- :(858) 822-6040 :(858) 822-6081
Radiation Medicine & Applied Sciences
University of California at San Diego
|2011-2015|| Residency - Radiation Oncology
Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (JHU), Baltimore, MD
Department of Medicine - Transitional Year Program
The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Dr. Sharabi graduated Summa Cum Laude in 2001 from the University of California at San Diego with a B.S. in Bioengineering. He then enrolled in the Medical Scientist Training Program program at Baylor College of Medicine and received his Ph.D. in Immunology in 2009 and M.D. in 2010. Dr. Sharabi then completed his residency training at the Johns Hopkins Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences.
While at Johns Hopkins he won numerous awards for his research projects including the 1st place John G. Rangos Medal of Honor for Creativity in Cancer Discovery. He also received the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Resident/Fellow seed grant to support his research investigating the effects of Radiation combined with anti-PD-1 checkpoint blockade immunotherapy. His work was ranked as one of the top abstracts submitted to the ASTRO 2014 Annual Meeting and he presented his findings at the featured Plenary Session of the ASTRO 2014 Annual Meeting.
Dr. Sharabi was recruited to the UCSD Department of Radiation Oncology in 2015 as a Physician-Scientist. His clinical specialties include Skin Cancer (Including Melanoma), Thoracic Malignancies, Genitourinary Cancer, and Head and Neck Cancer. His laboratory focuses on understanding the effects of radiation on the immune system and strategies to combine radiation with immunotherapy. He has published his work in top journals including the Lancet Oncology and has served on NCI Clinical Trials Planning Committee Panels."
Honors And Awards
|2015||Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award|
|2015||American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Travel Award|
|2014|| American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Resident Clinical
Basic Science Research Award
|2013|| Hopkins Spore Grant Pilot Project Co-Investigator: Cellular Immunity
in HPV Oropharyngeal Cancer, Johns Hopkins University
|2013|| ASTRO Residents/Fellows in Radiation Oncology Research Seed Grant,
Johns Hopkins University
|2012|| 1st Place John G. Rangos Medal of Honor for Creativity in Cancer
Discovery, Johns Hopkins University
|2008||1st Place Talk, BCM MD/PhD Program Annual Symposium|
|2007||1st Place Talk, BCM Immunology Department Annual Symposium|
- Hintermann E, Bilban M, Sharabi A, Quaranta V. “Inhibitory role of alpha 6 beta4-associated erbB-2 and phosphoinositide 3-kinase in keratinocyte haptotacticmigration dependent on alpha 3 beta 1 integrin.” J Cell Biol. 2001 Apr30;153(3):465-78.
- Hintermann E, Haake SK, Christen U, Sharabi A, Quaranta V. “Discrete proteolysis of focal contact and adherens junction components in Porphyromonas gingivalis-infected oral keratinocytes: a strategy for cell adhesion and migration disabling.” Infect Immun. 2002 Oct;70(10):5846-56.
- Pirila E, Sharabi A, Salo T, Quaranta V, Tu H, Heljasvaara R, Koshikawa N, SorsaT, Maisi P. “Matrix metalloproteinases process the laminin-5 gamma 2-chain and Andrew B. Sharabi Sept 1st, 2015 -
- regulate epithelial cell migration.” Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003 Apr 18;303(4):1012-7. Koshikawa N, Schenk S, Moeckel G, Sharabi A, Miyazaki K, Gardner H, Zent R,Quaranta V. “Proteolytic processing of laminin-5 by MT1-MMP in tissues and itseffects on epithelial cell morphology.” FASEB J. 2004 Feb;18(2):364-6.
- Bilban M, Ghaffari-Tabrizi N, Hintermann E, Bauer S, Molzer S, Zoratti C, Malli R, Sharabi A, Hiden U, Graier W, Knofler M, Andreae F, Wagner O, Quaranta V, Desoye G. “Kisspeptin-10, a KiSS-1/metastin-derived decapeptide, is a physiological invasion inhibitor of primary human trophoblasts.” J Cell Sci. 2004 Apr 15;117(Pt 8):1319-28.
- Koshikawa N, Minegishi T, Sharabi A, Quaranta V, Seiki M. "Membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MT1-MMP) is a processing enzyme for human laminin gamma 2 chain." J Biol Chem. 2005 Jan 7;280(1):88-93.
- Sharabi AB., Aldrich M., Sosic D., Olson EN., Friedman AD., Lee SH., Chen SY."Twist-2 Controls Myeloid Lineage Development and Function." PLoS Biology. 2008 Dec 16;6(12)
- Lee SH., Hong B., Sharabi AB., Huang XF., Chen SY. "Embryonic Stem Cells and Mammary Luminal Progenitors Directly Sense and Respond to Microbial Products." Stem Cells 2009 Jul;27(7):1604-15.
- Sharabi AB., Lee SH., Goodell MA., Huang XF., Chen SY. "Enhanced Generation of Myeloid Lineages in Hematopoietic Differentiation from Embryonic Stem Cells by Silencing Transcriptional Repressor Twist-2". Cloning Stem Cells. 2009 Dec;11(4):523-33.
- Pinkawa M, Schoth F, Böhmer D, Hatiboglu G, Sharabi A, Song D, Eble MJ. "Current standards and future directions for prostate cancer radiation therapy." Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2013 Jan;13(1):75-88
- Wild AT, Hiniker SM, Chang DT, Tran PT, Khashab MA, Limaye MR, Laheru DA, Le DT, Kumar R, Pai JS, Hargens B, Sharabi AB, Shin EJ, Zheng L, Pawlik TM, Wolfgang CL, Koong AC, Herman JM. "Re-irradiation with stereotactic body radiation therapy as a novel treatment option for isolated local recurrence of pancreatic cancer after multimodality therapy: Experience from two institutions." J Gastrointest Oncol. 2013 Dec;4(4):343-51.
- McNutt T., Evans K., Moore J., Yang W., Herman J., Quon H., Sharabi A., WongJ., DeWeese T. "WE-‐G-‐108-‐02: Oncospace: A Database Designed for PersonalizedMedicine in Radiation Oncology" Med. Phys. 40, 501 (2013);
- Sharabi AB., Herman J., Weiss V., Laheru DA., Tuli R., "Role of radiotherapy combined with chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy in the management of pancreatic cancer." J Radiat Oncol (2013) 2:369–379
- Yang WY., Moore J., Quon H., Evans K., Sharabi A., Herman J., Hacker-Prietz A., McNutt T. "Browser Based Platform in Maintaining Clinical Activities – Use of the iPads in Head and Neck Clinics." 2014 J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 489 012095
- Raval RR., Sharabi AB., Walker AJ., Drake CG., Sharma P. "Tumor immunology and cancer immunotherapy: summary of the 2013 SITC primer." Journal for ImmunoTherapy of Cancer 2014, 2:14 (14 May 2014)
- Sharabi AB, Nirschl CJ, Kochel CM, Nirschl TR, Francica BJ, Velarde E, DeWeese TL, Drake CG. "Stereotactic Radiation Therapy Augments Antigen Specific PD-1 Mediated Anti-Tumor Immune Responses via Cross-Presentation of Tumor Antigen." Cancer Immunol Res. 2014 Dec 19.
- Sharabi AB., Drake CG. "Radiation boosts immunotherapy." Cancer Discov. – News in Brief 2014 Dec;4(12):1360-1. Epub 2014 Oct 16.
- Sharabi AB., Tran PT., Lim M., Drake CG., DeWeese TL., "Stereotactic Radiotherapy combined with Immunotherapy: Augmenting Radiation’s Role in Local and Systemic Treatment." Oncology. 2015 May;29(5):331-40.
- Robertson SP, Quon H, Kiess AP, Moore JA, Yang W, Cheng Z, Afonso S, Allen M, Richardson M, Choflet A, Sharabi AB., McNutt TR. A data-mining framework for large scale analysis of dose-outcome relationships in a database of irradiated head and neck cancer patients. Med Phys. 2015 Jul;42(7):4329.
- Sharabi AB., Drake CG. "Radiation Combined with Checkpoint Blockade Immunotherapy: Radiosensitization and Potential Mechanisms of Synergy." 2015 Lancet Oncology – In Press
- Sharabi AB., Myers L., Bin S., Dah S., Duhon M., Ford K., Zellars RC., Asrari F."Dosimetric Impact and 3D Non-Deformable Modeling of Metallic Breast Expander Ports During Post-Mastectomy Radiation Therapy." In Preparation
- Walker A., Nirschl C., Nugent K., Nirschl TR., Harris TJ., Sharabi AB., Velarde E., Wong J., Hales R., Drake CG., Tran PT. "PD-L1 blockade and radiation results in tumor and immunological responses in an autochthonous mouse model of lung cancer."
- Sharabi AB., Huynh-Le M., Tryggestad E., Alcorn S., Ahuja N., Frassica DA., McNutt TR., Herman, J., Hales RK., Terezakis SA. "PTV Safety Margin Derivation from analysis of Cone Beam-CT Shifts for Abdomino-pelvic Soft Tissue Sarcomas."
- Nirschl CJ., Francica BJ., Kochel CM., Nirschl TR. McAllister F., Durham NM., Alme A., Jackson CM., Sharabi AB., Shen YC., Martin A., Anandasabapathy N., Brockstedt DG., DubenskyTW., Lauer P., Drake CG. "Attenuated Listeria Monocytogenes Vaccines Activate a Unique Transcriptional Signature in CD8α+ Dendritic Cells that Drives Decreased