Professor of Cancer Biology
Fox Chase Cancer Center
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Agustin Alvarez National College, Mendoza, Argentina
School of Medicine, University National of Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina
School of Medicine, University National of Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina
St. John Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Jose Russo, MD is Professor and Senior Member of the FCCC. He is Director of the Irma H. Russo, MD-Breast Cancer Research Laboratory and Director of the Breast Cancer and The Environment Research Center at the Fox Chase Cancer Center-Temple Health. Dr, Russo is also Adjunct Professor of Pathology and Cell Biology at Jefferson Medical School and Professor of Biochemistry at Temple Medical School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dr Jose Russo has authored more than 400 publications; 13 books and is member of several editorial boards of scientific journals. He has received numerous research awards from the National Cancer Institute of the National Institute of Health (NIH) of the United States, from the American Cancer Society and the Department of Defense for his original research in breast cancer. For the last 35 years he has been an active member of the NIH peer review system and has served as a special reviewer for the American Cancer Society, National Science Foundation, Department of Defense and Veteran Affairs. Dr. Russo has trained 55 Ph.D. and M.D. investigators in cancer research. The interest of Dr. Russo has a broad base, but with a focused goal; 1) to understand the mechanisms that control cancer metastasis and 2) to develop strategies for breast cancer prevention.
Breast Cancer, Endocrinology, Hormonal and Environmental Carcinogenesis, Hormone Breast Cancer Prevention, Molecular and Cell Biology, Pathology, Prognostic Indicators, Invasion and Metastasis.
- College of American Pathologists, Member since 1982
- International Academy of Pathology, Regular Member since 1981
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists, Member since 1980
- American Association for Cancer Research, Regular Member since 1976
- Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine, Regular Member since 1973
- American Society for Cell Biology, Regular Member since 1973
- Society for the Study of Reproduction, Member since 1973
- Electron Microscopy Society of America, Regular Member since 1974
- Tissue Culture Association, Regular Member since 1975
- Sociedad Latinoamericana de Microscopia Electronica, (Founder Member) since 1972
- Sigma Xi, Regular Member since 1972
- American Association for Advancement of Science, Regular Member, 1972
- Asociacion Latinoamericana de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Regular Member since 1968.
- Wayne County Medical Society, Member since 1980
- New York Academy of Science, Regular member since 1979
- Michigan Society of Pathology, Member since 1980
- Biological Society of Cuyo, Secretary from 1967 to 1971 and Regular Member since 1964
- Radiation Research Society, Member since1995.
- Member of the Senologic Specialties Committee of the Senologic International Society, since September 2003.
- Society of Toxicology, Member since 2007.
- Vanegas, J.andBidinotto, L.T, Pereira, J.S.,Lopez, R., Washington, S., Xu, H., Aliaga, C.,Russo, I.H., Manni, A., El-Bayoumy, K., Russo, J. Effects of dietary omega-3 and omega-6 in the prevention of rat mammary cancer with tamoxifen.Proc Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 51:2010a, 2010.
- Fernandez, S.V., Huang, Y., Snider, K.E., BS, and Russo, J. Epigenetic Response of the Human Breast Epithelial Cells to Xenoestrogens. . Proceeding of the Endocrine Society, Abstract 852858, 2010.
- Bidinotto, L.T., Vanegas, J.E., Vanden Heuvel, J.P., Lopez, R., Santucci-Pereira, J., Washington, S., Xu, H., Russo I.H., El-Bayoumy, K., Manni, A., Russo, J.. Transcriptomic changes on mammary tumors induced by the treatment of tamoxifen to omega-3 or omega-6 fed Sprague-Dawley rats.Proc Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. XX:XXX, 2011.
- Ricardo Lopez de Cicco, Julia Santucci-Pereira, Suraj Peri, Michael Slifker, Eric Ross, Irma Haydee Russo, Patricia A. Russo, Alan A. Arslan, IlanaBelitskaya-Levy, Anne Zeleniuch-Jacquotte, Pal Bordas, Per Lenner, Janet Ahman, Yelena Afanasyeva, Robert Johansson, Fathima S. Sheriff, Goran Hallmans,Paolo Toniolo, Jose Russo. Defining the genomic signature of the parous breast. Proc Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. XX: XXX, 2011.
- Kara E. Snider, Ehya Hormoz, Jose Russo and Sandra V. Fernandez. NRG1 and RAR β Hypermethylation in Breast Cancer Progression. Proc Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. XX: XXX, 2011.
- Julia Santucci-Pereira1, Ricardo Lopez de Cicco1, Patricia A. Russo1, Georg Pfeiler2, Mary Daly3, Agnes Masny3, Irma H. Russo1, Fathima Sheriff1, Jose Russo.The use of r-hCG changes the transcriptome profile of nulliparous women carrying BRCA1 mutation.Proc Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. XX: XXX, 2011.
- Samuel Ribeiro de Noronha, Silvana A.A. Carrea de Noronha, Irma H. Russo, Ricardo Lopez de Cicco, Julia Santucci-Pereira, Jose Russo, J. IL-8 receptor CXCR1 expressed in human breast epithelial cells MCF-10F is down regulated by human chorionic gonadotropin and its peptide 81-95. Proc Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. XX: XXX, 2011.
- López de Cicco, R., Yan, B. , Russo, P.A., Pereira, J.S., Pinney, S.M. Biro, F. Lamartiniere, C., Medvedovic, M.and Russo, J. Comparison of gene expression changes induced by BPA and BBP in blood of pubertal girls and 35 days old rats. Proceedimg of the Annual Meeting of the NIEHS-Breast Cancer and the Environment Research Program. Cincinati. OH, November 17-18, 2011.
- Jose Russo. The windows of susceptibility in breast cancer and its prevention. Proceedimg of the Annual Meeting of the NIEHS-Breast Cancer and the Environment Research Program. Cincinati. OH, November 17-18, 2011.
- López de Cicco, R., Yan, B., Russo, P.A., Pereira, J.S., Pinney, S.M. Biro, F. Lamartiniere, C., Medvedovic, M, Russo, I .andRusso, J. Comparison of gene expression changes induced by BPA and BBP in blood of pubertal girls and 35 days old rats.Proceedimg of the Annual Meeting of the NIEHS-Breast Cancer and the Environment Research Program. Cincinati. OH, November 17-18, 2011.
- Russo J and Russo IH. The transcriptome of breast cancer prevention”. Proceeding of the Rat Genome and Models in the Cold Sping Harbor Symposium, December 7-10, 2011.
- Russo J and Russo IH.The biological basis of breast cancer”. Proceeding of the 58th Annual Radiation Research Meeting - September 29-October 3, 2012 - San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Russo, J. Chromatin remodeling in the breast of parous women overcome the window of susceptibility to cancer.Proceedimg of the Annual Meeting of the NIEHS-Breast Cancer and the Environment Research Program. San Francisco, CA, November 15-16, 2012.
- Thomas J. Pogash, Ricardo López de Cicco, Benjamin Pressly, Irma H. Russo, Julie A. Himmelberger, Shantu Amin, Krishne Gowda, Karam El-Bayoumy, Andrea Manni, , and Jose Russo. Polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids and their metabolites preferentially inhibit cell proliferation and motility in triple negative over luminal breast cancer cells. Proc Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. XX:2066a, 2013.
- Lamartiniere. C., Russo, J., Pinney, S., and Biro, F.Combinational Environmental Chemical Exposure in Prepubertal Rats and Adolescent Girls. Proceeding of the Interim Meeting of the WOS NIEHS.July, 2013.
- Santucci-Pereira, J.Julia, Anne Zeleniuch-Jacquotte, Yelena Afanasyeva, Hua Zhong, Suraj Peri, Eric A. Ross,Michael Slifker,Ricardo López de Cicco, Yubo Zhai, Irma H. Russo, Fathima Sheriff, Theresa Nguyen, Alan A. Arslan, Pal Bordas, Per Lenner, Janet Åhman, Anna Stina Landström Eriksson5, Robert Johansson8, Göran Hallmans8, Paolo Toniolo2,4,9, and Jose Russo. Gene expression profile induced by pregnancy in the breast of premenopausal women. Proc of Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2360a, 2014.
- Yanrong Su, Nathan Hopfinger, Thomas Pogash, Theresa Nguyen, Julia Pereira and Jose Russo.Epigenetic Reprogramming of Epithelial Mesenchymal Transition in Triple Negative Breast Cancer CellL with DNA Methyltransferase and Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors.Proc of Am Assoc Cancer Res.423a, 2014.
- Maria Barton, Julia Santucci-Pereira, Ricardo Lopez de Cicco, Irma H. Russo, Eric A. Ross,Michael Slifker, Suraj Peri, Pal Bordas, Per Lenner, Göran Hallmans, Paolo Toniolo, Jose RussoLong non-coding RNAs in the postmenopausal breast and their role in cancer prevention.Proc of Am Assoc Cancer Res. 1480a, 2014.
- antucci-Pereira, Julia, Colleen O’Malley, Ricardo López de Cicco, Nameer B. Kirma, Tim H. Huang, Joseph Liu. Eric A. Ross, Michael Slifker,Suraj Peri, Irma H. Russo, Pal Bordas, Per Lenner . Göran Hallmans, Paolo Toniolo, and Jose Russo. .Pregnancy changes the DNA methylation profile of the breast in postmenopausal women.Proc of Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2294a, 2014.
- Lee, S., Madhian, B., Sutter, C., Dickens, C., Russo, I., Russo J., Homayouri, R., and Sutter T. A novel algorithm for prioritizing candidate genes during malignant trasnfromation of MCF10F and basal-like breast cancer. Proc of Am Assoc Cancer Res. 451a, 2014.
- Russo, Jose. The role of epigenetic reprogramming in the neoplastic trasnfroamtion of human breast epithelial cells. Proceeding of the 60th Annual Meeting of the Research Raditaion Society S1501, Septembner 21-24, 2014. Red Rock Resort, Las Vegas, NV.
- Barton, M, Santucci-Pereira, J.Russo, J.Long non-coding RNAs in breast cancer prevention.Proceeding of the American Society for Cell Biology, 2014.
- Julia Santucci-Pereira, Sandy Weng, Michael Slifker2, Jose Russo. RNA splicing events are related to breast cancer prevention . Proc of Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2015.
- Maria Barton, Julia Santucci-Pereira, Theresa D. Nguyen, and Jose Russo Long non-coding RNAs in the breast of healthy women are detected in different subtypes of breast cancer. Proc of Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2015.