Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
North Carolina Central University
Durham, North Carolina, USA
Phone: (919) 530-6914
|1993-1997||PhD in Medical Sciences||University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA|
|1988-1990||Studies in Biochemistry||Havana University, Cuba|
|1985-1988||Bachelor of Science||IPVCE “Martires de Humboldt 7”, Havana, Cuba|
Dr. Dayami Lopez, PhD, is a tenured Professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and a Principal Investigator in the BRITE Institute at North Carolina Central University. Dr. Lopez has over 20 years experience in academic research with focus on atherosclerosis, breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. She received her BS in Cuba with concentration in Math and Biology. She earned her PhD in Medical Sciences, with concentration in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, at the University of South Florida (USF) College of Medicine. Her postdoctoral work (two years) and initial faculty position as Instructor (four years) were carried out in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, at the Tampa General Hospital and USF College of Medicine, with research support from the American Heart Association. Then, Dr. Lopez spent four years as a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Molecular Medicine at USF Medical School and one year as a Research Scientist at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute (Tampa). During this time, she was supported by grants from the American Heart Association and the Florida Department of Health. During her time at USF, she mentored two MD fellows and one PhD student. Dr. Lopez joined NCCU in 2008 and since then, she has mentored 14 Masters level graduate students. Her lab currently focuses on identifying novel regulators of PCSK9, a protease involved in hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis. Dr. Lopez serves as course director and main instructor for the undergraduate teamwork dynamics and pharma technical writing and graduate-level metabolic diseases and scientific writing classes. She is co-author in 43 publications and has submitted two invention disclosures.
- Regulation of the Hepatic LDL Receptor and PCSK9.
- Role of Hypothyroidism on Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Role of Hypothyroidism on Breast Cancer.
|2016-Present||Tenured Associate Professor, BRITE and College of Arts and Science, North Carolina Central University, Durham, North Carolina|
|2008-2016||Assistant Professor, BRITE and College of Arts and Science, North Carolina Central University, Durham, North Carolina|
|2007-2008||Research Scientist, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Tampa, Florida|
|2006-2008||Research Assistant Professor, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|2004-2006||Research Assistant Professor, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|2000-2004||Instructor, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|1997-1999||Research Associate (Postdoctoral Fellow), University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|2014-present||Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science|
|2014-present||Member of the National Lipid Association|
|2014-present||Member of the North Carolina Academy of Science|
|2006, 2014-present||Member of the American Heart Association: Councils on Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis & Vascular Biology|
|2000-2006||Member of the Endocrine Society|
|2000-2006||Member of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology|
Honors & Awards
|2017||College of Arts and Science Faculty Teaching Award, North Carolina Central University, Durham, North Carolina|
|2005||USF’s Research Rising Star, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|2000||Faculty/Student Research Day Superior Presentation, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|1999||Faculty/Student Research Day Superior Presentation, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|1997-1999||American Heart Association Post-Doctoral Fellowship, American Heart Association-FL Affiliate|
|1997||Faculty/Student Research Day Superior Presentation, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|1996||Association of Medical Science Graduate Student Travel Award, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|1995||Faculty/Student Research Day Superior Presentation, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|1994||Outstanding Student Poster Award, Suncoast Biomolecular Science Conference, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida|
|1993-1997||Florida/Georgia Alliance Minority Graduate Fellowship, Florida/Georgia Alliance|
- Ness, G.C., Eales, S., Lopez, D., Zhao, Z. Regulation of 3-Hydroxy-3-Methylglutaryl Coenzyme A Reductase Gene Expression by Sterols and Nonsterols in Rat Liver. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 308: 420-425, 1994.
- Krol, G.J., Beck, G.W., Ritter, W., Ritter, J.T., Lettieri, J.T., Ness, G.C., Lopez, D., Heller, A.H. Determination of Rivastatin Levels in Plasma Samples by HPLC and Enzyme Inhibition Assays. Royal Society of Chemistry 23: 147-156, 1994.
- Ness, G.C., Lopez, D. Transcriptional Regulation of Rat Hepatic LDL Receptor and Cholesterol 7a Hydroxylase by Thyroid Hormone. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 323:404-408, 1995.
- Ness, G.C., Zhao, Z., Lopez, D. Inhibitors of Cholesterol Biosynthesis Increase Hepatic Low-Density Lipoprotein Receptor Protein Degradation. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 325:242-248, 1996.
- Ness, G.C., Lopez, D., Borrego, O., Gilbert-Barness, E. Increased Expression of Low Density Lipoprotein Receptors in a Smith-Lemli-Opitz Infant with Elevated Bilirubin Levels. Am. J. Med. Genet. 68, 294-299, 1997.
- Lopez, D., Chambers, C.M., Ness, G.C. 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl Coenzyme A Reductase Inhibitors Unmask Cryptic Regulatory Mechanisms. Arch. Bioch. Biophys. 343:118-122, 1997.
- Lopez, D., Ness, G.C. Inhibitors of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl Coenzyme A Reductase Unmask Transcriptional Regulation of Hepatic Low Density Lipoprotein Receptor Gene Expression by Dietary Cholesterol. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 344:215-219, 1997.
- Ness, G.C., Chambers, C.M., Lopez, D. Atorvastatin Action Involves Diminished Recovery of Hepatic HMG-CoA Reductase Activity. J. Lipid Res. 39:75-84, 1998.
- Lopez, D., Chambers, C.M., Keller, R.K., Ness, G.C. Compensatory Responses to Inhibition of Hepatic Squalene Synthase. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 351:159-166, 1998.
- Ness, G.C., Lopez, D., Chambers, C.M., Newsome, W.P., Cornelius, P., Long, C.A., Harwood, H.L. Effects of L-Triiodothyronine and the Thyromimetic L-94901 on Serum Lipoprotein Levels and Hepatic Low Density Lipoprotein Receptor, 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl Coenzyme A Reductase, and Apo A-1 Gene Expression. Biochemical Pharmacology 56:121-129, 1998.
- Ness, G.C., Lopez, D., Chambers, C.M., Zhao, Z., Beach, D., Ko, S.S., Trzaskos, J.M. Effects of 15-Oxa-32-vinyl-lanost-8-ene-3b,32 diol on the Expression of 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl Coenzyme A Reductase and Low Density Lipoprotein Receptors in Rat Liver. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 357:259-264, 1998.
- Lopez, D., Sandhoff, T.W., McLean, M.P. Steroidogenic Factor-1 Mediates 3’,5’-Cyclic Adenosine Monophosphate Regulation of the High-Density Lipoprotein Receptor. Endocrinology 140:3034-3044, 1999.
- Lopez, D., McLean, M.P. Sterol regulatory element binding protein-1a binds to cis-elements in the promoter of the rat high-density lipoprotein receptor SR-BI gene. Endocrinology, 140:5669-5681, 1999.
- Shea-Eaton, W.K., Lopez, D., McLean, M.P. Yin Yang 1 Protein Negatively Regulates High-Density Lipoprotein Receptor Gene Transcription by Disrupting Binding of Sterol Regulatory Element Binding Protein to the Sterol Regulatory Element. Endocrinology 142:49-58, 2001.
- Shea-Eaton, W.K., Trinidad, M.J., Lopez, D., McLean, M.P. Sterol Regulatory Element Binding Protein-1a Regulation of the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Protein Gene. Endocrinology 142:1525-1533, 2001.
- Lopez, D., Shea-Eaton, W.K., McLean, M.P. Characterization of a Steroidogenic Factor-1 Binding Site Found in the Promoter of the Sterol Carrier Protein-2 Gene. Endocrine 14:253-261, 2001.
- Lopez, D., Nackley, A.C., Shea-Eaton, W.K., Xue, J., Schimmer, B.P., McLean, M.P. Effects of Mutating Different Steroidogenic Factor-1 Protein Regions on Gene Regulation. Endocrine 14:353-362, 2001.
- Lopez, D., Shea-Eaton, W.K., Sanchez, M.D., McLean, M.P. DAX-1 Represses the High Density Lipoprotein Receptor Through Interaction with Positive Regulators Sterol Regulatory Element-Binding Protein-1a and Steroidogenic Factor-1. Endocrinology 142:5097-5106, 2001.
- Nackley, A.C., Shea-Eaton, W., Lopez, D., McLean, M.P. Repression of the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Gene by the Multifunctional Transcription Factor Yin Yang 1. Endocrinology 143:1085-1096, 2002.
- Shea-Eaton, W., Sandhoff, T.W., Lopez, D., Hales, D.B., McLean, M.P. Transcriptional repression of the rat steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein gene by the AP-1 family member c-Fos. Mol Cell Endocrinol 188:161-170, 2002.
- Lopez, D., Sanchez, M.D., Shea-Eaton, W., McLean, M.P. Estrogen activates the high-density lipoprotein receptor gene via binding to estrogen response elements and interaction with sterol regulatory element binding protein-1a. Endocrinology 143:2155-2168, 2002.
- Lopez, D., Irby, R.B., McLean, M.P. Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptor Induces Rat Sterol Carrier Protein X Expression through Two Peroxisome Proliferator Response Elements. Mol Cell Endocrinol 205:169-184, 2003.
- Lopez D, McLean MP. Estrogen Regulation of the Scavenger Receptor Class B Gene: Anti-atherogenic or Steroidogenic, Is There a Priority? Mol Cell Endocrinol 247:22-33, 2006.
- Ness GC, Holland RC, Lopez D. Selective Compensatory Induction of Hepatic HMG-CoA Reductase in Response to Inhibition of Cholesterol Absorption. Exp Biol Med 231:559-565, 2006.
- Lopez D, McLean MP. Activation of the rat scavenger receptor class B type I gene by PPAR-alpha. Mol Cell Endocrinol 251:67-77, 2006.
- Lopez D, Ness GC. Characterization of the Rat LDL Receptor 5'-Flanking Region. BBA: Mol Cell Biol Lipids 1761:492-500, 2006.
- Lopez D, Niesen M, Bedi M, McLean MP. Activation of the SCPx Promoter in Mouse Adrenocortical Y1 Cells. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 357:549-553, 2007.
- Lopez D, Abisambra Socarras JF, Bedi M, Ness GC. Activation of the Hepatic LDL Receptor Promoter by Thyroid Hormone. BBA: Mol. Cell. Biol. Lipids 1771:1216-1225, 2007.
- Niesen M, Bedi M, Lopez D. Diabetes Alters LDL Receptor and PCSK9 Expression in Rat Liver. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 470:111-115, 2008.
- Bedi M, Niesen MI, Lopez D. Inhibition of Squalene Synthase Upregulates PCSK9 Expression in Rat Liver. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 470:116-119, 2008.
- Lopez D, Niesen M, Bedi M, McLean MP. Lauric Acid Dependent Enhancement in Hepatic SCPx Protein Requires an Insulin Deficient Environment. Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fatty Acids 78:131-135, 2008.
- Lopez D. PCSK9: An Enigmatic Protease. BBA: Mol. Cell. Biol. Lipids 1781:184-191, 2008.
- Lopez D, Sekharam M, Coppola D, Carter WB. Purified human chorionic gonadotropin induces apoptosis in breast cancer. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 7:2837-2844, 2008.
- Lopez D. Inhibition of PCSK9 as a novel strategy for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia. Drug News and Perspectives 21:323-330, 2008.
- Lopez D, Niu G, Huber P, Carter WB. Tumor-induced upregulation of twist, snail, and slug represses the activity of the human VE-cadherin promoter. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 482:77-82, 2009.
- Lopez D, Brooks PA, Boone LR, Ness GC. Using in vivo electroporation to identify hepatic LDL receptor promoter elements and transcription factors mediating activation of transcription by T3. Applied & Translational Genomics 1:30-36, 2012.
- Wooten CJ, Adcock AF, Agina-Obu DI, Lopez D (corresponding author). Having excess levels of PCSK9 is not sufficient to induce complex formation between PCSK9 and the LDL receptor. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 545C:124-132, 2014.
- Ivaturi S, Wooten CJ, Nguyen MD, Ness GC, Lopez D. Distribution of the LDL receptor within clathrin-coated pits and caveolae in rat and human liver. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 445:422-427, 2014.
- Wooten CJ, Fakayode A, Adcock AF, Davis KM, King RS, Rhodes DD, Lopez D. Osmotic stress modulates the expression and function of the human LDL receptor. Cell. Dev. Biol. 3:3, 2014.
- Ivaturi S, Wooten CJ, Lopez D. Zaragozic Acid A enhances the internalization of VLDL in human hepatocyte-like C3A cells. Aperito J. Cell. Mol. Biol. 1:1, 2015.
- Lopez D, Agina-Obu D, Woteen CJ. Monensin enhances the binding of LDL to human hepatocyte-like C3A cells without increasing the number of LDL receptors at the plasma membrane. Am Res J Pharm 1:1, 2015.
- Wooten CJ, Assisou M, Agina D, Lopez D. Effects of ezetimibe on Niemann Pick C1 Like 1 expression in human hepatocyte-like C3A cells. Aperito J. Cell. Mol. Biol. 2:1, 2016.
- Lopez D. Proteins interacting with PCSK9: a potential for personalized medicine (Invited Short Communication). Pharmacology & Therapeutics – Remedy Open Access. 2:1056, 2017.
- Dayo AM, Wooten CJ, Ahmed S, Lopez D. Treating human hepatocyte-like C3A cells with estrogen, thyroid hormone, and insulin reduced the ability of PCSK9 to form complexes with the LDL receptor. Pharmacology & Therapeutics – Remedy Open Access. 2:1060, 2017.
- Melendez QM, Krishnaji ST, Wooten CJ, Lopez D. Hypercholesterolemia: the role of PCSK9. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 625-626:39-53, 2017.