Professor and Director
Director of Critical Care Nephrology
Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel
|1993|| Licence in Internal Medicine:
Grade: Highest Distinction (“Summa Cum Laude).
|1994|| License in Intensive Care Medicine:
Grade: Highest Distinction (“Summa Cum Laude)
|1990-1991|| Post Graduate Fellowship at Guy’s Hospital, London
Grade :High Degree
|1993-1994|| Post Graduate Fellowship at Guy’s ICU Hospital, London
Grade : Highest Degree
|1996||Post Graduate Fellowship at Austin and Repatriation Hospital ICU, Melbourne|
Patrick Honoré, graduated from Louvain Medical School as MD (1988), Specialist in Internal Medicine (1993), Intensive Care Specialist (1994) and Nephrologist (1995). During his internship, he completed more than 2 1/2 years specialisation in Nephrology and Dialysis. For almost 5 years, he received ICU training abroad (United Kingdom, Australia and USA). Pr Honoré is Board member of the Belgian Intensive Care Society and closely involved in the Nephrology section of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. He is also a distinguished member or consultant of many scientific committees and decision-making organizations dedicated to diagnosis, treatment, and research in the field of acute kidney injury in the critically ill. Pr Honoré authored or co-authored more than 155 peer-reviewed papers ,more than 545 abstracts and more than 55 book chapters . He was also editor of three books dedicated to Critical Care Nephrology.He has been invited as a speaker at more than 350 national and international conferences in almost 100 different countries. He acts as reviewer for more than 45 international journals, including top-ranking journals in the field of critical care medicine and nephrology. He is a member of the editorial board of several (15 )high-standard journals. He is also Editor-In-Chief of the Journal of Translational Internal Medicine (open access) since 2013, editor-in-chief of Journal of Multidisciplinary Critical Care Medicine & Journal of Translational Kidney Research since 2015 (open access too).Since 2009, he fulltime fulfils the position of Head of Clinics in the Intensive Care department of the University Hospital, Vrije Universiteit Brussels (VUB) and became Clinical Tutor and Senior Lecturer at the VUB Faculty of Medicine.Since 2012, he fulfils the position of Full Professor at the VUB Faculty of Medicine. In the ICU department, he leads the Critical Care Nephrology Platform which incorporates intensivists, nephrologists and nurses dedicated to daily education, research and treatment of acute kidney injury. In particular, he directs and organizes continuous renal replacement therapy on a 24/24; 7/7 on-call basis.He has also start a CRRT program using citrate dedicated to small children (less than 10 kg) in the UZB -PICU since 2013.
- Septic shock : new therapeutic strategies.
- Hemoadsorption and cytokines removal.
- Hemofiltration and anticoagulation.
- Early enteral nutrition.
- Percutaneous tracheostomy (Ciaglia).
- Oxygen delivery in sepsis.
- Gram (+) sepsis (toxic shock syndrome ...).
- Antibiotic clearance in acute renal failure and CRRT.
- Elected member for two mandates of 5 years each since 1998 (end 2008) of hospital ethics committee of St-Pierre Ottignies
- Elected member & Vice-Chairman of the Hygiene Committee of QAMH since June 2009. Miltary Hospital Queen Astrid,N-O-H
- Organizer of Congresses:
- Honore PM: Chairman and Organiser of the symposium ‘”Place of the clinical pharmacist and the quinolones at the day-break of the 3rd millennium”. Guest speaker : Prof J. Paladino Millard Fillmore Teaching Hospital – Buffalo – New York State 20.11.2000. Louvain La Neuve (Hôtel Mercure). Co-Chairman : Prof. PM Tulkens (UCL).
- Honore PM:Chairman and Organizer of the symposium : “Evolving concepts in invasive fungal infections”.Guest speaker : Prof Ben De Pauw UMC Nymegem.Brussels the 24.01.2001 (Centre de la bande dessinée). Co-Chairman : Prof J Maertens (KU Leuven
- Honore PM: Organiser and Discussant of the Nivelles Symposium on Continuous Flow PD : Past, Present, Future (Dr Richard Amerling Chairman: Mrs Poala Elisabettini Center Baxter R&D Europe, Nivelles, Belgium , 7 June 2007.
- Honore PM: Chairman & Organizer (With Prof Ph Hantson, BLT) of the SIZ-Spring Meeting held the 22 th June 2007 in Auditorium Maisin in UCL Faculty, WSL , BXL. Topic: New Trends in Toxicology in 2007.
- Honoré PM, Williams A, Ozanne C et al. Acute chest syndrome in sickle cell anaemia. Acta Clinica Belgica 48;5:344-347(1993).
- Heller FR, Jamart J, Honore PM et al. Serum lipoproteine A in patients with diabete mellitus. Diabetes care, 16;5:819-823 (1993).
- Honoré PM, Hantson Ph, Mahieu P et al. Paraquat poisoning "State of the art". Acta Clinica Belgica 49:5:220-227 (1994).
- Honoré PM. Evaluation of clinical practice at Guy's Hospital (UK). Louvain Medical 113;5:376-378 (1994).
- Fauville JP, Hantson Ph, Honore PM et al. Severe Diltiazem poisoning with intestinal pseudo-obstruction : case report and toxicological data. Clinical toxicology, 33 (3), 273-277 (1995).
- Honoré PM, Lozana A, Defalque D, Efstratiou A. Fatal septic shock due to Lancefield group G Streptococcus. Acta Clinica Belgica. Vol. 51; n° 1 - 57-60 (1996).
- Honoré PM. L'infarctus myocardique aigu : diagnostic et traitement en 1995. Journal de l'Association des Médecins Généralistes. N° 12 - Mai 1996 - 33-39.
- Honoré PM, Pelgrim JP : Une douleur thoracique violente : description d'un cas clinique et revue brève de la littérature. Urgences. Décembre 1996. n°4.
- Honoré PM, Jamez J, Wauthier M, Dugernier Th. Prospective evaluation of short time high volume isovolemic haemofiltration on the haemodynamic course and outcome of patients with refractory septic shock. In INCA Holland, 1998 (Editor), Critical Care Nephrology ISBN : 90:755 23-14-9 Chap VIII, S87-S99 1998.
- Honoré PM, Jamez J. Choc septique à streptocoques du groupe A. Effet bénéfique de l'hémofiltration à haut débit, de courte durée (letter). Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 1998:17:430-2.
- Jamez J, Honoré PM. Epuration extra rénale : techniques actuellement disponibles et places respectives dans l'arsenal thérapeutique du choc septique. Vaisseaux, coeur, poumons 1998, vol 3 n°5:165-71.
- Atkinson S, Sieffert E, Bihari D on behalve of the Guys’Intensive Care Grou A prospective, randomized, double-blind, controlled clinical trial of enteral immunonutrition in the critically ill. Guy's Hospital Intensive Care Group. Dr Patrick Honoré is a Member of The Guy’s Intensive Care Group. Crit Care Med. 1998 ;26:1164-72.
- Honoré PM, Lozana A, Dugernier Th, Harding D, Jamez J, Wauthier M, Wautelet J, Wauters G. Toxic shock syndrome due to lancefiled group A and G streptococci. Current concepts, clinical aspects and therapeutic challenges. Medecine et maladies infectieuses 1999 (Elsevier, Paris);29;5-11, 1999.
- Jacquet LM, Honoré PM, Beale RJ, Valadi D, Dion R, Goenen M.Cardiac function after intermittent antegrade warm blood cardioplegia : contribution of the double indicator dilution technique.Intensive Care Med 2000 ;6 ;Vol 26,June :680-692 (Springer-Verlag).
- Honoré PM, Jamez J, Wauthier M., Pirenne B, Pelgrim JP, Dugernier Th. Removal of mediators by hemofiltration in septic shock : where do we stand ? Réanimation-Urgences 2000 July;9 :289-97 (update article publish in english). (Elsevier publications).
- Honoré PM, Jamez J, Wauthier M, Lee PA, Dugernier Th, Pirenne B, Hanique G, Matson JR. Prospective evaluation of short term high volume isovolemic haemofiltration on the haemodynamic course and outcome in patients with intractable circulatory failure resulting from septic shock. Critical Care Med 2000:28; November: 3581-3587.(First featured article of that issue).
- Frippiat F, Derue G, Heller F, Honoré PM, Moreau M, Vandercam B. Acute pancreatitis associated with severe lactic acidosis in human immunodeficiancy virus infected patients receiving triple therapy.J. Antimicrob Chemother 2000 ;45 :411-412.
- Honoré PM., Jacquet LM, Beale RJ, Renauld Jch, Valadi D, Noirhomme Ph, Goenen M. Effect of normothermia versus hypothermia on extravascular lung water and serum cytokines during cardiopulmonary bypass : a randomized, controlled trial.Critical Care Med 2001;29;October: 1903-1909.
- Honoré PM,Matson JR. Short-Term High-Volume Hemofiltration in Sepsis:Perhaps the Right Way is to Start with.Crit Care Med 2002;30:1673-1674.
- Honoré PM, Matson JR. Hemoflitration,adsorption, sieving and the challenge of sepsis therapy design. Critical Care 2002;6:394-396.
- Honoré PM, Jamez J, Wauthier M, Pelgrim JP, Lebaupin C, Pirenne B, Lemaire M, Dugernier Th. Hemofiltration à haut débit. In communication scientifique. MAPAR Ed 2002;383-399.
- Honoré PM, Ernst Y,Loix S et al..Improved cardiac output and survival with short-term high-volume haemofiltration following inefficient low-volume haemofiltration in a case of refractory desperate malarial septic shock. ESCI Journal 2002;32:75-76
- Honoré PM,Jamez J,Wauthier M,Pelgrim J-P,Lebaupin C, Lemaire M, Pirenne B,Dugernier Th.High volume hemofiltration .Chapter of a book. « Epuration Extrarenale en Reanimation » . D. Journois and F. Shortgen :Editors;Masson /France/Publish in April 2003: ISBN:2.294.00662.3 Pages 213-230.
- Honoré PM. Management of the intoxications in The Democratic Republic of
- Congo. 2003. Belgian Editions. January 2003.25.Honoré PM, Zydney LA, Matson JR : High volume and high permeability haemofiltration for sepsis : the evidence and the key issues. Review article on invitation by the Editor in Chief of the journal:”Care of the Critically ill”.Accepted in April 2003. Care of Critically ill June 2003;19:69-76.
- Honore PM, Matson JR: Extracorporeal removal for sepsis: Acting at the tissue level -The beginning of a new era for this treatment modality in septic shock. By invitation of the editor-in-chief to wrote an editorial. Crit Care Med 2004;32:896-897
- The best kidney investigators .The Best Kidney study II. Diuretics and Mortality in Acute Renal Failure. A multinational, multicenter, prospective epidemiological study.Dr Patrick Honoré is a member of the best kidney investigators. Crit Care Med 2004;32:1669-1677.(Pubmed List of Authors)
- Matson J R, Zydney AR, Honore,PM. Blood Filtration: New Opportunities and The Implications On System Biology. Critical Care and Resucitation July 2004; 6:209-218
- Honore PM.,Joannes-Boyau O. High Volume Hemofiltration in Sepsis: A comprehensive Review of Rationale, Clinical Applicability, Potential Indications and Recommendations for Future Research. By invitation of the Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Artificial Organs. IJAO 2004;27:1077-1082.
- Honore PM: Invited expert to review the paper from ADQI(Acute Dialysis Quality Iniative) III on Extra Blood Therapy and Sepsis.Publish online on the website www.ADQI.Net (Submitted the 31 December 2003).
- The best kidney investigators : The Beginning and Ending Supportive Therapy for the Kidney (B.E.S.T. Kidney) Investigators. A multinational,multicenter, prospective epidemiological study.Acute Renal Failure in Critically ill Patients: a multinational, multicenter study. External validation of severity scoring systems for acute renal failure using a multinational database Dr Patrick Honoré is a member of the best kidney investigators. Crit Care Med. 2005 ;33:1961-7 (Pubmed List of Authors)
- Bellomo R, Honoré PM, Matson JR, Ronco C, Winchester J, . Extracorporeal blood treatment (EBT) methods in SIRS/Sepsis (ADQI update). Review Paper based upon the ADQI III meeting on EBT in Sepsis. International Journal of Artificial organs 2005. IJAO 2005;28:450-458
- The best kidney investigators .Acute Renal Failure in Critically ill Patients.A Multinational, multicenter Study. The Best Study I. Dr Patrick Honoré is a member of the best kidney investigators. JAMA 2005;294:813-818.(Pubmed List of Authors)
- Parent M, Hantson Ph, Honoré PM, Colebunders R,Rahier J, Bonbled F. Correlations anatomo-biologiques dans un cas de fievre jaune importé de Gambie. Ann Pathol 2005 ;25 :393-397.
- The best kidney investigators : The Beginning and Ending Supportive Therapy for the Kidney (B.E.S.T. Kidney) Investigators. A multinational,multicenter, prospective epidemiological study.Acute Renal Failure in Critically ill Patients: a multinational, multicenter study Dr Patrick Honoré is member of the best kidney investigators. JAMA 2005;294:813-818-Supplemental Electronical Material & Files.(Pubmed List of Authors)
- Detlef Kindgen-Milles in the Name of the DO-RE-MI investigators.Study protocol: The DOse REsponse Multicentre International collaborative initiative (DO-RE-MI) Dr Patrick Honoré is a member of the DO-RE-Mi Investigators (Pubmed list of Authors)Crit Care 2005;9:396-406
- Honore PM, Piette V, Galloy A-C, Almpanis C, Pelgrim J-P, Dugernier Th. High Volume Haemofiltation: General Review In “Extra-corporeal circulation in ICU » In French SRLF Collection Europe, Editors : Robert R, Honoré PM, Bastien O. Collection Director: Prof F Saulnier. Elsevier, Paris, January 2006, 195-220.
- Renard D, Douny N, Verly Ch, Lourtie A-M, Honore PM. Nursing Monitoring of Continuous Haemofiltratio In “Extra-corporeal circulation in ICU » In French SRLF Collection Europe, Editors : Robert R, Honoré PM, Bastien O. Collection Director: Prof F Saulnier. Elsevier, Paris, January 2006, 179-194.
- Joannes-Boyau O, Honoré PM, Boer W. Hemofiltration: the case for removal of sepsis mediators from where they do harm. Critical Care Medicine 2006;34:2244-2246.
- Honore PM, Joannes-Boyau O, Merson L , Boer W, Piette V, Galloy AC. The Big Bang of Haemofiltration: the beginning of a new era in the third Millennium for extra-corporeal blood purification !. Review Paper. International Journal of Artificial organs 2006.IJAO 2006; 29:649-659.
- Uchino S, Bellomo R, Morimatsu H, Sugihara M, French C, Stephens D, Wendon J, Honore PM, Mulder J, Turner A. Pulmonary artery catheter versus pulse contour analysis: a prospective epidemiological study.Crit Care 2006;10:174 Epu Ahead of Print.
- Honore PM, Joannes-Boyau O. “The French Hemodiafe Trial”: not either a decisive nor a definitive study regarding controversy for renal replacement therapy in the ICU field !” Review Paper. IJAO 2006;29:1190-1192.
- Parent M, Hantson Ph, Honoré PM, Colebunders R,Rahier J, Bonbled F. Correlations anatomo-biologiques dans un cas de fievre jaune importé de Gambie. Author’s Response. Ann Pathol 2006 ;26 :302-303.
- Honore PM, Joannes-Boyau O.High volume in ICU: Where are we in 2006? Keimyung Med J 2006;2:88-101.(Korean Nephrol Journal in English
- Honore PM, Joannes-Boyau O.Rationale of Extra-Corporeal Therapy in Sepsis and SIRS. Keimyung Med J 2006;2:81-87. .(Korean Nephrol Journal in English)