Graduate Program Director in Medical Laboratory Science
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Ph.D. (2002) Biomedical Health Sciences
Sanford School of Medicine
Vermillion, South Dakota 57069
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
Dissertation: “Characterization of Determinants Essential for Replication and Maintenance of the Enterococcus faecalis plasmid pAD1.”
Medical Technology Certification (1993)
American Society of Clinical Pathologists
Sioux Valley Hospital Medical Technology Program
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Bachelor of Science: Biology (1992)
University of Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Purple Feather Award
“Honors Scholar cum Laude”
Alpha Chi National Collegiate Honor Society
Dr. Tille has been a medical laboratory scientist since 1993. During that time she has worked as a microbiologist and molecular diagnostic specialist in the clinical setting; has received numerous grants from prestigious funding agencies such as the National Institute of Health, and has been features in educational documentaries developed by the Institute in Higher education for improving access to students with diverse backgrounds. As the program director/administrator for the SDSU MLS program, she has worked and continues to work with a variety of local, regional and international students and faculty to improve and expand laboratory science education in the region. She is recognized in her field as a prominent individual not only for her professional achievement in microbiology (ASCLS 2005) and molecular diagnostics (ASCLS 2011), but as a top finalist in Cardinal Health's 2015 UR essential program and as one of the "20 Professors of Clinical Laboratory Science You should Know-2015", Medical Technology Schools.com. In addition, she is the well-known author of Bailey and Scott's Diagnostic Microbiology textbook, considered the "gold standard" in text books for not only education, but as a bench side laboratory resource.
Clinical efficacy of microbiological testing and molecular diagnostics related to nosocomial pathogens.
- Minnesota Laboratory Workforce Summit; St. Cloud MN, September 2015.
- ACE Symposium, Women in Leadership Roles in Higher Education; NDSU, September 2015.
- SDSU Academic Leadership Program Workshop Series; 2015-2016; August, January and May.
- NAACLS Accreditation Workshop- Chicago Illinois or CLEC; 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Curricula for the 21st Century, Education Workshop for Medical Laboratory Science including on-line, hybrid, technology based and changing curriculum requirements. Participant. St. Petersburg, Florida, January 2013.
- Roche Diagnostics; Light Cycler and Magna Pure Instrumentation Training; March 27 -29, 2006; Indianapolis Indiana.
- American Society of Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS) Consumer Web Page Response Team, Immunology 2005-2006.Special topics only 2006 – present.
- ASCLS National Meeting Attendance 2006 – present; annual continuing education; invited or peer reviewed presentations.
- ADVANCE: The Nations Medical Laboratory Biweekly magazine for Medical Laboratory Professionals-article reviewer. 2005- 2006
- Building a Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory-Washington Report G-2 Conference, Miami Florida, January 2006.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute Document Reviewer (Former NCCLS)
- ASCLS Region V Director/National Board of Directors – 2015-2018
- SDSU Academic Affairs Committee – 2015-2018
- Hardy Lecture Committee, South Dakota State University 2014-present.
- Health Science Taskforce, South Dakota State University 2013-2015
- American and South Dakota Societies of Clinical Laboratory Science – Full Member (See New apt Previously Listed)
- ASCLS Gloria Gilbert Memorial Award, 2015
- ASCLS National Omicron Sigma Award, 2015
- Clinical Laboratory Science Journal Distinguished Author, 2014
- ASCLS National Bylaws Committee Chair, 2014-2015.
- ASCLS Region V Program Committee, 2015
- ASCLS Region V Meeting Chair, 2014.
- ASCLS-SD President, 2014.
- Region V Omicron Sigma Award Recipient, 2014.
- SD Health Careers Network Advisory Board- 2009 – 2012.
- Lake Area Technical Institute Laboratory Science Advisory Board-2009- 2010
- South Dakota Academy of Science – Treasurer, 2008-2010
- National Council on Undergraduate Research; elected biology councilor - January 2008-2010.
- Premiere Health System; Molecular Diagnostics Technology Review Committee; Charlotte North Carolina, May 2007. Subject matter expert; appointment for instrument technology review.
- Regional Committee on Medical Technology Education – Consortium of three hospital Based Accredited CLS programs- 2000 to 2009.
- Sanford University Medical Center Medical Technology Program Advisory Board -2004 to 2009
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists Associate Member 1993 to present (National Student Scholarship Recipient – 1993)
- MFRC (Midwest Forensic Resource Center, Iowa State University-crime laboratory consortium covering a 10 state region) - Educational Partnership; MFRC Advisory Board Forensic Outreach Casework - 2003 to present. MFRC Research Advisory Board (crime laboratory/educational partner proposals) –2004 - present, Co-Chair -Educational Partners, May 2004: Chair-Educational Partners-July 2005.
- Yankton County/Regional Committee on Bioterrorism – Local Emergency Planning Commission (LEPC) – Appointment, 2002-2004
- FOCUS Series on Health Care Associated Infections: Tille PM, Rohde R, Feikner, M, Mitchell A et.al. Publication in progress. Winter 2015, Clinical Laboratory Science Journal
- Microbiology: Chapter 16: An Introduction to Clinical Laboratory Science. Tille, PM contributing author. Turgeon, Louise Author/Editor, Published 2015. Elsevier.
- Bailey and Scott’s Diagnostic Microbiology; Author/Editor for 13th Edition, Elsevier. Published June 2013; Copyright 2014. (New Edition in Progress, submission projected 2016)
- Alcohol Induced Diabetic Ketoacidosis Exacerbated by an Acute Respiratory Infection with Klebsiella pneumonia. Distal C, Jacobson S and Tille PM. Clinical Laboratory Science. Spring 2013 26:2:68-71.
- The Genetics of Carbapenemase Resistant Enterobacteriaceae. Tille, PM. Volusion, ASCLS-SD Newsletter, Spring 2013. Invited Editorial, Molecular Scientific Assembly State Chair.
- MLS Student Active Learning within a “Cloud” Technology Program, Patricia M. Tille and Heather Hall. Clinical Laboratory Science, Fall 2011 24:4:5-10.
- Interferon Gamma Release Assays Applications in the Management of Tuberculosis, Patricia M. Tille- State Chair in Microbiology, Volusion, ASCLS-SD State Newsletter, December 2009. ASCLS Today National Newsletter, January 2010.
- The – omics in Laboratory Science; Patricia M. Tille, ASCLS Today, Sept. 2009.
- Optimizing Warfarin and Implications of Human Genotyping in Personalized Medicine; Patricia M. Tille. ASCLS Today, Nov/Dec 2007 21:10:13-14.
- Characterization of an active partition system for the Enterococcus faecalis pheromone responding plasmid pAD1. Maria Victoria Francia, Keith E. Weaver, Patricia Tille and Don B. Clewell. J Bacteriol. 2007 Dec;189(23):8546-55.
- Treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism reverses ischemia and prevents myocyte loss and progressive LV dysfunction in hamsters with dilated cardiomyopathy. Kahlife WI, Tang YD, Kuzman JA, Anderson BE, Said S, Tille P, Schlenker EH and Gerdes AM. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005 Dec;289(6):H2409-15.
- Replication of Enterococcus faecalis Pheromone-Responding Plasmid pAD1: Location of the Minimal Replicon and oriV Site and RepA Involvement in Initiation of Replication , Maria Victoria Francia, Shuhei Fujimoto, Patricia Tille, Keith E. Weaver and Don B. Clewell. Journal of Bacteriology. Vol 186:15, 5003-5016, August 2004.
- Reduction in Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection rate in a nursing home by aggressive containment strategies. Mary Jo Jaqua-Stewart, Jean Tjaden, Donald Humphreys, Pricilla Bade, Patricia M. Tille, K.G. Peterson, A.G. Salem. South Dakota Journal of Medicine, Vol: 52:7, July 1999