Department of Epidemiology
The Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University
Measurement, Design, Analysis Methods for Health Outcomes Research Certificate
T-32 NIH Fellowship in Perinatal Epidemiology, Michigan State University, Lansing, MI
Mary Grzybowski currently serves as an epidemiologist and conducts research on infectious diseases and vector-borne diseases. She also teaches classes to undergraduate and graduate students, and works with grad students on capstone projects. She conducted research in high school that inspired her interest in her current research.
Honors And Awards
|1995||Special Contribution Award, Department of Veterans Affairs, VISN 11, U.S. Government.|
|2000||Training Award Grant, Research and Technology Transfer in Computerized Electrocardiology, International Society for Computerized Electrocardiology|
|2000||Educational Grant Award for the AAMC Professional Development for Junior Women Faculty, Nominated by the Dean of Wayne State University Medical School|
|2002||2000 Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation Award (first-author): Excellence in Clinical Research Award for Best Manuscript: The prevalence of latex-specific IgE in patients presenting to an urban emergency department|
Original Observations in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Scott MS, Grzybowski M, Webb S. Perceptions and practices of registered nurses regarding pastoral care and the spiritual needs of patients. JPC 1994; 48:163-170.
- Grzybowski M, Ownby DR and Johnson CC. Maternal alcohol ingestion and blood cord IgE concentrations. Pediatric Asthma, Allergy and Immunology 1995; 9:193-198.
- Grzybowski M, Ownby DR, Peyser P, Johnson CC, Schork AM. The prevalence of anti-latex IgE antibodies among registered nurses. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunol 1996;98:535-44.
- Morris DC, Dereczyk BE, Grzybowski M, Rivers EP, Wortsman J. Vasopressin increases coronary perfusion pressure during human cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Academic Emergency Medicine. 1997;4:878-883.
- Ander DS, Jaggi FM, Rivers EP, Rady, MY, Levine TB, Levine AB, Masura J, Grzybowski M. Undetected cardiogenic shock patients presenting to the emergency department. American Journal of Cardiology 1998;82:888-891.
- Zalenski RJ, Grzybowski M, Ross MA, Blaustein N, Bock B. ECG scores for triage of patients with acute myocardial infarction transported by the emergency medical system. Journal of Electrocardiology May, 2000:33245-249.
- Grzybowski M, Zalenski RJ, Ross MA, Bock B. A prediction model for prehospital triage of patients with suspected cardiac ischemia. Journal of Electrocardiology May, 2000:33:253-258.
- Bell, SJ, Leibrandt PN, Greenfield JC, Selvester RH, Clifton J, Zhou S, Maynard C, Finch K, Bowden M, Smith D, Severence HW, Grzybowski M, Warner RA, Wagner GS. Comparison of an automated thrombolytic predictive instrument to both diagnostic software and an expert cardiologist for diagnosis of an ST elevation in acute myocardial infarction. Journal of Electrocardiology May, 2000;33:259-262.
- Kosnik JK, Zalenski RJ, Grzybowski M, Huang R, Sweeny PS, Welch R. Impact of Technetium-99m Sestamibi Imaging on the Emergency Department Management and Costs in the Evaluation of Low Risk Chest Pain. Academic Emergency Medicine. April 2001:8(4):315-23.
- Welch RD, Zalenski RJ, Frederick PD, Malmgren JA, Compton S, Grzybowski M, Thomas S, Kowalenko T, Every NR. Prognostic value of a normal or nonspecific initial electrocardiogram in acute myocardial infarction. JAMA. 2001;286:1977-1984.
- Grzybowski M, Ownby D, Rivers R, O’Neil B, Zalenski R, Nowak R, Ander D. The prevalence of latex-specific IgE in patients presenting to an urban emergency department. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2002;40:411-419.
- Grzybowski M, Clements E, Parsons L, Welch RD, Tintanilli A, Ross M, Zalenski RJ. Mortality benefit of immediate revascularization of acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction in patients with contraindications to thrombolytic therapy: A propensity analysis. JAMA. 2003 290:1891-1898.
- Grzybowski M, Welch RD, Parsons L, Ndumele CE, Chen E, Zalenski R, Harron HV. The
association between white blood cell count and myocardial infarction mortality: Findings from the national registry of myocardial infarction. Academic Emergency Medicine 2004;11:1049-1060.
- Pitta SR, Grzybowski M, Welch RD, Frederick PD, Wahl R, Zalenski RJ. ST-Segment Depression on the Initial ECG in Acute MI-Prognostic Significance and its Effect on Short Term Mortality: A Report From the Second National Registry of Myocardial Infarction (NRMI-2, 3, 4) Am J Cardiol 2005;95:843-848.
- Rosenthal MS, Klein K, Cowling K, Grzybowski M, Dunne R. Disaster Modeling: Medication Resources Required for Disaster Team Response. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 2005;20:309-15.
- Rogers AM, Ramanath VS, Grzybowski M, Riba AL, Jani SM, Mehta R, De Franco AC, Parrish R, Skorcz S, Baker PL, Faul J, Chen B, Roychoudhury C, Elma MA, Mitchell KR, Froehlich JB, Montoye C, Eagle KA. American College of Cardiology Foundation Bethesda, MD. The association between guideline-based treatment instructions at the point of discharge and lower 1-year mortality in Medicare patients after acute myocardial infarction: the American College of Cardiology's Guidelines Applied in Practice (GAP) initiative in Michigan. American Heart Journal 2007; 154:461-9.
- Ramanath VS, Armstrong DF, Grzybowski M, Rahnama-Mohagdam S, Tamhane UU, Gordon K, Froehlich JB, Eagle KA, Jackson EA. Discharge medication use and outcomes in acute coronary syndrome patients with non-obstructive coronary artery disease. Am Heart J 2007. 154(3);461-9.
- Jamil H, Grzybowski M, Hakim-Larson J, Fakhouri M, Sahutoglu J, Khoury R, Fakhouri H. Self-Reported Depression in Arab, Chaldean, and African Americans: Factors Associated with Self-Diagnosed Depression. Ethnicity and Disease 2008; 18 (4);464-70.
- Dussan KB, K, Galbraith E, Grzybowski M, Vautaw BM, Murray L, Eagle K. Effects of refugee elective on medical student perceptions. BMC Med Educ 2009; 9:15;1-8.
- Ramanath VS, Armstrong DF, Grzybowski M, Rahnama-Mohagdam S, Tamhane UU, Gordon K, Froehlich JB, Eagle KA, Jackson EA. Receipt of cardiac medications upon discharge among men and women with acute coronary syndrome and nonobstructive coronary heart disease. Clin Cardiol 2010; 33:36-41.
- Galbraith EM, Vautaw BM, Grzybowski M, Henke PK, Wakefield TW, Froehlich JB. Variation in physician deep vein thrombosis prophylaxis attitudes and practices at an academic tertiary care center. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2010 [epub].
- Olumu AB, Grzybowski M, Ramanath VS, Rogers A, Chen B, Motyka B, Roychoudhury C, Jackson EA, Eagle, KA. Evidence of bias among minorities in the application of quality improvement efforts for the treatment of acute myocardial infarction: The American College of Cardiology’s Guidelines Applied in Practice Initiative in Michigan 2010; 159 (3); 337-84.
- Jamil H, Hamadan T, Grzybowski M, Arnetz BB. Health effects associated with geographical area of residence during the 1991 gulf war: A comparative health study of Iraqi soldiers and civilians. US Army Med Dep J. 2011; Jul-Sept:86-95.
- Mahajan P, Grzybowski M, Chen X, Kannikeswaran N, Stanley R, et al. Procalcitonin as a marker of serious bacterial infections in febrile children younger than 3 years old. Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Feb;21(2):171-9. PubMed PMID: 24673673.
- Jamil HJ, Rajan AK, Grzybowski M, Fakhouri M, Arnetz B. Obesity and overweight in ethnic minorities of the Detroit metropolitan area of Michigan. J Community Health. 2014 Apr;39(2):301-9. PubMed PMID: 23990337.
- Sippey M, Mozer AB, Grzybowski M, Manwaring ML, Kasten KR, Adrales GL, Pofahl WE, Spaniolas K. Obstructing ventral hernias are not independently associated with surgical site infections. J Surg Res. 2015 Apr 30. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2015.04.079 PMID: 26004497
- Sippey M, Grzybowski M, Manwaring ML, Kasten KR, Chapman WH, Pofahl WE, Pories WJ, Spaniolas K. Acute cholecystitis: risk factors for conversion to an open procedure. J Surg Research. 2015 Jun 12. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2015.05.040 PMID: 26092215