov./Dec. 2007; Vol. 12 No. 6 223-224
- Swygert K., Parrish C., Cashman R., Lin R., Cockerell CJ. Melanoma In Situ Involving an Epidermal Inclusion (Infundibular) Cyst The American journal of Dermatopathology Dec. 2007; Vol. 29 No. 6 564- 565
- Wright N., Davis L., Aftergut K., Parrish C., Cockerell CJ. Cutaneous leishmaniasis in Texas: A northern spread of endemic areas Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology April 2008; Vol. 58 No. 4 650- 652.
- Melanoma and Pigmented Lesions, Clay J. Cockerell, Dermatology Clinics Volume 30, Number 3 July 2012
- Pathobiology of actinics keratosis: Ultraviolet-dependent deratinocyte proliferation, Brian Berman, MD, PhD
- Mitotic Rate in Cutaneous Melanomas 1 mm in Thickness: A Prospective Study, Brandon R. Litzner, MD, Chukwuemeka N. Etufugh, MD, Shelly Stepenaskie, MD, Linda S. Hynan, PhD and Clay J. Cockerell, MD, The American Journal of Dermatopathology, Volume 34, Number 8, December 2012.
- Goldberg M., Wetherington S., Susa J., Wickless S., Cockerell CJ. Characterization of Tissue and Slide Artifacts From Automated Embedding Systems. The American Journal of Dermatopathology. November 2015 37(11): 846-849.