Clinical professor of surgery
- :(808) 7538688 :(808) 5230466
University of Hawai‘i
- Master of Science MSc, Master of Science program, Evidence Based Practice (Ophthalmology) , University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK,2011
- Doctor of Medicine MD, Zhong Shan Medical College, Taiwan, 1973
- Research Department of Ophthalmology University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, 1975
- ResidencyDepartment of surgery, first year General Surgery, Christ Hospital, Oak lawn, Illinois,1976
- Residency Complete four years residency training, Department Surgery, Division of Ophthalmology, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, Illinois 1980
Dr. Chen graduated from Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan in 1973. He received his Residency from Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL 60612, USA in 1980. He is a Member of American Academy of Ophthalmology and American College of Surgeons.
- cataract and refractive surgery
- 2015-present Clinical professor, Department of surgery, division of Ophthalmology, University of Hawaii, John A. Burns School of medicine
- 2010-2015 Clinical associate professor, Department of Surgery, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii
- 1998-2010 Clinical assistant professors, Department of surgery, University of Hawaii
- 1998-present Consultant, Zhong Shan people’s hospital, Zhong Shan, China
- 2013-present Member of Editorial board, journal of Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology
- 2013-present Member of Expert board, International journal of Ophthalmology
- 2010-present Program Chair, Annual Academic Conference of Hawaii Ophthalmological society
- 1997-1998 CHAIRMAN, DEP’T OF OPHTHALMOLOGY, KUAKINI HOSPITAL, HAWAII, USA
- 2010-2011 President, HAWAII OPHTHALMOLOGICAL SOCIETY
- 2005-2006 President Chinese Chamber of Commerce, Hawaii
- 2006-2007 President United Chinese Society of Hawaii
Membership in Professional Associations
- 1980-2014 Member of Hawaii Ophthalmological Society
- 1984-2014 Member of American academy of Ophthalmology
- 1984-2014 Member of American College of Surgeons
- 2015 Chen M, Anderson E, Chen J, Patrianakos T, Hill G “ Comparison of cumulative dissipated energy between the Infiniti and Centurion phacoemulsification system” Clinical ophthalmology,9:1367-1372
- 2015 Chen M,” New Cutting Edge Technology to Manage a Case of Dense Cataract with Keratoconus” http://dx.doi.org/10.14437/AJO-1-101 Case Report Ming Chen, Aperito J Ophthalmol 2015: 1:1.
- 2015 In press Chen M, Swinney C, Douglas Dworak, Thomas Patrianakos “The Sutureless Fasanella-Servat Operation for Blepharoptosis Repair, International Journal of ophthalmology.
- 2015 Chen M, Swinnery C, Chen L “Comparing the Utility of the Non-Mydriatic Fundus Camera to the Direct Ophthalmoscope in a Medical Education Setting” Hawaii medical journal, Feb, 74(2).
- 2015 Chen M, Hill J ” Compare Diazepam oral versus Midazolam intravenous injection for sedation in cataract surgery under topical anesthesia” Journal cataract and refractive surgery, Feb
- 2014 Chen M, Phelps P “A Case Report: Extranodal Marginal Zone Lymphoma of the lower Eyelid”. International Journal of Ophthalmic Pathology, 2014 3:1
- 2014 Chen M, Kara LaMattina, Thomas Patrianakos, Surendar Dwarakanathan, “Complication rate of posterior capsule rupture with vitreous loss during phacoemulsification at a Hawaiian cataract surgical center: a clinical audit. Clinical ophthalmology, 2014:8 Pages 375 – 378
- 2013 Chen M, “Combine technique used for zonular dehiscence with dislocated cataract” Ocular Surgery News – Surgical Maneuvers, page 5 March 2013
- 2013 Chen M, “A Review of Femtosecond Laser Assisted Cataract Surgery for Hawai‘I” Hawaii J Med Public Health. 2013; 72(5):152–155.
- 2013 Chen M,” Use LenSx for a case of dense cataract, previous cornea transplant and high astigmatism” Ocular Surgery News – Surgical Maneuvers
- 2012 Chen, M “The effect of large capsulorhexis on the stability of refraction post cataract surgery” British Journal of medicine & medical research 2(1): 86-93
- 2012 Chen M “An evaluation of the accuracy of the Orange (GenII) by comparing it to the IOL Master in the prediction of postoperative refraction” Clinical Ophthalmology, 6: 397-401
- 2012 Chen M “Laser vision correction for patients with atypical topography of cornea (review) case report in clinical medicine, Dec
- 2012 Chen M, “Accommodation in Pseudophakic eyes” Taiwan Journal of Ophthalmology, 2:117-121
- 2011 Chen M, “Correlation between Orange (Gen 1, Pseudophakic) intraoperative refraction and 1-week post cataract surgery autorefraction” Clinical ophthalmology 5: 197-199
- 2011 Chen M, “ Laser vision correction on patients with sick optic nerve- a case repot” Case Report in Ophthalmological Medicine
- 2010 Chen M, Mindy Lin Chen “comparison of CDE data in phacoemulsification between an open hospital-based ambulatory surgical center and a free-standing ambulatory surgical center” Clinical Ophthalmology 4:1287-1289
- 2010 Chen M, “A study to compare single piece IOL vs. multifocal IOL in accommodation using cycloplegic autorefraction” Journal of clinical and experimental ophthalmology
- 2009 Chen M “The review of the change of Britain’s National Health Service for the impending change of the United States” Hawaii medical journal, Oct
- 2009 Chen M, Mindy Lin Chen “A retrospective randomized study to compare the energy delivered using CDE in different technique and Ozil setting by different surgeons in phacoemulsification” Clinical ophthalmology 2009; 3 1-3
- 2009 Chen M “a critique of the change in Hawaii Medicaid System” Hawaii Medical Journal 2009, Oct
- 2009 Chen M, Mindy Lin Chen “a comparison of monofocal intraocular lens (Acrysoft) in mini-monovision (MMV) with premium multifocal implantation of ReSTOR” Clinical Optometry
- 2009 He T, Chen M et al “Comparison of the corneal astigmatism induced by phacoemulsification: clear temporal corneal incision versus sclera tunnel incision” Journal of ophthalmology
- 2007 Chen M, Atebara N “A comparison of a monofocal Acrysoft IOL using the “blended monovision” formula with the multifocal Array IOL of glasses independence after cataract surgery” Annual of ophthalmology 39(3)
Invited Scientific Journal Publications
- 2012 Chen M, “The method of clinical audit and its effectiveness” editorial, journal of clinical and experimental ophthalmology.
Other Non-Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- 2008 Chen M “6 steps to maximize success with pseudophakic monovision” Ophthalmology management.
- 2009 Chen M “The future direction of cataract surgery “International Journal of Medical & Biology.
- 2012 Chen M, “The Differences in My Phaco Technique with Laser Cataract Surgery”, CATARACT & REFRACTIVE SURGERY TODAY EUROPE page 65.
Books & Book Chapters
- 2005 Chen M, Text book “Lens disorders & surgical management” Guangzhou China