Assistant Professor and Medical Director of Anesthesiology
University of Wisconsin
|3/2001-2/2002||Internship, Assiut University Hospitals, Assiut, Egypt.|
|2/2008-6/2009||Clinical research fellowship, Anesthesiology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.|
|6/2009- 6/2010||Internship, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.|
|6/2010-6/2013||Residency, Anesthesiology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.|
|7/ 2013-6/2014||Fellowship, Pain Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.|
Abd-Elsayed graduated from Medical School in Egypt in 2000. He was then hired as a faculty at the Public health Department where he finished his Master Degree. Dr. Abd-Elsayed moved to USA in 2008 to work at Cleveland Clinic as a Clinical Research Fellow at the Department of Anesthesiology. Between2009-2013, he performed his Anesthesiology residency at the University of Cincinnat then joined the same program for pain Fellowship that was completed in 2014. Dr. Abd-Elsayed joined the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and he is currently an assistant professor at the Department, the Medical Director of the UW Pain Clinic and the Medical Director of the UW pain services. Dr. Abd-Elsayed published more than 70 peer reviewed articles, 4 book chapters, more than 100 presentations, and several editorials. He also serves as a reviewer and editorial board member for many journals
Chronic Pain and Pain Management Treatment
Honors and awards:
|2013||Second place award, MARC (coauthor), Kansas city, Missouri, USA.|
|2013||Young investigator travel award, American pain society, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA|
|2013||Third place award at the OSA (coauthor), Cleveland, Ohio, USA|
|2014||Chief fellow, Chronic Pain Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA|
|2015||Third place award at the MARC (coauthor), Cleveland, Ohio, USA.|
|2015||Patient experience award, Pain Clinic, UW, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.|
- Abd-Elsayed A, Zarzour AH, Abd-ElAziz AM and Selim M. Study of risk factors of urinary bladder cancer in Assiut Governorate. Thesis submitted for Master Degree, December 2005.
- Khalifa NM, Maximous DW, Abd-Elsayed A. Fetus in fetu: case report and review of literature. Assiut Medical Journal, 2007 May; 31 (2).
- Elsayh KI, Sayed E and Abd-Elsayed A. Effect of malnutrition on auditory brainstem response in infants. Alexandria Journal of Pediatrics, 2007 May; 21 (2): 377-382.
- Hasan-Ali H, Shams-Eddin H, Abd-Elsayed A, Maghraby MH. Echocardiographic assessment of mitral valve morphology after Percutaneous Transvenous Mitral Commissurotomy (PTMC). Cardiovascular Ultrasound, 2007 December 8; 5:48.
- Khalifa NM, Maximous DW, Abd-Elsayed A. Fetus in fetu: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports, 2008 January 10; 2:2.
- Felix AS, Soliman AS, Khaled H, Zaghloul MS, Banerjee M, El-Baradie M, El-Kalawy M, Abd-Elsayed A, Ismail K, Hablas A, Seifeldin IA, Ramadan M, Wilson ML. The changing patterns of bladder cancer in Egypt over the past 26 years. Cancer Causes & Control, 2008 May; 19(4):421-9.
- Abass K, Saad H, Kherala M, Abd-Elsayed A. Successful treatment of Kasabach-Merritt syndrome with vincristine and surgery: a case report and review of literature. Cases Journal, 2008 May 23; 1 (1): 9.
- Khalifa NM, Maximous DW, Abd-Elsayed A. Case of the issue. Diagnostic Radiology Europe, 2008 June/July; p. 10.
- Wasfi EI, Sharma R, Powditch E, Abd-Elsayed A.Pattern of eye casualty clinic cases. International Archives of Medicine, 2008 July 26; 1(1):13.
- El-Azab AS, Abd-Elsayed A, Imam HM. Patient-reported and anatomical outcomes after surgery for pelvic organ prolapse.Neurourology and Urodynamics, 2009; 28(3):219-24.
- Zarzour AH, Selim M, Abd-Elsayed A, Hameed DA, Abdelaziz MA. Muscle invasive bladder cancer in Upper Egypt: demographic criteria, risk factors and special tumor characteristics. BioMed Central Cancer, 2008 August 29; 8(1):250.
- Metwalley KA, Farghalley HS, Abd-Elsayed A. Prune-belly syndrome in an Egyptian infant with Down syndrome: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports, 2008 October 2; 2(1):322.
- Elganainy E, Abd-Elsayed A. Huge incisional hernia:a case report. Cases Journal, 2008 October 2; 1(1):202.
- Abass K, Saad H, Abd-Elsayed A. Necrotizing fasciitis with toxic shock syndrome in a child: a case report and review of literature. Cases Journal, 2008 October 8; 1(1):228.
- Wasfi EI, Pai P, Abd-Elsayed A. Patient satisfaction with cataract surgery. International Archives of Medicine Journal, 2008 October 25; 1(1):22.
- Nashed SG, Rageh TA, Attallah-Wasif ES, Abd-Elsayed A. Intraneural injection of corticosteroids to treat nerve damage in leprosy: a case report and review of literature. Journal of Medical Case Reports, 2008 December 9; 2 (1):381.
- Wasfy IA, Wasfy EIa, Aly TA, Abd-Elsayed A.Ophthalmic medicolegal cases in Upper Egypt. International Archives of Medicine, 2009 January 2; 2 (1):1.
- Abass K, Saad H, Abd-Elsayed A. The first case of isolated facial cutanenous leishmaniasis in a Down syndrome infant: a case report and review of the literature. Cases Journal, 2009 January 6; 2 (1):13.
- Wasfi E, Kendrick B, Yasen T, Varma P, Abd-Elsayed A. Penetrating eyelid injury: a case report and review of literature. Head Face Medicine, 2009 January 14; 5(1):2.
- Saleh Y, El-Oteify M, Abd-El-Salam AE, Tohamy A, Abd-Elsayed A. Safety and benefits of large-volume liposuction: a single center experience. International Archives of Medicine, 2009 February 2; 2(1):4.
- Maximous DW, Abdel-Wanis ME, El-Sayed MI, Abd-Elsayed A.Preoperative gemcitabine based chemo-radiotherapy in locally advanced non metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma. International Archives of Medicine, 2009 March 27, 2(1):7.
- Zaky SS, Barnett GH, Abd-Elsayed A, Farag E. Coronary Artery Spasm Associated with Blood Brain Barrier Disruption Induced by Carotid Sinus Stimulation. Minerva Anestesiologica, 2009 March 31.
- Zaky SS, Seif J, Abd-Elsayed A, Bashour CA. Recurrent lung collapse due to phrenic nerve palsy after cardiac surgery. A potential role of awake bronchoscopy. Minerva Anestesiologica 2009 September;75(9):533-6.
- Shalaby MM, Abdalla, MA, Abolella HA, El-Haggagy AA and Abd-Elsayed A. Single puncture percutaneous nephrolithomy for management of complex renal stones. BioMed Central Research Notes 2009 April 20, 2:62.
- Elganainy E, Hameed DA, Elgammal MA, Abd-Elsayed A, Shalaby M. Experience with impacted upper ureteral Stones; should we abandon using semirigid ureteroscopes and pneumatic lithoclast?. International Archives of Medicine 2009 May 3, 2(1):13.
- Ahmed SH, Daef EA, Badary MS, Mahmoud MA, Abd-Elsayed A. Nosocomial blood stream infection in intensive care units at Assiut University Hospitals (Upper Egypt) with special reference to extended spectrum beta-lactamase producing organisms.BioMed Central Research Notes 2009 May 6, 2(1):76.
- Seif JS, Zaky SS, Deogaonkar A, Liang Li M, Leventhal M, Abd-Elsayed A, C. Bashour A. A propensity matched comparison of cardiac and non-cardiac thoracic surgery patients on the incidence of new onset postoperative atrial arrhythmias. Journal of cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia2010 June; 24(3):447-50
- Abass K, Saad H, Abd-Elsayed A. Congenital hydrocephalus in an Egyptian infant with Trisomy 18: a case report. Journal of Medical case Reports.Journal of Medical Case Reports 2009 Nov 9; 3:114.
- Hasan-Ali H, Maghraby MH, Mosaad E, Abd-Elsayed A. Pattern and possible contributing factors to dialysis-associated arrhythmia in young patients. The World Health Organization Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2009 September-October, 15 (5):1313-22.
- Hasan-Ali H, Maghraby MH, Fouad DA, Abd-Elsayed A. Corrected QT dispersion (QTDc) improves the diagnostic performance of treadmill exercise test in diagnosing Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). The World Health Organization Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2010 January, 16 (1): 75-81.
- Duncan A, Abd-Elsayed A, Maheshwari A, Xu M, Soltesz E, Koch C. The Role of intraoperative and postoperative blood glucose concentrations in predicting outcomes after cardiac surgery. Anesthesiology 2010 April; 112:860 –71.
- Zedan H, Hareadei AA, Abd-Elsayed A, Abdel-Maguid EM. Cigarette smoking, hypertension and diabetes mellitus as risk factors for erectile dysfunction in Upper Egypt. The World Health Organization Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2010 March; 16 (3): 281-285.
- Kalil KA, Farghally HS, Hassanein KM, Abd-Elsayed A, Hassanein FE. Hepatitis C virus infection among pediatric patients attending Assiut university hospital –Egypt. The World Health Organization Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2010 April; 16 (4): 356-361.
- Zedan H, Abd El-Baset HA, Abd-Elsayed A, El-Karn MF, Madkors HR. Lesional skin vascular endothelial growth factor levels correlate with clinical severity in patients with cement allergic contact dermatitis. The World Health Organization Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2010 April;16(4):420-4.
- Turner PL, Saager L, Dalton J, Abd-Elsayed A, Roberman D, Melara P, Kurz A, Turan A. A Nomogram for Predicting Surgical Complications in Bariatric Surgery Patients. Obesity Surgery2011 May; 21(5):655-62.
- Hasan-Ali H, Abd El-Mottaleb NA, Hamed HB, Abd-Elsayed A. Serum adiponectin and leptin as predictors of the presence and degree of coronary atherosclerosis. Coronary Artery Disease2011 June;22(4):264-9.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Barsoum W, Bell G, Guirguis M, Farag E. Diplopia following spine surgery: a case series. The Open Neurosurgery Journal 2011 May, 4, 14-15.
- Ahmed AM, Hassan MS, Abd-Elsayed A, Hassan H, Hasanain AF, Helmy A. Insulin resistance, steatosis, and fibrosis in Egyptian patients with chronic Hepatitis C virus infection.Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology2011 Jul-Aug;17(4):245-51.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Samuels P, Istaphanous G. Abducens Nerve Injury Caused by Halo-Femoral Traction: A Case Report. Journal of Neurology Research 2011 August; 1(3):113-114.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Seif J, Gigius M, Zaky S, Mounir L. Bilateral Brachial Plexus home going catheters after digital amputation for patient with upper extremity digital gangrene.The Journal of Clinical Medicine Research2011 December; 3(6):325-327.
- Abd-Elsayed A,Sessler DI, Mendoza-Curatas M, Dalton J, Said T, Meinert G, Upton G, Franklin C, Kurz A. A randomized controlled study to assess patients’ consenting for clinical trials using two different consent form presentations.Minerva Anesthesiologica 2012 February; 78:1-2.
- Farag E, Abd-Elsayed A, Anderson M, Abdelmalak J, Schubert A. Anesthetic management for wingspan stent. The Ochsner Journal 2012 spring;12(1):30-4.
- Guirguis M, Abd-Elsayed A, Girgis G,Soliman-Loran L. Ultrasound guided transversus abdominis plane block for chronic abdominal pain.Pain Practice2012 Jun 27.
- Farag E, Argalious M, Abd-Elsayed A, Ibrahim Z. The use of dexmedetomidine in anesthesia and critical care.Current Pharmatheutical Design Journal2012 Jul 2, 18, 6257-6265.
- Guirguis M, Karrroum R, Abd-Elsayed A, Mounir-Soliman L. Acute respiratory distress following ultrasound guided supraclavicular block.The Ochsner Journal 2012 summer;12:159–162.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Estrin Y, Saini S, Weil R, Farag E. Anesthetic management of craniotomy for a patient with a large right atrial mass. International Journal of Cardiovascular research 2012 Dec., 1:4.
- Farag E, Abd-Elsayed A, Mascha E, O’Hara JF. Assessment of an anesthesiology academic department mentorship program.The Ochsner Journal2012 winter; 12(4):373-8.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Ghaly T, Farag E, Sakr W. Bilateral pneumothorax following a right subclavian catheter insertion for plasmapheresis in a patient with a myasthenic crisis. The Ochsner Journal2013 summer; 13(2):256-8.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Delgado S, Livingstone M. Self-image perception of 171 children and adolescents with cleft lip and palate from 23 different countries. The Ochsner Journal2013 summer; 13(2):204-7.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Lisco S, Alsidawi S, Bonomo J. Simaltaneous antiphospholipid syndrome and heparin induced thrombocytopenia in a single patient. Anesthesia & Analgesia case reports2014 January 1, 2:1.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Díaz-Gómez J, Barnett GH, Kurz A, Inton-Santos M, Barsoum S, Avitsian R, Ebrahim Z, Jevtovic-Todorovic V, Farag E. A case series discussing the anaesthetic management of pregnant patients with brain tumours,F1000 Research 2013, 2:92.
- Guiguis M, Deroee A, Kolli S, Abd-Elsayed A, zaky S. Continue anterior sciatic nerve block a case series. Analgesia & Resuscitation: Current Research 2014, 3:1.
- Gharabawy R, Abd-Elsayed A, Elsharkawy H, Farag E, Cummings K, Eid G, Mendoza M, Mounir-Soliman L, Rosenquist R, Sakr Esa W. The Cleveland Clinic experience with ambulatory peripheral nerve catheters. The Scientific World Journal.
- Elsharkawy H, Abd-Elsayed A, Cummings K, Soliman L. Analgesic efficacy and technique of ultrasound guided suprascapular nerve catheters after shoulder arthroscopy. The Ochsner Journal2014 summer, 14:259–263.
- Farag E, Abd-Elsayed A, Dalton J, Parker B. Postoperative visual loss after spine surgery: a single-institution case-control comparison. The Ochsner Journal2014 summer, 14:179–183.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Wehby T, Farag E. Anesthetic management for patients with intracranial aneurysm. The Ochsner Journal 2014 fall, 14:418-425.
- Khanna A, Abd-Elsayed A, Farag E, Doyle D, Esa W. Ventriculopleural shunt surgery in a patient with multiple skeletal and neurodevelopmental anomalies- a true perioperative challenge. The open access journal of science and technology.Vol. 3 (2015), Article ID 101133, 4 pages
- Elsharkawy H, Abd-Elsayed A, Karroum R. Management challenges in the “Passing-through” technique using a Fogarty catheter to remove an endobronchial foreign body from an infant. The Ochsner Journal2015 spring; 15(1):110-3.
- Elsharkawy H, Salmasi V, Abd-Elsayed A, Turan A. Identification of location of nerve catheters using pumping maneuver and M-mode- A novel technique. Journal ofClinical Anesthesia.2015 Jun;27(4):325-30.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Girgis M, Dewood M, Zaky S. A double blind randomized controlled trial comparing epidural clonidine versus bupivacaine for pain control during and after lower abdominal surgeries. The Ochsner Journal2015 summer;15(2):133-42.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Grandhi R, Sachdeva H. Effective management of trigeminal neuralgia by neurostimulation. The Ochsner Journal2015 summer; 15(2):193-5.
- Abd-Elsayed AA, Ikeda R, Jia Z, Ling J, Zuo X, Li M, Gu JG. KCNQ channels nociceptive cols-sensing trigeminal ganglion neurons as therapeutic targets for treating orofacial cold hyperalgesia. Molecular Pain 2015 Jul 31; 11 (1):45.
- Abd-Elsayed A, Schiavoni N, Sachdeva H. Efficacy of spinal cord stimulators in treating peripheral neuropathy: a case series. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia2015 Sep 19.